Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Wait a minute, is Mark Steyn that british sounding guy (who may, in fact, be british)? I think i've heard him a few times. He continually would make fun of Uyghrs for some reason...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Chantilly Say posted:

Remember, if we stop making it as awful as possible to be poor, those poors won't have any incentive to try to become not poor! We must punish the lowest among us for their lack of success, to teach them to feel bad about being poor. And we should start as early as possible.

Evil. Evil evil evil.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Gozinbulx posted:

Wait a minute, is Mark Steyn that british sounding guy (who may, in fact, be british)? I think i've heard him a few times. He continually would make fun of Uyghrs for some reason...?

Yeah, he went to school in the UK but is actually Canadian. I hate him which means he's pretty good at his job, but I think he actually hosts radio very poorly.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Chantilly Say posted:

Remember, if we stop making it as awful as possible to be poor, those poors won't have any incentive to try to become not poor! We must punish the lowest among us for their lack of success, to teach them to feel bad about being poor. And we should start as early as possible.

What the gently caress, please tell me there was massive retribution for this?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

What the gently caress, please tell me there was massive retribution for this?

Sounds like it pissed off everyone and the guy had to double down on it first and then issue an apology. I'm not sure if this is a case of teaching kids a lesson for being poor or a stupid, robotic bureaucrat not understanding human emotions.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Radish posted:

Sounds like it pissed off everyone and the guy had to double down on it first and then issue an apology. I'm not sure if this is a case of teaching kids a lesson for being poor or a stupid, robotic bureaucrat not understanding human emotions.

In other words, a Randroid?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

Buckley's Neo-Confederate shitrag National Review might be in a fight for its life, after a defamation lawsuit

quote:

Aside from its historic importance, the magazine continues to employ several gifted writers (among them Ramesh Ponnuru) who foster thoughtful discussion of policy and ideology on the Right. Its contribution to that conversation would be missed.

:laffo:

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Yeah, he went to school in the UK but is actually Canadian. I hate him which means he's pretty good at his job, but I think he actually hosts radio very poorly.

And half the banner space in his web page is taken up by this:

What a clown.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I thought Ramesh Ponruru was pretty thoughtful insofar as GOP hacks go. I heard him on On Point awhile back and he made a pretty rational case for Republican outreach and sounded really frustrated by the party and it's inability to make any progress on that front.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

Herman Cain is being inundated with callers bitching about Obama's plan for a wage increase. I assume this is across the board with all the other shows too. It's really baffling to hear so many people calling up to defend their right to work for poo poo pay.

What am I missing here?

I talked to a guy who totally agreed wages should go up but not to $15 because then people who didn't go to college would be making the same as him. That was his entire justification.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

THE GAYEST APPAREL posted:

I talked to a guy who totally agreed wages should go up but not to $15 because then people who didn't go to college would be making the same as him. That was his entire justification.

I think on the whole that'a valid point, but maybe not the way that guy meant it. Wages should be sliding up across the board but they aren't and have been stagnant for a long time. Given the cost of college these days I absolutely am on board with grads also making more money.

EDIT: I don't mean his statement that minimum wage shouldn't slide up that much was a valid point, but that he should have been making more money as well, just to be clear.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Fandyien posted:

I thought Ramesh Ponruru was pretty thoughtful insofar as GOP hacks go. I heard him on On Point awhile back and he made a pretty rational case for Republican outreach and sounded really frustrated by the party and it's inability to make any progress on that front.

I hear John Bolton on shows from time to time and the first twenty or thirty minutes the guy will make complete and utter sense. Sometimes I think maybe they have a different John Bolton that I am unfamiliar with. But then he'll say something like, in spite of everything he just said, we need to bomb/invade/coup because 'Murica.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Here's a couple more American right wingers revealing more of their true colors by coveting the anti-free-speech laws that condemn any kind of challenge to homophobic ignorance as some kind of pedophilic 'recruitment of children.'

Because they'd love nothing more than a catch 22 of demonizing gay people by associating them with pedophiles while also banning free speech for them to call them out as hatemongering fools on this idiotic conflation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcVOPCgfc0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjAHx5IErcw

In particular, this part by Kliengenschmitt is disturbing: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/29/gordon-klingenschmitt-russia-gay-law_n_4688502.html

quote:

"I think it should be illegal to recruit minors into homosexual sin," he said. He said that the media had misconstrued much of the implications of Russia's laws: "It's just that they don't want propaganda printed for their children, recruiting their kids into that sinful lifestyle."

He went on to note, "If you're recruiting children into sin, Jesus says you should have the death penalty."

It's a good thing that gay people don't 'recruit children' in the lewd way he suggests here then. Because it's pedophiles that sexually abuse children, and that has nothing to do with being gay or straight. The only kind of 'recruiting' that goes on is recruiting people to tolerate and accept a minority group like LGBT people - I guess in the book of nut-jobs like this guy, that alone is enough of a 'dangerous idea' to warrant death then.

Also, why did they kill Jesus again? Oh right - he was recruiting young people with his 'dangerous ideas.'

quote:

Matthew 19:14

14 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

Gee, sure sounds like he was 'recruiting children' to me. :allears:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 30, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

THE GAYEST APPAREL posted:

Because there's no one who went to a better college who makes less than he does obviously

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Chantilly Say posted:

How was the district spokesperson's response anything but "the nutrition director has been let go and we have issued apologies to the families affected by this."

Man, Utah, two steps forward and three steps back.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously Republican Christianity is so hilariously opposite to real Christianity it's absurd. I wish the Pope would spend more time just straight up calling these guys false to really get that poo poo hitting the fan.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 30, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How was the district spokesperson's response anything but "the nutrition director has been let go and we have issued apologies to the families affected by this."

Somehow I still let myself be surprised that we live in a country where "Kids need to eat lunch" can be made into a controversial statement. gently caress these administrators so loving hard.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Think of the great lesson that the kids learned from this: Authority figures are arbitrary, cruel and stupid, and you should never trust them.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Radish posted:

Seriously Republican Christianity is so hilariously opposite to real Christianity it's absurd. I wish the Pope would spend more time just straight up calling these guys false to really get that poo poo hitting the fan.

Yes because what we really need to solve these problems is more sectarian tension and violence. :rolleyes:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Spacedad posted:

Yes because what we really need to solve these problems is more sectarian tension and violence. :rolleyes:

It already happens to a great degree, and it's a good thing. I don't see why you think it's something to scoff at. Stop being weinery.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Herman Cain is being inundated with callers bitching about Obama's plan for a wage increase. I assume this is across the board with all the other shows too. It's really baffling to hear so many people calling up to defend their right to work for poo poo pay.

What am I missing here?

It's partly because the people with a vested interest keeping wages low have convinced the base that if wages increase, businesses will lay people off and struggling small businesses will go under. Either you get a job with poo poo pay or you get no job at all. It's the exact same rhetoric they use for the ACA. Meanwhile they don't consider (or don't care) that the logical conclusion to their argument is that it's ok for the status quo to revolve around jobs paying people a wage that isn't close to livable.

The other side of it is that people who are doing okay for themselves have no real comprehension of just how little $7.50 an hour is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Spacedad posted:

Maybe it would make some people think about what they believe instead of letting huckster preachers and politicians turn a religion about helping the poor and not judging others into a Randian death cult to keep the ultra rich in power. It's not like ignoring the problem or having what they see as left-wing media reporting on it is making it less of an issue.

Also I have no idea how calling out American right wingers as misrepresenting the Bible for personal gain is somehow going to create more tension than the current guys who literally call for the killing of their religious and political enemies. It probably wouldn't matter anyway but I highly doubt it would make it worse.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 30, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Think of the great lesson that the kids learned from this: Authority figures are arbitrary, cruel and stupid, and you should never trust them.

If this was the only thing they taught in school the country would be a substantially better place.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

MaxxBot posted:

It's a really sad fact but tons of people think that those who do low-level jobs like retail deserve to be paid a low wage as punishment for their lack of success. I think it has something to do with our society's unhealthy view that your salary is essentially your self-worth. If the guy flipping your burgers isn't making a pittance compared to you how are you going to feel superior to them?
Hell, I've talked to people who have been working retail for a couple years and complain that a new minimum wage would override all their tiny annual raises and the new people would suddenly be making the same amount as them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, well those .25 cent raises annualized to a whole $520 bucks pre-tax. Something like 3% raise if you're making minimum.

(note: raises at my employer averaged 1.8% this past year)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The step from "But now they make the same as me!!!" to "Oh wait now a new worker is worth X, which means I'm worth X+(whatever has kept your rear end employed and receiving raises)" is so small I have to think that's a testament to monumental stupidity or a front for being too timid to ask for a raise.

I brought up inflation since I had been hired at my last review as leverage, you'd be stupid not to if your pay isn't keeping pace.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

FMguru posted:

He famously went on Celebrity Jeopardy and immediately fell behind by a zillion dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2ySV7AfgM

He's a genuine moron.

I was expecting an SNL bit... wow.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

My Q-Face posted:

I was expecting an SNL bit... wow.

I believe you mean.... :wow:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

FMguru posted:

He famously went on Celebrity Jeopardy and immediately fell behind by a zillion dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2ySV7AfgM

He's a genuine moron.

So dumb... So Blitzer...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I hear John Bolton on shows from time to time and the first twenty or thirty minutes the guy will make complete and utter sense.

Citation needed. Because, seriously, gently caress John Bolton.

Tender Bender posted:

It's partly because the people with a vested interest keeping wages low have convinced the base that if wages increase, businesses will lay people off and struggling small businesses will go under. Either you get a job with poo poo pay or you get no job at all. It's the exact same rhetoric they use for the ACA. Meanwhile they don't consider (or don't care) that the logical conclusion to their argument is that it's ok for the status quo to revolve around jobs paying people a wage that isn't close to livable.

The other side of it is that people who are doing okay for themselves have no real comprehension of just how little $7.50 an hour is.

Fair enough, but during the segment of Cain's show I was listening to he said "I've done the math and raising the minimum wage to $10.10 won't lift those people out poverty." So he was tacitly admitting that the minimum wage is too low while not even realizing it and at the same time bitching about wanting to raise it.

edit: Who's been the first one of these shitheads to politicize what happened in Atlanta and North Carolina, blame it all on Obama while denouncing "global warming" and comparing it to Katrina? Because I know it's coming.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

BiggerBoat posted:

Citation needed. Because, seriously, gently caress John Bolton.

Once was on the Diane Rehm show, recently he was on a cable show and talking about Iran. Maybe a year ago. He'd say bombing/invading Iran would be disastrous and potentially a catalyst for setting off a nuclear threat. But gently caress it, we need to get in there anyway because them drat mulluhs...

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Cain's just upset that Obama's Ten-Ten minimum wage plan was clearly meant to one-up his Nine Ninety-Nine plan.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Once was on the Diane Rehm show, recently he was on a cable show and talking about Iran. Maybe a year ago. He'd say bombing/invading Iran would be disastrous and potentially a catalyst for setting off a nuclear threat. But gently caress it, we need to get in there anyway because them drat mulluhs...

John Bolton once said that Hosni Mubarak being overthrown in Egypt meant that we should immediately go to war with Iran. That guy's crazy as poo poo and shouldn't be listened to by anyone, ever.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Our UN ambassador during the Bush years...:allears:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Fair enough, but during the segment of Cain's show I was listening to he said "I've done the math and raising the minimum wage to $10.10 won't lift those people out poverty." So he was tacitly admitting that the minimum wage is too low while not even realizing it and at the same time bitching about wanting to raise it.

Yeah, again, it's the obamacare argument. "This doesn't do enough, it will only cost businesses more while doing nothing positive!" *doesn't propose any alternative, hopes you will eventually forget that poor people exist so this problem will go away*

And while 10.10 is still lovely, that's a nearly 50% raise! Even if it doesn't lift people out of poverty they seem to think such a huge increase won't impact a lot of people's lives?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The step from "But now they make the same as me!!!" to "Oh wait now a new worker is worth X, which means I'm worth X+(whatever has kept your rear end employed and receiving raises)" is so small I have to think that's a testament to monumental stupidity or a front for being too timid to ask for a raise.

I brought up inflation since I had been hired at my last review as leverage, you'd be stupid not to if your pay isn't keeping pace.

Maybe people just expect their bosses to gently caress them over any and every way they can. I half expect there'll be a grandfather clause in whatever bill gets passed so that all wages agreed before that date remain in effect. Good for job security!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So dumb... So Blitzer...

Much :wow:

Serious question though, who is CNNs target audience at this point?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

greazeball posted:

Maybe people just expect their bosses to gently caress them over any and every way they can.

Well yeah, that's generally the nature of working in America.

I guess it's just kind of offensive to think that someone who's so afraid of offending a job creator that they wouldn't even ask for a raise after a min wage hike is also tut tutting anyone with the balls to fight for it via the law. No one else is your advocate in salary negotiation. Suck company dick all day if you have to but Jesus Christ get paid for it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Orange Devil posted:

Airports. It's a joke but it's also basically true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Orange Devil posted:

When Headline News started beating CNN proper, the execs figured that's what people wanted to watch. So CNN's target viewer now is the kind of person that watches Nancy Grace and spends the rest of the day YouTubing cat videos and tweeting about Justin Bieber.