Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
AeroNAUTICAL Insanity - Hydroplaning Is Flying For Boats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Im sorry to continue the derail but this is bothering me for no good reason. Plus the boat thread is so boring and dead.

Caconym posted:

This is his boat:

Thats Andrey Melnichenko's yacht whos name is almost as ugly as it is. "The Moter Yacht A"

A proper boat is the Maltese Falcon

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That's pretty swank. I assume it also has an engine?

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

wdarkk posted:

That's pretty swank. I assume it also has an engine?

Or three, along with bow and stern thrusters. Probably an oceangoing tug stashed somewhere too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bob A Feet posted:

can we talk about airplanes again

wdarkk posted:

A boat is anything that can be hoisted aboard a ship.

I think you meant to say,

Bob A Feet posted:

can we talk about boats again

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Shoulda gone with

there's a canadaarm joke in here I can loving feel it

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

blugu64 posted:

Shoulda gone with

there's a canadaarm joke in here I can loving feel it

Only thing I could get was the X-38 ISS Lifeboat (sadly cancelled)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Suddenly I want to play Jenga...

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

wdarkk posted:

A boat is anything that can be hoisted aboard a ship.

USS Cole, for example, is a boat.

How do they get that onboard? I'm so confused.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
It sinks.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It has ballast tanks to sink itself below the waterline, then slip under the payload, and rise up again to lift the payload from the water.

EFB

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 29, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Gibfender posted:

How do they get that onboard? I'm so confused.

The ship it's on partially submerges itself and maneuvers underneath, then surfaces again.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Preoptopus posted:

Im sorry to continue the derail but this is bothering me for no good reason. Plus the boat thread is so boring and dead.

Thats Andrey Melnichenko's yacht whos name is almost as ugly as it is. "The Moter Yacht A"

A proper boat is the Maltese Falcon

Was talking about Yachts earlier today, found the greatest picture ever of the Maltese Falcon

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Ok that's pretty awesome, must be hard keeping it upright.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Gibfender posted:

Ok that's pretty awesome, must be hard keeping it upright.

Nah, you just go very slow and have at least two (if not four) ballast tanks abreast.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Pardon me if I interrupt boat chat to post the coolest airstrip I've ever seen:

Mega huge version:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Mega huge version:

700 x 525 is Mega Huge?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I feel like the Pandora from Crimson Skies should be lazily swinging at a mooring somewhere in that picture.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

700 x 525 is Mega Huge?

Try this one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^Thanks.

YF19pilot posted:

700 x 525 is Mega Huge?

What the poo poo? It was 2900 when I posted it.

Let's try this again:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Okan170 posted:

Only thing I could get was the X-38 ISS Lifeboat (sadly cancelled)

Sadly cancelled after the first test pilot got shot through a wormhole....

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
My dad's ongoing project to scan his slides and negatives from 50 years of planespotting continues - 1970s airliners inbound when I have time to do the upload but in the meantime I'll leave you with this airliner recognition test. Spotted on the backlot at Farnborough in 1970:

No, it's not an Avro Tudor. It's something much more interesting.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Avro Ashton

Related aeronautical insanity:

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 29, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Looks like the cheaped out on the back half of the plane, must be an Airbus product.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

FrozenVent posted:

Looks like the cheaped out on the back half of the plane, must be an Airbus product.

Yeah look how bad those interior finishings look.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gorilla Salad posted:

Pardon me if I interrupt boat chat to post the coolest airstrip I've ever seen:

Mega huge version:

Ship chat :science:

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

joat mon posted:

Avro Ashton

Dammit you guys are too good.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

D C posted:

Was talking about Yachts earlier today, found the greatest picture ever of the Maltese Falcon

Looks like a still from a Duran Duran video.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

joat mon posted:

Avro Ashton

Related aeronautical insanity:

Similarly related insanity:

Vulcan XA894 carrying the Olympus Mk 320 prototype that would be the Olympus with reheat(*) for the TSR.2

* The russian site with the avro ashton (1955) photos with the olympus incorrectly states that they had reheat - the first olympus with reheat was 10 years after the ashton test bed in the Mk 320 here that was tested on the vulcan. There's another vulcan photoed that has the Mk 593 (Concorde) testbed engine, from a few years later, which of course also has reheat.

e:

Vulcan XA903 with the Olympus Mk 593 testbed for Concorde.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 29, 2014

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gorilla Salad posted:

^^Thanks.

What the poo poo? It was 2900 when I posted it.

Let's try this again:

Any hints on where this is? GIS doesn't kick back anything.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Naturally Selected posted:

Any hints on where this is? GIS doesn't kick back anything.

Farrenberg airfield? Can't find many other pictures to confirm.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9091246

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Xandu posted:

Farrenberg airfield? Can't find many other pictures to confirm.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9091246

That's kind of disappointing, it looked like some awesome Venezuelan tepui with a runway on it, but it's just a few metres and low-lying fog :(

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

Here we are, LHR, 1970. The 747s here would have been less than a year old. Note the 747 in BOAC livery, one of only a handful delivered in that livery before British Airways was a thing. Also a good selection of early model 727s, DC-9s, and Caravelles.

Also of note is that Alitalia have not changed their colour scheme in at least 44 years!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Sadly cancelled after the first test pilot got shot through a wormhole....

What the frell are you going on about?

(I just finished re-watching all four seasons a few days ago)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Something kinda special about 747s in Pan Am livery. Always thought thats how they looked the best.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Modern airship post:

Popular mechanics has a write-up on the Aeroscraft airship. You should read the whole thing, but I can't resist highlighting two points. First, the production model they want to build is very much Aeronautical Insanity: the larger of the production models they want to build would be able to carry 250 tons of cargo (IE the capacity of the An-225) and land pretty much anywhere, at a third of the cost, using a third of the fuel.

Second: the ballast system. If you`ve been around this thread awhile you know that ballast systems are a major challenge in LTA flight, let alone when you have to deal with large amounts of cargo. These Aeroscraft dudes have solved it rather brilliantly: by making a ballast system like a submarine.

(Almost definitely not to scale)

It uses compressed helium tanks, and large air bladders. When more lift is needed, helium is sent to the bladders which displaces the air and creates more static lift. When you want less, compressors send the helium back to the storage tanks. This deflates the bladders and (duh) decreases lift.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I wonder if that's actually easier or simpler than just having a ballast tank of compressed air that you vent and refill from the atmosphere.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Modern airship post:

Popular mechanics has a write-up on the Aeroscraft airship. You should read the whole thing, but I can't resist highlighting two points. First, the production model they want to build is very much Aeronautical Insanity: the larger of the production models they want to build would be able to carry 250 tons of cargo (IE the capacity of the An-225) and land pretty much anywhere, at a third of the cost, using a third of the fuel.

Second: the ballast system. If you`ve been around this thread awhile you know that ballast systems are a major challenge in LTA flight, let alone when you have to deal with large amounts of cargo. These Aeroscraft dudes have solved it rather brilliantly: by making a ballast system like a submarine.

(Almost definitely not to scale)

It uses compressed helium tanks, and large air bladders. When more lift is needed, helium is sent to the bladders which displaces the air and creates more static lift. When you want less, compressors send the helium back to the storage tanks. This deflates the bladders and (duh) decreases lift.

Similarly:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ohio-Airships-Dynalifter/1091777/L/&sid=de943b021994a5afe93fcb8913a03dd7

This idea also seems to come up every few years, and it also never seems to pan out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
On the airship article:

quote:

could deliver immense wind turbines, hovering like a helicopter yet bearing loads normally associated with ocean freighters, and do it at faster-than-railroad speeds.

quote:

Lockheed's largest proposed version of the airship would be 800 to 900 feet long and haul about 100 tons.

100 tons is about forty 20' containers. That are empty. Modern container ships carry 10,000 20' containers that actually have freight in them. The biggest can go over 15,000 TEUs.

I love airships, but this constant refrain of "hey, we can deliver all this cargo anywhere in the world (as long as the weather is OK)" tends to ignore the fact that the folks who are willing to pay for that kind of cargo tend to set up near existing supply chains, and the operations way out in the wilderness have no way of processing and storing massive amounts of cargo. "We have no roads or warehouses, but have loads of forklifts and pallet jacks to haul this crap around!"