Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I've had a few rentals from Enterprise lately after three trips to D.C. in the past 4 months, and after a terrifying incident in an Chevy Aveo on the Philadelphia turnpike a couple years back, I now only book "Full Size" rentals. In October, I paid to upgrade to a Dodge Challenger - and despite the mortifying visibility issues (the "hips" pretty much negate a good chunk of mirror visibility), it was a joy to eat up highway miles. When I went back to D.C. in December, I decided not to upgrade, and was presented with either a Dodge Charger or a Toyota Camry. That was not a difficult decision to make, and, like the 300, I think that it rides beautifully, handles admirably (for its significant bulk), and again, just lapped up miles.

So I was looking forward to getting another Challenger or Charger when I was in D.C. three weeks ago; but they were strangely out of both. Instead, I was offered a $10 upgrade to a Premium vehicle - a 2014 Buick Lacrosse. I was excited at the time - as I've never driven a new Buick before, or any premium GM product, for that matter, and wanted to see what it was like. Some of the observations I made:

The Lacrosse I had was a V6; but it took me a while to figure that out. The throttle mapping was so strongly tuned for relaxed driving (or fuel economy, or both) that applying light to moderate throttle pressure didn't do much; in fact, throttle response was pretty numb for the first 3/4 of pedal travel.
I only worked out that it was a V6 after going around a corner with my foot in the carpet, and nearly spearing into a garbage truck.

Buick has some great ideas for luxury; for example, the soft blue cabin lighting intricately wound around the dashboard, acting as a demarcation between the (authentic-looking-plastic) wooden dash trim lower half and soft leather upper half - this gave the car an old-world luxurious feel with a modern techno-twist.

Technology fitted was top notch, but executed poorly/dangerously: I was excited to drive my first car with a TFT screen in place of some traditional instruments; but was instantly perplexed as to why it was merely showing me a digital representation of an analog speedometer. Why do I want to see that? Why not put a real speedo there if that's what you're going to show me?

I decided to play around with the menus and found that this was merely one view option; you could change to other view modes which would then give you a digital speed readout. But then, the font was surprisingly small, and the bulk of the screen (maybe 90% of it) was just blank, not showing a tach or anything interesting. Not any information from the stereo or whatever.

Speaking of the stereo; there's a nice, huge touchscreen, fitted with a frustrating "app" based OS that was laggy and constantly crashed with my phone connected to it. Bewilderingly, it had a "NAV" button, but pushing that then advised that in order to use Navigation, you had to have the address entered VIA FREAKING ONSTAR. I figured that this could have been because I was driving at the time, so I made a point to try the NAV button again, with the car stopped, in PARK, and even had the handbrake engaged. Again, it advised that to use Navigation, you had to call Onstar. What the gently caress.

The dangerous part came because the huge touchscreen only dimmed slightly for nighttime driving - but it was still far too large, bright and distracting for my taste. I did everything I could to find a way to turn it off completely - but as far as I could see, there is no way at all to turn the screen off altogether - save for unplugging and replugging my phone into the USB several times, which would cause the system to crash, and the screen to stay off while it rebooted (taking about 3-5 minutes).

Really, though, there were some serious design blunders for what is supposed to be a luxury car. Like, the kind of blunders that I would think were obvious. Most egregiously;
*Steering wheel controls on the model I was driving included those "blank" filler buttons that do nothing - i.e. you got the lower trim, so the buttons are just there so there isn't a hole. How is this excusable on a luxury car? Couldn't you have put some other function there?
*Navigation functionality (or lack thereof) - why the hell should I have to call OnStar?
*Touchscreen lag/crashing and overbrightness and poo poo design; for example, there are virtual "Previous/Next" select buttons, LITERALLY DIRECTLY ABOVE HARDWARE BUTTONS FOR THE SAME THING. Why? Why not use this real estate more effectively?
*Manual transmission controls are loving AWFUL. I was excited when I saw the "M" position on the shifter; and then confused when there were no paddles behind the steering wheel, and that the column shifter didn't move to the left or right. So how, then, do you change gear up and down?

Isn't it obvious? With your drat thumb!

Overall, what I would equate this car to is a top-model Chevrolet. In its current state, it doesn't feel luxurious enough to be in its own brand.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rehosted that for ya.

Beach Bum posted:

When I wrecked the Volvo I got a 2013 Chevy Cruze with about 3k on the clock. It had the 1.6L turbo I4, full interior with goodies, and goddamnw as it a hoot to drive while getting 35MPG.

That'd be the 1.4, actually. Feels a lot quicker than a 1.4 should, doesn't it? I had a 2011 or 2012 Cruze rental sometime in 2012; turning off traction control and standing on the throttle left a big ol' :haw: on my face every time the turbo spooled up. To be fair, it was raining... Funny thing is, it was showing 31 MPG when I picked it up.. and 36 MPG when I dropped it off, despite using the throttle as an on/off switch the entire time I had it.

I'm still not opposed to the idea of owning one, though it'd have to be one with a manual transmission. The auto is surprisingly responsive, but I need my 3 pedals damnit :corsair:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

dissss posted:

Looks like a run of the mill car with some weird light placement

You don't have to look far to find the same sort of thing now

I didn't think they could make the new Civic quite as ugly as the previous one but there we go.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

angryhampster posted:

Mainstream cars always have.

yeah, but at least in previous decades they had a shape. almost all the modern cars on the road just seem... formless, somehow. no soul, no shape.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've seen at least one picture of this car before in the old thread, but someone caught it in the wild apparently. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

All those and more from here

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Christ, this guy... at least block off your fake exhaust.

The Ultimate Poseur Machine.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The saddest part about that car is that everything looks really well done. It's just terrible.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
What's with the undercover Pringles guy?

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

e:^^^Lowrider magazine mascot.

I would like to take a moment and remind everyone that this Hot Rod is front wheel drive.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'm totally okay with this car being what it is as long as it never rolls under its own power on public roads. The tire stickers give me some hope that it's a show car/trailer queen. Go nuts and build the car of your dreams, but don't make your contraption everyone elses' problem.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I just can't understand the thought process behind it. That amount of money could have easily made a REAL dragster.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Isn't Delaware a big hit area for heroin use? that might explain things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Note how the picture with the stickers on the tire also has a black rear bumper.. that's probably when the build was still in progress. The mesh in that shot isn't trimmed properly either.

Basically what I'm saying is we still don't have evidence whether it goes on the street or not.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Geirskogul posted:

The point is, compared to the ancient shitpiles we buy and attempt to restore so often here in the forums, almost any modern car is quiet, easy to operate, smarter, and much more fuel efficient. Sometimes new cars lack a little soul, that's all.

Except the dodge avenger. gently caress the avenger. They are give-up-on-life cars. The sweatpants of transportation.

Dodge Avenger, the car for people who...pretty much had it with cars.

OOoooooh, ANGRY HEADLIGHTS!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klLSZooiirk

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Before the dealership delivered my girlfriend's tC they gave her a 2013 Focus as a loaner and I finally got to play around with the DCT. It was pretty boring and felt like a typical automatic but if you put it in sport mode and shifted up/down with the thumb controls on the shifter it was a riot. The motor would hold gears to redline (though it would upshift before the rev-limit) and rev-match downshifts. It was also surprisingly good about letting you go into whatever gear you liked as long as it wasn't a completely stupid idea.

If I had to buy a car with an automatic it'd be at the top of my list. I can't imagine what a "good" DCT feels like. :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Previa_fun posted:

If I had to buy a car with an automatic it'd be at the top of my list. I can't imagine what a "good" DCT feels like. :v:

Drive a GTI

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sarcastx posted:

*Navigation functionality (or lack thereof) - why the hell should I have to call OnStar?

So people will subscribe to it.

One of the more :psyduck: features on my GM fleet vehicle (A 2012 Chevrolet Captiva, which is a rebadged last-gen Saturn Vue) is it has bluetooth connectivity for phones, however you have to buy minutes from OnStar in order to make calls from your own phone over the bluetooth system.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

xzzy posted:

Basically what I'm saying is we still don't have evidence whether it goes on the street or not.

:ssh:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Soviet/Russian Concept cars...

http://englishrussia.com/2014/01/26/soviet-concept-cars/#more-137210

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

yeah, but at least in previous decades they had a shape. almost all the modern cars on the road just seem... formless, somehow. no soul, no shape.

Welcome to the 21st century where we have crash standards and crumple zones and pedestrian impact zones and fifteen airbags. Hard to make a crisp, clean silhouette when you have to cram in all that stuff.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Slavvy posted:

Welcome to the 21st century where we have crash standards and crumple zones and pedestrian impact zones and fifteen airbags. Hard to make a crisp, clean silhouette when you have to cram in all that stuff.

Also fuel economy standards. Long-gone are the days of being able to design a car that has all of the aerodynamic qualities of a brick wall because "gasoline will cost less than $.10/gallon forever!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortunately there will always be Lamborghini who somehow make their cars look more ridiculous with each generation.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

Fortunately there will always be Lamborghini who somehow make their cars look more ridiculous with each generation.

Says the man who's never seen the Gallardo

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There are even rather specific laws governing location and shape of headlights. Which is why you don't have the crazy LED light bars every futuremovie car has. Heck, that's why American cars had dumb sealed beam headlights long after EU had abandoned them.

Kinda wish we had a thread on the sociology and policy impacts on cars.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
I just watched a car get towed out of the parking lot on a flatbed. The only thing was, the operator didn't lower the bed at all as he pulled the car up, even as the back tires came off the ground, so that back exhaust is probably a lot flatter than it was before.

The car was still drivable (you can't see the front damage from the picture) but maybe it was still written off and is going to a junkyard.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That doesn't look like a tow truck, looks like a scrapper. Probably one of those "we'll pay $300 and take your car away today" type deals.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

sarcastx posted:

I've had a few rentals from Enterprise lately after three trips to D.C. in the past 4 months, and after a terrifying incident in an Chevy Aveo on the Philadelphia turnpike a couple years back, I now only book "Full Size" rentals. In October, I paid to upgrade to a Dodge Challenger - and despite the mortifying visibility issues (the "hips" pretty much negate a good chunk of mirror visibility), it was a joy to eat up highway miles. When I went back to D.C. in December, I decided not to upgrade, and was presented with either a Dodge Charger or a Toyota Camry. That was not a difficult decision to make, and, like the 300, I think that it rides beautifully, handles admirably (for its significant bulk), and again, just lapped up miles.

So I was looking forward to getting another Challenger or Charger when I was in D.C. three weeks ago; but they were strangely out of both. Instead, I was offered a $10 upgrade to a Premium vehicle - a 2014 Buick Lacrosse. I was excited at the time - as I've never driven a new Buick before, or any premium GM product, for that matter, and wanted to see what it was like. Some of the observations I made:

The Lacrosse I had was a V6; but it took me a while to figure that out. The throttle mapping was so strongly tuned for relaxed driving (or fuel economy, or both) that applying light to moderate throttle pressure didn't do much; in fact, throttle response was pretty numb for the first 3/4 of pedal travel.
I only worked out that it was a V6 after going around a corner with my foot in the carpet, and nearly spearing into a garbage truck.

Buick has some great ideas for luxury; for example, the soft blue cabin lighting intricately wound around the dashboard, acting as a demarcation between the (authentic-looking-plastic) wooden dash trim lower half and soft leather upper half - this gave the car an old-world luxurious feel with a modern techno-twist.

Technology fitted was top notch, but executed poorly/dangerously: I was excited to drive my first car with a TFT screen in place of some traditional instruments; but was instantly perplexed as to why it was merely showing me a digital representation of an analog speedometer. Why do I want to see that? Why not put a real speedo there if that's what you're going to show me?

I decided to play around with the menus and found that this was merely one view option; you could change to other view modes which would then give you a digital speed readout. But then, the font was surprisingly small, and the bulk of the screen (maybe 90% of it) was just blank, not showing a tach or anything interesting. Not any information from the stereo or whatever.

Speaking of the stereo; there's a nice, huge touchscreen, fitted with a frustrating "app" based OS that was laggy and constantly crashed with my phone connected to it. Bewilderingly, it had a "NAV" button, but pushing that then advised that in order to use Navigation, you had to have the address entered VIA FREAKING ONSTAR. I figured that this could have been because I was driving at the time, so I made a point to try the NAV button again, with the car stopped, in PARK, and even had the handbrake engaged. Again, it advised that to use Navigation, you had to call Onstar. What the gently caress.

The dangerous part came because the huge touchscreen only dimmed slightly for nighttime driving - but it was still far too large, bright and distracting for my taste. I did everything I could to find a way to turn it off completely - but as far as I could see, there is no way at all to turn the screen off altogether - save for unplugging and replugging my phone into the USB several times, which would cause the system to crash, and the screen to stay off while it rebooted (taking about 3-5 minutes).

Really, though, there were some serious design blunders for what is supposed to be a luxury car. Like, the kind of blunders that I would think were obvious. Most egregiously;
*Steering wheel controls on the model I was driving included those "blank" filler buttons that do nothing - i.e. you got the lower trim, so the buttons are just there so there isn't a hole. How is this excusable on a luxury car? Couldn't you have put some other function there?
*Touchscreen lag/crashing and overbrightness and poo poo design; for example, there are virtual "Previous/Next" select buttons, LITERALLY DIRECTLY ABOVE HARDWARE BUTTONS FOR THE SAME THING. Why? Why not use this real estate more effectively?
*Manual transmission controls are loving AWFUL. I was excited when I saw the "M" position on the shifter; and then confused when there were no paddles behind the steering wheel, and that the column shifter didn't move to the left or right. So how, then, do you change gear up and down?

Isn't it obvious? With your drat thumb!

Overall, what I would equate this car to is a top-model Chevrolet. In its current state, it doesn't feel luxurious enough to be in its own brand.

You get a dashboard full of blanks in any luxury car. e.g. Because of mutually exclusive options, it's not possible to get a Panamera with every spot on the dash filled, so your $300k Turbo S LWB with every possible option ticked is still going to have blanks on the dash for where the Eco button or some poo poo is on the Hybrid. This is a piddly thing to be complaining about in a $30k Buick.

The rest if your post is basically "I wasn't able to figure out the infotainment system in one day". On an otherwise perfectly competent car that does everything it sets out to do well.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

The rest if your post is basically "I wasn't able to figure out the infotainment system in one day". On an otherwise perfectly competent car that does everything it sets out to do well.

Well, think of it like this: I've rented three cars from Enterprise and would genuinely consider buying two of them, on the basis of my rental experience.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
to possibly continue an argument, on my drive home from work I saw someone in their fresh-off-the-lot 200 ... with retractable hardtop. I'm sure it's no worse mechanically than the Sebring convertible, but all I can picture is small children getting chewed up in folding roof panels gone mad.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Fucknag posted:

I've seen at least one picture of this car before in the old thread, but someone caught it in the wild apparently. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

All those and more from here

I've seen this before, in fact I think I posted images of it in one of the older threads. The fake NOS and the fact that it's still FWD are the best parts of it.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Hey Boomerjinks, how do you like that Geo Prizm?

Also, a guy widened his cherokee by 14 inches and wants $25000 for it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4311811511.html

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There is (was? it was a loooong time ago) a build thread for that monument of poor decisions somewhere on the internet. I remember being like "gently caress yeah, door slammer quarter-mile Celica!" and then I got to the dead rear axle and non-functional go-fast bits and just closed the window and shook my head.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Whoa. That sure is something special.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My brain hurts looks at that Cherokee. Feels like the image was stretched.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

JackRabbitStorm posted:

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Reminds me of the double-wide Wrangler that's probably somewhere in this thread already.

It's a Jeeeeeeeep! :downs:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What was even the point? Even by the standards of this thread it's a struggle to figure out why anyone would bother doing that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm pretty sure that one was funded by an over abundance of oil money and a lack of taste. At that point I'm guessing you can act on your smallest whims simply because you don't have a reason not to.

The yellow one though, if I squint it looks like a poor man's hummer.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Maybe he wanted the closest he could get to a real H1 without the cost. Although he has none of the benefits and added probably the biggest detraction of the humvee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Reminds me of the double-wide Wrangler that's probably somewhere in this thread already.

It's a Jeeeeeeeep! :downs:
Had they added the extra e's to the badge, it would have belonged in the opposite thread.