Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Finnish reindeers had it the coziest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nenonen posted:

OTOH there is a limited supply of them, and at some point you'll start harming your agricultural production by stripping countryside of not just young men but all horses as well.

Also you risk making enemies with PETA.
There was some speculation thrown around about replacing quad ATVs with horses for SpecOps teams in Afghanistan not that long ago. No idea if they actually followed through on it post-invasion period. The Northern Alliance in combination with some US observers managed to conduct a cavalry charge juuuuuust after a late laser-guided bombing run in 2001 which worked out pretty spectacularly for them. Sabres and all!

http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/us-taliban-both-claim-success-in-offensives-1.76564#.Uulhv7SzOlQ

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Ah yes, horses, critical for a height advantage over the enemy in battle!

Also, don't forget donkey. While meek in its default configuration, it could be upgraded with a radio and anti-tank capabilities.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

Also, don't forget donkey. While meek in its default configuration, it could be upgraded with a radio and anti-tank capabilities.

How much does it cost in World of Tanks?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hogge Wild posted:

How much does it cost in World of Tanks?

An assload.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

There was some speculation thrown around about replacing quad ATVs with horses for SpecOps teams in Afghanistan not that long ago. No idea if they actually followed through on it post-invasion period. The Northern Alliance in combination with some US observers managed to conduct a cavalry charge juuuuuust after a late laser-guided bombing run in 2001 which worked out pretty spectacularly for them. Sabres and all!

http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/us-taliban-both-claim-success-in-offensives-1.76564#.Uulhv7SzOlQ

In a place like Afghanistan, horses would realistically be much better for special operations with limited logistical support, but I don't think it meshes well with the US military's techno-fetishism. You can't really have a laser guided horse.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Slavvy posted:

In a place like Afghanistan, horses would realistically be much better for special operations with limited logistical support, but I don't think it meshes well with the US military's techno-fetishism. You can't really have a laser guided horse.

Can't you do incredibly expensive Kevlar armor for them like they do for dogs?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

:thurman:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Can't you do incredibly expensive Kevlar armor for them like they do for dogs?
Well I don't know, but we can sure as hell try. Take a look at my procurement proposal for horse armour that will create 150 jobs across 180 congressional districts!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

What are we looking at here?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

What are we looking at here?

There are homing pigeons in those guys' packs.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ensign Expendable posted:

Ah yes, horses, critical for a height advantage over the enemy in battle!

Wouldn't the horses start fleeing like hell if they heard a shot right in their ears? All the horses i've met seem to panic whenever a slight breeze passes near them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mans posted:

Wouldn't the horses start fleeing like hell if they heard a shot right in their ears? All the horses i've met seem to panic whenever a slight breeze passes near them.

Are those horses trained for war and raised in a general noisy military environment?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, war horses don't give a poo poo about gunfire.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slavvy posted:

It's good for the horses that pull the caisson if you turn them around before firing the cannon, though; they prefer being able to see what makes the noise.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting, I never knew that!

Also it's occurred to me that specops horses will never happen because of PETA.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slavvy posted:

But think of the market for Horse Kevlar body armour plates!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I sincerely doubt the military gives a poo poo about PETA.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

SeanBeansShako posted:

But think of the market for Horse Kevlar body armour plates!

$1.5 million DLC

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slavvy posted:

If PETA start actually interfering in US Military affairs I suspect they will quickly find that the government agrees that they are domestic terrorists and "take steps".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's a really affecting passage in a war memoir by a Wehrmacht soldier about how Germany has been stripped of all its horses and they've all died on the Eastern Front. Maybe it was Guy Sajer? That's just a shot in the dark

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hero :britain: :patriot:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Slavvy posted:

have you ever been right in this thread

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ah, the Russian M1901 Bird-poo poo Vest. Useful for when you must disguise yourself among piles of guano.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This is awesome, although I can't but help feel he should be wearing a Stetson. Obviously they DID follow through.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

have you ever been right in this thread

Nope :)

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Slavvy posted:

Could any horse be gunbroke past adolescence or was it you can't teach an old horse new tricks territory?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Speclops :ranbowdash:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

$1.5 million DLC

Took someone long enough.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

Could any horse be gunbroke past adolescence or was it you can't teach an old horse new tricks territory?

In some account I read, farm horses that were used in the front panicked after the war every time they saw an airplane, thinking the Sturmoviks are coming again. Horse PTSD.

Bronies in arms.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Yeah, I thought one of the more iconic moments of the War in Afghanistan was CIA/Spec Opsy dudes riding around on horses with the Northern Alliance to call in airstrikes from B-2's to dunk on the Taliban. The media got a real kick out of the ancient transport, laser-guided smart munition payload vibe.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
My great-grandmother had her favorite horse requisitioned from her for the war effort in 1941. However, the horses weren't returned to their owners but the owners were compensated instead. Late 1944, she travelled all around Finland for the state horse auctions to find the horse. Finally she did, won the auction and returned home with her horse.

That's my war horse story.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
In actual military history news (how often does that happen!) Ferguson continues to add to the pile of evidence that makes his naming to Harvard inexplicable.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/30/britain-first-world-war-biggest-error-niall-ferguson?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

e: vvv yes Gove's article is just one big :psyduck:

Ghost of Mussolini fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 30, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Fascinating how a conflict 100 years ago still manages to spark heated debate like that.

quote:

In his article, Gove said dramas such as Oh! What a Lovely War and satirical programmes such as Blackadder, combined with leftwing interpretations of the war, had allowed deeply unpatriotic myths to take hold, and had led some to denigrate the "patriotism, honour and courage" of those who served and died.

What's more, they depicted the Virgin Queen as an utter twat! :arghfist::saddowns:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
At this rate who can tell what sacrilege will be next - somebody calling the royal family a band of useless moochers on national television? The moral decay of today's generation...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Un-patriotic? Literally the worst thing to be.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gove is a moron who I wish would stop obsessing over funny alt history comedies and actually do some fort of vaguely positive work in my countries government.

Oh wait never mind. He can just go away. That'd be cool too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

steinrokkan posted:

At this rate who can tell what sacrilege will be next - somebody calling the royal family a band of useless moochers on national television? The moral decay of today's generation...

Or even worse, calling them...Germans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Baldrick, The true unsung hero and soldier of the trenches. His soul stirring war poetry will be remembered for generations.

It is actually pretty heart breaking, as the cast and crew when filming that series of Blackadder understood the sad gravitas of the whole thing and it is all pretty respectable and tastefully done.

• Locked thread