Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't see why Nightwing can't just be another masked vigilante for the purposes of Arrow, and maybe just throw in a few references to Gotham City or Bruce Wayne for nerds. I mean, if they wanted to they could forget Gotham and Batman altogether, since Nightwing operates in Bludhaven and only shows up in Gotham to help out once in a while. Wouldn't really be necessary to explain his origins at all, he's another guy doing what Ollie's doing, just in a different city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Axel Serenity posted:

Goddamn, this episode. I say that every episode, but goddamn. I hope this means more Michael Jai White. Teaming with Deadshot.

With Harley banging poo poo with a giant Bozo Mallet.

I can totally see Captain Boomerang being a weaselly Australian spec ops dude like Island-Slade only obsessed with boomerangs. And he only gets called 'Captain Boomerang' as a joke by other Squadders. :allears:

Not sure how you would do Harley in the Arrow-Verse though, there's basically no good 'real' examples of the character (Mia Sara in Birds of Prey almost pulled it off, but then again that was BoP :stonk:)

I am kind of hoping that the reveal to Laurel that Sarah is alive somehow is the kick that can alter her character arc into being an actual good one. Have her somehow realize that Blood really is a big bad, she can't convince Ollie to help her, so Sarah comes along and gets killed maybe? Idunno.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

WarLocke posted:

Not sure how you would do Harley in the Arrow-Verse though, there's basically no good 'real' examples of the character (Mia Sara in Birds of Prey almost pulled it off, but then again that was BoP :stonk:)

Well, seeing as they revealed that there will be a Birds of Prey episode later on this season with the return of Huntress, it could happen...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Was this episode the first time we got the population of Starling City? (in the 600,000s) When they mentioned the death count (around 500 people) from the earthquake machine, I was shocked that it didn't kill more people.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Regarding potential upcoming guest characters and how it may tie into other things:

In the Man of Steel sequel, Batman and Robin have apparently split for some time. While I wouldn't suggest that there's a strong plan to tie Arrow and MoS2 together, yet, it makes sense for Berlanti and co to try and make the Arrow 'universe' compatible with what is going on with MoS2.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
Does it seem to anyone else that from the promo for next week that they're hinting that Nyssa and Sara were in a relationship?

Sara says "She's a powerful figure in the League and she took mom."
Quentin: "What, to get you to come back to the League?"
Sara: "To get me to come back to her."
Quentin: "Oh"

LOL

And the tagline in the promo says "Hell hath no fury like an assassin scorned."

Interesting choice of words . . .

Jax-Guy1 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 30, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The AV Club reviewer guy made the point that maybe Slade is behind Walter recruiting Moira as part of his "destroy everything Ollie loves" plan. Plus Krycek is involved, so there's no way this thing is on the up and up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

The AV Club reviewer guy made the point that maybe Slade is behind Walter recruiting Moira as part of his "destroy everything Ollie loves" plan. Plus Krycek is involved, so there's no way this thing is on the up and up.

Sticking Walter in the same situation as Moira? You either help me do evil things or I will kill your family?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Slade doesn't have to control Walter directly, just influence his bank.

I'm really hoping the Nightwing talk ends up being limited to just 'Dick Grayson' because I'm too big a fan of the character to want to see it hosed up like Huntress.

Never cared for Harley Quinn. I'd rather see Cheshire in Suicide Squad. Hell, I'd almost like to see Secret Six.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Sticking Walter in the same situation as Moira? You either help me do evil things or I will kill your family?

I'm assuming Krycek is Slade's proxy in this speculation, and that Walter isn't the wiser. I just don't think you cast Nicolas Lea for some throwaway one time role.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
I missed it last night, and I just got to watch it this morning.

..oh my god, I love this loving show so much.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm assuming Krycek is Slade's proxy in this speculation, and that Walter isn't the wiser. I just don't think you cast Nicolas Lea for some throwaway one time role.

You cast Nicolas Lea as someone who will turn on you and never die.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Just a thought about how they could have nightwing and mention Batman. Ollie and Nightwing meet in cold open. First shot post title is team arrow in the quiver debating who he is when he somersaults or something acrobatic in. He basically says something to the effect of "Wasn't hard to figure out. I mean, mysterious vigilante shows up right after rich playboy son returns to town after a number of years after a traumatic experience. He has the money to buy all the wonderful gadgets and really good cover. Worked with a guy like that for many years, so I knew where to look."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Exactly, they could've saved money by casting a big piece of posterboard that says SOMETHIN'S FISHY HERE on it in big marker letters.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

You might not want to watch Continuum, it will alter your world view.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

devoir posted:

You might not want to watch Continuum, it will alter your world view.

He still kidnapped Scully

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Is there a reason that Arrow couldn't just directly reference Batman? I doubt he'd every show up on the show, since it would overshadow Ollie, but is there a reason that Batman and Gotham City couldn't directly be mentioned? Is there a situation like with the Marvel properties that certain characters are owned by different companies and thus segregated, or are we just assuming that they wouldn't use Batman?

Really curious, because the show already has a lot of other characters tied with the Bats.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because Batman is a giant money printing machine for everyone involved and they are so loving careful with everything about it that there's no way they are going to take even the mildest risk of anything happening because of its association with a CW show. Entertainment execs have about as much respect for audiences as a normal person does for a baby and they are terrified that the viewing public will be so mystified that there is one version of Batman on TV and one version on the screen that they will be too busy wailing and tearing their hair out in confusion they won't be able to make it out to the theater.

From the Arrow side, they have said over and over again that they don't want to do anything to overshadow Ollie in his own show and the quickest way to do that would be to mention the B-word.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

imperialparadox posted:

Is there a reason that Arrow couldn't just directly reference Batman? I doubt he'd every show up on the show, since it would overshadow Ollie, but is there a reason that Batman and Gotham City couldn't directly be mentioned? Is there a situation like with the Marvel properties that certain characters are owned by different companies and thus segregated, or are we just assuming that they wouldn't use Batman?

Really curious, because the show already has a lot of other characters tied with the Bats.

No, WB own the rights in film for all their DC properties, but there's a history of the different divisions inside Warner having a pissing match about who can use certain characters.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

imperialparadox posted:

I'd say it's mainly to do with the fact that the way DC is handling Batman in live-action media is still a little up in the air given they're essentially rebooting Batman with MoS2. Arrow's producers don't want to do anything that may preclude being able to tie things together, should that possibility be pursued by the Warner/DC execs. Look at Man of Steel, there weren't huge references to Batman or Gotham and now with the sequel they're doing a new take on Batman. They could be treating Batman as an urban legend in MoS2 - having Arrow do things like "Yes, Felicity, I spent the summer with Bruce Wayne who is actually Batman in Gotham and we exchange notes on how to stand in the darkness" (exaggerated) would be ill-advised.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This site does comic book notations for each Arrow episode. If you're a dilettante like me who mostly knows about comic books from reading way too many Wikipedia articles on it, it's great to catch all the in-universe references you might have missed. Comic spoilers, obviously.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/features/126137-arrow-annotations-s02e12-tremors.html

Also apparently there's a three week hiatus after next week because of the loving goddamn olympics.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 30, 2014

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Phylodox posted:

How do you even have Nightwing without introducing Batman, even peripherally?

Has it been confirmed that he'll be Nightwing? I kind of figured he's just be Dick Grayson, maybe fight crime in his circus gear or something.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IIRC the Arrow writers mentioned that DC handed them a "very short list" of the characters they couldn't use. If I was a betting man I'd say that list was "Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman."

What's interesting is that these bans usually affect entire universes - so during Justice League the writers could use Batman but absolutely no one from his rogue gallery or anyone with ties to Gotham city.

As for Nightwing speculation, a bunch of writers have tried to give him his own space in the DCU. The most successful was Dixon's run back in the nineties.

Dick Grayson moved out to Bludhaven, a town that was basically a lovely suburb of Gotham (yeah, a place even worse than Gotham itself). It's another example of the comics industry utterly wasting a potential, as a flock of new editors and writers came into DC and wiped it all away.

Good news is that Arrow has already mentioned Bludhaven, so its already "in play" so to speak.

I'll wrap up the comics talk, but I do want to point out that the Arrow creative team clearly fell in love with the same late 90s - early 2000s run of comics in DC that I did. That's notable because so many of the elements Arrow has drawn from haven't been used in nearly a decade, thanks to the editorial shift in DC.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that something will have to be done to strip Roy of his Mirikuru powers.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This is a great show and I don't read comic books. Also, am I a sucker for shedding a few tears during few scenes this season? I know, I'm a crybaby and this show is kind of corny but somehow it just... works. :psyduck: Also loving the "one liners" and ridiculous dialogue at times. I laughed way too much at the dialogue where Oliver asks how Laurel is doing, Laurel tells him to stop and... He asks it again in a completely deadpan manner. I only realized what happened when Laurel was disdained about it. Yeah, I think I was tired but that made it perfect. (I can't remember which episode since I marathoned this season, pretty much).

Also, am I the only one surprised that Star...Starlington? City is supposed to have a population of 600 000 with that skyline. Then I saw the picture about Vancouver and the shooting locations and checked wikipedia. Oh. :aaa: - Though the metropolitan area is obviously more populous. (In retrospect I've been surprised at the population counts of many major cities over-represented in popular media - American media just has that much spread over the world - though Rust Belt and post-industrialization has a factor in it). - Wait, didn't the city used to have a more flourishing industrial sector? In fact Oliver's night club and... Wow. :aaaaa:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

E the Shaggy posted:

Has it been confirmed that he'll be Nightwing? I kind of figured he's just be Dick Grayson, maybe fight crime in his circus gear or something.

Characters like Dick Grayson are my whole problem, though; what's different about Nightwing, vs. Batman, vs. Green Arrow? I mean to say, they're such similar types: self-serious vigilantes from noir settings who are motivated by loss. It's really difficult to introduce characters like this without seriously convoluting them and muddling why they're special. Something like Flash works, because he's so tonally different from Arrow, but GA / NW / Batman are the exact same archetype.

The only coherent way I could see them using the character is to delineate some quality of Oliver's through direct comparison. They already did this with Huntress: she's a dark mirror of Ollie's vigilantism, motivated by revenge and spite (you may hate the way they did it, but that was their thematic goal.) The only interesting Nightwing plot I can think of, that wouldn't feel like a retread, would be for Nightwing to show up and be a better Arrow than the Arrow*. Which would be germane to Oliver's story, since he has to cope with this or rise to the challenge.

Otherwise, just adding the character because he's popular seems like a terrible idea.

*(Not literally in that he shoots arrows, but in that he's a noble vigilante who is maybe better trained and more effective.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xealot posted:

Characters like Dick Grayson are my whole problem, though; what's different about Nightwing, vs. Batman, vs. Green Arrow? I mean to say, they're such similar types: self-serious vigilantes from noir settings who are motivated by loss. It's really difficult to introduce characters like this without seriously convoluting them and muddling why they're special. Something like Flash works, because he's so tonally different from Arrow, but GA / NW / Batman are the exact same archetype.

The only coherent way I could see them using the character is to delineate some quality of Oliver's through direct comparison. They already did this with Huntress: she's a dark mirror of Ollie's vigilantism, motivated by revenge and spite (you may hate the way they did it, but that was their thematic goal.) The only interesting Nightwing plot I can think of, that wouldn't feel like a retread, would be for Nightwing to show up and be a better Arrow than the Arrow*. Which would be germane to Oliver's story, since he has to cope with this or rise to the challenge.

Otherwise, just adding the character because he's popular seems like a terrible idea.

*(Not literally in that he shoots arrows, but in that he's a noble vigilante who is maybe better trained and more effective.)

The show hasn't really missed a step when it brings in outside characters, so I wouldn't worry too hard.

Really what distinguishes GA and Batman is the have diametrically opposed political stances. Batman is essentially a fascist, while GA was like the first far left superhero. What I'm most interested to see is if they develop that part of the GA backstory into the comics.

Not really the thing I'm most interested to see is the introduction of Hal Jordan so they can turn the series into GA/GL adventures :getin:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

The show hasn't really missed a step when it brings in outside characters, so I wouldn't worry too hard.

Really what distinguishes GA and Batman is the have diametrically opposed political stances. Batman is essentially a fascist, while GA was like the first far left superhero. What I'm most interested to see is if they develop that part of the GA backstory into the comics.

Not really the thing I'm most interested to see is the introduction of Hal Jordan so they can turn the series into GA/GL adventures :getin:

I wonder if thats why Moria is running. She will win and then Ollie will go all leftist on her. If they have Hal they need to get Liam McIntyre, Dustin Clare, Dan Feuerriegel or Todd Lasance.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Man, he doesn't mince words does he?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stephen Amell I demand you stop endearing yourself to me this instant! A man can only become so endeared!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

SpannerX posted:

Well my respect for him just shot up and it was already pretty drat high based on the salmon ladder alone.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Soylentbits posted:

Well my respect for him just shot up and it was already pretty drat high based on the salmon ladder alone.

I'd vote for him. He'd make a good LPC candidate, especially with JT as leader.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Klungar posted:

Well, seeing as they revealed that there will be a Birds of Prey episode later on this season with the return of Huntress, it could happen...

Harley was never a part of the comics BoP, so if she were to appear, I have a feeling it would be strictly within the confines of the Suicide Squad.

SpannerX posted:

:allears:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

SpannerX posted:

I'd vote for him. He'd make a good LPC candidate, especially with JT as leader.

Dear god I would love him to join LPC too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Godammit Amell, you're already talented, gracious, charming and buff. Leave some good qualities for the rest of us! :argh:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Is Starling supposed to be a Boston analogue in the DC universe out of curiosity? One of the establishing shots last night was the Prudential Center and Boston and Moria mentions there are 600,000 people living there which is (about) the population of Boston.

Also, I think Katie Cassidy is a pretty good actress but her makeup people don't know what the gently caress to do with her.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is Starling supposed to be a Boston analogue in the DC universe out of curiosity? One of the establishing shots last night was the Prudential Center and Boston and Moria mentions there are 600,000 people living there which is (about) the population of Boston.

Also, I think Katie Cassidy is a pretty good actress but her makeup people don't know what the gently caress to do with her.

I was kind of interested to hear of the references this week to Clinton, Spitzer and Martha Stewart, as those are probably the most explicit ties to the real world that I've seen in the show so far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SpannerX posted:

Has Vancouver had a recent spike in police apprehending perps with puncture wounds in the extremities?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Has Vancouver had a recent spike in police apprehending perps with puncture wounds in the extremities?

If he travelled

Rob Ford, you have failed this city!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

If he travelled

Rob Ford, you have failed this city!

Hell,get him to Ottawa.

"Mike Duffy, you have failed this country?"