Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Rannos22 posted:

The SWMH map is horrifyingly bad for a wide variety of reasons and its a drat shame CK2+ has it integrated.

Wasn't SWMH, it was Europa Divisae. And it was actually WORSE before they did work on it.

Listening to zeress, the only sane man left, it sounds like they're heavily considering going back to mainly vanilla map when Roi drops. At least I can hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I just vassalized the Pope (I win the game now, yay me), and the game popped up a warning about the title possibly passing out of my realm, probably because the Preferatus is currently a Pisan bishop. It won't, right? I'm on HCA, it shouldn't even be able to, but I don't know if the Papacy is different now.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

CapnAndy posted:

But right now I have 20,000 professional soldiers hanging around my capital. For free. It cost me a ton of cash to gear them up and train 'em, sure, but now I've got them and I can just keep the army around and in case poo poo happens, they're all ready to go. If poo poo really goes down I will call up more troops from the civilian population, but I normally don't have to.

Yeah same. I find it a little odd that 20,000 troops, the population of a middle-sized medieval city, can lounge around forever in my capital and never get rowdy. They never cause problems for the locals, they don't get violently drunk en mass ever, and no upstart general ever seizes control of them and turns them catastrophically against me. Heck, when they're around 30,000 strong I sometimes feel like they are the de facto power in my kingdom and could probably tamper with royal successions like the praetorian guards of old if they wanted to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Maxime posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the order to upgrade trade post? I've read that it's best to put all your trade posts in one zone at the time for the bonuses (BONII), but I'm not sure if it's better to go for trade value first before trade income. Just trying to min/max while I'm Doge before the AI takes over and screw everything.

The bonus income you get for a high value trade zone is capped, and has diminishing returns quite early. The trade value upgrade never brings as much gold as the trade income upgrade. And it is never worth it in big trade zones, build the garrison upgrade before you build the trade value upgrade.

Edit: Fixed dumb sentence.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 30, 2014

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

CapnAndy posted:

Retinues are so goddamn ahistorical it hurts, though. Standing armies of professional soldiers were really not a thing that existed until, like, the nineteenth century (except for mercenaries, of course, but the whole point of them is that when the fighting was done they'd go off and find the next fight, not stand around doing nothing). We all use them because they're awesome and also we have a thousand years of accumulated knowledge that people in that time didn't have, but still.

Well, retinues as permanent standing units didn't exist in most of Europe during the game's time frame, but I think that's more because of the decentralized nature of feudalism and not because standing armies hadn't been invented yet. Standing armies were around long before the nineteenth century -- the Ottomans had the Janissaries as a sort of private elite unit either during or slightly after the game's time frame, most of the major European powers had some form of standing force by the 17th century, and the Romans (and as an extension, the Byzantines) had standing armies long before CK2 even began.

I think it would be cooler and more realistic if a) there was a hard cap on retinue size based on your rank and b) they functioned less like a standing army and more like a personal, customizable mercenary company. That way you'd have to raise them and pay a significant maintenance cost to field them, and only really wealthy realms could afford to use them as a permanent standing force.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

The trade value upgrade never brings as much gold as the trade value upgrade.

What.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Ancient Religions mod? I suppose it's about time I do a Roman Empire run, and it doesn't entirely feel right reforming it as a dirty Christian. Or I guess any other mod that boosts Hellenic paganism.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Argh. The trade value upgrade never gives as much as the trade income upgrade.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

CapnAndy posted:

I just vassalized the Pope (I win the game now, yay me), and the game popped up a warning about the title possibly passing out of my realm, probably because the Preferatus is currently a Pisan bishop. It won't, right? I'm on HCA, it shouldn't even be able to, but I don't know if the Papacy is different now.

I also wish to know the answer to this. If SoA pope vassalization means creating new antipopes constantly and warring again to hold Rome then that would suck.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How come sometimes when you use the Imperial Reconquest CB and you occupy every holding in a territory you gain the county and sometimes the minor holdings for yourself but other times you just vassalize them? I make sure to siege down every holding each time but half the time I get to hand out counties to rulers of my culture other times I'm stuck with foreign rulers.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Okay, the Old Gods content doesn't work too well with merchant republics. My designated heir went off to join the Varangians and when my old character died he didn't come back like usual. The succession went straight to my other son.

Then I went on a pilgrimage, got depressed and killed myself so my actual heir could inherit. :shepface:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Okay, the Old Gods content doesn't work too well with merchant republics. My designated heir went off to join the Varangians and when my old character died he didn't come back like usual. The succession went straight to my other son.

Then I went on a pilgrimage, got depressed and killed myself so my actual heir could inherit. :shepface:

I thought honorary titles (which is how designated heir works) were lost on leaving a court? So he stopped being your designated heir when he joined. I imagine that's WAD, albeit annoying.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

grancheater posted:

Your options are:

A) Zoom really close to the map and check for any shields that mark an independent barony
B) Go through the all baron-rank independent realms via the ledger.

I eventually found the five or six foreign baronies by inching over the map looking for the icons. I'll check via the ledger next time, but the info in there isn't the best either.

I still don't get why half the time, you can't seem to destroy kingdom titles if you don't hold the overbearing empire. I had Bavaria, for instance, and I couldn't destroy it. The info box had a red X for "does not have gavelkind", but the kingdom was primogeniture. The HRE wasn't formed, so it wasn't any inheritance law trickling down to de jure kingdoms. So I got my heir to be raised a catholic, formed the HRE, and then I could finally destroy the kingdom of Bavaria (and holy war half the world to boot, because they're all orthodox thanks to me mending the schism). But then there was a kingdom in Persia (don't remember which one) which I couldn't destroy either, and even after forming the Persian empire it wouldn't work (also gave "gavelkind" as reason, even though it wasn't enabled). I turned my attention elsewhere for a few years and suddenly, I could destroy it, even though I hadn't changed anything regarding inheritance laws, territories or other titles within the Persian empire. What the hell. I have no idea how this crap is supposed to work anymore.

I think it's about time to start reinstating vassals: I currently have over 1000 demesnes and the game's starting to melt my computer. On the bright side: I'm raking in hundreds of tech points so I've maxed out half my economy and culture techs, and it's spreading like wildfire to every part of my empire because it all gets the demesne bonus.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Allyn posted:

I thought honorary titles (which is how designated heir works) were lost on leaving a court? So he stopped being your designated heir when he joined. I imagine that's WAD, albeit annoying.

You're right, he must've lost the title upon leaving.

Looks like without the event that makes heirs come home upon inheritance they just stay in the Varangians forever unless you manually invite them back. Weird.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I just did this in my mega Brittany campaign. The Pope stays with you. I think the message is an error. On the downside, he'll lead every single independence faction.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

WilliamAnderson posted:

Wasn't SWMH, it was Europa Divisae. And it was actually WORSE before they did work on it.

Listening to zeress, the only sane man left, it sounds like they're heavily considering going back to mainly vanilla map when Roi drops. At least I can hope.

Oh thank god

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Ever since CK2+ got weird, I've been collecting other mods and I have a few I doubt I'd want to play without anymore.

Pledge Mod
This one is huge, especially given the recent nerfs to army size. Basically, your vassals can join your wars directly as allies (or sometimes just by donating troops to you without "Raised Levies" penalties) if they like you. Or, if you're a player vassal, you can choose to join your liege in wars if, for example, they're fighting to gain territory that you want.

It works for your opponents too, so I can't see it as unfair, and it really changes the dynamics of going to war.

Jure uxuris
Enables a new strategy for gaining land: marry a woman who hold land, and then simply take it from her. This actually requires effort, however, because there are a boatload of conditions that have to be met before it'll work, and event chains that allow her or her family from fighting you off. It's modeled after actual historical events, and seems pretty reasonable overall.

Anyone else have mods that add new interesting mechanics without getting too wacky?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

axeil posted:

I just did this in my mega Brittany campaign. The Pope stays with you. I think the message is an error. On the downside, he'll lead every single independence faction.

That's good to know. I was spending tons of money to keep the Papacy in the hands of my vassal bishops. Lord knows that the moment the pope became independent, he would wreak a horrible vengeance against me.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

He'll stay your vassal forever until you make him independent, even if there's a new Pope vote. Vassalizing the Pope pretty much means game over yeah, you won't have him give you like 3k gold each time you ask for money, but he'll always accept your ducal claims, so you have that against Catholics and Holy Wars for everyone else, you can just steamroll all over Europe from that point.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

axeil posted:

Nah, it's not an error, I'm pretty sure the check is "does the current heir have as a liege somebody who isn't you". Which, y'know, he does, so I can see why they popped it up.

I've gotten that warning me when heirs to certain duchies were currently working for a vassal King too, it's not the most sophisticated check. Just wanted to be sure the election wouldn't automatically dislodge the title.

Incidentally, I had the Templars as vassals, so I gave them all of Jerusalem. Either declaring an antipope or going to war against the Papacy somehow instantly made them independent :(

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

axeil posted:

:stare: Jesus. That's not as bad as losing a Patrician election and basically having a game-over but it's really close.

Normally I'd recommend asking the Pope to excommunicate the claimant so everyone hates him and you can imprison him for free but a) you're Norse and b) you're 2 so you wouldn't have enough piety anyway.

Don't try killing the guy as you'll probably just end up incurring tyranny and the kinslayer penalty.

Your best bet is to probably try and throw the guy in jail. People can't press claims or join factions while they're behind bars. After he's in jail, wait till you're an adult and everyone loves you and take back all the stuff you lost. Indefinite jailing is probably the best way to deal with problem vassals during a succession crisis. You'll take a -40 hit to your vassals so you might need to throw a lot of people in jail. Have your marshal show up and suppress revolts wherever this claimant is to boost the arrest chance. If all the claimants are in jail then you should be okay, you're only issue would be tyranny revolts or independence revolts. Independence revolts are annoying as hell because the faction will tend to demand independence at only 30% or so.

If he ends up claiming your emperor title you might just let him have it. Build yourself back up and snatch it back. Your only issue then would be being a single province count in an empire where the emperor has a claim on your county. That's a quick way to game over.

Good luck. This is where the real CK2 begins :getin:

My cousin has a positive relation with me, so I'm hoping that I can get Norway to leave the faction. I'm thinking I'll try revoking the counties and duchy of Sjaellend, that way I get my baronies back that I poured thousands of gold into, as well as maybe sparking a Revolt Against the Tyranny of Me, rather than a war to install my cousin. Then when I win I can imprison the Fucker King of Denmark until I'm an adult. I need holdings in de jure Denmark anyway so I can nominate myself for the kingdom again.

And if I lose the Fylkirate, then it's prepared invasion on Wessex time. :v

majestic12 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 30, 2014

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I pick this game up every few weeks and play for a couple hours. I've never played anything longer than 3 or 4 generations, and have always started in Ireland, lately as King Aed at TOG start, since my family comes from Westmeath and as best as I can tell, that's where CKII puts Kildare.

Last night, King Aed had a long reign and he even fought off depression, which sucked. I focused on going full North Korea to allow my Grey Eminence heir to parcel out the counties and had one single unvassalized county to go when Aed finally died.

So I set about with my new character making sure his Genius heir had a good education, and began parceling out all of the counties, mostly to members of my dynasty. At the start with all the other counties in my demesne I was stronger than the last independent and extant count, and was able to pick him up as a vassal as part of the deal.

No sooner did I get below my demesne cap when suddenly I had factions sprouting up all over the goddamn place. My genius heir hits adulthood, becomes a Grey Eminence, and I immediately fire off a marriage request for some genius woman from Greece. Before I even get the response, my newly minted adult heir loving dies. His younger brother is alright, but not stellar.

Then the rebellion wars happen and everyone joins the dogpile. t:mad:

I think I'm going to savescum back to Aed and just stay as North Korea.

This loving game. :allears:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Not ten years after being granted the Kingdom of Greece, some idiot cousin of mine from a cadet branch of the Russian de Hautvilles has managed to convert Achae to Catholic Normans.

It took me, the king and head of the dynasty, over 100 years to do the same to Sicily. idgi.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Same. I conquered Egypt because I was testing the Norse Great Holy War and within a generation nearly all of it is Norse/Norse. My capital duchy of Essex is still Anglo Saxon/Catholic even after my 4th ruler. Tempted to give my other counties in the duchy to old randoms and then hope they convert the province and die before siring an heir but I don't want to deal with the hassle of revoking.

Also, what are the conditions for a Fylkir to declare a Great Holy War? I managed to do it waaaay back in the 920s with the guy who reformed the faith but now none of my subsequent Fylkirs can declare one. The Christians and the Muslims have access to their Crusades/Jihads (I have been targets of them.).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Vassals have their own court chaplains, who they tend to send out to convert their provinces. Yours is probably buttering up your religious head or doing something else useful. The end result is that vassals get conversions done much quicker than you can. (I think they get a bonus to conversion chance, too)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Well this is weird. I've been digging around in the trait files, and it turns out that Muslim characters cannot be Chaste. There's no other cultural restrictions on "personality" traits, so this is kinda weird. I don't really get it either, I mean, it's not like Muslims need help with fertility.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Vassals have their own court chaplains, who they tend to send out to convert their provinces. Yours is probably buttering up your religious head or doing something else useful. The end result is that vassals get conversions done much quicker than you can. (I think they get a bonus to conversion chance, too)

Yeah I've notice vassals do conversion way better than me, but what gets me is the quick cultural flip Dumbass de Hauteville pulled somehow. I've held Sicily for over a century and only half of it is Norman, but this dude just turned a whole duchy Norman in a decade.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DStecks posted:

Well this is weird. I've been digging around in the trait files, and it turns out that Muslim characters cannot be Chaste. There's no other cultural restrictions on "personality" traits, so this is kinda weird. I don't really get it either, I mean, it's not like Muslims need help with fertility.

The "potential" part only signifies that Muslim characters cannot be randomly generated with Chaste. They can still get it through Events.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Seoinin posted:

Yeah I've notice vassals do conversion way better than me, but what gets me is the quick cultural flip Dumbass de Hauteville pulled somehow. I've held Sicily for over a century and only half of it is Norman, but this dude just turned a whole duchy Norman in a decade.
Man, that's just lucky. My lands refuse to turn Irish no matter how much of the world I conquer.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Does anyone know the deal with CK2+ and Holy Wars? I have some heretic Catholics in England that I don't have a CB against for some reason.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Eimi posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Ancient Religions mod? I suppose it's about time I do a Roman Empire run, and it doesn't entirely feel right reforming it as a dirty Christian. Or I guess any other mod that boosts Hellenic paganism.

I haven't tried it, but I think it's integrated into CK2+. What religions are in there right now? Hellenic, one or two branches of Druidism? Anything else?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Does anyone know the deal with CK2+ and Holy Wars? I have some heretic Catholics in England that I don't have a CB against for some reason.

Have you declared another Holy War recently? Last I checked, CK2+ gives holy wars a five year cool down before you can call one again.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Skyl3lazer posted:

If you're currently in the five-year Holy War cooldown, the modifier for it will show on your character's page.

catlord posted:

I haven't tried it, but I think it's integrated into CK2+. What religions are in there right now? Hellenic, one or two branches of Druidism? Anything else?

I think the current version also has the Egyptian pantheon.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

People don't prioritise conversion? I get very focused on getting all of my demesne as my religion.

Even the religion map requires pretty borders.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I started my Slavic run as Basque Slavs in Poland.

Only now, almost 300 years after I started, did one of my counties that I've held for the last 300 years culture flip (a few years ago).

Meanwhile my vassals (almost all Basque, because Holy War + Conquest are amazing -- "Invite Holy Man" "Grant Landed Title") have merrily coverted large swathes of the countryside to Basque. It's still patchy though.

Cultural conversions are slow.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

catlord posted:

CK2+ has very basic Egyptian along with that. Of course it'd require playing CK2+ :v: Maybe if I'm not lazy I could rip out the religions parts, but most of CK2+ is so annoying to me. Granted I'm thinking just gently caress I'll pretend I'm the worst Catholic ever or something since SoA made them more fun to play. (Also the thought of fighting against 5 holy orders is pretty nightmarish.)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 30, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

How bad a player am I? I started a Norse game, as the big place in Sweden (Svíþjóð I believe it's called) and now it's nearing 1100 and I have neither formed the Empire of Scandinavia, nor reformed the Norse faith.
Playing CK2+, if it makes a difference, and I don't have Sons of Abraham.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Serperoth posted:

How bad a player am I? I started a Norse game, as the big place in Sweden (Svíþjóð I believe it's called) and now it's nearing 1100 and I have neither formed the Empire of Scandinavia, nor reformed the Norse faith.
Playing CK2+, if it makes a difference, and I don't have Sons of Abraham.

CK2 isn't really paint a map your color game. And CK+ does make expansion harder (to form an empire, you need three kingdom titles, for example, and it tones down pagan CBs by a lot).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
My chaplain is out converting too, if only because I don't need to butter up the Pope on account of buying and selling peons like him with change I dig out of my throne :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The "potential" part only signifies that Muslim characters cannot be randomly generated with Chaste. They can still get it through Events.

That makes it even weirder, since personality traits like that are gained from events during childhood. That means that it only affects characters generated by "Summon a dude to your court" decisions. What exactly are they trying to do? :confused:

• Locked thread