Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Folks asking me to define worth: Can't farm it, it's nearly inhospitable, and it's really hard to get to. It's like buying the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Folks asking me to define worth: Can't farm it, it's nearly inhospitable, and it's really hard to get to. It's like buying the moon.

Laying claim to mineral or hydrocarbon reserves is useful, and it gives the US significant claims to arctic territory. Considering how the arctic has been warming and become more open to shipping, this is pretty darn useful. It is a long term investment for sure, but it absolutely has worth.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

And I'm pretty sure it was strategically useful in the Cold War, too.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
When Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border.

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

I have a bad feeling about this...

made of bees posted:

Wasn't part of the reasoning just to not have the Russians so close to the parts we care about?

According to Wikipedia, many Americans thought it would be a stepping-stone to annexing British Columbia.

Wikipedia posted:

American public opinion was not universally positive; to some the purchase was known as Seward's Folly. Nonetheless, most editors argued that the U.S. would probably derive great economic benefits from the purchase; friendship of Russia was important; and it would facilitate the acquisition of British Columbia.[7] Forty-five percent of newspapers endorsing the purchase cited the increased potential for annexing British Columbia in their support.[4]

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

And I'm pretty sure it was strategically useful in the Cold War, too.

It was strategically useful in WWII. A lot of lend-lease gear was sent through Alaska and then Siberia to the USSR from the USA. There's sadly not an accompanying map but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_convoys_of_World_War_II

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Peanut President posted:

America paid only $116 million in 2012 dollars for billions of dollars in natural resources as well as the strategic value of shifting its borders with Russia.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

chairface posted:

It was strategically useful in WWII. A lot of lend-lease gear was sent through Alaska and then Siberia to the USSR from the USA. There's sadly not an accompanying map but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_convoys_of_World_War_II

IIRC Soviet-flagged ships would carry lend-lease cargo from Alaska to Vladivostok, right through the heart of the Japanese Empire and the IJN wouldn't touch them over fear of drawing the Soviets into the conflict.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Unironically we should start thinking about how to split up the moon and asteroids soonish.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC Soviet-flagged ships would carry lend-lease cargo from Alaska to Vladivostok, right through the heart of the Japanese Empire and the IJN wouldn't touch them over fear of drawing the Soviets into the conflict.

Wouldn't we have had the same advantage there regardless or whether the Russians or British had ended up with Alaska? It's not like the Japanese were going to buy it if we passed after all.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

VitalSigns posted:

Wouldn't we have had the same advantage there regardless or whether the Russians or British had ended up with Alaska? It's not like the Japanese were going to buy it if we passed after all.

I doubt at the time of the purchase in the 1860's we were really taking the concerns of the wartime Imperial Japanese into considerations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

chairface posted:

A huge road was built to Alaska as well. I guess it included or connected to one in Canada, but I feel the entire thing was made at once. I saw a doc on it over a decade ago, it was interesting to see how the army built a highway through mountainous terrain at such an absurd and consistent pace.

The US at the time was concerned of a Japanese attack on Alaska, and wanted to be able to defend it via ground as well.

Lawman 0 posted:

Unironically we should start thinking about how to split up the moon and asteroids soonish.

Yes. Since nations have stated plans to build at least semi-permanent bases on the moon, we should likely start thinking about this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lawman 0 posted:

Even if we get bases up and running it's still not going to be any easier to do moon stuff than Antarctic stuff and that continent is still considered neutral ground.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

computer parts posted:

Even if we get bases up and running it's still not going to be any easier to do moon stuff than Antarctic stuff and that continent is still considered neutral ground.

Yeah I was going to bring this up too. There is a continent worth of stuff, including a gently caress-ton of water, that nobody is exploiting. This is fine for now, but in 50 or 100 years when other resources have been depleted, well, I pristine Antarctica will be the new frontier.

This was featured in the Red Mars series of books. The same Trans-National corporations that were taking over Mars and Space were mining Antarctica because nobody felt like defending the treaties. Neat stuff.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There's supposedly giant reserves of coal and other petrolchemicals under the ice sheet as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Count Roland posted:

Yeah I was going to bring this up too. There is a continent worth of stuff, including a gently caress-ton of water, that nobody is exploiting. This is fine for now, but in 50 or 100 years when other resources have been depleted, well, I pristine Antarctica will be the new frontier.

This was featured in the Red Mars series of books. The same Trans-National corporations that were taking over Mars and Space were mining Antarctica because nobody felt like defending the treaties. Neat stuff.

It was also because the colonists started terraforming Mars, making the poorer nations left behind on Earth think: "Wait, why must Antarctica be left in a pristine state why they are messing with a WHOLE PLANET?"

A map relevant for all discussions about mining in Antarctica, namely the parts of Antarctica above sea level (in danger of shrinking even more because of sea level rise):

Of course if you are content to wait a few thousand years then glacial rebound will counteract rising sea levels.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I love Antarctica maps because the place looks like some crazy fantasy continent you'd find in D&D or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

Of course if you are content to wait a few thousand years then glacial rebound will counteract rising sea levels.
Rebound happens in two stages though, doesn't it? An "immediate" one that lifts a significant portion rather rapidly, and then a slower one as the mantle smooths out the depression left by the ice over some tens of thousands of years. (Which is also front loaded) Other than that, the gravitational effect of the ice sheet itself causes sea levels around Antarctica to be much higher than if it were not there, and IIRC the sea level would drop about 100 meters in the immediate vicinity despite the average sea level rise the melting ice would contribute.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Patter Song posted:

At the time, no. It was something closer to "If we don't buy it, the British will."

I think it's better to say that that's the reason the Russians were so happy to sell: "If we don't sell this to somebody, Britain will just take it."

This of course being during the height of tension over The Great Game in Central Eurasia, which people expected to produce a war sooner or later.

Peanut President posted:

Others have said it, but it turned out to be just jammed up with gold and oil. And while we only know that in retrospect, there was also contemporary speculation about how valuable it might be for sealing (and presumably whaling?). Plus it fits the whole Manifest Destiny theme which I think Seward was pretty big on.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Isn't the landmass of Antarctica being compressed by the ice on top of it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Probably yes, though the effect of that would depend on it's exact geology. Certainly northern Canada has been rebounding upwards since the glaciers receded. Up to 2 cm per year in some areas.

I imagine the same is happening throughout the northern hemisphere, but I'm a busy man so I haven't checked yet.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Star Man posted:

Isn't the landmass of Antarctica being compressed by the ice on top of it?

PittTheElder posted:

Probably yes, though the effect of that would depend on it's exact geology. Certainly northern Canada has been rebounding upwards since the glaciers receded. Up to 2 cm per year in some areas.

I imagine the same is happening throughout the northern hemisphere, but I'm a busy man so I haven't checked yet.
Torranor mentioned glacial rebound in his post, and I followed up on it.

Anyway, given normal rock and ice density, total rebound should be roughly around 1/3 of ice thickness.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

How the hell does one even measure something like that?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thump! posted:

Lasers and satellites :science:

i don't really have any idea

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thump! posted:

You know what the continent is made out of and you know what happens when ice does similar things to that type of rock mixture.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Thump! posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_Recovery_and_Climate_Experiment
Here, have an eagle nice map program:
http://eyes.jpl.nasa.gov/earth/index.html

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 30, 2014

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Microwaves and satellites? Close enough :smug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Thump! posted:

Additionally, use long term static GPS observations. This is also the method used to track continental drift.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The flip side of glacial rebound, of course, is that the areas south of the rebounding areas actually dip. This is why London and southern England are at an even greater risk of flooding in a +2°C world than other areas of equal altitude (because Scotland is rising while England is sinking)

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Thump! posted:

Well, you can calculate the general amount of glacial rebound by knowing how the mantle reacts to the overlying crust being pushed down on it. It's solid, but over long periods of time the mantle acts more like a hot marshmallow. Squeeze down on it and it flows away, take the weight off and it flows back. If you know the volume of mantle being pushed away by the weight of the overlying ice, you can estimate how much the ocrust will rise once the mantle starts flowing back..

You can also simply measure how quickly land is rising above sea level. It's quick enough that the effects are noticeable in surveys taken decades apart. You end up seeing stuff like this and this. And if you don't want to wait around, well, stuff like GPS monitoring and InSAR will show you what's up relatively quickly.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Did you notice that map of Ukrainian political preferences splits very much exactly where Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth border with Russian and Ottoman empires was 500 years ago?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pyromancer posted:

Did you notice that map of Ukrainian political preferences splits very much exactly where Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth border with Russian and Ottoman empires was 500 years ago?

Yeah, this should be no surprise. In Belgium they don't even bother with pan-Belgian parties any more and just have different parties for the two language groups. There was never a unified Yugoslavian people no matter how hard others tried, and it dissolved along lines that are hundreds of years old. And it is striking how little support the Tories have outside of England.

And even though the USA is much younger, you can still see the legacy of the civil war, with most of the CSA in the hands of Republicans, and New England with the Democrats.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Torrannor posted:

And it is striking how little support the Tories have outside of England.
Yup, even Cornwall, which has been de facto part of England for over a millennium (although the de jure status is debated by Cornish national groups), has a lot less Tory support than the 'heart of England' counties.

quote:

And even though the USA is much younger, you can still see the legacy of the civil war, with most of the CSA in the hands of Republicans, and New England with the Democrats.
This one is interesting in that it did a complete 180 with the Repubs Southern Strategy of direct appeal to Southernracist valuesracism. If you look at the elections of the 1920s especially, you'll see the exact inverse, with Democrats getting support from the Solid South right up until the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

And it is striking how little support the Tories have outside of England.

They used to have a fair amount of support in Scotland a few decades ago. The one-two whammy of Thatcher using the place as a testing ground (culminating in the poll tax) and just Thatcherism in general destroyed all that.

Guavanaut posted:

Yup, even Cornwall, which has been de facto part of England for over a millennium (although the de jure status is debated by Cornish national groups), has a lot less Tory support than the 'heart of England' counties.

1/2 of Cornwall's MPs are Tory, I think you're overestimating how not-popular they are (once you exclude some of the weird side effects of FPTP, very few parts of the UK that aren't stockbroker belts of the home counties are actually solid blue Tory.)

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 30, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

In Belgium they don't even bother with pan-Belgian parties any more and just have different parties for the two language groups.

It's true, literally every party with seats in the Belgian federal parliament is tied to a specific linguistic community. Even Northern Ireland has the Alliance Party. Here's how the UK general election played out in Northern Ireland in 2010, before steinrokkan accuses me of self-obsessed circle jerking:

Sinn Féin and SDLP are Irish-republican, DUP and UUP are unionist. In the 1920's, two of the six Northern Irish counties already had a Catholic majority; now it's four, even though Protestants of various denominations still form at least a plurality overall:

Green is Catholic, orange is Protestant, the percentage refers to the difference between their respective shares of the population in a given district. I always thought the unionists would have been wiser to give up part of their territory a century ago, it looks like they're going to lose their majority in the coming decades.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The British government even floated repartition of Ireland giving the South Fermanagh, Tyrone, and most of Derry. The IRA bombing of the Conservative Party Conference in Brighton effectively killed any chance of that happening even though there was little chance of it in the first place.

In the 90s, the Ulster Defence Association resurrected the idea with a view of ethnically cleansing the rest of the Catholic population. It was well received by the unionist population, including several later DUP ministers.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Torrannor posted:

Republicans and Democrats are a hell of a lot more complicated than you think. Mitt Romney (Republican nominee for president in 2012) was from Massachusetts, as an example.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Peanut President posted:

Republicans and Democrats are a hell of a lot more complicated than you think. Mitt Romney (Republican nominee for president in 2012) was from Massachusetts, as an example.

Huh? I don't follow. Of course you cannot compare the political situation in the USA to states where the different communities don't even speak the same language. It was just an observation that political divides are often influenced by history.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THis is what really bugs me about the latest Europa Universalis, you can totally assimilate a vast region into your country making them 100% your culture and a core part of your nation within a few years. Yet historically even the most brutal methods over centuries can still fail to stamp out ethnic nationalism/regionalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baronjutter posted:

THis is what really bugs me about the latest Europa Universalis, you can totally assimilate a vast region into your country making them 100% your culture and a core part of your nation within a few years. Yet historically even the most brutal methods over centuries can still fail to stamp out ethnic nationalism/regionalism.

What you're talking about is more represented in the "Core" system where countries will have claims on provinces (even countries that don't exist anymore!) for several years after they lose ownership of them.