Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Robinson and Landry are the two guys I like, and they're probably the best fits for the Niners offense of the group as well. Although now that I think about it, that may subconsciously influence the prospects I find myself liking in the first place.

If Gilbert and Dennard are off the board when the Niners pick/they don't feel strongly enough to move up and get one of them in a trade, taking Robinson at 30 would be all right by me.

Landry looks good, but I really dislike Robinson for the Niners. Some combination (any two) of Landry, Davante Adams, Jared Abbrederis, Robert Herron and Martavis Bryant would be what I'd like to see.

Give me two of those receivers, a good CB and Jimmie Ward, and I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If it's worth anything Landry will probably be the dropper out of every tier 2 WR. He won't test well athletically.

Odell Beckham Jr. on the other hand...

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Speaking about WR's What do you guys think about Benjamin? I saw his WR metrics and I really like him.

Think he'll be around in the late first round?

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/peshek-top-4-wr-metrics

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SpclKen posted:

Speaking about WR's What do you guys think about Benjamin? I saw his WR metrics and I really like him.

He's huge and fast for a dude his size but I am always really wary about dudes who don't understand route-running coming out of school and he's had some drop problems in college. He's the best size-speed combo of the class but there's also considerable risk there, I'd expect him to end up in the late first unless somebody sees that he's 6'5" and runs a 4.5 and goes all Al Davis.

Coldforge posted:

Landry looks good, but I really dislike Robinson for the Niners. Some combination (any two) of Landry, Davante Adams, Jared Abbrederis, Robert Herron and Martavis Bryant would be what I'd like to see.

Give me two of those receivers, a good CB and Jimmie Ward, and I'll be happy.

I'm curious to hear why you don't like Robinson. I know the track record of Penn State skill position guys isn't great, but he's been hugely productive in college and he's big but still pretty fast and good out of his breaks. I like the way he makes guys miss but keeps moving upfield after the catch (Landry does that too) and I've seen him run a lot of routes that the Niners use with their WRs a lot.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm curious to hear why you don't like Robinson. I know the track record of Penn State skill position guys isn't great, but he's been hugely productive in college and he's big but still pretty fast and good out of his breaks. I like the way he makes guys miss but keeps moving upfield after the catch (Landry does that too) and I've seen him run a lot of routes that the Niners use with their WRs a lot.

He's a guy who needs room to operate. If he has it, he's great, has amazing agility and good hands in open space. Does not seem to play well against tight, physical defense (which would be a problem for him as a Niner, obviously).

SpclKen posted:

Do not like him at all. Too raw, bad hands, bad routes. He uses his size well to box out smaller defenders, but otherwise doesn't really play like a 6'5" guy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SpclKen posted:

He's got to learn to catch the ball better but the real knock on Benjamin is his football IQ, in which I think he doesn't have any. His route running was pretty much two routes and that rotoworld article echoes that, which also isn't that much of a knock I suppose since they're highly skilled routes to run. Seems a bit of a project like a slower Stephen Hill.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
McCarron will be really good in the NFL... eventually. Basically he's perfect for the Aaron Rodgers route: bury him behind a really good QB and have him know the offense like the back of his hand before he starts. If you just throw him in at any point his good decision making and experience will keep him from being a total catastrophe, but his strength is doing what coaches tell him to do safely and reliably, not trying to be a hero.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Rodgers seems like a terrible comparison because he has a way better arm than McCarron and a lot of his issues were his footwork and mechanics were causing him to lose velocity and accuracy. Rodgers sat so they could rework his mechanics, not the general sit him and teach him that seems to be echoed with the poor decision making QBs that get drafted every year. McCarrons knock is that he can't make every throw on the field and that his arm strength is far below average

Diodeous fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 30, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Diodeous posted:

Rodgers seems like a terrible comparison because he has a way better arm than McCarron. Rodgers sat so they could rework his mechanics, not the general sit him and teach him that seems to be echoed with the poor decision making QBs that get drafted every year. McCarrons knock is that he can't make every throw on the field and that hos arm strength is far below average

If the Bears could pick him up in like the 6th maybe 5th round I would take him as a backup to Cutler. I mean his Arm can't be any worse than Josh McCown. Plus I would get to laugh at people who unironically think he should be starting.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

That seems more realistic than comparing him to a much higher drafted player of elite quality

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I think if they don't draft one high the Bucs are going to try to go for a guy like McCarron or Murray in the 4th as competition for Glennon.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Diodeous posted:

That seems more realistic than comparing him to a much higher drafted player of elite quality

To be honest everyone, including Packers fans, thought Rodgers was a huge bust in the Favre days.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Toymachine posted:

To be honest everyone, including Packers fans, thought Rodgers was a huge bust in the Favre days.

I don't remember this at all.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Dexo posted:

If the Bears could pick him up in like the 6th maybe 5th round I would take him as a backup to Cutler. I mean his Arm can't be any worse than Josh McCown. Plus I would get to laugh at people who unironically think he should be starting.

McCarron seems like McCown 2.0 so I'm super ok with the Bears picking him up on the 3rd Day.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Toymachine posted:

Bust? No. Just still a project with a lot of unknowns that certainly would be a big step down from Favre of course. :haw:

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Ehud posted:

I don't remember this at all.

Really? I remember watching the Ravens game with young Aaron Rodgers under center and all my Packers fan friends wanted him fired into the sun. Dude seriously sucked the first 2-3 years when he actually got playing time. (My friends are alcoholics though)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

No Safe Word posted:

Bust? No. Just still a project with a lot of unknowns that certainly would be a big step down from Favre of course. :haw:

Favre's last year with the Packers: NFC Title game

Rodgers' first year: 6-10

Seems like a pretty big step down!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I absolutely remember what Toymachine is saying

Rodgers had looked terrible in his preseason playing time and there was a ton of concern

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Toymachine posted:

Really? I remember watching the Ravens game with young Aaron Rodgers under center and all my Packers fan friends wanted him fired into the sun. Dude seriously sucked the first 2-3 years when he actually got playing time. (My friends are alcoholics though)

Packers fans will never criticize Aaron Rodgers for anything. Any interception is automatically the WRs fault, and any sack is the OL's fault

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Toymachine posted:

Packers fans didn't care for the 6-10 season he got his first year starting but he didnt suck after that.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Aaron Rodgers first year starting:

4038 yards
28 TD / 13 INT
93.8 QB Rating

Yeah they went 6-10, but his play shouldn't have been cause for concern. If Packers fans were freaking out, then they were dumb.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm referring to before Favre left when Rodgers looked terrible in brief playing time and preseason. He quickly shut up anyone who was mad about Favre being traded, that's for sure

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Ehud posted:

4038 yards
28 TD / 13 INT
93.8 QB Rating

Yeah they went 6-10, but his play shouldn't have been cause for concern. If Packers fans were freaking out, then they were dumb.

I'm talking way before then. It was during his his first two or three years when he was pretty bad in the preseason and terrible when he got random playing time closing out games when they sat Favre.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Toymachine posted:

I'm talking way before then. It was during his his first two or three years when he was pretty bad in the preseason and terrible when he got random playing time closing out games when they sat Favre.

I think he was still in the process of un-loving himself from Tedford's system

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Toymachine posted:

I seriously thought that year that it was the OL that performed worse than Rodgers, but I'm not Pack fan (unless it's the Brat Pack)

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Intruder posted:

I'm referring to before Favre left when Rodgers looked terrible in brief playing time and preseason. He quickly shut up anyone who was mad about Favre being traded, that's for sure

IDK, in the cowboys game that he came into after Favre got knocked out in 2007 he looked pretty drat good (which as a Vikings fan, made me sad)

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Ehud posted:

4038 yards
28 TD / 13 INT
93.8 QB Rating

Good God I would literally...cry if a Browns QB put this up. I'd sob and hit my dick

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

DupaDupa posted:

McCarron seems like McCown 2.0 so I'm super ok with the Bears picking him up on the 3rd Day.

I would be amazed to see McCarron hit 3rd day and I'd probably be willing to toxx myelf that if he falls that far I'll get part of his chest tattoo done on me

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
On McCarron possibly not throwing at the combine: who is his agent? I think I remember reading Tom Condon typically advises his guys not to throw there, I wonder if there are other guys who are like that.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'd love it if McCarron could pull a Dion Waiters, and be drafted in the first two rounds. It won't happen but it only takes one to make Tebow a 1st rd pick.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Rap posted:

Good God I would literally...cry if a Browns QB put this up. I'd sob and hit my dick

A Jets QB hasn't thrown for 4000 yards since 1967 and they've only had one 3500 yard passer in the last 25 years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ozu posted:

A Jets QB hasn't thrown for 4000 yards since 1967 and they've only had one 3500 yard passer in the last 25 years.

:stare: Testevarde (sp?) never did? Even Palmer threw for 4k with the Raiders.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ehud posted:

4038 yards
28 TD / 13 INT
93.8 QB Rating

Yep they were freaking out because they were/are dumb. They were also dealing with the whole Favre fiasco as well.

I do remember quite clearly that Rodgers was still getting blamed for losses at times like that ridiculous loss to the Cards in the playoffs. Rodgers got very little media credit until the SB run and then suddenly he was elite and all the Packers problems were with the defense/o-line.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

:stare: Testevarde (sp?) never did? Even Palmer threw for 4k with the Raiders.

Vinny's the 3500 yard guy, he only went 4k once in his career in Baltimore. He's still surprisingly far up on the career list I believe because he played forever.

e: 9th on the career passing yards list. Everyone in front of him is a hall of famer or almost sure to be hall of famer (Drew Brees is the closest to not making it but he'll get there).

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

SpclKen posted:

He scares me most of the class because he's right in the range where Carolina figure to be picking. I wouldn't mind if Steve Smith was three years younger, but fact is the Panthers need dudes who can contribute now, not who'll take two years to get there. Ricky Proehl would be the guy to do it, but I really don't want a developmental guy.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Is Benjamin not considered a good open-field runner?

I thought a lot of the concern with Cordarelle Patterson was some sketchy route-running and the Vikings resolved that by just getting him isolated and letting him get involved in the return game and running game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

smuggler posted:

I thought a lot of the concern with Cordarelle Patterson was some sketchy route-running and the Vikings resolved that by just getting him isolated and letting him get involved in the return game and running game.

He did improve his route running as the season wore on and also seems to have a good knack for finding the weak spot in zone coverage. The knock on him going into the draft was that he was very raw and could be a project, but he was productive sooner than people anticipated and if anything, the Vikings brought him along too slowly.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

smuggler posted:

He's decent if only because he's loving enormous and strong. Think of him as being in between Braylon Edwards and Calvin Johnson but a lot closer to Braylon.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Aniki posted:

He did improve his route running as the season wore on and also seems to have a good knack for finding the weak spot in zone coverage. The knock on him going into the draft was that he was very raw and could be a project, but he was productive sooner than people anticipated and if anything, the Vikings brought him along too slowly.

Patterson to me was the most obvious football player of the draft. A taller Percy harvin. I liked him throughout the draft process because he had incredible instincts and his ability after the catch is mind blowing.

I have a new clear cut favorite at running back as well. Wears green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I have a new clear cut favorite at running back as well. Wears green.

:getin:

• Locked thread