Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Words cannot express how much I want to strangle every contestant from today with all their category jumping. There was a point where literally all that was left was the $400 clue in every single category. :bang:

Forrest Bounce, baby!

Why did that dude bet for a tie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

zakharov posted:

Why did that dude bet for a tie?

love

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

At least that dude didnt dress like a disgusting slob like he did yesterday.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Trebek's Scottish accent sure is something.

He does it to piss off Connery.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Discount Viscount posted:

He does it to piss off Connery.

The Welsh guy?

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

We know you don't know sports! Just guess something, man!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cup of Hemlock posted:

We know you don't know sports! Just guess something, man!

But seriously, you can't get hockey from Conn Smythe? The only way to make it more obvious it was about hockey was if the clue had Gretzky or Bobby Orr in it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DrBouvenstein posted:

But seriously, you can't get hockey from Conn Smythe? The only way to make it more obvious it was about hockey was if the clue had Gretzky or Bobby Orr in it.

I wouldn't be able to. There are real sports, sports that I keep up with for the sake of pop culture, and then there's hockey.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I thought he played it smart - he knows what he doesn't know. I guessed baseball.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Did you notice how he quickly buzzed in when he knew the basketball question? He wasn't going to ruin his rhythm.

Plus by finding and nullifying the Daily Double, he eliminated the opportunity for his opponents to have a big pay day.

The guy is the biggest dork in the world, but he knows how to play the game.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

escape artist posted:

The guy is the biggest dork in the world, but he knows how to play the game.

Except Final Jeopardy betting.

I mean...I know technically there isn't a big difference between winning solo and winning in a tie, but still...gently caress sharing glory, bet that extra $1.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I don't care if it's good strategy to hunt Daily Doubles I loving hate it

e: and then he keeps category hopping after the Daily Doubles are depleted. loving kill yourself Arthur Chu.

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 30, 2014

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
If he goes by art he'd sound like a sneeze

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I can hear Arthur repeatedly mashing his signalling device every single time. I don't think I've ever hated a Jeopardy champion this much holy poo poo.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DrBouvenstein posted:

Except Final Jeopardy betting.

I mean...I know technically there isn't a big difference between winning solo and winning in a tie, but still...gently caress sharing glory, bet that extra $1.

You realize he did that on purpose, right? He was being kind. "If you get the question right, we both win!" It was super cool of him to do.

edit: Category-hopping is also obnoxious, because it throws off your opponent. If you can do it without throwing yourself off though, it's a good idea.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

I can hear Arthur repeatedly mashing his signalling device every single time. I don't think I've ever hated a Jeopardy champion this much holy poo poo.

It's true, this guy is the worst.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

If they're looking for charisma and people who look like they're having fun playing Jeopardy in the auditions I'm not sure how they came up with this guy.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
Math: Bane of the Jeopardy! Contestant.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Ha, I know Arthur! Only found out he was on Jeopardy from his Fb updates, since I don't have TV these days outside of the internet.

Check out some of his stand-up comedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFzHx_j2V00

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if he's a Goon, though I haven't seen him in a few years. He was always right on the border of ha-ha funny and the other kind of funny. Also, knew (and obviously still knows) a ton of random poo poo.

He won our college's Worst Dressed award one year, I believe, thanks to his almost-unchanging wardrobe of white t-shirt + short + sandals, sometimes with a Hawaiian shirt thrown in for fancy occasions.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Half the Internet seems to know Arthur which I guess shouldn't surprise me.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Everyone who complains about category hopping is autistic.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Much more nerdy

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Lemmi Caution posted:

Everyone who complains about category hopping is autistic.

If wanting the Jeopardy! categories to completely deplete from top-to-bottom by the end of each round is autistic then please pass me the autism

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dont mind category jumping but it does irk me when they start a category from the middle or end. I like hearing the "easy" answers first to decipher any hints the category may provide

Half the fun of watching Jeopardy is playing along at home and weird category usage can make that difficult.

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008
Arthur used some strange but smart strategies.

He hunts for the Daily Double in the sports category that he hates, not to win big, but just to prevent one of the competitors from winning bid on it. I've never seen that strategy before.

Also, on Thursday, he lets a player that he knows he can beat tie his final score so he can beat her again the next day.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

cf1140 posted:

Arthur used some strange but smart strategies.

He hunts for the Daily Double in the sports category that he hates, not to win big, but just to prevent one of the competitors from winning bid on it. I've never seen that strategy before.

Also, on Thursday, he lets a player that he knows he can beat tie his final score so he can beat her again the next day.

There is so much luck involved in J! that this strategy is dumb. What if all the categories are right in the wheelhouse of the girl he decided to let back? Now, she's comfier, she's better on the buzzer. I hope this guy chokes on a pickle in the green room.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Forrest bounce makes wordplay categories hell to watch. I kept forgetting which clues needed to include "pal" or start with "o" and Arthur just makes me so, so, angry.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Jesus. After watching his "stand-up comedy", I am officially anti-Arthur. Holy poo poo, that was hard to watch.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

mennoknight posted:

There is so much luck involved in J! that this strategy is dumb. What if all the categories are right in the wheelhouse of the girl he decided to let back? Now, she's comfier, she's better on the buzzer. I hope this guy chokes on a pickle in the green room.

If you read the article that got linked earlier, it explained how if you bet to tie you won't find yourself in second place by a dollar.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Also, she got destroyed and ended with $0. Arthur won again with $18,000. It was a selfless, cool thing to do. It's literally the only redeeming thing he has done so far.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

And he wins again. At least he cracked a smile this time. That was a bitch of an FJ clue though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

escape artist posted:

It's literally the only redeeming thing he has done so far.

He lent me a pair of shoes one time, that was also pretty cool.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Speaking of category hopping, it has always been my dream to make a crude smiley face on the Jeopardy board.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
If I ever get on, I'm going to category hop in the most annoying way possible and then goatse this thread.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Punch Card posted:

If I ever get on, I'm going to category hop in the most annoying way possible and then goatse this thread.

Yeah but you'll still always live in your girlfriend's shadow. ;)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:siren: 80'S WEEK BEGINS TONIGHT :siren:

Please please please let Trebek come out with a mustache.

EDIT: Chuck Forrest was an 80's champ so we might see the original Forrest Bounce this week.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Double posting for this tremendous Trebek interview

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/01/31/jeopardy-alex-trebek-anniversary/5080225/

quote:

USA TODAY: What did you want to be growing up?

TREBEK: I once thought about teaching or being a doctor, or prime minister of Canada. I haven't realized those dreams, so I guess I'm a failure.

USA TODAY: Is there an award you haven't won that you'd like to have?

TREBEK: Sexiest man alive.

USA TODAY: If there was a Jeopardy! movie, who would you want to play your role?

TREBEK: Tom Hanks or Cate Blanchett. They both can do anything.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

zakharov posted:

:siren: 80'S WEEK BEGINS TONIGHT :siren:

Please please please let Trebek come out with a mustache.

EDIT: Chuck Forrest was an 80's champ so we might see the original Forrest Bounce this week.

Also if you havent watched the old episodes on Crackle they're really cool to watch: http://crackle.com/c/jeopardy-flashback/andy-westney-20-february-1991-show-1498-/2491385

Particularly if you're like me and only been watching Jeopardy for a couple years. Young Alex was quite something.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Chalk up a victory for the Jeopardy antichrist. Mr. Forrest Bounce himself advances in the tournament.

At least I have Ken Jennings, Bob Harris, Colby Burnett, and Larissa Kelly :swoon: to look forward to.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

jscolon2.0 posted:

Chalk up a victory for the Jeopardy antichrist. Mr. Forrest Bounce himself advances in the tournament.

At least I have Ken Jennings, Bob Harris, Colby Burnett, and Larissa Kelly :swoon: to look forward to.

My mother (a big Jeopardy fan who raised me on the game) loved Chuck when he was first on, so she was excited for this episode and the return of the Forrest Bounce and Alex saying "Chuck?" a lot.

Personally I'm excited for the return this week of Former Port Authority Police Lt. Frank Spangenberg.