Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

To be fair, the advantage gained by going first on 9x9 is much larger. A 5x5 board played optimally is something like B+4.5, if I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Kheldragar posted:

I lost this game after I decided to get into a complicated fight that ended up with me loving up a capturing race. Oh sure, fill that liberty because you think black can cut there when it's a tiger's mouth AND even if black peeps he's just going to fill in his own liberties at that point. But anyways, I thought I was doing okay up to this point, but I had no idea what to do about black's influence. How does white look in this picture? Up until after this I thought I was doing well.

I can't really give a point estimate because the only definitive thing to me is the right hand side and the top right.

With that said here is my 'analysis'.

1. White currently has no influence on the left or on the top left.

2. If white choses to try and build influence/territory on the left and top left then black is going to get a huge amount of influence towards the center. (It is also possible black may successfully defend it but I think there is enough space on the top row left side and the left column top side for white to make some gains.)

3. Once black has his 'wall' set up he will be able to make gains toward territory in the center much faster than white. (This is what I meant in the comment from 2.)

4. How can white best set up his stones on the side approaching blacks corner so he can invade? (Invading with the corner outright with 3-3 is bad. However you can plan to have enough influence on the side away from the corner to really be able to strangle the drat thing. But you gotta be subtle about it.)

In short, white looks bad.

I feel like at this point in the game you really need to be more aggressive and start picking away at black.

H17 or J16 would be the route I would probably take if I were white.

If I were to play C14 or C12 I feel like that might 'spook' black. I think waiting a few moves later to explore those would be worth considering.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Under 15 posted:

To be fair, the advantage gained by going first on 9x9 is much larger. A 5x5 board played optimally is something like B+4.5, if I remember

So if I were trying to teach someone on a 9x9 board, I should use the 6.5 komi when explaining the score?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Kheldragar posted:

Is Baduk TV even worth buying? Not just for viewing the Lee Sedol game, but in general?

I find it useful. I've got an account, if we're both on KGS at the same time later I'll set it up so you can take a look and see if you think it's worth buying. You can also just enter your email at http://gogameguru.com/baduk-tv/ to get a free trial (I don't know what all is included in the free trial, but in general it's got some english subbed lesson videos, pre-recorded pro games with the commentary subbed in english, and a live stream of BadukTV.)

It's run by the one dude who runs gogameguru, so you could also just email him with questions if you have any, he's always been pretty responsive whenever I've sent him anything.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

So if I were trying to teach someone on a 9x9 board, I should use the 6.5 komi when explaining the score?
If you're just explaining scoring I would disregard komi except to mention offhand that normally White gets 6.5 bonus points to offset Black's first-turn advantage (and that the number of bonus points happens to be the same for both 9x9 and 19x19).

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, I'd just disregard komi.

If you're teaching someone in person on a small board, your best bet is to go even smaller than 9x9. Try 5x5 and make the rules first to capture a stone wins. It'll teach the basics a lot faster, I think.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Got my first blowout win on a full size board

Probably shouldnt be feeling too proud, the guys strategy seemed to be 'make giant walls that enclose nothing'. I should have been dead on the bottom left but he made a mistake and let me live in seki. I am proud i saw that his upper right corner could be killed. I killed it real early and I think he thought it was alive the whole time cause he started shoring it up in end game.

Anyway, yay go.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

uranus posted:

Probably shouldnt be feeling too proud, the guys strategy seemed to be 'make giant walls that enclose nothing'. I should have been dead on the bottom left but he made a mistake and let me live in seki. I am proud i saw that his upper right corner could be killed. I killed it real early and I think he thought it was alive the whole time cause he started shoring it up in end game.

Anyway, yay go.

Did it still count the territory in seki? Are you even supposed to do that?

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Kheldragar posted:

Did it still count the territory in seki? Are you even supposed to do that?

It depends on the scoring rules used. Japanese scoring does not count eyes in seki but under Chinese and AGA rules (and probably some others), for example, eyes in seki are worth a point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hello Go goons. I read Rich Burlew's ultrageeky but brilliant D&D webcomic Order of the Stick (which is just wrapping up its best arc yet, so it's a good time to jump on). A character in OOTS, the Monster-in-the-Dark, or MITD, is of an as-yet unspecified species, and its identity is one of the bigger unsolved mysteries in the strip to date. In this strip it plays Go with a friend, and Burlew has said there are clues to its identity in the game state he shows.

I have the barest familiarity with the rules, so I have no idea personally - what can you tell me about the players, or the nature of the game they've played, by looking at that board?

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

sebmojo posted:

Hello Go goons. I read Rich Burlew's ultrageeky but brilliant D&D webcomic Order of the Stick (which is just wrapping up its best arc yet, so it's a good time to jump on). A character in OOTS, the Monster-in-the-Dark, or MITD, is of an as-yet unspecified species, and its identity is one of the bigger unsolved mysteries in the strip to date. In this strip it plays Go with a friend, and Burlew has said there are clues to its identity in the game state he shows.

I have the barest familiarity with the rules, so I have no idea personally - what can you tell me about the players, or the nature of the game they've played, by looking at that board?

I'm no zoologist but according to my normalized western views I'd say that is the Elephant state, which should answer your question OP. Any other dorky webstrips you want me to decipher?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I'm certainly no pro, but it doesn't look like either of them knew what they were doing.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
There's no reason for Black's territory in the center to be filled in like that, except to demonstrate the effect of the two empty spaces, so that has to have been contrived by both players. Disregarding that matter, judging from the lack of anything remotely complicated on the board and from White's lead, Black has to have been a total beginner, while White could've been a total beginner or a non-beginner who chose to play in an extremely plodding fashion. There aren't any shapes with interesting names on the board.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Black has a bunch of territory in the lower left, and judging from the other panels, a little bit in the lower right, unless those stones (which got cropped out of the zoomed-in panel) are in a dead configuration.

Black's stones in the upper left would normally be dead (as in White can kill them and is in no hurry to do so, because even if Black got another move in that area, it wouldn't be enough to make a difference), except that White's stones have a weakness in that area. If Black is the next to play in that area, Black can save his stones in that corner. If White is the next to play in that area, White can play a move to patch up that weakness.

White also has a weakness on the upper side that I'm looking at right now.

Xom fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 30, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I think White is safe on the upper side. Black can try to cut off that row of White stones, but then Black has two things to do. Black can play in the middle of those White stones' living space, in order to prevent White from forming the two empty spots, which White would need to live while cut off. But then White will be able to capture Black's cutting stones (the stones Black played to separate White's stones), thereby reconnecting White's groups, before Black can capture the cut-off group. If Black first adds another stone to those cutting stones, then White can reinforce the cut-off group, then chase down and capture the cutting stones.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
As for deciding whether the arrangement of stones resemble anything in a pictorial sense, or considered as pixels, I'll leave that to you.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Also, I don't think it was a handicap game. (Theoretically it could've been a two-stone handicap, but I don't think that makes sense in this context; only no-handicap or a large handicap would make sense IMO, and certain empty spaces rule out a large handicap.)

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Xom posted:

I think White is safe on the upper side. Black can try to cut off that row of White stones, but then Black has two things to do. Black can play in the middle of those White stones' living space, in order to prevent White from forming the two empty spots, which White would need to live while cut off. But then White will be able to capture Black's cutting stones (the stones Black played to separate White's stones), thereby reconnecting White's groups, before Black can capture the cut-off group. If Black first adds another stone to those cutting stones, then White can reinforce the cut-off group, then chase down and capture the cutting stones.

Good post so What Identity is monter in a box -san

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Hardfl1p posted:

Good post so What Identity is monter in a box -san
http://senseis.xmp.net/?KoMonster

EDIT: Probably not a dragon or a butterfly or a crane or a tanuki though, or the corresponding shape would've been on the board.

Xom fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 30, 2014

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

sebmojo posted:

It says a lot about the writer's skill level. That's not a terribly high-level looking game.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

uranus posted:

Anyway, yay go.

Although I can see the URL in the screenshot, it is helpful if peeps link to their games if possible (either directly via OGS or via Eidogo for other places), because then we can review the move order and give better suggestions!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Under 15 posted:

It says a lot about the writer's skill level. That's not a terribly high-level looking game.

Thanks for your thoughts, all. It's essentially a game between an adult and a child, so that does make sense; I would guess it's about 70% a crude 8 bit picture of the monster and 30% an indication of the importance of the monster to the story as a whole, which is something that's been well signposted elsewhere.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Thanks for your thoughts, all. It's essentially a game between an adult and a child, so that does make sense; I would guess it's about 70% a crude 8 bit picture of the monster and 30% an indication of the importance of the monster to the story as a whole, which is something that's been well signposted elsewhere.

This sounds like a pretty deep stick figure internet cartoon.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
i couldn't find that joseki in kogo's

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pointsofdata posted:

This sounds like a pretty deep stick figure internet cartoon.

It's pretty amazing.

Spoilered since it's completely off topic: It started as a gag a day rules joke cartoon about cliché adventurers to give the writer some cheap content for his website, but when he got about 20 strips he decided people liked it enough to write an actual plot with actual characters, and the twists and turns he's managed to pull with it in terms of character and plot development are jawdropping. It's funny, exciting, even moving at times, and just insaaanely nerdy; but in the good way. I envy anyone who hasn't read it, as they can nail through nearly 1000 strips without having to wait two weeks to find out what happens next.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Although I can see the URL in the screenshot, it is helpful if peeps link to their games if possible (either directly via OGS or via Eidogo for other places), because then we can review the move order and give better suggestions!

Here's the game if anyone was curious http://online-go.com/game/478670

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

sebmojo posted:

It's pretty amazing.

Spoilered since it's completely off topic: It started as a gag a day rules joke cartoon about cliché adventurers to give the writer some cheap content for his website, but when he got about 20 strips he decided people liked it enough to write an actual plot with actual characters, and the twists and turns he's managed to pull with it in terms of character and plot development are jawdropping. It's funny, exciting, even moving at times, and just insaaanely nerdy; but in the good way. I envy anyone who hasn't read it, as they can nail through nearly 1000 strips without having to wait two weeks to find out what happens next.

i envy people who haven't read it too lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hardfl1p posted:

i envy people who haven't read it too lol

then u r a wise man

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sebmojo posted:

then u r a wise man

He's saying he's read it and it's shite.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

What is with that opening? If you played 3-4, it'd be like you played three corners and he approached you. :psyduck:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

uranus posted:

Quick rundown of major issues:

Move 15: One of the main things in Go is trying to keep your stones connected. If you play R7, white can respond at R5. This is a great move for white because not only does it split your stones but it puts pressure on you to make life in the corner. You now have two weak groups. Ergo if you wanted to get around the white stones in this situation, S6 would have been more elegant.

Move 25: The shape you've made here is called the empty triangle and in pretty much all cases will come back to damage or ruin you in some way. It's hard to explain but as you play more, you'll start to see why it sucks. You want to try and avoid it. Presumably you played there to "shut off" your corner and gain some territory. I would suggest try playing at F17 instead - so even if white does play in the direction of B13, you've taken the same or more profit on the other side.

Move 42: You can now kill the corner with S18. At this point it would seem neither of you are aware of this, but this is a common thing. Even in my games, if the life or death problem is super hard, I'll play elsewhere and hope I can come to it later. EDIT: This is bad Go. Read it out properly and know there and then!

Move 99: One rule - if you are attacking something, don't touch it. J13 is just as aggressive, but leaves your stones in less danger.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Move 15: One of the main things in Go is trying to keep your stones connected. If you play R7, white can respond at R5. This is a great move for white because not only does it split your stones but it puts pressure on you to make life in the corner. You now have two weak groups. Ergo if you wanted to get around the white stones in this situation, S6 would have been more elegant.

Move 25: The shape you've made here is called the empty triangle and in pretty much all cases will come back to damage or ruin you in some way. It's hard to explain but as you play more, you'll start to see why it sucks. You want to try and avoid it. Presumably you played there to "shut off" your corner and gain some territory. I would suggest try playing at F17 instead - so even if white does play in the direction of B13, you've taken the same or more profit on the other side.

Move 42: You can now kill the corner with S18. At this point it would seem neither of you are aware of this, but this is a common thing. Even in my games, if the life or death problem is super hard, I'll play elsewhere and hope I can come to it later. EDIT: This is bad Go. Read it out properly and know there and then!

Move 99: One rule - if you are attacking something, don't touch it. J13 is just as aggressive, but leaves your stones in less danger.

After move 204, white has captured your stones on the right side, although he screws it up. The line should be (starting at white 204) R12 S12 T11 S11 S13 T12 T13 and white picks up a bunch of points. This weakness at R12 has been around for most of the game, and should have been patched sometime earlier. I'm not sure when exactly would be best to reinforce the area would be, but it makes your attempt to attack white's central group (around move 100) doomed to failure, since he can play R12 and it looks like black's best response ends up in a ko for life. I've posted a couple variations into the chat of the game showing how this ko could show up.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Thanks for the analysis.

I'm playing two games against Uranus now. I'm not doing well, although hopefully I do better than that guy did. Really instructive to see specific examples of advice like this.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice everyone!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Pander posted:

Thanks for the analysis.

I'm playing two games against Uranus now. I'm not doing well, although hopefully I do better than that guy did. Really instructive to see specific examples of advice like this.

Post up your game after and we can review. Also add me on OGS if you ever want a correspondence teaching game. Username: oiseaux

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

One day we will meet in the battlefields in a game without words. And we will fight evenly.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished a 13x game with Pander http://online-go.com/game/483457

I'm wondering if when he invades at move 47 if there was a way to stop him, or does a 3-3 invasion always get the corner if done right?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

uranus posted:

Just finished a 13x game with Pander http://online-go.com/game/483457

I'm wondering if when he invades at move 47 if there was a way to stop him, or does a 3-3 invasion always get the corner if done right?
With walls that think you could have tried for a killing move, like move 50 at e2, but it is still somewhat risky.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
c7 cut makes it hard for White to make big plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I call this one: "Start as many kos as possible."

I have too many dodgy looking groups near the edges that I feel white could throw-in to get something out of, but I think I read there's nothing wrong.