Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

What's this? And I genuinely forgot about Earthbound, never played it either.

Are any of the final fights worth it, or should I stick with Double Dragon and Mystara?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Okay, Nintendo really needs to get some crossplay poo poo going. Like, loving hurry up, guys. I'd buy a Wii U if it meant I could chill and play 3DS/DS games on TV and vice versa.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This isn't a bad thing, people.

That depends on how they implement it.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Sarchasm posted:

The TV being the top screen and the gamepad being the touchscreen :v:?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Sarchasm posted:

Pricing wise I could hazard a $10-$15 based off of how they've priced their other consoles.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

They showed it as both screens together on the gamepad side by side like some emulators do it. Though with games like Sonic Rush that would be absolutely terrible. So maybe they'll have like options for how the screens are oriented.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

According to Iwata, they've figured out how to clear the technical hurdles for doing DS games on WiiU so they'll be adding DS titles sequentially.

Have they figured out the hurdles to me playing SNES games on my 3DS yet? At this rate there will be a homebrew emulator out before they support it officially.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Or both crammed onto the Gamepad, as some predict.

A good implementation will give you options for screen placement as well as providing the extra little bells and whistles that we've come to expect from decent emulators. But we don't know anything yet, so I'm reserving judgment.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

They showed it as both screens together on the gamepad side by side like some emulators do it. Though with games like Sonic Rush that would be absolutely terrible. So maybe they'll have like options for how the screens are oriented.

Are there any screenshots other than brain training? You hold the DS sideways for that so it might not be the best example.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
DS Virtual Console for Wii U is neat and all but they're not even up to parity with what systems were offered on the Wii yet, nor started releasing games from the previous "new" Virtual Console they announced.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

uPen posted:

Have they figured out the hurdles to me playing SNES games on my 3DS yet? At this rate there will be a homebrew emulator out before they support it officially.

This. And they've already done it, too, as that ambassador bonus.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

This. And they've already done it, too, as that ambassador bonus.

Those were GBA games. SNES hasn't been done at all on 3DS.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So with no Direct and no real news out of the investor meeting, PAL regions really are getting poo poo all this week. What a bummer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA's getting LTTP and Ninja Gaiden this week, among other things.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

One's for U and the other's for 3DS I'm assuming?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

About loving time.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ninja Gaiden is already on the 3DS so I assume U as well.

So no 3DS VC game this week I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Both for U. 3DS is getting Mario Bros.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Which Ninja Gaiden?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LOL the original Mario Bros? Not even 3? You've got to be loving kidding holy poo poo

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Which Ninja Gaiden?

The first one on the NES I presume.

MinibarMatchman posted:

LOL the original Mario Bros? Not even 3? You've got to be loving kidding holy poo poo

Yeah they sure love to try and toss that in people's faces, like with the Donkey Kong NES games its not nearly worth the $5 asking price and if you have an Ambassador 3DS you already have a far superior version in Yoshi's Island.

I'm betting they're going to do SMB3 on both 3DS and Wii U at the same time so that's when that'll happen.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Is there a universally declared "best" ninja gaiden?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

bushisms.txt posted:

Are any of the final fights worth it, or should I stick with Double Dragon and Mystara?

I loving love Final Fight. If you get one off the VC get 2 or 3. 1 while nostalgic as gently caress and the original is also notoriously quarter muncher level difficult and is missing Guy in character selection and the Relento fight the arcade version had. Not that that matters because no one should ever pick anyone except MAYOR OF EARF: Mike Haggar.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Disargeria posted:

Their handling of the VC so far has been horrible so I can't imagine this being that great.
Just give me loving Super Nintendo and GBA games on the 3DS drat it. I want to play Super Metroid mobile, not stuck to a TV. It's the most head-banging stupid feature that seems so obvious yet still hasn't happened. More people own a 3DS then WiiU, don't they? Then why aren't they pushing better legacy games to the 3DS?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

univbee posted:

Those were GBA games. SNES hasn't been done at all on 3DS.

poo poo, really? Wow.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bushisms.txt posted:

Is there a universally declared "best" ninja gaiden?

If you're strictly talking about the NES games then you can't go wrong with any of 'em. The third game is definitely the weakest due to Tecmo loving with the difficulty in really stupid ways for the international version, but they're all cool.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

bushisms.txt posted:

Quick, what's the best virtual console game that's not a platformer?
Urban Champion.

I wish they'd just put DS games up on the 3DS eShop rather than on the WiiU Virtual Console. :(

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We are angry because we are getting ds games on the wiiu? Man slow trickle aside I can't wait for ds castlevanias, Metroids, and Advance Wars. Now if they could get the prices decent and schedule out of the 90s this would be sweet.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't think anyone's angry, it's just odd to put them on the WiiU instead of offering them on the 3DS. I know we can play DS games on the 3DS anyway, but some games are rare/hard to find, and in general having access to a digital DS library would be cool. At the same time, as people have mentioned in the WiiU thread, they announced before the console launched that there would be N64 and GBA games available, but there's no sign of either. It's a little frustrating having them announce stuff, then not really follow through.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 30):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Wii Fit U - €34.99 / £29.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    Super Indie Connection Sale (Wii U eShop) - buy/own any one of the following games, get the others for 60% off from January 30-February 13
  • BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - €4.79 / £3.99
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - €5.99 / £5.19
  • Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition - €3.99 / £3.59
  • Spin The Bottle: Bumpie's Party - €2.79 / £2.39
  • Toki Tori 2+ - €5.99 / £5.19
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until February 1
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U) - €35.99 / £29.99 until February 1

3DS eSHOP
    Brilliant Hamster - €9.99 / £9.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS) - €26.99 / £23.99 until February 1
    Fractured Soul (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until February 6
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.19 until February 6
    Dress To Play: Cute Witches (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until February 6
    Dress To Play: Magic Bubble (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until February 6

NA update (week of January 30):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Wii Fit U - $29.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until February 1
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U) - $19.99 until February 3
    Super Indie Connection Sale (Wii U eShop) - buy/own any one of the following games, get the others for 60% off from January 30-February 13
  • BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - $5.99
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - $5.99
  • Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition - $3.99
  • Spin The Bottle: Bumpie's Party - $3.60
  • Toki Tori 2+ - $5.99

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    ARC STYLE: Solitaire - $2.99
    Castle Clout 3D - $4.99
    Touch Battle Tank 3D 2 - $4.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario Bros. (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns (3DS) - $19.99 until January 31
    Hometown Story (3DS) - $29.99 until January 31
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS) - $29.99 until February 3
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS) - $19.99 until February 3
    Fractured Soul (3DS eShop) - $5.99 until February 6
    Ohno Odyssey (3DS eShop) - $3.99 until February 20
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    1080 Snowboarding (Wii VC) - 200 Coins, available until February 9
    F-Zero (Wii VC) - 200 Coins, available until February 9
    Game & Watch: Cement Factory (DSiWare) - 100 Coins, available until February 9
    Spin Six (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until February 9

No Ninja Gaiden this week... the NOA website jumped the gun, it seems. Whatever, go play Zelda.

All the games in the Wii U indie promotion are worth checking out; hopefully it pays off for 'em.

The Wii Fit U almost-free promotion ends in a day or so, for those who need a reminder.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 30, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

bushisms.txt posted:

Quick, what's the best virtual console game that's not a platformer?

River City Ransom. Side-scrolling beat 'em up with great animation and physics and RPG-style stat leveling by eating food. One of the best NES games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh yeah, I probably don't need to mention it, but, PAL 3DS dudes: be sure to register/link a NNID to your 3DS before the end of the month - if you do, you'll get a free download code for Super Mario Bros. Deluxe in a few weeks.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
If you have a (NA, don't know about the other regions) 3DS, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition is being sold for free. After four days, it will disappear again.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Don't know if it was posted a couple weeks ago or what, but there's a "sale" on some WB games (but there's no sale indicator in the shop, so it might be a price drop):

Arkham Origins - $39.99
Scribblenauts Unmasked - $39.99
Scribblenauts Unlimited - $19.99
Injustice - $39.99
Lego Batman 2 -$19.99

Plus some Hot Wheels game that looks like garbage.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jazama posted:

If you have a (NA, don't know about the other regions) 3DS, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition is being sold for free. After four days, it will disappear again.

Hell yeah, gotta buy this on my OG 3DS so I have it on my DSi, 3DS, and XL for multiplayer goodness. Thanks for the heads up. Now where the gently caress did I put my 3DS...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jazama posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers#4swords

"4 Swords, 4 Free, 4 Days Only"
Four Swords Anniversary Edition for free. This is sweet.

EDIT: I am dumb and did not see that I was a couple posts late.

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 30, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jazama posted:

Yeah the Nintendo twitter just tweet about it just now. It will be available until 2/2.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dumb question, but this is the same version that people were able to get ahold of a few years ago (on 3DS's eshop), right?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

How does 4 swords work on the 3ds exactly? From what I remembered it was a gamecube game that required each player to have a GBA and was multiplayer only?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mcpringles posted:

How does 4 swords work on the 3ds exactly? From what I remembered it was a gamecube game that required each player to have a GBA and was multiplayer only?

You can play it single player where you control all 4 links in a formation. It's not as fun as the multiplayer but it's basically impossible to play it with other people nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Dumb question, but this is the same version that people were able to get ahold of a few years ago (on 3DS's eshop), right?

The same.

mcpringles posted:

Its a DSi ware version of the four swords game that was in the Lttp Port on GBA. The one you're thinking of is Four Swords Adventures.