Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've been searching all day but have yet to find an answer to my question about my RAID controller. I bought an LSI 9212-4i card to manage my two 320GB WD Blue spindle drives in RAID-1 in my ESXi box, but when I look under Hardware Status there is nothing for the drive status. I can see under Configuration/Storage/Devices that I have an LSI Serial Attached SCSI Disk, but there is no indication of the condition of the drives.

I know that vCenter monitors RAIDs and alerts when they enter a degraded state, but for the life of me I have been unable to find anything online to indicate what I need to download from LSI in terms of drivers or accessories or how to go about enabling this feature.

Information about the drives is passed to ESXi via CIM. You need to download and install the LSI CIM modules. LSI calls this an SMI-S provider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

madsushi posted:

Information about the drives is passed to ESXi via CIM. You need to download and install the LSI CIM modules. LSI calls this an SMI-S provider.

I've already checked the LSI website and there is no SMI-S for the 9212-4i - just the MegaRAID Storage Manager for Linux(x64). I looked on the VMware HCL and checked out the 9260-4i on the LSI website, and it appears to have the SMI-S provider available for download, so it appears that even though the 9212-4i is on the HCL, it's not necessarily supported by the vendor.

Yet another case of buyer's remorse. There really should be a guide on what to look out for when picking equipment - had I known that I would have needed an SMI-S provider I would have been willing to pay more for a card that was on the HCL and had everything needed to do what I required. Oh well. I'll figure something out, but in the meantime it's not like I'll lose my life's work if a drive dies.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

There really should be a guide on what to look out for when picking equipment.
You're not alone by a long shot; I know a $megacorp that effectively did this and are now bitching about paying expensive datacentre techs to do floorwalks every morning looking for drive failures.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Why would a megacorp not buy servers from another megacorp that provides custom ESXi images?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why do megacorps do anything? $

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Erwin posted:

Why would a megacorp not buy servers from another megacorp that provides custom ESXi images?
Oh they use standard HP servers, they just decided to integrate a monitoring solution that couldn't interpret the CIM data to figure out if a disk was dead or not, but because some senior execs were keen on the monitoring product it was kept. It also had a neat thing of knowing that an HBA or NIC was failing, but couldn't tell you which one. They also wouldn't allow SNMP traps (too insecure apparently) and vCenter emailed alerts were considered bad because it didn't 'tightly integrate' with their 'standard monitoring solution'.

Perfectly standard megacorp behaviour.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

There are about 20 VM's total. There's a 4th machine for the cluster but it's powered off - instead of spreading the load across 4 nodes my boss thinks it's a better idea to leave the 4th one off until one of the other three fails. There's not quite enough capacity to run the whole environment on just two nodes (40GB each?) so I don't know what his thinking is.

Maybe I can use the powered-off host to start the migration with?

Pretty sure they are all DL360 G5's with Xeon E5240's. Old stuff. All the VM's are on one of two NetApps (equally as old).

We use Retrospect for backups, not anything that's actually backing up the VM's. The NetApps are SnapMirrored with a third NetApp that's offsite. All the hosts are Windows except maybe 2 which are appliances that run Linux, one from a wireless vendor and I forgot what the other is for.

If you're using an older you may want to stick to 5.0 U3 or 5.1 U2 I don't see G5 on the 5.5 support list

You could do that, if you have one powered of make sure you can upgrade it properly to 5.1U2 or other.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just checked and we are only licensed for 3 hosts. But I think I have enough VM's that I can shut down for a little bit to keep everything else running on just two hosts. (40MB, seriously?) Then again that probably doesn't matter since I'm going to do it on a Saturday anyway.

Looks like it's 4.0. Time to document all this hardware and download all the updates I can find, as well as the 5.0 or 5.1 ISO.

I don't see a VCenter appliance, just a VM named 'vc01' which seems to be a Windows install with the VSphere client.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'd go to 4.1 at the very least, 5.0 U2 peferably.

Good luck man!

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
ESXi 4.0/4.1 is moving out of general availability on May 21st, so I would HIGHLY recommend not building anything new on it. https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/support/Product-Lifecycle-Matrix.pdf No more security patches or bug fixes can put you in a bad way, especially if you to pass audits or comply with standards like PCI or SOX. https://www.vmware.com/support/policies/lifecycle.html And ESX(note no i here) 4.0 is 100% dead in May, they'll no longer offer any support for it at all. https://www.vmware.com/support/esx/?docType=kc&externalId=2039567_draft

Don't forget to check the highest supported EVC levels on all that mismatched hardware if you're building a cluster. And you can never mix and match AMD and Intel.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 28, 2014

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Echoing others, the absolute earliest I would bother installing is 4.1u3 unless your hardware really doesn't support it - we're about to move off of it onto 5.5.0b (complete rebuild, yay! but I don't any hands on with the intervening versions)

If your hardware doesn't support 5.5.0b then go with the last bugfixed version of 5 you do support before they went to the new SSO model, which given Dilber As gently caress is pushing 5.0u2, is probably that one.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Mausi posted:

(complete rebuild, yay! but I don't any hands on with the intervening versions)

VMware announced a VCP5-DCV test based on 5.5 last week, so that's less of an issue.
http://blogs.vmware.com/education/2014/01/new-vsphere-5-5-based-exam-for-vcp5-dcv-available.html

I'm imagining 5.5 is going to have a pretty rapid uptake from 5.0 and 5.1 shops. Overall, I find it WAY easier to keep VMware up to date than to move versions of Windows Server for instance.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

El_Matarife posted:

VMware announced a VCP5-DCV test based on 5.5 last week, so that's less of an issue.
http://blogs.vmware.com/education/2014/01/new-vsphere-5-5-based-exam-for-vcp5-dcv-available.html
Thanks, I hadn't seen this - maybe I can convince the bosses to give me some training budget to expand my VCP to something more marketable, which they probably won't as I'd then be more likely to go consulting again.
That said though, I recall the VCP being basically 50% marketing questions on Products I don't care about and 50% easy technical questions, so I might be able to just coast through these as well.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Mausi posted:

That said though, I recall the VCP being basically 50% marketing questions on Products I don't care about and 50% easy technical questions, so I might be able to just coast through these as well.

I wish I had that test, 4.0 had more marketing in it. 5.x dropped almost all of it 5.5 focuses a lot of attention on vSans(heavily), Ops management, the *new*, SSO, etc. It's pretty brutal.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The VCP doesn't have marketing type questions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:argh: My current vCenter is a Windows Server 2003 32-bit VM

Now I need to beg for money to buy a Windows 2008 64-bit license

Unless there's an easy way to import my current setup into the virtual appliance?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

:argh: My current vCenter is a Windows Server 2003 32-bit VM

Now I need to beg for money to buy a Windows 2008 64-bit license

Unless there's an easy way to import my current setup into the virtual appliance?

Why not export the inventory and use the VCSA?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

Why not export the inventory and use the VCSA?
If that will work I'll just do that.

I read a post on the VMware community where someone said it was complicated.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

The VCP doesn't have marketing type questions.

my 4.0 did

Bob Morales posted:

If that will work I'll just do that.

I read a post on the VMware community where someone said it was complicated.

Nope it's super easy, but you need to go with 5.0 or later, your vCenter can be 5.5 and hosts rest at 4.x and later

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 28, 2014

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Like what?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Like what?

Some poo poo about lab manager, View, vCloud; nothing terrible indepth but you had to know what they were and why you would use them

Sort of like "you have a company that wants to look into Virtualizing desktops? what product would they most likely want to look into"; I guess it could be considered product knowledge but the questions were erie similar to some of the stuff on the VSTP/VSP.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I've got a question that needs a solution.

We've currently got a bunch of hard boxes with USB modems hooked up to them for fax services. I would love to get rid of these machines and move it into our vm farm but I don't want to have usb modems plugged into specific vm hosts. Is there such a thing as a ethernet to modem 1u unit that I can put a bunch of phone lines into and then create some sort of virtual hardware to emulate a modem? Unfortunately these programs are so old that they require a modem of some sort installed on the server so a fax over ip service won't work.

Has anyone deployed any hardware to get rid of their modems? What would be the best way to do this?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Nitr0 posted:

I've got a question that needs a solution.

We've currently got a bunch of hard boxes with USB modems hooked up to them for fax services. I would love to get rid of these machines and move it into our vm farm but I don't want to have usb modems plugged into specific vm hosts. Is there such a thing as a ethernet to modem 1u unit that I can put a bunch of phone lines into and then create some sort of virtual hardware to emulate a modem? Unfortunately these programs are so old that they require a modem of some sort installed on the server so a fax over ip service won't work.

Has anyone deployed any hardware to get rid of their modems? What would be the best way to do this?

What you're looking for is a USB to IP dongle
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/St...CFcdQOgodPHMAqA

There are also these if you have a bunch and want a rack mount solution
http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Nope it's super easy, but you need to go with 5.0 or later, your vCenter can be 5.5 and hosts rest at 4.x and later

I want to point out even though VCSA 5.5 is WAY better, it still can't do Linked Mode (Necessary if you have >1 site or vCenter) and it won't do vSphere Update Manager which is the easiest and fastest way to upgrade your hosts. (Easy but more manually intensive to do with a CD going from box to box or something similar.)

If you can afford a new license and have the time to build it out right, I still recommend a Windows base, but if you're lacking in money and time, VCSA is the way to go.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

BnT posted:

Oh yeah, the reason I'm here; Does anyone know of a way to quickly find a list of VMs that have snapshots from vCenter? vSphere 4.1u2 if it matters.

RVTools from http://www.robware.net/ can do this and everything else.

Nitr0 posted:

Do yourself a favor and buy the Digi brand products if you're going to do this. They have the reputation as the only ones that are rock solid. I've only ever used it for licensing dongles, though, not something real time like a modem. Might want to start small and test or look for others' experiences.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

El_Matarife posted:

I want to point out even though VCSA 5.5 is WAY better, it still can't do Linked Mode (Necessary if you have >1 site or vCenter)

Ugh. We have two sites.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
You can still do it without Linked Mode, but you'll have two separate vCenters to login to when managing things, you will have to enter licenses separately on both sites and you can't do cold migrations without downloading and uploading a VMDK file. And I don't think you can get VMware Site Recovery Manager working at all, if you own that.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

El_Matarife posted:

I don't think you can get VMware Site Recovery Manager working at all, if you own that.
You can, we did. Not sure exactly how, as I didn't set it up, but it's possible.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

El_Matarife posted:

You can still do it without Linked Mode, but you'll have two separate vCenters to login to when managing things, you will have to enter licenses separately on both sites and you can't do cold migrations without downloading and uploading a VMDK file. And I don't think you can get VMware Site Recovery Manager working at all, if you own that.

I thought it was just you couldn't manage SRM through the web client?

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Some poo poo about lab manager, View, vCloud; nothing terrible indepth but you had to know what they were and why you would use them
Yeah this; I rolled my eyes at the VSA question because who would use that horrible ver1.0 poo poo anyway? I accept that it makes sense for a professional qualification to check that you are at least aware of the main product lines though.

adorai posted:

You can, we did. Not sure exactly how, as I didn't set it up, but it's possible.
Broadly generalising; we're doing automated vCenter installs (including SSO etc) as active-active across two datacentres by sticking the sso domain behind a load balancer and telling the monkeys to use the webclient for single-pane access, leaving the fat client for the people who do tricky stuff. Yeah I'll have to fat client into multiple boxes, but that's what Powershell is for.

I thought it was just you couldn't manage SRM through the web client?
And use other handy things like the NetApp VSC plugin - being halfway between two clients is really annoying; one of them is slow but has the new features, the other supports all the other crap but lacks SSO and new features. *sigh*

Mausi fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 29, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Any reason for/against installing vCenter 5.0u2 on Server 2008 instead of 2012? We're a mostly 2008 environment now, with a few lingering 03 boxes and no 12 boxes/CALs

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Well I thought it was going to be a slow day at work, but a different department is having issues with their ESX 4 cluster. One of the hosts just shows up disconnected. Network connectivity and all the normal troubleshooting seems fine, storage is fine, but I can't even login to the local console on the physical host to try to restart the management service or anything. It's just completely hung.

It's not really my problem as it's not my cluster, so the guy that manages is calling support. 2 out of the 3 VM's on it are running without issue. I have a feeling support is just going to tell him to shut those VM's down and reboot the host, but they just happen to be running 2 very high visibility critical apps they use and there is going to be a poo poo ton of questions about why and how this happened and what he's going to do to prevent it in the future. Like Spanish Inquisition level poo poo is going to go down. I feel bad for the guy. Maybe support can dig through the logs and figure out whats up. OOB management of the physical host shows no hardware issues either.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Any reason for/against installing vCenter 5.0u2 on Server 2008 instead of 2012? We're a mostly 2008 environment now, with a few lingering 03 boxes and no 12 boxes/CALs
Go right ahead.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bob Morales posted:

No issues, but all the stupid poo poo surrounding SSO on vCenter 5.0 makes it worth at least eight hours of your time to not have to do it more than once if you decide to upgrade later.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
You mean 5.1?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

5.0 because our DL360 G5's aren't on the list for 5.1

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
No not you 5.0 would be best, SSO is on 5.1 and up. Although your vCenter can be 5.1 or 5.5, while hosts are 5.0u2 or such.

Wild Bill
Oct 4, 2001
I'm looking to stand up a small virtual environment at home as a test bed for various operating systems/services/tools while I pursue some certifications. I need a separate host since I plan on playing around with Metasploit and eventually getting into a little malware analysis, web application hacking etc. I'm not set on any particular solution at the moment, but low cost, and the ability to snapshot/roll back or easily stand up a new copy of a VM would be super.

My options at the moment look like either buying a new i5 or i7 for home use, and putting a hypervisor on my old Pentium Q6600 quad core/6gb box, or buying an old server online with ~8 cores/16gb RAM. Something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-1950-Dual-Quad-Core-Xeon-Server-/151206565759?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item23349d177f

I don't need something blazing fast, reliable enough to run production data on, I just want something I can isolate away from my existing network, load up a bunch of OS(NT 4.0 through 2012 Server, XP through Windows 7, various *nix flavors, Backtrack, etc) and bang away on. I probably won't need more than 2-3 VMs active at one time (Attack Box, Target, ????), but the ability to keep more up at once might come in handy later.

I'm just trying to decide how much capacity I need for VMs, and then whether to replace my daily use machine, or buy an older server to use for hosting.

Any thoughts?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Wild Bill posted:

I'm looking to stand up a small virtual environment at home as a test bed for various operating systems/services/tools while I pursue some certifications. I need a separate host since I plan on playing around with Metasploit and eventually getting into a little malware analysis, web application hacking etc. I'm not set on any particular solution at the moment, but low cost, and the ability to snapshot/roll back or easily stand up a new copy of a VM would be super.

There's a home lab thread with a ton of good info on this topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Wild Bill posted:

My options at the moment look like either buying a new i5 or i7 for home use, and putting a hypervisor on my old Pentium Q6600 quad core/6gb box, or buying an old server online with ~8 cores/16gb RAM. Something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-1950-Dual-Quad-Core-Xeon-Server-/151206565759?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item23349d177f

I don't need something blazing fast, reliable enough to run production data on, I just want something I can isolate away from my existing network, load up a bunch of OS(NT 4.0 through 2012 Server, XP through Windows 7, various *nix flavors, Backtrack, etc) and bang away on. I probably won't need more than 2-3 VMs active at one time (Attack Box, Target, ????), but the ability to keep more up at once might come in handy later.

I'm just trying to decide how much capacity I need for VMs, and then whether to replace my daily use machine, or buy an older server to use for hosting.

Any thoughts?

Seconding the home lab thread.

And don't buy 1U gear for home. But if you do, a R300 is <$100.