Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well that was pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am pretty sure its Supernatural then Arrow.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The CW's ratings can't really be compared to other networks. If Gossip Girl aired on literally any other network it'd be cancelled in a heartbeat - but the CW has set up an entirely different business model.

1) CW execs talk a lot about how their shows have smaller viewerships but crazy passionate fans who buy LOTS of memorabilia.
2) I don't know about Arrow, but the CW markets and has a much better sense of where to air episodes abroad. Nikita had awful ratings in the states but lasted multiple seasons almost entirely on all the money they made internationally.
3) Because the CW has less to program, they generally will stick by a failing program much more than a CBS can afford to.
4) A lot of people are beginning to see Arrow as the marquee CW show - though I'd probably reckon Vampire Diaries is the more indicative show.
5) They're giving Arrow a spinoff. The show will be on for at LEAST another year or two.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Narcissus1916 posted:

The CW's ratings can't really be compared to other networks. If Gossip Girl aired on literally any other network it'd be cancelled in a heartbeat - but the CW has set up an entirely different business model.

1) CW execs talk a lot about how their shows have smaller viewerships but crazy passionate fans who buy LOTS of memorabilia.
2) I don't know about Arrow, but the CW markets and has a much better sense of where to air episodes abroad. Nikita had awful ratings in the states but lasted multiple seasons almost entirely on all the money they made internationally.
3) Because the CW has less to program, they generally will stick by a failing program much more than a CBS can afford to.
4) A lot of people are beginning to see Arrow as the marquee CW show - though I'd probably reckon Vampire Diaries is the more indicative show.
5) They're giving Arrow a spinoff. The show will be on for at LEAST another year or two.

Yea CW is not at all focused on pure ratings, they want DEDICATED fans. Supernatural doesn't get great ratings, but its fans are loving MENTAL (I say this as one), we will buy tons of crap. They have a much more shallow pool, but it works because it's a pool their core crowd eats up eagerly. They're the embodiment of targeted programming. They know we want to see pretty boys fighting things and/or pretty girls having ~drama~, they will never try to give us more than that because that poo poo works for them.

Also yea, Arrow is doing great under CW metrics, it has at least a good couple years left, getting a spinoff is never a bad sign.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The show was enough of a hit in Canada that it got moved from a secondary station to one of its primary ones, CTV, last year.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I love Arrow. "Hey, here's a plotline that any other show would drag out over half the season until it got really tedious... aaaaand we're done."

I think I read an interview with the showrunner recently where he said his philosophy about mythology-building is to put the pedal all the way to the floor and never let off.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So many exciting things going on in that episode but I can't let the return of Walter go unmentioned. We missed ya, buddy :unsmith:

Katie Cassady's makeup looked so much better this episode, I really hope people can stop talking about how weird she looks now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Arrow Season 2: "It's More of a Squad Really..."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Crunk Abortion posted:

The :allears: emoticon should be Felicity. It fits perfectly. Throw on some glasses and a ponytail.

I've got a question for goons who understand this kind of thing better than I do: How is this show doing in the ratings? I feel like looking at the numbers on Wikipedia like it's kind of in a decline, is there a danger of it not getting picked up for another season? It's a good enough show that I'm starting to worry about it getting cut down in it's prime. Even here on the forums I feel like this thread doesn't command as much attention on Wednesdays as it did last year.

Ratings are great and it's one of CW's biggest shows. They don't order spin-offs directly to pilot of shows that aren't doing well. Also, we're only half way through the season and this thread is already 42 pages longer than last year's thread was. Don't worry.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
:thumbsup: Moira Queen...future mayor. :thumbsup:

"Oh, I'm running for public office to help save this city from the mess I helped create. I want people to remember me for good things... right after I have my OBGYN KILLED!!!" :unsmigghh:

:thumbsup: Vote Queen. :thumbsup:

(paid for the committee to elect Moira Queen - building Earthquake Machines since 2012.) :smug:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Goddamn, this episode. I say that every episode, but goddamn. I hope this means more Michael Jai White. Teaming with Deadshot.

With Harley banging poo poo with a giant Bozo Mallet.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
God I cannot believe how well this show works within the DC comic universe while still being fantastic in almost all aspects. I've been hate-watching Agents of Shield for weeks now but every time I watch Arrow its like, yeah, this is how you do a comic book show.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea CW is not at all focused on pure ratings, they want DEDICATED fans. Supernatural doesn't get great ratings, but its fans are loving MENTAL (I say this as one), we will buy tons of crap. They have a much more shallow pool, but it works because it's a pool their core crowd eats up eagerly. They're the embodiment of targeted programming. They know we want to see pretty boys fighting things and/or pretty girls having ~drama~, they will never try to give us more than that because that poo poo works for them.

Also yea, Arrow is doing great under CW metrics, it has at least a good couple years left, getting a spinoff is never a bad sign.

The most extreme example of this ever on the CW (and its previous names) is Smallville. Holy poo poo, that show was so bad, got not very good ratings, but went on for a decade. The last couple seasons were alright, but it was pretty much a Justice League show at that point.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Dead Snoopy posted:

:thumbsup: Moira Queen...future mayor. :thumbsup:

"Oh, I'm running for public office to help save this city from the mess I helped create. I want people to remember me for good things... right after I have my OBGYN KILLED!!!" :unsmigghh:

:thumbsup: Vote Queen. :thumbsup:

(paid for the committee to elect Moira Queen - building Earthquake Machines since 2012.) :smug:

Yeah that was a little odd but might just be a misdirection since it seemed so much like the pilot where she was trying to "kidnap" her son after he came back from the island. But yeah it seemed really sinister considering. I'm not gonna write off that plotline right away since I'm sure they can go places with it. Even though pretty much all the episodes prior to this were super laser focused on Team Arrow's shenanigans for the most part I like that they're pulling back a bit to show us more.

Also Sarah is back :allears: I don't care if Laurel is supposed to become Black Canary as long as Sarah isn't fridged and she occasionally shows up as Canary and just upstages her sister when a fight breaks out :allears:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What a loving great episode. Ollie letting Roy in on the big secret so fast was awesome and amazingly in-line with the whole show moving crazy fast.

Sadly, Laurel was once again a complete deadweight that ruined every scene she was in. Please kill her. She is a terrible actress with a terrible pathetic character, she offers nothing of value. Could even cause a big jump in character development for detective Lance, who is awesome.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

E the Shaggy posted:

Suicide Squad. Ra's Al Ghul. Merlyn. Deadshot.

God drat, any one of these could be the "big bad" for the season, but all of them are converging at the same time. Insane!

Pretty sure Slade is going to be the big bad for this season, and the rest is just them threading their plots for seasons to come. Unless they do some sort of redemtion arc for Slade, and turn him into an anti hero who teams up with Oliver to fight the greater evil (I want this so bad).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Taffer posted:

Sadly, Laurel was once again a complete deadweight that ruined every scene she was in. Please kill her. She is a terrible actress with a terrible pathetic character, she offers nothing of value. Could even cause a big jump in character development for detective Lance, who is awesome.

It's never going to happen so let it go. They are trying to give her poo poo to do, wait and see how it works out. She is in fact not a terrible actress, and they have good writers, so assuming they find the right material to give her everything should be fine.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
(*&)@&#_*@_*$_+ SERIOUSLY! that episode felt like a movie and next week... gently caress. nerdgasm.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The distraction from crazy dangerous stupid Roy and another earthquake machine with DRAMATIC MUSIC is...Laurel is GASP drunk at a bar. That was all a little silly.

Humble Advice Thea is much better than Nagging Girlfriend Thea or Drunken Druggie Thea. Even if she has accidentally give her still-quite-sinister mother some really bad advice. I'm conflicted because she's probably the better candidate because Blood is MORE secretly evil, but publicly she's worse in just about every way.

I think "Arrow Season 2: Team Arrow!" should be the new thread title.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Thea has basically rocketed up my favorite character list this season because she's had something to do all season. Lance has jumped up as well. I'm excited for next week. Nyssa will be a great birthday present.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I apologize in advance for all the fangasming I'll be doing next week. Greg Rucka is easily the most under-rated comics writer in the past decade, his Gotham Central run is particularly defining.

That out of the way, jesus H joseph we're off and running again aren't we? In past posts I've yammered on about all the storylines they're juggling but tonight reminded me how many of them are intricately tied together. The season has basically split between Sara/League of Assassins and everything with Blood and Slade.

But it is becoming increasingly hard to bifurcate those plots. Sara increasingly looks to be the lynchpin in the island flashbacks, and holds more than enough knowledge about Mirakuru and Slade. And Malcolm is still twisting in the wind, no doubt ready to be thrown onto the field at the absolute craziest time.

And while it was all pretty organic, there was a bunch of "Remember Malcolm Merlyn?!" moments floating about tonight.

gently caress it, I don't want to analyze right now. I just want to admire how drat fun this hour was and how glad I am that they glided past all the predictable Roy material to get to the good stuff.

Does anyone remember how Ollie revealed his identity to Diggle and Felicity? I remember Amell playing the hell out of the moment when he decided to tell Tommy, but before then my mind is a bit hazy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Narcissus1916 posted:

I apologize in advance for all the fangasming I'll be doing next week. Greg Rucka is easily the most under-rated comics writer in the past decade, his Gotham Central run is particularly defining.

That out of the way, jesus H joseph we're off and running again aren't we? In past posts I've yammered on about all the storylines they're juggling but tonight reminded me how many of them are intricately tied together. The season has basically split between Sara/League of Assassins and everything with Blood and Slade.

But it is becoming increasingly hard to bifurcate those plots. Sara increasingly looks to be the lynchpin in the island flashbacks, and holds more than enough knowledge about Mirakuru and Slade. And Malcolm is still twisting in the wind, no doubt ready to be thrown onto the field at the absolute craziest time.

And while it was all pretty organic, there was a bunch of "Remember Malcolm Merlyn?!" moments floating about tonight.

gently caress it, I don't want to analyze right now. I just want to admire how drat fun this hour was and how glad I am that they glided past all the predictable Roy material to get to the good stuff.

Does anyone remember how Ollie revealed his identity to Diggle and Felicity? I remember Amell playing the hell out of the moment when he decided to tell Tommy, but before then my mind is a bit hazy.

Diggle got caught in the fight between Oliver and Deadshot and Oliver had to take him back to his lair to patch him up and give him the magic chinese island herbs of cure everything.

When Oliver got shot by his mother he made it downstairs to the carpark and hid in Felicity's car, and asked her for help.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Drunk! Laurel is pretty rad. I liked at the very end where she tries to lock her door but misses and they don't even focus on it.

Also gently caress yes more Canary.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Drunk Laurel started off super annoying but then turned into the most entertaining thing I've seen all week.

The whole episode was kinda like that, really. The first half was pretty rough but just got more and more kickass by the end.

Here's a rando factoid from someone who's listened to the season 1 soundtrack far more times than was probably necessary: the theme playing during Ollie and Roy's conversation, after they destroyed the machine, is a reprise of the theme that played when Ollie saved Roy on the train that first time. It popped up several times in season 1 but I can't recall hearing it much in season 2 until now. :3:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

kazmeyer posted:

I love Arrow. "Hey, here's a plotline that any other show would drag out over half the season until it got really tedious... aaaaand we're done."

I think I read an interview with the showrunner recently where he said his philosophy about mythology-building is to put the pedal all the way to the floor and never let off.

When you have a museum of DC characters and stories to run with, bar some copyrights, it seems sensible to burn through all the awesome ones each season and siphon off any fan favourites to a spin-off. But really, Arrow has done it really well, I like the first reveal fakeout that ended Roy punched Arrow paying off with the actual one towards the end, with ten minutes left.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Overall really enjoyed this episode, and once again holy poo poo the pace of this show.

But, that last part with Amanda Waller and the squad line? That was some Smallville level writing. You're better than that, Arrow.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

King of Solomon posted:

A monologue on the salmon ladder? :allears:

I wonder how many takes Stephen Amell has to do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whizbang posted:

Overall really enjoyed this episode, and once again holy poo poo the pace of this show.

But, that last part with Amanda Waller and the squad line? That was some Smallville level writing. You're better than that, Arrow.

I saw that as less hamfisted reference, and more she already knows what she's calling it.

You don't recruit people with the word Suicide though.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
Somehow I kept expecting Barrowman to show up and shoot Walter when they were talking about Thea's real father.

Also, I'm really hoping Waller and the Suicide Squad ends up being (one of) the crossover elements between Arrow and Flash. Like, one week she's in Arrow recruiting Deadshot or whoever, and then a couple of weeks later a million fans nerdgasm as she shows up at the end of an episode of Flash to talk to Captain Boomerang.

Smidge
Jul 15, 2009

Lady Galaga posted:

I wonder how many takes reps Stephen Amell has to do.
Fixed.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Normally I would not be sure how the hell a person partly responsible for earthquaking half the city could ever win the title of mayor, but I'm convinced that Moira will win despite the odds. Why? Because when Blood is revealed as a villain and eliminated from the running, Moira will win by default.

I'm a bit curious on how the campaign is going to work with Walter though. Moira is already implying that something needs to be done about her OBYGN, but isn't Walter a generally good guy? So I wonder how they will deal with that situation in a way that is both effective and satisfying to good-guy Walter.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But the thing about Starling is that there's such a massive upper-class vs lower-class disparity that it's actually conceivable there's an entire demographic of the city that wasn't affected by the earthquake at all which, lest we forget, only targeted the Glades...as in, the poor folks. And judging by Walter and his new friend, that demographic is -- lo and behold -- the exact sorts of people Moira might be courting...as in, the rich folks who stand to lose business if Sebastian Blood diverts all economic efforts to earthquake recovery. So if Blood has set himself up to represent the people of the Glades, Moira might be positioned to represent the...oh, say, 43.6% of Starling that didn't live there?

We are a country that literally went into shutdown because half the government didn't want to provide healthcare to people. This storyline is just very vaguely more cartoonish about it.

I do agree it's a little weird for Walter to be so...mercenary...about the situation though.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 30, 2014

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

MrFlibble posted:

No way the next episode ends without Roy figuring out Ollie is the Arrow though.

Called it. That episode was pretty baller, can't wait for the next one. And for the eventual Suicide squad, because that, like H.I.V.E, is probably going to be on the backburner until next season.

Possible big spoiler For those keeping track at home, the Moira running for mayor was in the same set of 'leaks' as Nightwing coming to the show

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
“Does this group have a name, like ‘Team Arrow’?”
“We don’t call ourselves that.”
“I do! Occasionally.”
“Stop.”

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Whizbang posted:

Knowing what Waller's capable of, the line gave me chills.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Super Dude posted:

The most extreme example of this ever on the CW (and its previous names) is Smallville. Holy poo poo, that show was so bad, got not very good ratings, but went on for a decade. The last couple seasons were alright, but it was pretty much a Justice League show at that point.

The most extreme example of that is 7th Heaven, which was all about making money selling the rebroadcasting right to Christian Networks.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MrFlibble posted:

Called it. That episode was pretty baller, can't wait for the next one. And for the eventual Suicide squad, because that, like H.I.V.E, is probably going to be on the backburner until next season.

Possible big spoiler For those keeping track at home, the Moira running for mayor was in the same set of 'leaks' as Nightwing coming to the show

:psyboom:

poo poo, gotta have ready a bodybag then, that's gonna kill me for sure :suspense:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How do you even have Nightwing without introducing Batman, even peripherally?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Phylodox posted:

How do you even have Nightwing without introducing Batman, even peripherally?

Have a universe where Batman probably exists, and only refer to him vaguely (if at all.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

King of Solomon posted:

Have a universe where Batman probably exists, and only refer to him vaguely (if at all.)

Yeah, while Nightwing is mostly associated to Batman he's a legitimate character on his own right. I'd dare to say than always keeping him related to Batman is harmful for Dick since restrict him.

Jason can also work on his own and even Tim, Damian's the only one who can't work without referencing Batman directly.

• Locked thread