Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just found the new Batwoman is partially told in double page spreads of Francis Manapul art and rushed to this thread screencappin'.

I was not familiar with Manapul before, but these pages alone have sold me.
Is he usually this solid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Bloody Holly posted:

I was not familiar with Manapul before, but these pages alone have sold me.
Is he usually this solid?

He's very much aping J H Williams style there but Manapul is always pretty solid.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is Manapul coloring his own work?, because that's honestly the best part.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

He's very much aping J H Williams style there but Manapul is always pretty solid.

Yeah. There's plenty of his Flash run posted here.

Flash #15, a 9-page spread.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 23, 2014

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
drat. I always love what I see of his work. I haven't followed DC for a long while though, and I'm not really interested in picking them up now either. Does he have any non-DC stuff that anyone would recommend?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Has Bernie Wrightson been mentioned in this thread yet? I'd forgotten how much I loved his work until I stumbled on some of it recently.

Just gonna post this link because it's all great, especially the black and white stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ber...iw=1067&bih=555

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Has Bernie Wrightson been mentioned in this thread yet? I'd forgotten how much I loved his work until I stumbled on some of it recently.

Just gonna post this link because it's all great, especially the black and white stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ber...iw=1067&bih=555

Wrightson's illustrated Frankenstein is one of the great triumphs of the medium in the 20th century.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just found the new Batwoman is partially told in double page spreads of Francis Manapul art and rushed to this thread screencappin'.

It's nice to see the book still getting nice art given the whole dust up that happen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Witchfinder General posted:

Drawing awesome cosmos should be a requirement for all comic book artists.

These are all rad as gently caress

That new batwoman stuff is great too.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 24, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wrightson's illustrated Frankenstein is one of the great triumphs of the medium in the 20th century.

That's goddamned incredible.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Dark Horse put out a gorgeous hardcover collection (same size/binding as the Hellboy "library" collections) of the Wrightson Frankenstein a few years back. It's still quite affordable. There's pretty much no excuse for NOT owning it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wasn't exaggerating before, I really think it's one of the finest pieces of graphic storytelling ever. It takes the best of the '70s wave of Creepy/Eerie magazine style and combines it with a sensibility similar to Max Ernst's "A Week of Kindness." I can't imagine one image summing up "the Gothic novel" like this one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I loved Swamp Thing.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Really wish him and Buccellato had been put on that instead of Detective. I'm sure TEC will do better numbers but it's still just another goddamn Batman book and not even the primary one.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Fallen Rib

Dick Trauma posted:

I loved Swamp Thing.

The writing for Swamp Thing has become quite badly dated, but the artwork remains top notch.

Wrightson also did the artwork for Batman: Cult and it is really really workth checking out (for story and art)

Madkal fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 25, 2014

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can't stop looking at this.

It looks like rough inkwork at first and then you realize just how loving well done every single texture is. Everything pops out perfectly, most significantly the two figures, who read perfectly cleanly despite all the noise and detail surrounding them. Hell, its not even really "noise", since most of the details are pretty simple and yet... man I don't even know.

Like a lot of this stuff in this thread is gorgeous, but this just makes me gape. There's just black and white and yet there's so much more "color" in it than I could ever loving put together. gently caress.

e: Like I just came from the political cartooning thread so maybe that has something to do with it but I really can't get over just how loving well the two figures stand out from everything. People using actual 1 inch thick black borders do less of a good job than this.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 25, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, I really really need to get around to getting this soon. Frankenstein is well...special to me. And the amount of love put into this shows that he's most definitely special to Wrightson.

Also, it keeps bugging me that that two page spread is scanned incorrectly. Clearly they just laid the hardcover on the scanner and worked from there, and there's about a centimeter missing from the middle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There are people who think Bernie Wrightson is incredible, and there are people who are blind. Anyone who is not in one of those two categories can be safely ignored when it comes to art.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So, has Wrightson ever done a version of Pit & The Pendulum? Because I was just watching the Full Moon/Stuart Gordon 1991 film and he's listed in the special thanks of the end credits...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

So, has Wrightson ever done a version of Pit & The Pendulum? Because I was just watching the Full Moon/Stuart Gordon 1991 film and he's listed in the special thanks of the end credits...

Hm... the Creepy and Eerie magazine guys definitely did their fair share of Poe adaptations, but I don't specifically recall a Wrightson Pit & The Pendulum. Maybe Gordon brought him on as a consultant or something, or he was just overall inspired by his gothic art style.

Either way, if you want some horror comics with fantastic art, these two collections are loving great.

edit: well what do ya know, I googled around and found this unbelievably dope unpublished Edgar Allan Poe portfolio by Bernie Wrightson, including some illustrations for The Pit & The Pendulum.

gently caress, that rules.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 25, 2014

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

edit: well what do ya know, I googled around and found this unbelievably dope unpublished Edgar Allan Poe portfolio by Bernie Wrightson, including some illustrations for The Pit & The Pendulum.

Good find. Thanks for the link, I've never seen any of those. Wrightson's stuff on Frankenstein is amazing. I might have to pick up that hardcover. Someone mentioned it was similar to the over-sized Hellboy collections, and those are top-notch.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Pretty Deadly is a really gorgeous book and Emma Rios is crazy talented. Also helps that Jordie Bellaire really knows how to bring her work out too. So a slighty NSFW scene from Pretty Deadly #4

And a piece from issue #3

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Jordie Bellaire makes every Wednesday loving Christmas.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I appreciate the black and white Wrightson stuff more than his paintings, even though those are still pretty great. When his stuff is colored, it seems to lose something, but a lot of that may have been due to the limitations of the medium at the time. I guess I'm just most taken by his line work, use of light and shadow and especially the directional cross hatching he uses that adds texture and dimension to the things he's drawing that you normally don't see in comics.

Most comic artists tend to put hard lines around everything and then cross hatch the shading in patterned ways that tend to flatten the art and rob of its three dimensionality. What Wrightson is doing reminds me a lot of etchings and the sort of...I don't know what to call it..."linear shading" that you see on U.S. currency or something.

So much of what he's defining in these drawings are done through clever use of contrast, like Rembrant. When he shows you a circle or a flask, there's no line around it that says "this is the shape of a flask".

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Speaking of Bellaire, I love this page by Garry Brown from The Massive #19. That face with the lattice pattern shadow across it is superb.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

This is the cover for the upcoming Superman / Wonder Woman #7, due in April. Although it's good work from a technical standpoint, it doesn't feel appropriate for a cover. It looks more like a panel from inside the book.

How does he smell?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

E the Shaggy posted:

How does he smell?
Terrible, based on Diana's expression.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

There are people who think Bernie Wrightson is incredible, and there are people who are blind. Anyone who is not in one of those two categories can be safely ignored when it comes to art.

Isn't Bernie pretty much blind himself these days?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

"Don't worry bro I'll stop that pendelum for yo- oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck"

But yeah this is the first comic artist where I would loving buy his poo poo in a heartbeat and frame it on my wall and not feel the slightest bit of nerd shame from it.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Well here's some european stuff

----Jeremiah---- from Hermann

:nws::nws: for sexy

These are old, like 80-90s.

You can see the style evolving through the years, I got more if you like

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

E the Shaggy posted:

How does he smell?
Awful.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hm... the Creepy and Eerie magazine guys definitely did their fair share of Poe adaptations, but I don't specifically recall a Wrightson Pit & The Pendulum. Maybe Gordon brought him on as a consultant or something, or he was just overall inspired by his gothic art style.

Either way, if you want some horror comics with fantastic art, these two collections are loving great.

The more I look at this the more I think, yeah that image almost definitely served for some art direction for the film. The shape of the pendulum, the back walls with spooky red drawings, the way the rats look, the one rat making a bad choice with where to start gnawing, all in line with the film.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Isn't Bernie pretty much blind himself these days?

What? No, he's mostly retired, but he did this for a benefit auction at HeroesCon 2013 when Steve Niles's house was destroyed by flood.

E: whoops, tables, sorry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

What? No, he's mostly retired, but he did this for a benefit auction at HeroesCon 2013 when Steve Niles's house was destroyed by flood.

I could have sworn he was losing his sight.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Dude's got three eyes, looks pretty good there :v:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

You've gotta be loving kidding me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You've gotta be loving kidding me.

It sold for $2200, and I'm not loving kidding you.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I think it was Gene Colan who was nearly blind when he did that Brubaker Captain America issue, before he passed away. Maybe you're thinking of him?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Glum posted:

I think it was Gene Colan who was nearly blind when he did that Brubaker Captain America issue, before he passed away. Maybe you're thinking of him?

Possibly. Could have sworn it was Bernie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm gonna go ahead and break a rule in this thread.

Am I wrong in thinking this doesn't look bad?