Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Parafin posted:

They are going to have a hard time finding talented people to work for another company with Brad and Co. at the helm. Everyone in the development world remembers Sigil: the long, unpaid hours; the promises of a share of the profits; the sudden closure where many employees didn't receive final paychecks, just a "well this is it, we're done, thanks."

Sigil was run into the ground. How Brad managed to get Smed to buy Vangard I'll never know.

Surprisingly, a lot of people actually in the industry are capable of looking at his entire career, and not just what happened with Vanguard. Especially seeing as he's just the CCO. Even making the assumption that he didn't learn a valuable life lesson from what happened with VG about not being a gently caress up, just because he's a terrible businessman doesn't erase the rest of his career in creative/design roles.

Not to mention the careers of the other people involved. I doubt they'll really have all that much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Are we looking at different careers here?

Even his website doesn't look that good.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Twitch about to start with Brad & Salim:

http://www.twitch.tv/mmobuff

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Twitch with the dungeon dude is supposed to start in a minute:

http://www.twitch.tv/therobanddanshow

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
It is telling that despite repeated polite enquiries as to how this project will be different from vanguard and what controls they are putting in place to ensure proper management of the project they are staying tight lipped while coasting on a wave of nostalgia. This isn't like obsidian where they have a history of buggy messes that have a really good game at the core which shines after a few patches.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Byolante posted:

It is telling that despite repeated polite enquiries as to how this project will be different from vanguard and what controls they are putting in place to ensure proper management of the project they are staying tight lipped while coasting on a wave of nostalgia. This isn't like obsidian where they have a history of buggy messes that have a really good game at the core which shines after a few patches.

"Hey guys remember in everquest when the troll master killed the ogre master and the red dragon broke off peace talks with the elves? I DO!"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

"Hey guys remember in everquest when the troll master killed the ogre master and the red dragon broke off peace talks with the elves? I DO!"

Nagafen allying with Faydwer would have been pretty bad for the lesser races

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005

Byolante posted:

It's also 1) only coming up because McQuaid's name is associated, and 2) not really relevant to the project because he's not in a role that makes it relevant.

The amount of obsessing people are doing over him being involved is really a bit ridiculous. He's worked on a ton of projects that didn't spiral into a nightmarish morass of mismanagement, and as long as he's not functioning as President/CEO or CFO I don't really get why people keep assuming it'll go that route.

Parafin
Jul 11, 2013

Oh yes, Georgie, they float. They all float down here.

YOU'LL FLOAT TOO! YAY! :3

<3 now gimme a herring <3

Flarestar posted:

It's also 1) only coming up because McQuaid's name is associated, and 2) not really relevant to the project because he's not in a role that makes it relevant.

The amount of obsessing people are doing over him being involved is really a bit ridiculous. He's worked on a ton of projects that didn't spiral into a nightmarish morass of mismanagement, and as long as he's not functioning as President/CEO or CFO I don't really get why people keep assuming it'll go that route.
This is basically 800k so the people making the game can start really thinking about making a game and hiring some people to make the game.

It's the classic "I have an idea for a game, now I just need a programmer and an artist" line, except now it's "I have an idea for an MMO, now I just need a staff of a hundred to make it a reality."

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
And? I mean that's a lot of what Kickstarter is precisely for. In this case they at least have some small amount of pre-alpha poo poo available, which is better than a lot of Kickstarters I've seen. Starting coding before you have a pretty decent idea of mechanics, world, lore etc. laid out is a great way to lock yourself into bad design decisions anyway.

Don't get me wrong, this has every chance of crashing and burning, I'm just saying that McQuaid is literally one of my least concerns with the project.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Byolante posted:

Yes, let us discuss the possible controls they could put into place. I think Brad McQuaid should be locked in his office from 9am to 5pm and only let out for bathroom breaks and a 30 minute lunch.

Then your $20 will be safe.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Flarestar posted:

The only reason people give a poo poo about this kickstarter is also because Brad's name is attached. Come good or ill, we need to judge the project based on the track record of the people making the pitch. Saying 'remember EQ, well we want to take you back to that style of game but with modern improvements that won't make it a wow clone' is a great pitch and something the mmo market badly needs. The problem arises when the person making the pitch already tried this pitch in the past and ended up with a 40m black hole and firing the entire staff of the company abruptly in the carpark.

This kickstarter is arguably even more idiotic than the average because if it does achieve it's funding goal there still is no guarentee the studio will ever even start work because this is being used as a way to try and show publishers or VC that there is a market and they should pay the dev costs. Those sort of people will ask the same sort of questions people in this thread are regarding the prior history of the people involved in the project.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Has this kind of "Give us enough money so that we can pitch it to VCs"-kickstarter already succeeded? The only one I can remember is the swordplay game one by Neal Stephenson, which had freaking Gabe Newell cameoing in its video, and they basically went "Welp, here's the alpha, we tried to get VC funding but it didn't work out, bye".

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Grim Up North posted:

Has this kind of "Give us enough money so that we can pitch it to VCs"-kickstarter already succeeded? The only one I can remember is the swordplay game one by Neal Stephenson, which had freaking Gabe Newell cameoing in its video, and they basically went "Welp, here's the alpha, we tried to get VC funding but it didn't work out, bye".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance

Those guys are already getting VC because of thze Kickstarter. If they succeed is another thing.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005

Byolante posted:

Come good or ill, we need to judge the project based on the track record of the people making the pitch.

I agree. So judge it on his team's track record, instead of judging it the history of one game where all that was really proven is that McQuaid makes a lovely CEO. I know plenty of people that are great designers and developers that don't have a clue when it comes to running an entire business. I'm certainly not going to predict doom and gloom for an entire project when they aren't even filling that role, any more than I will here. The negativity over McQuaid reeks of bitter old game vet syndrome and ignorance.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Flare, like you, I'd love to play a MMO that was designed by Brad again.

But this Kickstarter reeks of failure. The team as assembled doesn't have the talent to actually produce the game. They say so themselves. We can't even get art for races or classes. Kickstarter is NOT for "okay here's money now acquire talent that can do what you've promised".

All that matters is a team's ability to execute, and they haven't shown us that. They have excellent ideas, but ideas don't matter. Just execution.

Here's an interesting link on Kickstarter games and their success rate, from someone at Rerolled:

http://evilasahobby.com/2014/01/18/kickstander-only-around-a-third-of-kickstarted-video-game-projects-fully-deliver-to-their-backers/

Again, I'd absolutely love for this to work out. But what I see is a group of 10 people who will pretty much burn through $800k (assuming it funds, obviously) while trying to find actual developers to write the game, because they don't have that talent with them currently.

That twitch stream with Vu was painful to watch (what I could stomach of it, at least). He said "Unity is great for MMOs, I guess, I don't know." The team has no idea what they're doing, even if he's an amazing dungeon designer.

TLDR:

Parafin posted:

It's the classic "I have an idea for a game, now I just need a programmer and an artist" line, except now it's "I have an idea for an MMO, now I just need a staff of a hundred to make it a reality."

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Flarestar posted:

The negativity over McQuaid reeks of bitter old game vet syndrome and ignorance.

Old game vet syndrome might be because he hasn't done much of anything new.

2007 was vanguard, which was bad to most developers involved.
2010 was a co-founding of a start up for casual and social games that failed to find funding and ended in 2012.
2012 was joining SOE to relaunch Vanguard with a bad F2P model.
2013 was him switching to EQ1 and then leaving half a year later for this.

I don't know where the ignorance comes from, since he hasn't done much since those old games.

Speaking of F2P models

quote:

@Calidor You will need to purchase a copy of the game to play beyond a certain point. The "F2P" portion can be seen as more of a trial than it is a traditional free-to-play game.

I'm expecting to see another EQ2 or Vanguard style F2P model that splits the player base and is aggressive towards the players asking them to upgrade now. Going to put money on there being a button that you can't remove saying GOLD MEMBERSHIP.

EDIT: Going to throw this out here as well, I want to see another game by Brad. I enjoyed vanguard despite its bugs. I'm not going to back Pantheon and I doubt it will work.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 28, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

quote:

@Vextagora I'm not sure I understand your question, but I *think* I do. Anyone will be able to download the game and start playing. This will be the free portion. However, after you've played to a certain level or a certain amount of time (we haven't decided which yet), you'll need to buy the game in order to keep playing. If you pledge for multiple copies now, that means you won't have the level or time limit on those copies.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

xZAOx posted:

But this Kickstarter reeks of failure. The team as assembled doesn't have the talent to actually produce the game. They say so themselves. We can't even get art for races or classes. Kickstarter is NOT for "okay here's money now acquire talent that can do what you've promised".

All that matters is a team's ability to execute, and they haven't shown us that. They have excellent ideas, but ideas don't matter. Just execution.

Here's an interesting link on Kickstarter games and their success rate, from someone at Rerolled:

http://evilasahobby.com/2014/01/18/kickstander-only-around-a-third-of-kickstarted-video-game-projects-fully-deliver-to-their-backers/

Again, I'd absolutely love for this to work out. But what I see is a group of 10 people who will pretty much burn through $800k (assuming it funds, obviously) while trying to find actual developers to write the game, because they don't have that talent with them currently.

That twitch stream with Vu was painful to watch (what I could stomach of it, at least). He said "Unity is great for MMOs, I guess, I don't know." The team has no idea what they're doing, even if he's an amazing dungeon designer.

TLDR:

I'd like to see a successful MMO by brad, but i doubt it's going to happen.
The video was just a 100% stomach turning train wreck.

"Unity is great for MMOs, I guess, I don't know."

The gently caress is up with that?

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 28, 2014

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

xZAOx posted:

TLDR:

Those stats are mostly meaningless though. There have over 4,000 funded video games but only 104 listed on kickstarter have had more than $150k funding and only 19 have received over $1m in funding, most of the games are lovely projects by nobodies.

How many legitimate companies or people who have made large complex games have resulted in failed projects? You can't lump all the hacks in with the guys who know what they are doing.

As to this project, he isn't going to fund an MMO with $800k, it would allow them to design and develop the game to the point it could get additional funding, it is unrealistic that they employ the whole team and start working on it. If they don't get the following or the interest on kickstarter they would have to re-evaluate the project, do some more research on the viability.

They will more than likely reach their goal, not sure how far over it will go, but the game is estimated to be released in 2017, they have plenty of time post funding to find the staff they need.

Most of these $1m+ kickstarters are long-term projects. Star Cizien was funded in November 2012, not even an MMO and it is nowhere close to being released, only had a goal of $500k, received $2.1m during the kickstarter campaign and has since reached $37m in crowd funding. Does this register as a failed project because it hasn't been released yet?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Star citizen isn't an example you should be using.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
He only counted projects that had a projected release date by January 2014.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Third World Reggin posted:

Star Citizen shouldn't even be a thing.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Node posted:

Star Citizen shouldn't even be a thing.

Why not?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Anomaly?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
The existence of Star Citizen can be used to make a pretty good inductive fine-tuning style argument for the existence of a nerd-loving God.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thankfully that god doesn't exist or has promised way more than delivered.

Ceythos
Jan 16, 2014
Brad will be doing an AMA on reddit at 1pm PST today, so be sure to drop by with any questions you may have for him. I'll drop the link in here when he's live.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I don't know about this new game but I'm kinda disappointed that the title of the thread isn't "Brad McQuaid's next Vision for the MMORPG market."

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Ceythos posted:

Brad will be doing an AMA on reddit at 1pm PST today, so be sure to drop by with any questions you may have for him. I'll drop the link in here when he's live.
Thanks for the update. While I am at the wait and see point for now, you guys are definitely scoring points for making yourselves so accessible here and at other online locales. As a huge EQ1/VG fan I'm really hoping to see and hear some things that convert me to a backer before the Kickstarter is over.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Republicans posted:

I don't know about this new game but I'm kinda disappointed that the title of the thread isn't "Brad McQuaid's next Vision for the MMORPG market."

"Brad McQuaid's New MMO. Nothing new here..move along.."

Ceythos
Jan 16, 2014
And it's up, hope to see you in the comments:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1whvd2/i_am_brad_mcquaid_one_of_the_creators_of/

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
While I don't like everything I'm hearing over there, and I'm very skeptical of this ever producing an actual game, I will give you guys credit where it's due - you're really trying to get the name out there, various twitch streams, engaging users on every forum I visit, reddit AMA, upcoming youtube interview, etc. And Brad's been doing the AMA for 2 hours now.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The guy who was on the VU stream with brad did some of my favorite parts of EQ2.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

I only mentioned Star Citizen because it is one of the projects that raised over $1m in kickstarter, most of those projects that raised significant funding haven't been completed yet. I just don't think you can compare the success ratio of larger projects with the low budget projects.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think you don't get how comparisons work.

It can be compared in every way. The success ratio for any project is still good. The success ratio for bigger budget projects may be a great thing to use, but we don't have that do we?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

[–]AraduneMithara[S] 25 points 3 hours ago

treestick: While we're making a challenging game, but you won't need to grind or camp or do a dungeon for hours on end. Most of Pantheon is designed to be played in 1-2 hour increments.

So play for 1-2 hours and what... the game shuts off?

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Shed posted:

I continued to play my erudite enchanter and ended up meeting one of my irl best friends through that game.

Aradune posted:

Thank you! :)

I am the other side of this equation so to speak. She's not kidding when she says that we met because of EQ. I moved to WI and we roomed together for a bit. I stayed in WI and actually went to grad school/found a couple of good jobs (one for 2 years, in the other now) as a result. We may not live super close anymore (Have a couple hundred miles between us), we still talk quite a bit! So EQ has been huge to me, to say the least. I may have wavered in and out of the game for most of my playtime, but many of my fondest MMO memories are from Everquest. From getting one of the first handful of Magician Epics on my server to helping to run a large set of Magician class forums way back in the day.

But one of my favorite memories was when you and some of the Vanguard staff took some writers out to dinner at a steakhouse during E3 times (I think it was 2003, and I was working for MOG Magazine at the time, may have been 04. I distinctly remember that night because not only were the steaks great, but I remember you and some of the other developers there throwing money on the table to get one of the employees to drink a whole thing of hollandaise sauce. I may not be in journalism or games journalism at all anymore, but man, that was one of my favorite memories.

Anyways, I'm seriously looking at dropping for the $250 for either the Paragons or Pathfinders pledge. Leaning towards Paragon, because I'd love the chance to be in early and help you guys craft a great game. Either way, though, I'm really looking forward to this.

Glad that Shed directed me towards this thread. Hope you see this -- you guys created something great with EQ and I'm hoping that Pantheon can hit it big like that.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

I think you don't get how comparisons work.

It can be compared in every way. The success ratio for any project is still good. The success ratio for bigger budget projects may be a great thing to use, but we don't have that do we?

I do get how comparisons work. You can only compare like with like, otherwise it is pointless. It is what I said, that comparison analysis is pointless.

All it proves is low budget projects made by nobodies are not worth putting money in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

iminers posted:

[–]AraduneMithara[S] 25 points 3 hours ago

treestick: While we're making a challenging game, but you won't need to grind or camp or do a dungeon for hours on end. Most of Pantheon is designed to be played in 1-2 hour increments.

So play for 1-2 hours and what... the game shuts off?

Take a break? But I'm guessing its not stopping you from player another hour or two.

• Locked thread