Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Whenever I've wanted to try out something different in terms of stiffness or handedness or blade pattern, I've been able to find like a $30 wooden stick that's close enough. Is that not possible where you live? If you don't break sticks all the time a composite stick will be cheaper in the long term (if the thing about wooden sticks starting to break down and perform differently after 3-4 months is true) but if you're not sure you're going to like something it seems like it's worthwhile to go cheap.

And when you're done with it you can use it to make a novelty picture frame.

I'd need to see how it felt in actual game and shot situations, dont think I'd get the same feel from a wood or a cheaper composite stick, especially in flex and response from the shaft. I break down high end composite sticks in 3-4 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I feel you. I switched from P71 to PM9 because of availability.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only issue I've had when I alternate between my wood stick and my composite is the weight. They're the same length, same lie, same flex, just a different curve. So in theory they "feel" the same even if the puck comes off the blade a little different. But it's always the weight that kills with the wood stick, especially if I'm practicing shooting. A few dozen shots in a row and my arms are feeling it.

Granted, I'm not a good enough shooter to really flex the poo poo out of the stick so I'm not really getting into that whole flex point business yet.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Chemmy posted:

I feel you. I switched from P71 to PM9 because of availability.

PM9 for life. I seriously love that curve.

DC, why don't you try a shaft/blade combo? High end blades are ~$70 (cheaper if you can find last year's model) I've only ever used 2 piece sticks and I have yet to break one. Granted I'm not the biggest guy but my current APX combo has lasted me for about a years worth of roller hockey. High end 2 piece sticks are much much cheaper than their one piece counterparts.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

D C posted:

I'd need to see how it felt in actual game and shot situations, dont think I'd get the same feel from a wood or a cheaper composite stick, especially in flex and response from the shaft. I break down high end composite sticks in 3-4 months.

Wow. As far as I can tell, with my usage composite sticks last roughly forever.

xzzy posted:

Only issue I've had when I alternate between my wood stick and my composite is the weight.

Same. But I am also not a great shooter.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Weird question but I thought if anyone has a good answer it'll be this thread. I generally ride my bicycle everywhere - I have a backpack that I can get all my gear in and ride with but I'm looking for a solution for my stick that isn't just holding it. Anyone aware of any clips I could potentially attach to the bars of my frame that would snugly hold the stick? Obviously it would stick up or out a little, but it's not a long ride and it's all along bike path anyhow.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

That total hockey deal was too good to pass up, grabbed a RSII for less than the RS I got on clearance this summer. Went back to the P4 curve I had on the EQ30 I tried out. Moved from the P7 I had on my last 2 RS's.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

NoArmedMan posted:

I have a backpack that I can get all my gear in and ride with but I'm looking for a solution for my stick that isn't just holding it.
Perhaps some sort of handlebar mount to assist with your aim

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Pleads posted:

Perhaps some sort of handlebar mount to assist with your aim

It'd need to be more solid than that solution, I want to maim people

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Only issue I've had when I alternate between my wood stick and my composite is the weight. They're the same length, same lie, same flex, just a different curve. So in theory they "feel" the same

I really can't agree here and am confused by any theory that wood would react the same as a composite material. Just used a friends wooden stick with same configuration as mine and not even close to the same feel skating with the puck, deflections felt weird. I dunno.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

NoArmedMan posted:

Weird question but I thought if anyone has a good answer it'll be this thread. I generally ride my bicycle everywhere - I have a backpack that I can get all my gear in and ride with but I'm looking for a solution for my stick that isn't just holding it. Anyone aware of any clips I could potentially attach to the bars of my frame that would snugly hold the stick? Obviously it would stick up or out a little, but it's not a long ride and it's all along bike path anyhow.

Velcro straps to fix it to the top tube?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Buy bungee cords with the metal hooks on the end, attach it to straps/other places of backpack. I can think if a few ways to rig it that will hold a stick.

QQ: are intermediate blades the same size as senior blades for one piece sticks?

edit: I like sticks that have a bit of heft because I feel like I can just force my stick through someone else's push, harder for them to move my stick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

I really can't agree here and am confused by any theory that wood would react the same as a composite material. Just used a friends wooden stick with same configuration as mine and not even close to the same feel skating with the puck, deflections felt weird. I dunno.

In a straight up materials comparison, yes a composite will be fundamentally different than a wood stick. But I can do the same things with the two sticks with the same amount of competency and I'm not sure how else one could quantify the usability of a hockey stick.

I'm sure if I was a better shooter and could push the limits of the stick further the composite would do better. But as I'm sure we're all aware, I ain't there yet.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Chemmy posted:

Velcro straps to fix it to the top tube?

Ah, good idea. I have some from sailing too! Perfect. Thanks!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

NoArmedMan posted:

I use an old bicycle rubber inner tube to tie my sticks along the top tube so that they run parallel to the ground. Keep the grip near the front of the frame and hang your blades of the back.

You can then pedal, turn, go over bumps and whatever ride you need to turn. If the sticks are to far forward, they might interfere with your steering.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

But I can do the same things with the two sticks with the same amount of competency and I'm not sure how else one could quantify the usability of a hockey stick.

You understand that that's not theoretical then, yeah? Kind of my point.

And this isn't a jab at your playing skill, quite the opposite, as comfortable players can have preferences but can get the job done with almost any tool (like you're saying). So it sounds like you're coming along great!

Edit: scud is a bad influence. My warriors toe is chipped too much so I got 2 sticks from hockey monkey on the way, including my first Bauer although it's got a different lie so I will probably hate it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

sellouts posted:

Edit: scud is a bad influence. My warriors toe is chipped too much so I got 2 sticks from hockey monkey on the way, including my first Bauer although it's got a different lie so I will probably hate it.
Unfortunately you are probably right. I never used to really pay attention to lie that much and I'd get some sticks that just wouldn't work as good for me and I couldn't figure it out until a friend of mine pointed it out to me. Now lie is something I try to find the same in every stick I buy along with blade pattern and flex. It makes buying a stick a loving algebra problem but it is still fun shopping for them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

The toes on both my Easton Makos are chipped to hell too. I've never had that happen before on any of my sticks. I am going to pick up an RS as well :(

In other news, there's nothing like going short-side top shelf from the bottom of the circle on the PK. :sicknasty:
Pulled off a 4-1 win against our biggest rival and kept control of first place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The toe on my CCM stick is the only part showing any significant wear as well.. bought it last May.

I guess I could tape all the way past the toe to protect it a bit more but :effort:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone know what Easton's PM9 equivalent blade is? I'm looking at their chart and the closest thing I can find is the E4 Cammalleri.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zetterberg/forsberg/Modano I believe

bigbillystyle posted:

Unfortunately you are probably right. I never used to really pay attention to lie that much and I'd get some sticks that just wouldn't work as good for me and I couldn't figure it out until a friend of mine pointed it out to me. Now lie is something I try to find the same in every stick I buy along with blade pattern and flex. It makes buying a stick a loving algebra problem but it is still fun shopping for them.

I usually do the exact same thing. My only hope is that I am soon going to relearn how to shoot the puck via lessons and maybe I will like it then?

I've been shooting the same way for the past like 18 years but I feel like I've picked up some bad habits and hopefully can fix it with some help from a coach by focusing on the basics.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 28, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok yeah you're right. Looks like it's the Cam now.

2 pack of RS IIs on the way.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's a place called Integral Stick Repair that will fix the toe of your composite stick.

I tape over it so they don't chip.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Woah, there's actually a location in San Jose. I may have to take them there next time I'm in SJ. Nice! Any idea how much it costs? I don't see anything on their website.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I dropped off two sticks with the blade split lengthwise down the blade and they were $30 each.

I think it's $15 for a toe. I'll take pics when I pick the sticks up tomorrow.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nice. Thanks Chemmy. Probably not worth shipping my sticks anywhere but if I ever come up to SJ/SF to skate I'll bring it with.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that's actually a killer deal rather than scrapping a stick.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sellouts posted:

Nice. Thanks Chemmy. Probably not worth shipping my sticks anywhere but if I ever come up to SJ/SF to skate I'll bring it with.

They have franchises all over. Nothing in LA?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nope, not a one.

Maybe I should franchise one hahaha just kidding I like having good credit

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Finally start training again tonight, its meant to be 100-110F outside for the next week or so, I may just live at the rink and practice. Perfect excuse.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Chemmy posted:

They have franchises all over. Nothing in LA?

To follow up the SJ guy emailed me back and they're picking a franchiser this year. I have a feeling that it'll be Jake's in El Segundo.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

These things fuckin rule even more in person
Gonna be interesting going back to a locked thumb

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Only thing better would be if it had :911: on it, or the palms made from bald eagle.

In stick news, I ordered my 2-pack yesterday and they're being delivered tomorrow. Living in the same state as HM rules.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Only thing better would be if it had :911: on it, or the palms made from bald eagle.

In stick news, I ordered my 2-pack yesterday and they're being delivered tomorrow. Living in the same state as HM rules.
:argh: I ordered my RSII's from hockeygiant on Monday and I just now got a shipping notification. loving hell I was hoping to have them before my next game on Monday.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

real_scud posted:

:argh: I ordered my RSII's from hockeygiant on Monday and I just now got a shipping notification. loving hell I was hoping to have them before my next game on Monday.

Yea still waiting for my notification, but I'm not in a huge hurry. But I'm interested to see how the p4 works out with the new blade construction and going back to no grip.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I bought a non grip stick. Figured how bad could it be? Everything used to be non grip.

Couldn't sell it fast enough.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

AboveAndBeyond posted:

These things fuckin rule even more in person
Gonna be interesting going back to a locked thumb

I got mine today too, can't wait to try them out :911:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Speaking of buying stuff, I got new socks. If you dudes and lady-dudes are looking for custom knit socks, I just got some this past week. The site has no minimum order and is pretty much fully customizable. $15+shipping per pair, but worth it if you want a certain kind of socks.

https://www.modellinehockeysocks.com/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chemmy posted:

I bought a non grip stick. Figured how bad could it be? Everything used to be non grip.

Couldn't sell it fast enough.

Grip sticks are worse than satan himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Grip sticks are worse than satan himself.
Have to agree with this.