Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

8ender posted:

I think thats the A604 and its kin. I love that solenoid clicky sound when cars with them come to a stop.

*click bzzzzzzzt*

41TE is derived from the A604, so... yeah! That noise is burned into my brain from the ~8 years of Grand Voyagers we had as a kid, along with the fact that both of them needed transmission replacements before their all-too-short warranties ran out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
e: ^ hahahaha, chrysler minivans :v: yeah, we had to replace a lot of those auto transaxles too.

If you are getting 9mpg in a cherokee you are doing something horribly wrong or it needs parts badly.

For reference, I get no less than 13mpg in one on 33" offroad tires with 250k or more on the motor driving it like I stole it. And no less than 15mpg in the winter driving one on 25" tires (aka 3k rpm at 80mph) also driving it like I stole it.

You probably need an O2 sensor, a tuneup, or something similar.

One good thing Chrysler got from Mercedes was the NSG370 6 speed mantrans in the later TJs, and I believe some of their 3.7/4.7 V8 stuff and later automatics were Mercedes imposed, but that's about all I can think of.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
In regards to mpg, I'm used to getting 550+ per tank, so ya, putting 30 miles on the car and having it go from 1/4 to empty kind of caught me by surprise. I put 15 bucks in it cause I figure if they're going to give that poo poo to me almost empty, they're getting it back just as empty.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Geoj posted:

Well I stand corrected, I could have sworn I read a well-sourced article stating it used a modified E-Class chassis a few years ago.

My points that since releasing it all they've done to it are sheet metal/cosmetic changes and any idiot can design a "goes fast in a straight line" car still stand though...

It sounds like you just have an irrational hatred for the car. The new 300s are quick for basically being tanks, have an auto 8 speed tranny that shifts quickly, the suspension is tight, interior is awesome and they put an eco mode in the v6 base that got me like 35 mpg on the highway driving at 70 mph. They look drat good too, imo. It seriously made me consider buying the 300c.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

In regards to mpg, I'm used to getting 550+ per tank, so ya, putting 30 miles on the car and having it go from 1/4 to empty kind of caught me by surprise. I put 15 bucks in it cause I figure if they're going to give that poo poo to me almost empty, they're getting it back just as empty.

I only ever rent from Avis (company policy), they always start the tank full; do other companies really make a practice of renting out cars with 1/4 tank of gas?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

LEts post pics.

Hahahaha

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Toymachine posted:

It sounds like you just have an irrational hatred for the car.

:qq:

Sorry, it was rude and thoughtless of me to not seek your approval before making that post and I am truly sorry for offending your delicate sensitivities regarding your taste in cars.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I only ever rent from Avis (company policy), they always start the tank full; do other companies really make a practice of renting out cars with 1/4 tank of gas?

Practically every car I've ever rented had a full tank, and unless you agree to pay for them to refill the tank to full at just slightly outrageous rates upon return they charge you something like 250% of current gas prices per gallon if you don't fill it up before returning. I just had a rental car through Avis and I think the per gallon refill rate (if you opt out of their refill service) was $9.50/gallon in addition to a convenience fee.

I like to think someone returned the car with a 1/4 tank, they gouged the gently caress out of them to "refill" it and sent it back out again without actually putting any gas in it.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 29, 2014

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

LEts post pics.

Hahahaha

GTA5 screenshot taken by a 12 year old?

Geoj posted:

:qq:

Sorry, it was rude and thoughtless of me to not seek your approval before making that post and I am truly sorry for offending your delicate sensitivities regarding your taste in cars.

Uh...what? I was just making an observation based on the amount of hate the 200 gets (I never drove it and I don't doubt it blows) that Chrysler's entire fleet isn't a complete heap of poo poo. You seem very invested in blasting the car with fake facts that were disproved by other posters.

Toymachine fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 29, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

They give you whatever the previous renter left in the tank. They tell you to return the car with the same amount of gas as you started with, or they charge you gas at an inflated price to refuel it.

As you can imagine the needle tends to drift closer to empty the more times it's rented as people always try to put the bare minimum amount of gas in.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Toymachine posted:

GTA5 screenshot taken by a 12 year old?

Unfortunately noy!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

xzzy posted:

They give you whatever the previous renter left in the tank. They tell you to return the car with the same amount of gas as you started with, or they charge you gas at an inflated price to refuel it.

As you can imagine the needle tends to drift closer to empty the more times it's rented as people always try to put the bare minimum amount of gas in.

Are you renting from airports or other rental car sites? I've rented from Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise and I've never gotten a car with the fuel gauge pointing below "F".

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
When I worked at Budget you always got a full tank when you got the car at the airport. We had a big-rear end fuel silo and pump back at the service building and when we got cars back, we'd refuel them there at 2x whatever gas was at the time when we washed/cleaned them if we noticed the needle beneath F.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

LEts post pics.

Hahahaha

I too have always wanted to drive a Gundam

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MetaJew posted:

Are you renting from airports or other rental car sites? I've rented from Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise and I've never gotten a car with the fuel gauge pointing below "F".

Enterprise 1/2 tank on a Tahoe :negative:

The return clerk tried to charge me ~$100 for the other half until I read him the rental agreement for twenty minutes.

Content:

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 29, 2014

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Honda.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I rented a car from Dollar for all of last week and they gave me a Prius. It came full and I had to put $13 in gas in it after a week which seemed pretty good. I thought it looked like a new model, and only had 19k miles on it, but I thought all the new Priuses had plug-in capability on them. I was staying with a friend in Jackson Hole in a complex that even had plugs every few spaces in the parking lot, so it would have been cool to plug in and use zero gas, but I guess it could have been before they became plug-in capable. Unless that's only an option instead of standard now?

Either way, despite my sister owning a Prius it was my first time actually driving one. So to stay on topic the terrible car stuff I'm posting is the acceleration capability of the Toyota Prius.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Honda.

e: GIS for "Honda logo on xxx" reveals so much awful

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
The Dodge Avenger rental we got while my car was in the shop was the worst car I've driven in a long time. The gas felt horrible and spongy and the shifting was glacial. The steering and ride sucked too, you didn't feel connected to the car or road at all, but it wasn't comfortable either.

And we just bought a used Mariner that I really enjoy driving, so it's not just hating everything but sports cars.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Suck it, lovely rental car havers!

It drover a bit lame compared to a 328 I drove just before it, but screaming "PLAY ARTIST SLAYER!" at SYNC more than made up for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

buttcrackmenace posted:

e: GIS for "Honda logo on xxx" reveals so much awful

Curiously, using other car manufacturers for 'xxx' turns up no interesting results.

I figure someone would have slapped a Honda logo on a Ford at some point.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This was before the days of cell phone cameras but I remember seeing a 2nd gen Ford Probe with a giant windshield banner that said "Powered by Ford"... I was too much of a chickenshit to shout across the aisle and tell him the truth though.
It's powered by a Mazda engine!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

subx posted:

The Dodge Avenger rental we got while my car was in the shop was the worst car I've driven in a long time. The gas felt horrible and spongy and the shifting was glacial. The steering and ride sucked too, you didn't feel connected to the car or road at all, but it wasn't comfortable either.

And we just bought a used Mariner that I really enjoy driving, so it's not just hating everything but sports cars.

Probably had the lovely 2.7L V6 engine

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Borrowed a coworkers 201x Avenger with the 4 cylinder. Worst thing I've ever driven. Driving it is like belting onto a vegetable oil laden sponge that can sometimes do 80 miles an hour. If it ever decided to actually shift up I was serenaded by the wonderful sound of bad stereo grounding buzz through the speakers.

:allears:

My 2003 Neon wasn't even that bad.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Can't embed, but this is amazing. https://www.facebook.com/dusty.windust/posts/10201896009815738?stream_ref=1

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

LEts post pics.

Hahahaha

Lamborghini Gallardo Galaxy Warrior Body Kit

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lamborghini/lamborghini-gallardo-galaxy-warrior-ar112269.html

quote:

You can spin its name however you want, but the name "Galaxy Warrior" doesn’t necessarily sound like something you’d want to put in your car. Sure, it could pass as the name of the Ultimate Warrior’s long-lost cousin.

But as a styling package for the Lamborghini Gallardo ? Nope. Not good at all.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
That depends on what image comes to mind when you hear the words "Galaxy Warrior."

(That body kit is ugly as sin.)

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

veedubfreak posted:

So that's what the noise is. I thought it had a bad CV joint. Only 2 more days of this shitpile. It also sucks down gas like that's its loving job. The assholes at Enterprise gave me the car at 1/4 tank and after the 10 mile drive home and 18 mile drive to work it was sitting on E already.

Son of a bitch, me too... Of course, that was on my 91 Dodge Spirit. Good to see they got around to fixing that.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

sanchez posted:

My bar for rental car satisfaction was lowered considerably after I got an elantra with an interior that smelled so strongly of a mixture of motor oil and sweat it stuck to my clothes after getting out. A 200 would have been welcome.

I'm a little late boarding this train, but the last rental I had in the US was an '09 Kia Optima. It looked quite like this:

It was a drat boring car. However, in the week I had it, I LOVED it. It was comfortable, quiet, the stereo was pretty good, and the interior was quite roomy. Was it as fun as my GTI that had just gotten totaled? Nope. It was a really good transportation appliance though.

I developed a special bond with that car on the 300mi road trip I took to go buy my next car. I would recommend them.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I had to rent a '13 Hyundai Sonata several months back, and apart from it being astonishingly ugly looking on the outside, I really enjoyed commuting in it. It had decent power for an NA straight-4 and averaged 30+ mpg while I had it, even though I flogged it every chance I got. The transmission shifted smoothly and quickly, didn't hunt going uphill and even downshifted going down hills without being told. It responded well to the paddle shifters, which made it decently fun once I got used to them. I was pretty impressed by it, but maybe I'm easy to please.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 30, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The point is, compared to the ancient shitpiles we buy and attempt to restore so often here in the forums, almost any modern car is quiet, easy to operate, smarter, and much more fuel efficient. Sometimes new cars lack a little soul, that's all.

Except the dodge avenger. gently caress the avenger. They are give-up-on-life cars. The sweatpants of transportation.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

The point is, compared to the ancient shitpiles we buy and attempt to restore so often here in the forums, almost any modern car is quiet, easy to operate, smarter, and much more fuel efficient. Sometimes new cars lack a little soul, that's all.

Except the dodge avenger. gently caress the avenger. They are give-up-on-life cars. The sweatpants of transportation.

To me, the '09 Kia was a revelation simply because I didn't expect it. This was before people started taking Kia seriously in the States. It was truly a good car..just as good as the late-model Malibus and Camrys I'd driven.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Geirskogul posted:

Sometimes new cars lack a little soul, that's all.

And they all look identical :colbert:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

And they all look identical :colbert:

Mainstream cars always have.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Geirskogul posted:

Every time i go to Enterprise i upgrade when all they have is an Avenger. I hate that car with a passion.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

angryhampster posted:

Mainstream cars always have.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
When I wrecked the Volvo I got a 2013 Chevy Cruze with about 3k on the clock. It had the 1.6L turbo I4, full interior with goodies, and goddamn was it a hoot to drive while getting 35MPG.

I liked it so much I went to the dealership and priced one out (just a smidge over 22k), but ended up buying an NA Miata instead.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 30, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The answer is always Miata.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

That car lost millions of dollars by being too far out of the mainstream.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Looks like a run of the mill car with some weird light placement

You don't have to look far to find the same sort of thing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Terrible Robot posted:

I had to rent a '13 Hyundai Sonata several months back, and apart from it being astonishingly ugly looking on the outside, I really enjoyed commuting in it. It had decent power for an NA straight-4 and averaged 30+ mpg while I had it, even though I flogged it every chance I got. The transmission shifted smoothly and quickly, didn't hunt going uphill and even downshifted going down hills without being told. It responded well to the paddle shifters, which made it decently fun once I got used to them. I was pretty impressed by it, but maybe I'm easy to please.

I have a '13 Elantra now that I'd describe in the same way. Mine is a 6-speed manual. The shifter snaps into gear and the engine responds quickly. But I think Hyundai's '13 style language is damned pretty.

Edit: Oh, and the interior is very nice.