Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sundae posted:

As much as I hope they run it like this, in reality, I suspect the other guy is right given the way my company is run. This place is all about making demands without providing means of completing them.

So how many of these can you pick up before you can make your escape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

As soon as my contract is up, I'm gone. I was an idiot and signed a relocation agreement. The penalties are enormous if I leave before my period's up.

Are there penalties if you get fired before your period is up? If there are you should lawyer up immediately, because I'm seeing an awful legal fight in the future when the scummy company tries to recoup costs.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm working in the UK next year, because Europe has been so amazing I'm not ready to go back to Australia yet (we are in the middle of nowhere). So I'm applying the places I want to work, but I've come to the realization I don't want a full time role. I don't know the place (the UK), I don't know the people (never really spent that much time with the English in England) and I have no idea if I'm going to like it. Some reports are good, others not so good and the point is.. I don't want to commit to anything before I know what the score is (listening, Sundae? :)).

So as much as I want my next role to be another full time gig with IBM, HP or MS (or Cisco, Cisco is good to work for).. I'm only considering those if the role is a perfect fit and the conditions and pay excellent. Otherwise I reckon I'll do a contract, 6 months or something and that way if I get there and they're all terrible and I just can't handle that English weather and whatever else, I don't get the shits and leave with a black mark against my name with a HR dept of a global company I care about. Saying you're all hot and heavy for a role and yes yes yes and then six months in dumping them is never a good look.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

New amazing thing: recruiter from my company contacted me through LinkedIn for an amazing opportunity with my company. Which I already work for.
Probably a better job though, so let's see if I can string him along.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Keetron posted:

New amazing thing: recruiter from my company contacted me through LinkedIn for an amazing opportunity with my company. Which I already work for.
Probably a better job though, so let's see if I can string him along.

Haha, that's great.

I worked with a temp once who got contacted by a different temp agency for a different department in the same company. He told me it was a really awkward phone call with the second agency at first. He ended up pursuing that second position because it paid more, he didn't get the job then my department let him go shortly after.

Not every story has a happy ending :(

(It wasn't retaliation, my department already had plans to drop him and my supervisor was trying to help him get into that second position because he knew what was going to happen)

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I got a call earlier from my former place of employment, A "top fifteen" merchant solutions company with an office here in Omaha. It was my old director, and what a pleasure it was to hear from her!

Basically she said that she don't think my new job is really right for me and that I should come back and work for them. Going ahead with that line of reasoning they think that I am not professionally developed enough to handle the responsibilities of my new position, and that she had written my new supervisor with her concerns. I would basically be safer within the warm protective emprace of XXXX-MS Omaha!

Now, I left that place in May for this position, and since then have not only been promoted, but cerfitied for the CISA, parts 1 and 2 of the CIA and generally taken off professionally after 2 years of brutal repression. I'm safe here, I work for a Fortune 500 with amazing employee development and making about twice as much as I used to. I'm also pretty young, only 3 years out of college so I think this new place is a great place to be/develop until I feel like tackling the big dogs.

To sweeten the deal, my former employer promised me payment equal to my initial hiring wage (I had a 30% pay cut after my first 9 months), 8 days of vacation and a promotion to level 2 support. I must be crazy not to accept! I mean, I owe them so much for my current good fortune!

Am I nuts or is this just a completely bizarre way to regain former employees?

Edit: Some other people, like Xibanya work for payment processors, are they all so terrible? Is it the fact that the industry is kind of dying that drives this general awfulness?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
what the gently caress.

So wait, this bitch who paid you half of what you're getting paid now, has called you to get you back. She is offering the same lovely wage, and she's going to do it by trying to undermine you at your current place of work?

What do you do? CIA and CISA? What are these.. certs?

Anyway, correct me if I'm not reading right.. because this is hard to believe.. but if I am I would ring her back and say we're done, I left and if you contact my current employer and start talking poo poo I'll have you for slander. Jesus Christ.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
A 30% pay cut? And you didn't quit immediately?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
No competent legal department in the loving country would let a manager pull that poo poo on an employee at another company. The potential legal liability of trash-talking the employee is so damned huge that companies often don't even let managers give references anymore, let alone call up ex-employees' new bosses. Might be worth seeing if you can get a hold of that letter if she actually sent it. It's such a terrible idea that I can't imagine she actually went through with it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'd get a copy of that letter for sure. Usually you only get to see letters like that referred to as "Evidence A."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Xandu posted:

I probably wouldn't walk out on the spot if they gave me a pay cut, but I'd certainly stop doing anything that was not part of my regular 8-4 and would do everything I could to find a new job as quickly as possible.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You still gotta pay the bills, but the writing is on the wall. Exit stage left, asap.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
CIA and CISA are global gold standard internal/IT Audit certifications. They make doors open like a battering ram made of explosions.

Xandu posted:

I actually started looking for a new job about 90 days into that one but didn't have a car to actually go anywhere so I lost out on a ton of opportunities. I think I posted in here when it happened but those 2 years I was dealing with some intense personal issues on top of it all so yeah I just kinda took it because I had no where else to go.

Per the comment about acquiring the letter, I asked my current manager about it and he says he hasn't seen anything. There is a good chance she is acting without any oversight as incidents such as this have happened when I was at the company

On my phone so apologies for the awful punctuation.

Edit edit: on a hunch I texted one of my old coworkers. Apparently the Deloitte robots took management out to a steakhouse. Based on prior experience I think she was absolutely sloshed when she contacted me. Yes this happened at 10am

Pleads posted:

Does Nebraska let you record things without both parties' consent? Because that sounds like a good application of that allowance, if so.

"Dear old director's boss, here is a neat recording of director. Have fun."

It's legal though, it would serve to sink my personal reputation in the city. Financial companies have a lot of crossover, and no one wants to deal with an auditor who may potentially record a conversation. This person isn't worth it at this point, I honestly just thought it was an incident that the folks in here would appreciate.

Here's the legal speak on recording:
Nebraska – It is not unlawful to intercept a wire, electronic, or oral communication when the interceptor is a party to the conversation or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 28, 2014

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Does Nebraska let you record things without both parties' consent? Because that sounds like a good application of that allowance, if so.

"Dear old director's boss, here is a neat recording of director. Have fun."

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

handbanana125 posted:

I got a call earlier from my former place of employment, A "top fifteen" merchant solutions company with an office here in Omaha. It was my old director, and what a pleasure it was to hear from her!

Basically she said that she don't think my new job is really right for me and that I should come back and work for them. Going ahead with that line of reasoning they think that I am not professionally developed enough to handle the responsibilities of my new position, and that she had written my new supervisor with her concerns. I would basically be safer within the warm protective emprace of XXXX-MS Omaha!

Now, I left that place in May for this position, and since then have not only been promoted, but cerfitied for the CISA, parts 1 and 2 of the CIA and generally taken off professionally after 2 years of brutal repression. I'm safe here, I work for a Fortune 500 with amazing employee development and making about twice as much as I used to. I'm also pretty young, only 3 years out of college so I think this new place is a great place to be/develop until I feel like tackling the big dogs.

To sweeten the deal, my former employer promised me payment equal to my initial hiring wage (I had a 30% pay cut after my first 9 months), 8 days of vacation and a promotion to level 2 support. I must be crazy not to accept! I mean, I owe them so much for my current good fortune!

Am I nuts or is this just a completely bizarre way to regain former employees?

Edit: Some other people, like Xibanya work for payment processors, are they all so terrible? Is it the fact that the industry is kind of dying that drives this general awfulness?

Is it wrong this made me feel better about my job, hell I bet it made Sundae fell better about his job.

My job is not getting a 4% salary rollback for the next two years due to all the unions threatening to walk the second it happened. We are also gearing up for an assfucking on Feb. 11.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

handbanana125 posted:

Uh, what did you say to her about this "generous" opportunity?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

Is it wrong this made me feel better about my job, hell I bet it made Sundae fell better about his job.

No kidding. I hate pretty much everything about my job (except the paycheck) with a passion, but there's straight up no way in hell anyone would pull that poo poo in big pharma. Legal would crucify you at the first hint that you were going to contact an ex-employee's boss.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrSVkTRb24

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

My job is not getting a 4% salary rollback for the next two years due to all the unions threatening to walk the second it happened. We are also gearing up for an assfucking on Feb. 11.

Glad it helped a bit! Though I'm sorry to hear your poo poo still sucks.

Solkanar512 posted:

I asked for a couple of considerations on top of the rest
1) They open up the web filter so I can post work (like here)
2) Foot the cash payment for a condo I've been lusting after.

I'm a reasonable man of simple means after all. Edit: waiting on the reply

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 28, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
What sad is not isn't even the worst thing they are planning on doing. They are planning on make it illegal for us to refuse work unless it's life threatening while you do the task.

Sit and think about that for a minute.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

sbaldrick posted:

What sad is not isn't even the worst thing they are planning on doing. They are planning on make it illegal for us to refuse work unless it's life threatening while you do the task.

Wait, who the gently caress is making this illegal?

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

I have to because what the hell did you just write?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

We used to run conference calls from our desks but they finally got our videoconferencing system set up so now everyone has to move into the boardrooms when we have calls, so that we can see each other and act like the videoconferencing system was a worthwhile purchase. Also the organization I work for asked to put me in some sort of commercial. It has been a weird week so far.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

handbanana125 posted:

Dying? Do you mean because it's being increasingly done by software?

My company probably won't die, at least if the Plutonomy memos are anything to go by.
My company does HR outsourcing, payroll, and tax for people who have domestic servants, eg, rich assholes. Most of what we do is behind the scenes, but we have people calling us all day because they are stupid or because they need their hand held for every little thing. Because nearly all of them have entitlement complexes (and huge net worths - a favorite past time of mine is to enter the client's name into google and see which hedge fund they manage) they want to speak to whoever manages their account right now. A regular call center wouldn't work because the clients want to speak to whoever it is actually does the tax return processing, payroll, and what have you. Yes, so that means that my job involves doing all three while also answering the phone.

Someone a few pages back was talking about lack of documentation in a company. Hoo boy, my company has that in spades. My training manual was a giant stack of IRS and USDOL publications. I was also told to read the web pages of every state tax agency. I have to be able to quote them at the drop of a hat. See, we give all kinds of accounting advice over the phone because the clients demand it. (Never in writing though...) All the clients have their own accountants, they just like being able to get instant answers. I am the cheapest accountant ever. (We have actual staff accountants doing the behind the scenes stuff that an accountant would actually do.) But gawd it was such a pain learning the things I had to know since there was no in person training on most the minutia and the things that come up day to day are buried under reams of irrelevant legalese. All the while the more experienced people rolling their eyes. "What, you didn't know that an employee in New York can have their pay reduced by $.60/week to offset the cost of state disability insurance? Jeez...!"

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Xibanya posted:

Dying? Do you mean because it's being increasingly done by software?

My company probably won't die, at least if the Plutonomy memos are anything to go by.
My company does HR outsourcing, payroll, and tax for people who have domestic servants, eg, rich assholes.
Ah, sorry I had thought you were in the credit card processing business. That sounds immeasurably worse though.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, who the gently caress is making this illegal?

I work for the government, so when they gently caress us over they gently caress us way over.

In Canada you have the right to refuse to do any work that will physically harm you either in the present (I feel that equipment is unsafe) or in the future (such as asbestos exposure).

Sometimes I forget that other countries don't have things like workers rights.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
50% of my job is professionally harassing people for documents we need. I have been harassing one particular person who works for us every. single. day. for the last week for a vital document that we need by today. We didn't get it. I'm talking with my coworker about how to handle it, since this is going to cause an amazing mess, and she goes "Wait, here is a copy of [document] from the broker (person who works for the customer, not us) in my e-mail and they didn't copy you for some reason. I didn't know what it was for & I never bothered to open the attachment. :downs:" She forwarded the e-mail to me and it's dated mid-last week.

:suicide:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 30, 2014

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

ladyweapon posted:

50% of my job is professionally harassing people for documents we need. I have been harassing one particular person who works for us every. single. day. for the last week for a vital document that we need by today. We didn't get it. I'm talking with my coworker about how to handle it, since this is going to cause an amazing mess, and she goes "Wait, here is a copy of [document] from the broker (person who works for the customer, not us) in my e-mail and they didn't copy you for some reason. I didn't know what it was for & I never bothered to open the attachment. :downs:" She forwarded the e-mail to me and it's dated mid-last week.

:suicide:

I was just reading about a new startup called Sqrl whose service is being designed to automatically follow up with clients/people/whomever to hound them to get whatever necessary documentation you periodically require from them.

...Whether it's going to work or not, who knows.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hey, anyone have experience working with Randstad? Especially in the USA? I want to know what they are like before I commit to them. They emailed me about a position with a good rate of pay, but I want to know what kind of hornet's nest I'm sticking my manhood into. I've seen some horrible reviews, and some good reviews on the typical websites, but wanted to know if anyone here has a take on them.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I've worked for them before and had a good experience, but with any temp agency your experience really depends on the people in the local office. They're kinda like franchises, and each individual office can be managed better or worse than another.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Keska posted:

I've worked for them before and had a good experience, but with any temp agency your experience really depends on the people in the local office. They're kinda like franchises, and each individual office can be managed better or worse than another.

One thing that worries me is the "local" office I'm dealing with is based in Florida, if the interviewer's phone number is anything to go by. I'm in Ohio. Otherwise, if they pay me what I'm promised, I can probably put up with some bullshit, as long as it doesn't actively hamper my ability to work/get paid.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm working through Randstad now, they're fine to the point of being almost transparent - I just tell them how much I worked and then get the money a week later. Not very helpful but yeah, depends on your local office and assignment.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I know it's mostly the only thing I post about, and I know the answer is "go elsewhere" (have started applying), but my salary negotiations stalled and died yesterday after my boss told me that they had a range available for the compensation in my new position, then told me they would not be offering more than the bare minimum of that range. Gave me the range they had available, and told me he would not offer more despite their offer being the bottom number of that range.

I just kind of stared at him.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pleads posted:

I know it's mostly the only thing I post about, and I know the answer is "go elsewhere" (have started applying), but my salary negotiations stalled and died yesterday after my boss told me that they had a range available for the compensation in my new position, then told me they would not be offering more than the bare minimum of that range. Gave me the range they had available, and told me he would not offer more despite their offer being the bottom number of that range.

Do the bare minimum, since that's all they're paying you for.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 27, 2023

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I learned the drawback of being good at every job at the office today. I've been with the company 10 and a half years now. I started in production (lowest), became the fastest/most accurate/most trusted person there, got hired to QC when a spot opened up, eventually became the fastest with the least amount of errors there, and got bumped up to analyst which is what I've been for the last few years. To replace my output in QC, they hired/promoted 3 people, who after all this time still aren't particularly good.

Well this week the company forced my boss to lay off 20% of our production team. And today I find out, since my customer base as an analyst has been hit the hardest over the last year (losing clients, no fault of my own or the team's really, our sales staff is REALLY failing us), I'm going to be bumped back to QC again and my current remaining clients distributed to the rest of the analyst team. Hoping this doesn't mean a loss in pay or title but who knows. Glad I'm already in school to get out of this industry, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Rule #1: never be amazing at anything

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pleads posted:

I don't think anyone will judge you for posting about money because let's be honest here, money is the only reason why any of us work in the first place.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
You know, that has honestly hurt me in most of my office jobs (and non-office ones, come to think of it). Doing my job really well has historically usually led to more work for me with very little or (much more often) no extra pay. And one of those raises was a whole twenty-five cents... which put me right at the new minimum wage level that went into effect a couple of weeks later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

A tip: You wouldn't have gotten poo poo for your efforts if the minimum wage wasn't raised.