Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You can change the culture as well. I imagine it's done by exterminating the population and replacing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Video games: bringing out the inhuman monster in all of us.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Boiled Water posted:

You can change the culture as well. I imagine it's done by exterminating the population and replacing it.

Na just replacing the institutions and your-culturing the elites, if it was genocide then it would cost mil points like it does for natives.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

It's true, literally every party with seats in the Belgian federal parliament is tied to a specific linguistic community. Even Northern Ireland has the Alliance Party. Here's how the UK general election played out in Northern Ireland in 2010, before steinrokkan accuses me of self-obsessed circle jerking:

Sinn Féin and SDLP are Irish-republican, DUP and UUP are unionist. In the 1920's, two of the six Northern Irish counties already had a Catholic majority; now it's four, even though Protestants of various denominations still form at least a plurality overall:

Green is Catholic, orange is Protestant, the percentage refers to the difference between their respective shares of the population in a given district. I always thought the unionists would have been wiser to give up part of their territory a century ago, it looks like they're going to lose their majority in the coming decades.

The Alliance party are a hard one to pin down, they are multi-confessional and are one of the only parties that declare the "Other" alignment in the Assembly (parties can choose to declare either Unionist, Nationalist or Other) but a lot of Catholic's are still uncomfortable voting for them as they originate from the liberal wing of the UUP (the party that ruled Northern Ireland from partition until the dissolution of parliament in 1972). They whip with the Lib Dems in the house of commons and share a lot of the same ideas, they're Liberal (in the classical sense) economic policies are really not that appealing to a lot of people in Northern Ireland and they haven't really managed to expand out of their Belfast middle-class/student base. Here's a map of how they faired in the last assembly election, NI uses STV instead of FPTP so I think the Assembly elections give a better picture of political divisions across NI.

As you can see Alliance is kind of locked in the North East and hasn't really managed to make any in-roads West of the Bann, the river that's usually used to represent the divide between the Catholic dominated West and the Protestant dominated East. What's also worth noting on that map is the SF v SDLP votes, Sinn Fein are the more radical party and the SDLP are considered more concilatory (they agreed to a power-sharing government with the UUP back in 1973 that was scuppered by a strike planned by radical Unionists). Sinn Fein poll strongly in West Belfast and the sparsely populated rural western counties but have struggled to make inroads in Derry, NI's second city with a clear Catholic majority.

Here's a map showing Northern Irish elections from 1997 onwards, whats interesting is you can see the UUP (who signed the 1998 peace accord) getting wiped off the map after their Unionist base turned on them:

Re-partition was floated occasionally by the British government as a cure all solution to the Northern Irish issue but a fundamental problem is Belfast. The population in Belfast has always been relatively evenly split (edging towards slightly more Catholic in recent years) and sits smack dab in the middle of the Protestant dominated North-East, you could give the Western counties to Ireland but Belfast would remain an issue. Ideas were occasionally floated to divide the city and make half of it an Irish enclave but this is pretty impractical.

Have some maps of neighborhood level divisions by religious community in Belfast and Derry:

Belfast

Derry

And finally, I would caution against making any broad assumptions about people's political opinions based on their religion. The Northern Irish population is changing demographically and Catholics will soon out-number Protestants but the political impact is arguable, we've only really been able to collect statistics on political opinion openly since 1998 so the data isn't complete but what we do have can be surprising to some people:

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 30, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

Ideas were occasionally floated to divide the city and make half of it an Irish enclave but this is pretty impractical.
Countdown to a Belfast Airlift?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ookiimarukochan posted:

1/2 of Cornwall's MPs are Tory, I think you're overestimating how not-popular they are (once you exclude some of the weird side effects of FPTP, very few parts of the UK that aren't stockbroker belts of the home counties are actually solid blue Tory.)

Cornish people vote liberal, English people who have moved to Cornwall because it is so quaint and it is great to be able to raise Julian and Crispin in the countryside vote tory.

e: see also why Pembrokeshire has Tory MPs.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Pyromancer posted:

Did you notice that map of Ukrainian political preferences splits very much exactly where Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth border with Russian and Ottoman empires was 500 years ago?

I've been working on a paper about Ukraine and noticed this same thing. All the major cities in western and central Ukraine are much older as well. The major cities in eastern and southern were mostly founded during the reign of Catherine the Great. I don't think Lviv and Donetsk had ever been part of the same country until after World War II.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Map of how much snow it takes to close schools typically.

The source:
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/01/map-how-much-snow-it-typically-takes-to-cancel-school-in-the-us/283470/

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Baronjutter posted:

THis is what really bugs me about the latest Europa Universalis, you can totally assimilate a vast region into your country making them 100% your culture and a core part of your nation within a few years. Yet historically even the most brutal methods over centuries can still fail to stamp out ethnic nationalism/regionalism.

In EU4 making something a core is a political move that basically means you've consolidated your claim and these provinces are recognized as part of your realm. The culture of the people does not change.

You can core large swaths of territory at once, but only peacefully (via annexing a vassal or personal union) and after a certain number of years (10-50 depending on method).

Yes, you can also convert the culture of a province but it is done one at a time. First you need to convert the people to your religion, which can take up to 100 years (if at all). Then you can start cultural conversion which also takes time and resources based on the amount of cultural difference and strength of the local economy. But you can't do swaths at once.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

That's one thing that I find weird about America, why close schools when you have snow?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kamrat posted:

That's one thing that I find weird about America, why close schools when you have snow?

This happens in other countries too. I was working in a French high school a few years ago and the school closed literally every time there was any snow whatsoever on the roads.

e: Being from a rural part of northern Michigan I found this hilarious, of course.

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 30, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Torrannor posted:

Huh? I don't follow. Of course you cannot compare the political situation in the USA to states where the different communities don't even speak the same language. It was just an observation that political divides are often influenced by history.

They don't though. Republicans get elected out of states that are supposed to be left and vice versa.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kamrat posted:

Because you can't drive on it and it means there might be ice so you really can't drive on it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kamrat posted:

They close more often in rural areas where most kids have to travel a long distance to school but even in the city if you get more than a foot of snow right before school time it's really hard to get in via walking or the school bus. Schools have also closed this week in the upper midwest for the cold alone. When the weather is well below zero, -20 to -30 °C with a wind, it's pretty dangerous for kids to walk into school. I don't think most of central Europe ever gets that cold.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

computer parts posted:

Because you can't drive on it and it means there might be ice so you really can't drive on it.

You can, within reason. There are parts of the US that have snow for several months out of the year and have school most of that time. It's pretty much entirely a question of what sort of conditions the locals are used to driving in.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Or what conditions their cars are equipped for, and what conditions the town is equipped to deal with too. Icy weather conditions can be lethal, I don't really get why people laugh at it. Would you really rather risk a schoolbus full of kids crashing over closing school for a day?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's hosed that so many kids are having to be driven to school. The south also has some of the lowest rates of kids walking to school which could also factor into things.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

It's hosed that so many kids are having to be driven to school. The south also has some of the lowest rates of kids walking to school which could also factor into things.

Isn't the south less urbanized, though? There's a lot of places outside cities where schools aren't in walking distance.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Koramei posted:

Or what conditions their cars are equipped for, and what conditions the town is equipped to deal with too. Icy weather conditions can be lethal, I don't really get why people laugh at it. Would you really rather risk a schoolbus full of kids crashing over closing school for a day?

It's more of a question of how the town/county is equipped than how people are equipped. During high school I drove a 1986 Chevette and the last few years I lived in Michigan I drove a Miata, neither of which had snow tires or chains or anything like that and I did fine by being careful and going slow. That said, it's been 4 years since I've driven in the snow so I'd probably be as dangerous as a Floridian if I had to drive in the snow and ice these days.

Baronjutter posted:

That might be true in some places but Michigan shows a sort of inverse relationship as far as that goes. The southeast is the most urbanized part of the state but closes with less snow and the UP, with only 300,000 people, only closes in pretty extreme conditions.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Is there also a map that shows average closure days per year?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

Winter driving conditions really aren't so bad. If you just go slowly and don't depend on sudden manoeuvres, you'll be fine, even without extra stuff like winter tires or four wheel drive or what have you. The problem is that it happens so rarely that apparently people in the southern states lose their collective minds and mass panic on the roads.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Winter driving conditions really aren't so bad. If you just go slowly and don't depend on sudden manoeuvres, you'll be fine, even without extra stuff like winter tires or four wheel drive or what have you. The problem is that it happens so rarely that apparently people in the southern states lose their collective minds and mass panic on the roads.

It literally hasn't snowed in our lifetimes in most of the coastal green parts of California, if that's any indication of how unprepared the people would be. I never experienced a single snow day or snow closure in the entirety of my schooling K-12.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

JosefStalinator posted:

I never experienced a single snow day or snow closure in the entirety of my schooling K-12.

That's so dull. Snow was the best as a kid because you'd be watching the news at 6am going "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" as the school closing list cycled through hoping your school was cancelled. And then sometimes it would be, and you'd be all excited.(by which I mean you'd go back to sleep). Good times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm in Canada and never once had a school closure. Once we had enough to pretty much shut down the city but it was during winter holidays so no extra time off :(

Also Victoria is "the south" of Canada in terms of freaking out about snow. A dusting is enough to get a ton of locals to say it's too scary to drive, but I still never got a single "snow day" my entire life. Missin' out.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Peanut President posted:

They don't though. Republicans get elected out of states that are supposed to be left and vice versa.

Just because there are exceptions doesn't mean history has no influence. New England's tendency to vote Democratic is related to historical factors, although the situation is much more fluid than in other countries as not even 100 years ago New England tended to vote Republican.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

PittTheElder posted:

If you drive extremely slowly and carefully there's a pretty good chance you yourself won't wipe out, but you'll probably slip and slide a bit no matter how slowly you drive. If any when you start adding cars onto the road-tens of thousands at any given time in some metropolitan areas-it's practically guaranteed that several cars will slip and slide into one another, even if everyone drives safely. This can quickly escalate into a massive disaster depending on how bad the roads are and how busy they are-see last week in Indiana, where something like 40 cars and trucks crashed into one another after there was simply a minor collision on the interstate.

If you drive on a less busy road, the roads probably get the least attention from snow plows, so your odds of wiping out are much higher. Emergency vehicles and snow trucks are much slower to respond in poor conditions. And if you have a lightweight car or a car without four wheel drive, your odds of wiping out are much higher. And plenty of vehicles simply break down in the cold. If your area doesn't usually get snowfall, your community likely has far fewer slow plows and independent contractors to call on in a moment's notice to boot.

What we saw in the South yesterday is a culmination of all these problems. One of the main reasons we don't see similar incidents in northern states is because there's much more emphasis on telling people to stay off the roads hours or days ahead of time; many schools and workplaces will close early to ensure not everyone is on the road, and plowing the roads is treated with a military-esqe intensity. Chicago, for example, literally has a command center with real time road condition/snow plow updates.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

PittTheElder posted:

You're forgetting one thing: It's not just a matter of you driving safely, you have to trust that everyone else will, too.

And that never happens.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mu Cow posted:

Just because there are exceptions doesn't mean history has no influence. New England's tendency to vote Democratic is related to historical factors, although the situation is much more fluid than in other countries as not even 100 years ago New England tended to vote Republican.

New England is not the whole North. Right now there are traditional Democratic strongholds which have Republican state governments (eg, Michigan) and several Republican stronghold states which didn't even exist when the Civil War happened (the Inter-Mountain West).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'm in Canada and never once had a school closure. Once we had enough to pretty much shut down the city but it was during winter holidays so no extra time off :(

Also Victoria is "the south" of Canada in terms of freaking out about snow. A dusting is enough to get a ton of locals to say it's too scary to drive, but I still never got a single "snow day" my entire life. Missin' out.

Incidentally, I don't know that I've ever had a single snow day either. Have definitely missed a few for it being -40 outside though.

Emanuel Collective posted:

If you drive extremely slowly and carefully there's a pretty good chance you yourself won't wipe out, but you'll probably slip and slide a bit no matter how slowly you drive. If any when you start adding cars onto the road-tens of thousands at any given time in some metropolitan areas-it's practically guaranteed that several cars will slip and slide into one another, even if everyone drives safely. This can quickly escalate into a massive disaster depending on how bad the roads are and how busy they are-see last week in Indiana, where something like 40 cars and trucks crashed into one another after there was simply a minor collision on the interstate.

Well I'm just speaking from the experience of living in Canadian city. It snows here plenty, and while there are accidents, schools don't shut, and life goes on as normal. If a minor collision escalates into a 40 vehicle pileup, it's because you don't know how to drive in the snow (ie. leave some loving space between vehicles).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mu Cow posted:

I'm not sure this is truly relevant. What we're really talking about are attitudes that go much deeper than mere party affiliation. Often they overlap, but in the case of the Republicans/Democrats, it was the parties that changed, not the populace.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

computer parts posted:

New England is not the whole North. Right now there are traditional Democratic strongholds which have Republican state governments (eg, Michigan) and several Republican stronghold states which didn't even exist when the Civil War happened (the Inter-Mountain West).

Also, states in New England often elect Republican governors.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Peanut President posted:

Folks asking me to define worth: Can't farm it, it's nearly inhospitable, and it's really hard to get to. It's like buying the moon.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

Isn't the south less urbanized, though? There's a lot of places outside cities where schools aren't in walking distance.

I don't think any kids walk to school in my home district. Only one of the county's four schools is located in an actual neighborhood and it's on the northern edge of town.

Consolidation, from the 1950s on, has eliminated the majority of the south's neighborhood schools. County school systems are the norm and it's been encouraged to build bigger schools, both for increased opportunities and to cut down on the amount of decrepit buildings they have to replace. And the more rural you are, the more dirt roads exist and muddy dirt roads can be impossible to traverse.

I'm far enough south that snow was only a vague threat yesterday and never happened. Schools were canceled yesterday, which made sense as no one knew what exactly was going to happen and almost everyone decided yesterday to extend it a day. It reached 50 degrees here today, there were no reported power outages and the little bit of ice had melted by noon yesterday. It's completely ridiculous.

JosefStalinator posted:

It literally hasn't snowed in our lifetimes in most of the coastal green parts of California, if that's any indication of how unprepared the people would be. I never experienced a single snow day or snow closure in the entirety of my schooling K-12.

There was a Facebook group called "I wittnessed [sic] the snow in Southern Georgia on February 12, 2010." That's an indication of its rarity here. The last time before that was December 1989. It affected me so much that when I lived in north Georgia and it got its usual annual one day of snow, I was the only person running around with a camera.

That said, one day of snow screwed Athens up for three days.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I always heard that the places that close schools for any snow whatsoever generally don't have snowplows or the capacity to clear it off the roads. Having two inches of snow on the road is dangerous, in places where it snows regularly you don't actually drive in the snow, you wait for it to be plowed.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
My hometown in the south would let out school if there was a dusting in the morning or night. This was because the entire county shared a road salting machine and when it would snow that thing would have to salt all the hundreds of bridges in the county, and it did not do it's job quickly. "That's crazy, why didn't they have more salting machines?!" Because snow was so rare that we only got snow days maybe three times a decade. Years will go by without needing any cold weather equipment and then BAM, everything is impassable.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
In Ontario it's mainly rural schools that get closed. Most of them have all their students bussed in, and rural roads are the last to get plowed.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Well I'm just speaking from the experience of living in Canadian city. It snows here plenty, and while there are accidents, schools don't shut, and life goes on as normal. If a minor collision escalates into a 40 vehicle pileup, it's because you don't know how to drive in the snow (ie. leave some loving space between vehicles).

I know this has been hinted at, but I don't think anyone responding has really drove home the fact that because you live in Canada, your jurisdiction keeps the resources on hand to keep the roads clear and is prepared to do that all winter long.

The further south you go, however, the less of those resources are available to cities, towns, counties, etc. and all of a sudden a freak blizzard hits and you have a poo poo ton of roads that are AT BEST dangerous to drive on, and often literally unnavigable.

EDIT: Oh, there we go, what they said up there

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

oldswitcheroo posted:

My hometown in the south would let out school if there was a dusting in the morning or night. This was because the entire county shared a road salting machine and when it would snow that thing would have to salt all the hundreds of bridges in the county, and it did not do it's job quickly. "That's crazy, why didn't they have more salting machines?!" Because snow was so rare that we only got snow days maybe three times a decade. Years will go by without needing any cold weather equipment and then BAM, everything is impassable.

There are ways around this. In cold-weather areas, virtually every construction worker with a good pickup will spend a few grand on a plow and a set of snow tires, and hire themselves out to clear parking lots and driveways. It's a reliable source of income when the peak construction season is over, especially since most of it done on seasonal contracts, where the property owner pays a fixed price no matter how often it snows. The capital investment isn't that much, governments in the south could easily afford to give plows away in return for a contract saying that the owner will plow certain roads whenever there is snow and pay them a fixed rate for doing so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

I always heard that the places that close schools for any snow whatsoever generally don't have snowplows or the capacity to clear it off the roads. Having two inches of snow on the road is dangerous, in places where it snows regularly you don't actually drive in the snow, you wait for it to be plowed.

CaptBushido posted:

I know this has been hinted at, but I don't think anyone responding has really drove home the fact that because you live in Canada, your jurisdiction keeps the resources on hand to keep the roads clear and is prepared to do that all winter long.

The further south you go, however, the less of those resources are available to cities, towns, counties, etc. and all of a sudden a freak blizzard hits and you have a poo poo ton of roads that are AT BEST dangerous to drive on, and often literally unnavigable.

EDIT: Oh, there we go, what they said up there

Oh I know, we're prepared in that the city is (not always) prepared to deal with it. But are we really talking about 5cm of snow in places like Georgia? Or are we talking 0-1cm? Because while the former would be cause for concern, and I'm not trying to say people should just be rolling with blizzard conditions, but it certainly sounds like it's things like 1cm snowfalls overnight, which shouldn't be cause for concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Oh I know, we're prepared in that the city is (not always) prepared to deal with it. But are we really talking about 5cm of snow in places like Georgia? Or are we talking 0-1cm? Because while the former would be cause for concern, and I'm not trying to say people should just be rolling with blizzard conditions, but it certainly sounds like it's things like 1cm snowfalls overnight, which shouldn't be cause for concern.

I think the issue is that it's only after the fact that you can say "oh hey, we only got 1cm". Instead, it's like "we might get anywhere from 0 to 5cm, better safe than sorry".

But I'm just guessing, I live in New England where the issue is really the number of plows in a small town. If it's going to snow 12-18 in. over the course of a day, and you're a small town with lots of miles of roads, it's not easy to continually keep the roads safe. Driving will be perfectly safe an hour or two after the snow stops, but if it's actively snowing during commute time, that's when schools get canceled.