Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I just got my slightly-dogeared TPB of Dini's Batman: Detective book and I had forgotten just how loving good these six stories were. The Riddler one involving him taking Batman to an underground BDSM club made me :stare: a bit when I saw the book was earmarked under "Young Adult." The "Slayride" story with Joker and Robin with dead parents in the back of their SUV would be enough to give any kid nightmares.

Here's a "motion comic" of the issue (with some pretty horrible amateur voiceover): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3pq8iP__HM (note: turn your speakers down once the Christmas carol starts playing)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

It's a little weird how Freddie talks about Cpt. Marvel Jr. as a different person. Sivana jr too, come to think of it.

Have you ever read Miracleman?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

It's a little weird how Freddie talks about Cpt. Marvel Jr. as a different person. Sivana jr too, come to think of it.

Captain Marvel comics are just kind of like that. They are the same person but also different people. It's a bit weird but they're pretty consistent with it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guardians of the Galaxy #11 - Tony Stark isn't good with alien tech

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm really enjoying the way Bendis is humbling Tony in GotG, it's pretty refreshing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Don't ask where Captain Marvel got the herring.

Whiz Comics #138

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ImpAtom posted:

Whiz Comics #138

And then he's going to use it to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ImpAtom posted:

Were Captain Marvel comics where people with obscure fetishes hung out before the internet? That scientist seems way less outraged by such a bizarre and humiliating punishment than I'd expect.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Batman 656 (Morrison run)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Were Captain Marvel comics where people with obscure fetishes hung out before the internet? That scientist seems way less outraged by such a bizarre and humiliating punishment than I'd expect.

Sivana is just used to this poo poo. His life is bizarre as balls.

Whiz Comics #130

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Sivana is just used to this poo poo. His life is bizarre as balls.

Whiz Comics #130

:allears: Oh my gosh.

A man is complaining to Spidey that a vampire lives in a haunted house.

Spidey goes to investigate and he meets...

Spidey Super Stories #14

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I legit would watch Spiderman meets Blacula.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

The latter, definitely. Like, on a critical level, it's pretty laughable, but it's definitely a fun time if you're a wrestling fan.

If the art didn't look like Greg Land trying to imitate Michael Kupperman, it'd probably be a much better read. As it is, extremely iconic wrestlers look nothing like their real life counterparts, and characters' faces fluctuate wildly from panel to panel.

Mister Roboto posted:

His wife said, a black man dressing up as Dracula is risky. But he was like no, in this day and age, surely no one would go there. He didn't count on Mister Roboto.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mister Roboto posted:

The best part is that this Blacula was most likely played by Morgan Freeman.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

404GoonNotFound posted:

The best part is that this Blacula was most likely played by Morgan Freeman.

He's a black man wearing a cape. Clearly the best person to take the role is Mr. Colt .45 himself, Billy Dee Williams.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I thought he kinda looked like a slightly skinnier Neil deGrasse Tyson.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tony Stark has given JJJ the Mk II suit in exchange for a donation to his favorite charity. JJJ turns it into Manbot, a remote controlled robot that tracks Spider-Man's heartbeat. Also note that the Sunday colorist and Daily colorist are having a disagreement over Iron Man.

But that may not be the end of Manbot!

:allears:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If it isn't my old enemy, a van

beep boop

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You forgot to include the one just after the crash where the guy is yelling in terror, trapped in a wrecked van.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I love that JJJ transmitting the signal from his phone to the cameras looks like he's using some sort of supervillain device.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

The MSJ posted:

I love that JJJ transmitting the signal from his phone to the cameras looks like he's using some sort of supervillain device.

When you think about it, a lot of the stuff that nerds have today were supervillain staples. Multiple monitors, cameras everywhere spying, "cool" nickames they gave themselves, crippling inferiority complexes coupled with a desire to look down on everyone and SHOW THEM ALL, etc.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

CapnAndy posted:

If it isn't my old enemy, a van

beep boop

If only it read 'Fappo'...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

GorfZaplen posted:

Tony Stark has given JJJ the Mk II suit in exchange for a donation to his favorite charity. JJJ turns it into Manbot, a remote controlled robot that tracks Spider-Man's heartbeat. Also note that the Sunday colorist and Daily colorist are having a disagreement over Iron Man.

But that may not be the end of Manbot!

:allears:

The base story is interesting. But....Damm, JJJ, you are proud of them pearly whites. Not that I blame you, but you're reminding me of the Joker. Or M.Bison.

"I must know the name of your dentist, and you WILL talk!"
"NEVER!"

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Context: Frank and Elektra have been hooking up on and off for the past few issues.

Thunderbolts 21

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Strontosaurus posted:

Context: Frank and Elektra have been hooking up on and off for the past few issues.

Thunderbolts 21

Frank looks good with that fusili mustache. He should keep it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
This has been driving me crazy - there's a Namor comic segment where he's complaining about humans and their pollution and how some fish are coming to resemble them that I've been trying to find with no success. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

dog kisser posted:

This has been driving me crazy - there's a Namor comic segment where he's complaining about humans and their pollution and how some fish are coming to resemble them that I've been trying to find with no success. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I think that was in Strange Tales?

Wizbang
Jan 13, 2005

"Y...you...oh...okay. I'll...
I'll be here if you change your mind...
we can be space cowboys together later...

dog kisser posted:

It was posted back on page 173. Speculation at that time said it was Strange Tales I:

A dog, a barrel--ridiculous!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Flater posted:

I think that was in Strange Tales?

Yep, Strange Tales #1

"A Dog, A Barrel - Ridiculous!" gets me every goddamn time

edit: DAMMIT

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Michael Kupperman is basically amazing, yes:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
If it weren't Marvel I'd have expected the Namor piece to appear in Bizarro Comics. There needs to be more collected and easy to find sources for all the silly just for fun one-offs out there.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Majuju posted:

Michael Kupperman is basically amazing, yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrlaSlszEV0

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 30, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Someone post the sequence where teens trying to party at a swamp are being harrassed by mosquitoes and gators.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Choco1980 posted:

If it weren't Marvel I'd have expected the Namor piece to appear in Bizarro Comics. There needs to be more collected and easy to find sources for all the silly just for fun one-offs out there.

Welp:

http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Tales-Oversized-Becky-Cloonan/dp/0785146261/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=
http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Tales-II-Stranges/dp/0785148221/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1391107300

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

If the art didn't look like Greg Land trying to imitate Michael Kupperman, it'd probably be a much better read. As it is, extremely iconic wrestlers look nothing like their real life counterparts, and characters' faces fluctuate wildly from panel to panel.
I'm looking at a panel of AJ and the Bellas' faces, and it looks like they're now Bella Triplets.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 30, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

I'm looking at a panel of AJ and the Bellas' faces, and it looks like they're now Bella Triplets.

AJ Styles is the belle that will not tell?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Well cool my rods and call my Chernobyl. Now I have something ELSE to look for at random.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Thunderbolts #21. Where the man with a brain-eating alien for pants and a possessed biker with a flaming skull head are the most down-to-earth guys on the team. Plus we discover Deadpool's hidden superpower.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I enjoyed that single "I'm a notary" panel more than every panel of T-bolts to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That is stuff I want out of comics. gently caress smashing poo poo all the time, give me more of that.

• Locked thread