Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Keith Stone posted:

I've heard a few stock Harley's and I do prefer them over loud pipes.

If I can find a decent used V-rod I'll buy.

You can find used V-Rods reasonably cheap all over the place. They don't hold value quite the same as the baggers do... I guess cuz water cooling or something.

That said, if your goal is better and more comfortable 2-up riding then a V-Rod is a poor compromise. It can be bagged out and faired, but it takes a lot off the looks, and what you're left with is a goofy looking bagger with rear suspension not at all intended for 2-up riding. I say this as somebody who has put bags and a shield on a V-Max... can do, and does well, are different things.

If you want to twist your wrist, but also have something casual friendly then keep your eyes on that m109, Stratoliner/Roadliners, or if you don't mind the mpgs then look at Rocket III's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

Keith Stone posted:

That's a great looking bike, but I need something better suited to 2up riding.

The Dyna is nice for 2 up, but not as much for touring. I don't ride super long distances, but my girlfriend and I are both comfortable for several hours riding mine. She used to ride sport bikes and describes riding on my Dyna as riding a lazy boy with 2 wheels. I like that it isn't as big as the huge touring bikes, but it is still comfortable to ride. I would do the Harley rental thing though and try a few different bikes to see what you like.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Keith Stone posted:

Being 43 gives you a point of view that "manly" motorcycles really do appeal to manchildren.

Something something midlife-crisis demographic something reaffirming virility something something cheaper than an affair

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Something I've been wondering about; how come, with all the retro models coming out of HD, they've havent released some kind of "retro engined" bike, so to speak? A knucklehead, but with modern technology under the surface, or something like that.

Like the twin cam?

Keith: you want a Buell XB12XT. Trust me.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
The knucklehead really is the best-looking of the Harley motors imo. Shovelhead next, too bad the for the AMF stigma really

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Schlieren posted:

The knucklehead really is the best-looking of the Harley motors imo. Shovelhead next, too bad the for the AMF stigma really

The Evo is pretty drat sexy to me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Evos are the greatest engines. Not big power, but they are great to live with and sound wonderful.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
The weather finally cooperated enough for me to take out my 883 Iron yesterday. I've learned how to do a bunch of the stuff that were giving me problems at first, i.e. turns from stop, uphill starts, etc.

Ordered an air compressor and replacement shift peg (broke the OEM one off) and was gonna start riding a lot more soon.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

LLJKSiLk posted:

The weather finally cooperated enough for me to take out my 883 Iron yesterday. I've learned how to do a bunch of the stuff that were giving me problems at first, i.e. turns from stop, uphill starts, etc.

Ordered an air compressor and replacement shift peg (broke the OEM one off) and was gonna start riding a lot more soon.

Uphill starts are a hell of a lot easier on a bike than in a stick-shift car. On a bike all you've got to do is keep your foot on the rear brake until the light turns green. You can rev a little bit and feather the clutch with your hands when the opposing side turns yellow. Takes a little getting used to, but it's second nature after a bit.

I've still got to replace the generator on my '83 Roadster. I have a *new* cycle electric generator but it's the wrong model. I've got to sell it on ebay and get the correct one. Irritating. Either way, I intent to ride a hell of a lot more this year than I did in 2013.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Thanks for the tip. Took it out again today.

Little kids loved waving. Had a dog chase me until I gunned it.

Still keeping it close to home, but very comfortable with a lot of what had been causing problems.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
A few months back, my old man gave me his '01 Wide Glide that he bought in '03 and never once rode. It had been sitting in his garage since then because he's never home due to traveling for work. His new wife said to get rid of it so he called me up and told me if I wanted it, I just had to clean the garage (a 4 day project, but obviously worth it) and transport it from NJ to CA. Took a sweet road trip in a lovely rear end old pickup, bike strapped in the bed, with my best bud and now it's mine.

There are a handful of issues, mostly that the carb is totally gunked from sitting around with old gas in it. I haven't had the time to really gently caress with it yet but the other day, I was messing with it on the bike when something ate poo poo and started spraying gas on the exhaust, starting a small fire that I put out before anything went really south. Now I'm having a recurring dream where I'm on the bike, it does it again and lights the whole thing on fire. This would probably bother me if the rest of the dream wasn't me pulling a Ghost Rider, lookin' badass.

Obviously going to fix it before that really happens.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 7, 2014

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I'm tentatively excited about the Street 500. I've wanted a Sportster for a long time, but chose other things over it (being a ski bum for a while, for instance). I like the idea of an even slimmer, more city-friendly, more modern Harley. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be the next Buell Blast.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd just get the Sporty. The 1200 is a fantastic little engine and the amount of people across the USA who know how to work on them probably rivals the entire population of France. Plus, a clean used one will cost you about half as much as a new Street.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I like the idea of an even slimmer, more city-friendly, more modern Harley.

clutchpuck posted:

I'd just get the Sporty. The 1200 is a fantastic little engine and the amount of people across the USA who know how to work on them probably rivals the entire population of France. Plus, a clean used one will cost you about half as much as a new Street.

Clutchpuck is right. I had a Sportster as my first bike and it was already slim as gently caress - I could lanesplit easier on that little thing than I can my 690 SM. Realistically that is mostly due to mirror position, but still - if I photographed that thing from the front it barely even showed up. When I sold it, the buyer even commented on how much narrower it was than he expected. I had an 883, and as a newb first timer it got slow real fast so judging by my theoretical butt-dyno the 500 would be straight boring. There are a ton of Sportster 1200s on craigslist near me and I imagine you could pick up a very nice one for pretty cheap if you're into that style of bike, and you've got a world of readily available aftermarket stuff at hand.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Yeah, I'm still mulling over my options. I have several months until I'll have the money saved up anyway. Ultimately I'll probably just test-ride one after I do my MSF and feel it out from there. Before I found out about the Street, I was looking for an Ironhead, since a running one in good shape is still only about three grand and the insurance, even with comprehensive, is about nil. I may still go with that.

They're really going out on a huge limb with this new design... liquid cooled, 60 degree bend, under 500lb (okay, barely), actually putting some effort into making it handle well (they say). Part of me just wants to buy it on principle, to thank them for stepping out of their Boomer-Filled Safe Zone.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Probably costs more in aftermarket parts than what it's really worth, but man this looks quite fantastic:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm still saving for my first bike, and while I'd like to eventually get a big harley, I will more than likely go with something like a used KLR 650 or possibly a sportster. The street just doesn't seem worth the money right now, especially since you can't buy used.

As the person they're trying to sell this to (young-ish, new rider), I think the only thing that could sway me is if they did that ride for free MSRP trade up program they did with the sportster a few years ago.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think I speak for everyone in the Harley thread when I say "WOOOO! KLR650!"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I know it's the Harley thread and all, but if your first bike budget is so tight you're having to look back at Ironhead Sportsters, you're probably better off going metric. All the cheap Ironheads I've seen were in pretty poor shape.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

It's not just price, but that's good to know. I'm still a ways off, so I'm sure I'll be doing more research between now and the summer, but if there's known problem areas to keep an eye out for, I'd appreciate any input. I'm assuming taking a careful look for rust, chain wear, and obviously making sure it starts/runs. I'm not looking for a project, but I'm fine with some scrapes and wear.

I grew up riding ratty dirt bikes from the late 60s and 70s, (e: just realized this makes me sound older than I am; I'm 27) so the same (ee: probably broken) part of me that wants a cruiser also gets really excited at the idea of doubling down to get one with rigid mounts, chain drive, and kickstart.

That said, those ratty dirt bikes were also all metric, Honda XL175s and Hodakas and poo poo, so I may not have a great perspective on how much headache I'll be in for with a 30-40 year old Ironhead.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 12, 2014

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know it's the Harley thread and all, but if your first bike budget is so tight you're having to look back at Ironhead Sportsters, you're probably better off going metric. All the cheap Ironheads I've seen were in pretty poor shape.

I love my 31 year old ironhead. It's a pain in the rear end but I love it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

It's not just price, but that's good to know. I'm still a ways off, so I'm sure I'll be doing more research between now and the summer, but if there's known problem areas to keep an eye out for, I'd appreciate any input. I'm assuming taking a careful look for rust, chain wear, and obviously making sure it starts/runs. I'm not looking for a project, but I'm fine with some scrapes and wear.

I grew up riding ratty dirt bikes from the late 60s and 70s, (e: just realized this makes me sound older than I am; I'm 27) so the same (ee: probably broken) part of me that wants a cruiser also gets really excited at the idea of doubling down to get one with rigid mounts, chain drive, and kickstart.

That said, those ratty dirt bikes were also all metric, Honda XL175s and Hodakas and poo poo, so I may not have a great perspective on how much headache I'll be in for with a 30-40 year old Ironhead.

Ironhead known problems: the engine is poo poo and breaks all the time every time.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

High Protein posted:

Ironhead known problems: the engine is poo poo and breaks all the time every time.

Ha! Okay. I'll take that into consideration. Maybe an Evo-generation one would be a better idea.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The unit Evo is legendary.

Safety Dance posted:

I think I speak for everyone in the Harley thread when I say "WOOOO! KLR650!"

Split the difference.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 13, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

High Protein posted:

I know this is a dick thing to post in a Harley thread cause I'm not a Harley owner, but as a Ducati owner :smug:, we've worked on a bunch of ironheads at the shop and everyone who worked on them hated them. I think the biggest complaints were about the transmission actually.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Haggins posted:

I will more than likely go with something like a used KLR 650 or possibly a sportster.

Is this like wanting a rusted out 80s japanese truck OR a 70s american muscle car?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

They're both slow, heavy, and handle like poo poo. One's just a lot cheaper to fix.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
My Sporty is undergoing an intense reorganization process

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Your kidneys are next in line.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

kenny powerzzz posted:

Your kidneys are next in line.

Nah we are fabbing up an air ride seat. Twin air springs and a compressor to adjust the firmness of the seat. I like riding rigids, they make me happy.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Well carry on then sir.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Awesome! Please post progress pictures and an after.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cool project! Seconding the request for updates.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I'm debating just posting in this thread or opening a project thread. I take tons of pics during builds.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm debating just posting in this thread or opening a project thread. I take tons of pics during builds.

Either works for me but if you make a separate thread, post in here with a link.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
here is the build thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609801

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Looks like this thread could use a bump.
First Harley, a 1977 Sportster;

Current Scoot, a 2001 Ultra Glide;

As for Ironheads, they are a mechanic's bike, if you don't like wrenching avoid them. The transmission wasn't bad mechanically wise it just didn't have all the gears it really needed, the sporty had a four speed when it really wanted/needed a five speed.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Outside Dawg posted:

I've thought about getting one of those timing covers for my Buell.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Outside Dawg posted:

Current Scoot, a 2001 Ultra Glide;

As for Ironheads, they are a mechanic's bike, if you don't like wrenching avoid them. The transmission wasn't bad mechanically wise it just didn't have all the gears it really needed, the sporty had a four speed when it really wanted/needed a five speed.

Thanks for the input! I'm probably going to look for an Evo; I don't have a lot of tools and not needing to buy a ton would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Thanks for the input! I'm probably going to look for an Evo; I don't have a lot of tools and not needing to buy a ton would be helpful.

Check out Cruz Tools, they make tool kits for Harleys and Metrics. http://www.cruztools.com/products/kitshd.html That's a link to their site but I've seen their kits on several cycle sites as well as Amazon, so shop around for a deal, they are probably the best sets for tossing in your bags.

(e):Best deal on them I've found; http://www.directcycleparts.com/tools-hardware-tool-kits-cruz-tools-c-39_324_325.html their price on the Road Tech H3 kit is $20 cheaper than Amazon.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 22, 2014

• Locked thread