Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
What is anyone's take on NetBSD's focus on xen vs. FreeBSD jails? It seems NetBSD believes lightweight xen instances are the way to go for service insulation while FreeBSD wants jails to be at least kind of on par security-wise.

For instance, how bad is the overhead to be expected from xen and how much extra hassle do jails create?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there an easy way to copy an ACL to a directory from another, and apply it to all child objects?

FreeBSD 9.2
ZFS (NFSv4 ACLs)

I've seen commands like "getfacl dir1 | setfacl -b -n -M - dir2", but "dir2" still has its old ACLs, and it's not applied to child objects.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

double riveting posted:

What is anyone's take on NetBSD's focus on xen vs. FreeBSD jails? It seems NetBSD believes lightweight xen instances are the way to go for service insulation while FreeBSD wants jails to be at least kind of on par security-wise.

For instance, how bad is the overhead to be expected from xen and how much extra hassle do jails create?

FYI, the NetBSD Xen guy is writing that same Dom0 code for FreeBSD now.

Jails vs Xen:

Jails: zero overhead -- native performance for everything (disk access, network access, CPU). There are some fringe limitations you need to be aware of as it's not a fully virtualized OS (see Bhyve)

Xen: quite a bit of overhead everywhere by nature of the design. Process forking is super painful, anything using lots of context switches, and disk access are all weak areas for any OS running under Xen, VMWare, or KVM. Ex: portsnap extract, large svn access, freebsd-update (runs sha256 on the entire base system) will be really slow in comparison.

Xen in 10.0 is better thanks to the work by Roger Pau Monne of Citrix, but it's still not comparable for workloads that require disk access.

Bhyve (included in FreeBSD 10!!) is probably what you want if you need full virtualization. It's hands down better than any other hypervisor on the market because it's legacy free :)

feld fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 14, 2014

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Xenomorph posted:

Is there an easy way to copy an ACL to a directory from another, and apply it to all child objects?

FreeBSD 9.2
ZFS (NFSv4 ACLs)

I've seen commands like "getfacl dir1 | setfacl -b -n -M - dir2", but "dir2" still has its old ACLs, and it's not applied to child objects.

Want to get your hands dirty?

See if this patch to mtree still applies cleanly:

http://heka.cenkes.org/sat/diffs/mtree_acl.diff

Get an mtree dump of the source directory. Confirm ACLs are in there. Note what the ACLs look like. Get an mtree dump of the destination directory. Remove the old ACLs (grep -v?). Use a script to apply the new ACLs to every object (sed would probably work). Now go ahead and apply that mtree dump to the directory structure.

Dirty, but should work.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Honestly, I do not want to get too dirty, at the moment.

It looks like I was able to copy the ACL from source directory to target directory, but it left the existing ACLs in place that were not specifically overwritten by the source directory's ACLs.

This worked:
code:
getfacl source_dir | setfacl -b -n -M - target_dir
But I ended up with this:

code:
[root@bsd /]# getfacl source_dir

owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow
            group@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow

[root@bsd /]# getfacl target_dir

everyone@:------a-R-c--s:------:allow
I just needed to do this to remove that last bit:

code:
[root@bsd /]# setfacl -x everyone@:------a-R-c--s:------:allow target_dir
Now I get the expected permissions:
code:
[root@bsd /]# getfacl target_dir

I'm removing the "everyone" permission because these are Windows shares, and it messes with inheritance on the Windows side. I would have just set the permissions from the Windows-side, but there are too many Linux-only files mixed in that contain invalid Windows file names (with characters such as ":" or "\"). You have to manually tell Windows to skip each one of these "invalid" names, but with over 5 terabytes of files (hundreds of thousands, if not millions), it would take quite a while.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Good news everyone: FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE has been committed. Release images are in progress. Feel free to pull svn from releng/10.0 if you want to build it yourself now.

feld fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 15, 2014

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Man, I still remember when FBSD 10 was just a distant pipe dream. Kudos to the devs.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Leb posted:

Man, I still remember when FBSD 10 was just a distant pipe dream. Kudos to the devs.

4 to 5 was the first system upgrade I can remember having done, so accidentally upgrading to 11 today was ... yeah. It's been around for a while. :)

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The isos for 10 are out now :woop:

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Did anyone else have problems with freebsd-update? I'm upgrading from 9.1-release to 10.0-release and it keeps on reporting integrity check fail. A quick google search tells me that I have to upgrade to the latest 9.x release then upgrade from that to 10.0. Is it really supposed to be that draconian?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Whatever happened to the FreeBSD torrent tracker site?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

lostleaf posted:

Did anyone else have problems with freebsd-update? I'm upgrading from 9.1-release to 10.0-release and it keeps on reporting integrity check fail. A quick google search tells me that I have to upgrade to the latest 9.x release then upgrade from that to 10.0. Is it really supposed to be that draconian?

Yes, it is.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Whatever happened to the FreeBSD torrent tracker site?

The freebsd.org run site was removed for security reasons, and it looks like the community run alternative doesn't have the 10 isos up yet.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.
Just ordered a Raspberry Pi to try to put 10.0 on it. A little psyched to give it a go, its a been a while since I have messed with FreeBSD. Anyone else tried it out yet and run in to weird issues?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

MrDoDo posted:

Just ordered a Raspberry Pi to try to put 10.0 on it. A little psyched to give it a go, its a been a while since I have messed with FreeBSD. Anyone else tried it out yet and run in to weird issues?

Well, it's ARM. And that's not really a well supported architecture (yet). But there are devs pushing forward with FreeBSD on ARM.

I have no idea how hard it will be, but I imagine you'll have to cross-compile your own ARM installation media unless you can find an image someone else has already provided.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
How does this happen?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/155163

I've been looking for an easy way to recursively apply ACLs.

FreeBSD's "setfacl" command does not work recursively. There is a patch for it to do so, submitted March 1st, 2011. How long does it usually take for something like to be accepted? It seems like Linux has had this ability for a while ("setfacl -R"), but FreeBSD doesn't.

I want to do the equivalent of this:
code:
getfacl directory1 | setfacl -b -n -M - directory2 
(copy the ACLs from "directory1", apply it to "directory2", AND have the ACL applied to ALL files in "directory2" as well)

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Ok how hosed am I?

I was doing an update from 9.1 to 10 and my / partition is so small I run out of disk space.

I clear some room (delete /boot/kernel.old) and start over with the "freebsd-update -r 10.0-RELEASE upgrade"

Again it bails out for lack of disk space but not quite as bad. I do the "freebsd-update install" you're supposed to do after the reboot without rebooting, I'm sure this is also bad. I did reboot soon after this, and waiting for a box you know you just hosed UP pretty badly to come up remotely is a great feeling.

It did though, which actually shocked me. Took it sweet time of course.

When I run "freebsd-update IDS" I get a huge list of very important looking system files that apparently all have the wrong permissions, possibly not the end of the world right?

Both of my 6 disk ZFS pools came up ok, though I had to manually re-add everyone on Samba.

It won't let me try to upgrade to 10.0-RELEASE again because it thinks I'm already running it, so I must have had partial success. I'm really kicking myself now for now doubling the size of the root partition when I initially set this up.

Should I just completely rebuild this system? Have I got it in such a state I'll be screwed next time I try and update?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

roadhead posted:

Ok how hosed am I?

I was doing an update from 9.1 to 10 and my / partition is so small I run out of disk space.

I clear some room (delete /boot/kernel.old) and start over with the "freebsd-update -r 10.0-RELEASE upgrade"

Again it bails out for lack of disk space but not quite as bad. I do the "freebsd-update install" you're supposed to do after the reboot without rebooting, I'm sure this is also bad. I did reboot soon after this, and waiting for a box you know you just hosed UP pretty badly to come up remotely is a great feeling.

It did though, which actually shocked me. Took it sweet time of course.

When I run "freebsd-update IDS" I get a huge list of very important looking system files that apparently all have the wrong permissions, possibly not the end of the world right?

Both of my 6 disk ZFS pools came up ok, though I had to manually re-add everyone on Samba.

It won't let me try to upgrade to 10.0-RELEASE again because it thinks I'm already running it, so I must have had partial success. I'm really kicking myself now for now doubling the size of the root partition when I initially set this up.

Should I just completely rebuild this system? Have I got it in such a state I'll be screwed next time I try and update?

download base.txz and probably lib32.txz and extract it somewhere. replace every system file/binary that FreeBSD-IDS reported as being a mismatch. use rsync or cpdup to make sure the files get put back with the right permissions.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/10.0-RELEASE

in fact, you could just extract it over your / and tell it to ignore /etc...
code:
cd /
tar --exclude etc -xvpf base.txz
tar -xvpf lib32.txz
After that freebsd-update IDS should show you with a pretty clean system.

edit: on-the-fly method because you're low on disk space

code:
cd /
fetch -o - ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/10.0-RELEASE/base.txz | tar --exclude etc -xvpf -
fetch -o - ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/10.0-RELEASE/lib32.txz | tar -xvpf -

feld fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 25, 2014

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Xenomorph posted:

How does this happen?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/155163

I've been looking for an easy way to recursively apply ACLs.

FreeBSD's "setfacl" command does not work recursively. There is a patch for it to do so, submitted March 1st, 2011. How long does it usually take for something like to be accepted? It seems like Linux has had this ability for a while ("setfacl -R"), but FreeBSD doesn't.

I want to do the equivalent of this:
code:
getfacl directory1 | setfacl -b -n -M - directory2 
(copy the ACLs from "directory1", apply it to "directory2", AND have the ACL applied to ALL files in "directory2" as well)

Reply to the PR showing interest. I have no idea why it wasn't committed; maybe the person it was assigned to was really busy and it fell off the radar. I'll see what I can find...

edit: i've worked with trasz before. I've emailed him. Hopefully this gets committed.

Persistence is everything. FreeBSD devs tend to be insanely busy. As long as a patch is complete, adheres to style(9), and provides documentation it should not be rejected. It does require someone to champion the patch, though.

feld fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 25, 2014

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

feld posted:

download base.txz and probably lib32.txz and extract it somewhere. replace every system file/binary that FreeBSD-IDS reported as being a mismatch. use rsync or cpdup to make sure the files get put back with the right permissions.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/10.0-RELEASE

in fact, you could just extract it over your / and tell it to ignore /etc...
code:
cd /
tar --exclude etc -xvpf base.txz
tar -xvpf lib32.txz
After that freebsd-update IDS should show you with a pretty clean system.

edit: on-the-fly method because you're low on disk space

code:
cd /
fetch -o - [url]ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/10.0-RELEASE/base.txz[/url] | tar --exclude etc -xvpf -
fetch -o - [url]ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/10.0-RELEASE/lib32.txz[/url] | tar -xvpf -

I did that (apparently src.txz actually contained most of the files I wanted to fix the permissions of) but now small parts of where I untarred the files to (/usr/home/username/Downloads/) refuse to delete? ("rm: chfn: Operation not permitted" is the error)

And I'm root?

Anyway, thanks for the help, I can rest easier now safe in the knowledge that my system files are as they should be.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

roadhead posted:

I did that (apparently src.txz actually contained most of the files I wanted to fix the permissions of) but now small parts of where I untarred the files to (/usr/home/username/Downloads/) refuse to delete? ("rm: chfn: Operation not permitted" is the error)

And I'm root?

Anyway, thanks for the help, I can rest easier now safe in the knowledge that my system files are as they should be.

code:
chflags -R noschg files/that/won't/delete/*
then you can delete them.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

feld posted:

code:
chflags -R noschg files/that/won't/delete/*
then you can delete them.

Yep that did the trick. Is this file attribute stuff new or am I just that far out of the loop?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

roadhead posted:

Yep that did the trick. Is this file attribute stuff new or am I just that far out of the loop?

certain files that come with the base system are protected that way, as well as /var/empty directory. Has been that way for quite some time. I don't know much more about it other than the intention of protecting them.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

feld posted:

certain files that come with the base system are protected that way, as well as /var/empty directory. Has been that way for quite some time. I don't know much more about it other than the intention of protecting them.

The scariest part is I log into this machine daily and it works silently, tirelessly and with obviously zero effort or knowledge on my part 99.9% of the time. Serving terabytes upon terabytes of data with shoddy Newegg special parts and WD 1.5 terabyte greens. For YEARS now.

loving BSD.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

roadhead posted:

The scariest part is I log into this machine daily and it works silently, tirelessly and with obviously zero effort or knowledge on my part 99.9% of the time. Serving terabytes upon terabytes of data with shoddy Newegg special parts and WD 1.5 terabyte greens. For YEARS now.

loving BSD.

code:
~> uptime
 5:51PM  up 2613 days, 14:19, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
doesn't even have a redundant PSU...

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

feld posted:

code:
~> uptime
 5:51PM  up 2613 days, 14:19, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
doesn't even have a redundant PSU...

You're still running FreeBSD 6.x? :psyduck:

sports
Sep 1, 2012

feld posted:

Well, it's ARM. And that's not really a well supported architecture (yet). But there are devs pushing forward with FreeBSD on ARM.

I have no idea how hard it will be, but I imagine you'll have to cross-compile your own ARM installation media unless you can find an image someone else has already provided.

freebsd has a dedicated Raspberry Pi flavor.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

sports posted:

freebsd has a dedicated Raspberry Pi flavor.

That's a pretty strong inference. You will not find ARM or Raspberry Pi here: http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/

It is a Tier-2 architecture. Hopefully in 2014 it can move to Tier-1, but that depends on the ability to obtain fast ARM hardware that can be used for testing and native package building.

SamDabbers posted:

You're still running FreeBSD 6.x? :psyduck:

That's a non-public traffic shaper, but I hardly see that as unusual. Yahoo still runs FreeBSD 4.11 in a lot of places (though they call their fork YBSD). They've struggled to upgrade because they waited too long, but work is progressing more quickly these days.

I know of a financial company with 100% uptime over the last decade that moves trillions of dollars per year and they still have FreeBSD 4.11 servers out there too.

Old is not necessarily bad if you know what you're doing, but personally I prefer to keep up on every server I can.

feld fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 28, 2014

sports
Sep 1, 2012

feld posted:

That's a pretty strong inference. You will not find ARM or Raspberry Pi here: http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/

It is a Tier-2 architecture. Hopefully in 2014 it can move to Tier-1, but that depends on the ability to obtain fast ARM hardware that can be used for testing and native package building.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.0R/relnotes.html

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.

From what I can gather it seems to still need to build your own image (as outlined here from the release notes http://kernelnomicon.org/?p=275). Its kind of confusing since it says ARM is officially supported but I guess just no img is release.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You can always just try NetBSD.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Riso posted:

You can always just try NetBSD.

Even long term developers are leaving NetBSD. It's a sad sight :(

feld fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 29, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That's a bummer, but then they also managed to drive out Theo de Raadt with his followers oh so many years ago.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I put 10 on an hp netbook, and after tinkering with it for a while it's up and running well. Sound and video work perfectly with no config, encrypted zfs on root with only minor config needed, and pretty much everything builds cleanly and / or has a package. A bit of work and I have youtube with flash support and everything else. The wireless wasn't detected but I'll just use a card for that, otherwise it builds just about anything fine, and I've set up xfce, gnome, e17. Mostly I use gnome but the others are a bonus. It's by no means ready for grandma, but once it's up and running, configured correctly a grandma could use it without much issue. They've really worked on this recently and it shows. I didn't recompile the kernel because it's fine for my needs anyway, and they're still working out a few kinks with clang apparently - there's a caution against using it to recompile the system, so I'm not futzing with it.

Only problem I've had so far is that the install for openjdk6 (a current revision) says to mount an fdesc partition, but if I add that to fstab it hangs the system on boot. I can manually mount the partition, which works but I'm not even sure it's actually needed. I was able to mount proc in fstab, but not linproc or fdesc - it bombs when it boots if I do that. Is fdesc / linproc really even useful (should I bother to mount it otherwise) ? I went ahead and just wrote a couple rc.d scripts and enabled them, so they're mounted but I'm curious. With systemd I'd think linproc is less critical for linux apps, and I don't know how important fdesc really is to java either. Anyways.

But yeah 10 on the netbook has made for a nice desktop so far, and surprisingly zippy.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Broken Machine posted:

I didn't recompile the kernel because it's fine for my needs anyway, and they're still working out a few kinks with clang apparently - there's a caution against using it to recompile the system, so I'm not futzing with it.

The entire kernel and world is built with CLANG for 10.0+. GCC is dead. Everything in ports that can be built with CLANG will be built with CLANG.

Broken Machine posted:

Only problem I've had so far is that the install for openjdk6 (a current revision) says to mount an fdesc partition, but if I add that to fstab it hangs the system on boot. I can manually mount the partition, which works but I'm not even sure it's actually needed. I was able to mount proc in fstab, but not linproc or fdesc - it bombs when it boots if I do that.

What's your filesystem layout? Is it trying to mount those filesystems before the zfs filesystems underneath are all there? Try putting "late" in the fstab options field so it mounts them as one of the very last things to do in the boot process.

code:
linproc         /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs       rw,late 0 0

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
CLANG was designed as a GCC drop in replacement, but I am not sure it really works on non-86x architectures acceptably.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

feld posted:

The entire kernel and world is built with CLANG for 10.0+. GCC is dead. Everything in ports that can be built with CLANG will be built with CLANG.

I know that, I'm just not sure if I have to play around with the linker or whatever to get it to build and work correctly, and so I didn't really feel like messing with it and didn't.

quote:

What's your filesystem layout? Is it trying to mount those filesystems before the zfs filesystems underneath are all there? Try putting "late" in the fstab options field so it mounts them as one of the very last things to do in the boot process.

code:
linproc         /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs       rw,late 0 0

Thanks. It's just a standard, default zfs install from the installer. It hangs shortly after it mounts the zfs root so it's probably related to that. I think I'll just leave it in the rc.d since it's already installed and working. Mostly I'm just curious if either or both are truly necessary; the handbook doesn't seem to mention linproc anymore in the guide to setting up flash for example.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Broken Machine posted:

I put 10 on an hp netbook, and after tinkering with it for a while it's up and running well. Sound and video work perfectly with no config, encrypted zfs on root with only minor config needed, and pretty much everything builds cleanly and / or has a package. A bit of work and I have youtube with flash support and everything else. The wireless wasn't detected but I'll just use a card for that, otherwise it builds just about anything fine, and I've set up xfce, gnome, e17. Mostly I use gnome but the others are a bonus. It's by no means ready for grandma, but once it's up and running, configured correctly a grandma could use it without much issue. They've really worked on this recently and it shows. I didn't recompile the kernel because it's fine for my needs anyway, and they're still working out a few kinks with clang apparently - there's a caution against using it to recompile the system, so I'm not futzing with it.

Only problem I've had so far is that the install for openjdk6 (a current revision) says to mount an fdesc partition, but if I add that to fstab it hangs the system on boot. I can manually mount the partition, which works but I'm not even sure it's actually needed. I was able to mount proc in fstab, but not linproc or fdesc - it bombs when it boots if I do that. Is fdesc / linproc really even useful (should I bother to mount it otherwise) ? I went ahead and just wrote a couple rc.d scripts and enabled them, so they're mounted but I'm curious. With systemd I'd think linproc is less critical for linux apps, and I don't know how important fdesc really is to java either. Anyways.

But yeah 10 on the netbook has made for a nice desktop so far, and surprisingly zippy.

When you say Gnome, what version is that? Looks like 2.x ?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

wooger posted:

When you say Gnome, what version is that? Looks like 2.x ?

That's actually enlightenment (e17), but I built gnome 2.32.1 as well.

Here's gnome:

e: revised screenshot

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Broken Machine posted:

I know that, I'm just not sure if I have to play around with the linker or whatever to get it to build and work correctly, and so I didn't really feel like messing with it and didn't.

On amd64 you'd have to do some extra work to not build with clang; it has effectively been the only compiler supported there for a while. I mean, it probably works with GCC, since some of the other archs need it - but it's GCC that is the "play around with to make it work" choice now.

• Locked thread