Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'd get that up to 1.026 personally. Also, is your refractometer calibrated? Just a thought

That's with two separate refractometers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Bulbs are CF, and started to get old around June, leading to a cyanobacteria outbreak that I fought off after bulb replacement. Makes them 5-6 months old, time to start thinking about replacement again, but last time, the corals were all fine, just smothered in cyanobacteria. They had a good time of it after the cyanobacteria defeat, as well.

Flow is the same, I figured it might be a little low, so I took the pump and powerhead out and cleaned em, slightly more flow, no change.

The negative turn started right after I started running carbon and GFO in a reactor. It ran for maybe three weeks, and I started to see receding corals and the begining of my pocillopora die-off, so I removed the reactor from the system and did a ~40% water change. No change.

Theres never been any copper in the system, and as I said, the inverts and softies are all fine, if not growing very fast.

The only other variable is my skimmer stopped skimming very well. Ill get small spurts, but I just cant get it dialed in like I used to be able to. I'm getting frustrated, at this point; its a similar time-frame and circumstance to when the same thing happened to my last tank, and I quite the hobby for eight years. :(

Unfortunately, adding GFO and carbon all at once to a system that wasn't using it before counts as "a big change" for a lot of the stony corals. Your water suddenly got a lot cleaner and clearer which reduced "food" in the tank and let more light penetrate deeper into the aquarium since carbon removes a lot of the yellowing compounds in the water. When you add GFO and carbon into a system you need to add them gradually so as not to shock your more sensitive corals.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Snails were eating the bryopsis at a good pace but they are literally just too slow to eat it before it spreads, hah. I've started the magnesium treatments and so far I haven't seen any effect on the snails (which I am now attached to :3:). Since I don't have a bio load I figure now is the best time to dump some Kent in there and hope it works out. I've got my test kit for when it's all done and I've done my water changes. I've seen one bristleworm in the tank as well, scrubbing that weird black/purple algae off the big rock from my previous photos. Seems to be doing alright. One thing I haven't seen is the magnesium having any negative effect on the bryopsis so far, but I'm just in the first week of treatments and have been slowly raising the levels. Seems like maybe it is all turning a little brown but that could just be a desert hallucination. I also noticed it becoming coated in white in a lot of places, which I am chalking up to the feather design snagging detritus.

About to hit a month without any water changes and I've had to cut my chaeto in half already. Not bothering to test water quality until I see a serious reduction in Bryopsis and can outlast the reproductive cycle, but visually it seems good!

vvv Hmm, maybe the whitening I am seeing is that? Sucks to have everything delayed but I'd rather wait now than be sorry later.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 20, 2013

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Snails were eating the bryopsis at a good pace but they are literally just too slow to eat it before it spreads, hah. I've started the magnesium treatments and so far I haven't seen any effect on the snails (which I am now attached to :3:). Since I don't have a bio load I figure now is the best time to dump some Kent in there and hope it works out. I've got my test kit for when it's all done and I've done my water changes. I've seen one bristleworm in the tank as well, scrubbing that weird black/purple algae off the big rock from my previous photos. Seems to be doing alright. One thing I haven't seen is the magnesium having any negative effect on the bryopsis so far, but I'm just in the first week of treatments and have been slowly raising the levels. Seems like maybe it is all turning a little brown but that could just be a desert hallucination. I also noticed it becoming coated in white in a lot of places, which I am chalking up to the feather design snagging detritus.

About to hit a month without any water changes and I've had to cut my chaeto in half already. Not bothering to test water quality until I see a serious reduction in Bryopsis and can outlast the reproductive cycle, but visually it seems good!

I didn't see much effect on the bryopsis until getting my magnesium up past 1800. It starts to whiten at the tips and then all of the "feathers" come off leaving just the stems. They basically just starve to death which is why it takes so long to be effective in my opinion. It doesn't seem to stop their reproductive cycle either so you need to starve out the babies too.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Welp. Just found my six line dead, missing it's entire tail. I'd say mantis but I have no new rock work. Definitely odd.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
Any hermits or other crabs in your tank? I've found that they can do a shocking amount of damage to dead fish in a very short amount of time.

Sorry about your six line. :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just one scarlet hermit and he's good for nothing. He sat in the same spot on my monti cap for so long that there was a pale spot when I finally jump started him. I imagine it was either the mp10 or the serpent star.

At least I didn't find him as a fish chip on the floor somewhere :unsmith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Time to start documenting my first ground up tank build.

Started with a 30 gallon setup gifted from a friend moving. Has one clownfish, 2 blennies, another small fish, and a bunch of crabs, snails, and an urchin.

No problems with it so far except some mild green hair algae issues from poor tank layout making it difficult to clean. Lesson learned.

Moving to a:

150 gallon long tank (72x19x28)

Goals with the new tank build are...a quiet, low maintenance tank, and we'll see where the desire takes me from there. Planning on a ~30-40 gallon sump, maybe reusing the old 30 gallon tank.

I haven't ordered any of the supplies yet (except the powerhead), but here's the planned list:
Pump: Eheim 1262 Universal Pump
http://reefersdirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=556
Skimmer: Bubble Magus BM-NAC7 Cone
http://reefersdirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=247
Heaters (2): Jager 300 Watt Heater 17 inch
2x http://reefersdirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=569
Powerhead: Hydor Koralia Evolution Aquarium Circulation Pump (1050GPH)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036RXO5M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also have a smaller powerhead from the 30 gallon tank that I'll use to make sure there are no dead spots.

Planning on a Herbie style drain, and just digging now into lights and spectrum charts and things like that, and what sort of DIY light rig I'll be building.

Any commentary on my choices? I know the skimmer is rated for a 130-185 gallon tank, but I'm not going to have a huge bioload for awhile, and if I do start to go that direction I'll probably want to do some DIY stuff on a higher quality skimmer to keep noise down.

At this point, I'd appreciate if people have any recommendations on places buy the appropriate plumbing equipment besides home depot, and any advice/tips and tricks about assembling the plumbing.

Also, any advice on moving from tank to tank, and getting things cured and ready to go as quickly as possible, given that I'm going from a 30 to a 150?

Thanks all for any help :)

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Z3n posted:

2x http://reefersdirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=569
Powerhead: Hydor Koralia Evolution Aquarium Circulation Pump (1050GPH)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036RXO5M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also have a smaller powerhead from the 30 gallon tank that I'll use to make sure there are no dead spots.

Thanks all for any help :)

Just as an FYI, you might need more powerheads depending on your flow requirements. I have a 150 (48 long, 24 wide, 30 deep) with three of the Koralia 1400s and three additional small Koralias (like, nano tank sized). The tank is not what I would describe as super turbulent.

That being said, I love the Koralias overall. Quiet, long lived, easy to take apart and clean.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Good to know...that's easy enough to fix!

What is the best way to determine if your tank has enough flow?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I think we just had a brief discussion about this a few posts up where someone posted a link to some study which showed that really, flow requirements are very light. Compared to what the study said the flow requirements were for corals in captivity, it seems like people are really going overboard.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Z3n posted:

Good to know...that's easy enough to fix!

What is the best way to determine if your tank has enough flow?

If your fish aren't flat against one wall, unable to move, you need another MP60.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Heh. I usually base it on coral health and detritus build up. I also have more SPS and other high flow corals, so your particular needs may indeed be much lower.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrYenko posted:

If your fish aren't flat against one wall, unable to move, you need another MP60.

Too much flow is just enough, got it. :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm asking this here, even though my shrimp are freshwater because I figure y'all have more experience with inverts. Does a rash of molting mean anything? My shrimp have been molting like crazy.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm asking this here, even though my shrimp are freshwater because I figure y'all have more experience with inverts. Does a rash of molting mean anything? My shrimp have been molting like crazy.

I'd imagine that there are a lot of knowledgeable hobbyists in the freshwater thread too. Saltwater shrimp have to molt to grow; so, perhaps your shrimp are merely growing a lot right now. At any rate, other than the risks inherent to molting; it's not a sign of poor health, disease or problems in general.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Rash of molting in a saltwater tank might mean you're putting "too much" iodine in. Which can be very loving bad if the shrimp isn't completely caught up on calcium/etc.-intake. This is a good way to kill fancy ornamental shrimps.

Although it's a decent way to maybe and hopefully save a shell-rotting mantis shrimp.

Not sure what it means in a freshwater tank!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Eifert Posting posted:

For what it's worth, I've noticed my freshwater shrimp would molt often after water changes. Since (in some species) female shrimp are often only fertile a little while after molting, mating tends to occur around this time. Usually, it's a sign of happy, healthy shrimp who're getting ready to do a boogaloo. I'd just keep an eye on it and check in on the water parameters now and then.

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012

I'm interested in any update photos you might have. Just began cycling my own nano-cube 28g CF quad with just two pounds of live rock, so I'm taking the month to read up and make decisions about how I'll want mine to look and run! In the meantime, just trying to figure out why one pump is audibly louder than the other. I'm OCD, I guess.

Unfortunately my tank crashed during the summer :( , (drat heatwave). Im in the process of restarting it and several hermit crab survived so im kinda happy about it!

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013
Sea Stars See!

TLDR: Sea stars can see large objects and light. Their visual range is probably less than four meters. They probably can't detect movement. Anyways, sea stars are cool and one day I will have a tank setup just to keep one alive.

By Christie Wilcox | January 7, 2014 10:13 pm

quote:

“All men by nature desire to know. An indication of this is the delight we take in our senses; for even apart from their usefulness they are loved for themselves; and above all others the sense of sight” – Aristotle

Human beings are very visual animals. We rely on our sight more than any of our other senses to interpret the world around us, which is why over the centuries many have argued (and many still do) that sight is our most important sense. But, of course, we aren’t the only species that can see. Arthropods are particularly known for their acute vision, as are squid, octopus and other cephalopods. Yet although we’ve known about sea star eye spots for hundreds of years, no one knew whether they, too, are able to see images. That is, no one knew until Drs. Anders Garm and Dan-Eric Nilsson decided to investigate.

Visual pigments are found in all animal lineages, first harnessed by prokaryotes to respond to changes in light more than 2.5 billion years ago. But the first complex eyes didn’t come on the scene until some 540 million years ago, when comb jellies, sponges and jellyfish were among the first to group photoreceptive cells and create light-sensitive ‘eyespots’. Many animals have eyespots—single cells or bundles of them packed with these light-sensing compounds that can measure light intensity. These primitive sensors allow them to distinguish light from dark, but don’t form images like our eyes do to visualize objects. It was clear early on that sea stars had this level of vision at least, and could respond to changes in light intensity. Almost all species of sea stars possess compound eyes at the end of each of their arms, much like the eyes of insects except that they lack lenses. Without such optical components, it was unclear whether sea star eyes merely act as eyespots or whether they are truly “eyes” that allow the animals to see.

The first step for Garm and Nilsson was to really, really look at sea star eyes—to investigate from the macro to micro level exactly what the compound eyes of these sea stars actually look like. They put Linckia laevigata sea stars under the microscope to describe their eye morphology in excruciating detail.

The sea stars eyes consist of pockets of photo-receptive cells with a single opening, allowing each eye to only detect about 210 degrees horizontally and 170 degrees vertically. But, given the position of the eye on each arm, this gives them a full view of their surroundings from the water’s surface to directly in front of them, with lots of overlap between the eyes on each arm. Because they only have one opsin (light-sensing protein), sea stars are color blind. And, based on morphology alone, the researchers determined that sea stars could only detect large objects. Because they lack lenses, the image seen by a sea star would be crude at best, like a picture with only 200 pixels. Further tests on the speed sensitivity of the eyes showed that responses to light are very slow, so any quick movements would go unnoticed, thus eliminating the possibility that they use eyes to find food, detect potential predators, or even find mates. Instead, these simple eyes would only be useful for identifying major, slow or non-moving structures, like coral heads. Recognizing objects is much more than simply detecting the intensity of light, explain Garm and Nilsson—it requires the ability to form an image. Thus if sea stars use their eyes to navigate, it’s strong evidence that they possess true vision.

But do sea stars use their eyes to see where they are? Garm and Nilsson designed an experiment to find out. They took sea stars and set them 1, 2 and 4 meters away from reef patches where the stars would much rather be. They then tracked each of the sea stars, determining whether they moved towards the reef or the open ocean. Then, to really see if the eyes were involved, they also performed the experiment with sea stars that had their eyes essentially poked out (surgically blinded).

When placed close to the reef, the stars moved quickly to get back. But from 4 meters away, the animals seemed to have trouble finding their reef home, moving at random, suggesting that this distance was too far for them to see across. This was further supported in the blinded stars—with their eyes surgically removed, even when they were placed a short meter from home, the sea stars wandered aimlessly.

Because the sea stars are only able to navigate visually from short distances away, sea star vision is likely used in a very limited capacity. It’s unlikely they use sight to look for new patches of reef, or to judge the relative quality of different reefs. Garm and Nilsson suggest that they probably only use their eyes to stay on the reef they’re on, making sure they don’t end up in a desolate sand patch where they would lack food and shelter.

Of course, other sea star eyes may be better than those of Linckia laevigata—some species, like the crown-of-thorns sea star (Acanthaster planci), move quickly to chase down prey. It’s possible that their eyes have evolved to see better than other sea stars, taking advantage of vision to track food. Further study of other species is needed to see find out.

Garm and Nilsson’s study is the first to demonstrate that sea stars not only are able to see objects, they use these eyes to locate and move towards habitat. While this is cool in its own right, the study also helps shed light on eye evolution and may lead to a better understanding of how visual senses arise.

Prevailing hypotheses on the evolution of eyes suggests that the first eyes would have been simple structures attached to simple nervous systems, allowing only for basic visual processing. One of the first visually guided behaviors may have been sensing habitat—which is exactly what Garm and Nilsson have found in these primitive animals.

“Our results here offer an example of a visual system at this early stage of evolution of true vision used for habitat recognition,” write the authors.

“From an evolutionary point of view it is interesting because the morphology of the starfish eyes along with their optical quality (quality of the image) is close to the theoretical eye early in eye evolution when image formation first appeared,” said Garm in a press release. “In this way it can help clarify what the first visual tasks were that drove this important step in eye evolution, namely navigation towards the preferred habitat using large stationary objects (here the reef).”

Sea stars eyes allow scientists to peer back in time and understand how animals first saw the world around them. The more we learn about primitive vision systems like the eyes of sea stars, the better we understand how our own complex visual system evolved.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

I watched my red sea star disintegrate about a month ago, now there are several small white sea stars cruising around in my tank. :confused:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Asterinas most likely. Pest or not, you decide.

LordHop
Oct 26, 2003
I read an article on the Triton Method today over on RB.
Anyone have any experience with it? Seems like another ULNS variant...

I don't have a sump so I am out (for now!)

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Welp.

My 150 gallon sprung a leak yesterday. I've spent the last 24 hours moving livestock, draining water and trying to do damage control.

Avoid this outcome if at all possible. While exciting, it is not at all enjoyable.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Castaign posted:

Welp.

My 150 gallon sprung a leak yesterday. I've spent the last 24 hours moving livestock, draining water and trying to do damage control.

Avoid this outcome if at all possible. While exciting, it is not at all enjoyable.

A bit of an understatement, I'm thinking. Sorry to hear about your troubles though.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Yes, this hasn't been a great day.

On the upside, I've gotten clear confirmation that my local fish store is, indeed, totally awesome. They immediately set me up with free loaner tanks and bins to transfer my live rock and live stock into, and they're going to bat with the manufacturer to get me a free replacement tank and stand. Can't really ask for better customer service.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Castaign posted:

On the upside, I've gotten clear confirmation that my local fish store is, indeed, totally awesome. They immediately set me up with free loaner tanks and bins to transfer my live rock and live stock into, and they're going to bat with the manufacturer to get me a free replacement tank and stand. Can't really ask for better customer service.

Jesus. That's customer-for-life territory right there. Specially seeing as the stores around me seem to see their customers as nothing more than wallets with legs.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Jesus. That's customer-for-life territory right there. Specially seeing as the stores around me seem to see their customers as nothing more than wallets with legs.

Yeah, they are pretty much totally awesome. I've always been impressed with the fact that they will flat out refuse to sell fish, corals and inverts to people if the prospective client's tank is not ready or unsuitable for the animal in question, but this is a few steps above what I would ever expect from a business. They definitely have me as a customer for life.

For any of you in the Athens/Atlanta area in Georgia, the store in question is Aquarium Outfitters. Their site (http://www.aquarium-outfitters.com/) is currently down for maintenance, but technical issues aside, I really and truly can't recommend them enough.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is like my worst loving nightmare. Seriously, I have reoccuring dreams where I wake up to the sound of my tank shattering and 90g+ end up on the floor. My wife and I built our stand, and while I think we did a fantastic job, there is always something in the back of my mind telling me it could easily happen. Goondolences.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

That is like my worst loving nightmare. Seriously, I have reoccuring dreams where I wake up to the sound of my tank shattering and 90g+ end up on the floor. My wife and I built our stand, and while I think we did a fantastic job, there is always something in the back of my mind telling me it could easily happen. Goondolences.

Thanks. I know what you mean about the recurring dreams of tank disaster; I've had those same bad dreams.

I guess the plus side to all of this is that it was a slow leak rather than a total structural failure. The tank is in my second floor office, so an actual break would have flooded the house. I'd guess it was letting go at about half a gallon an hour and I caught it early, so I was able to save most of the livestock and avoid doing major damage to the house.

The worst part of it right now is trying to keep 150 gallons worth of livestock alive and healthy in a 36 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 15 gallon and an 8 gallon. So far I've lost two pearly jawfish, a clown goby, a fire urchin, several serpent stars and my little green mandarin. :cripes:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, Castaign. Talk about a nightmare. Glad to hear you avoided total catastrophe. So, the bryopsis has pretty much disappeared after going through all 16 fl oz of the Tech M coupled with a few weeks of lights off. I had to manually remove strands and clean the glass and back wall but with the lights on it hasn't made a return in a week so far. I haven't done a single water change since I started cycling since I wanted to keep the magnesium levels up and there's no bio load in the tank (RIP turbo snails). Now a new hair algae strangled my chaeto and bloomed in the tank, but it seems very easy to keep under control and I'm assuming the chaeto dying off fueled the initial growth. The new algae has long, soft green strands that don't branch and are clear of any feathering which is why I assume it isn't the bryopsis. I have a new bottle of Tech M coming in tomorrow, so the plan is 25% water changes weekly for a month while keeping the magnesium levels up. Then some larger changes to get magnesium back to normal, a test for ammonia/nitrates and my first fish!

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

My SO has just found an Oceanic 120 gallon with stand for $200 through a co-worker. He just upgraded to a 180 and just wants it out of his garage. He is also throwing in lots of dead rock and sand. This is a great deal and I'm not crazy, right? We're going to see it tomorrow after work. I've been told it needs to be cleaned, but is otherwise in perfect condition.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Is it an Oceanic Tech series? Either way it is a good deal if everything is in perfect condition. Oceanic systems were built like, err, tanks and it was sad to see them leave the market.

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

Wandering Orange posted:

Is it an Oceanic Tech series? Either way it is a good deal if everything is in perfect condition. Oceanic systems were built like, err, tanks and it was sad to see them leave the market.

Not a Tech series. According to him, it was bought by his brother in 1993. Also, with the dimensions I was given, I'm pretty sure it's a 155 gallon not a 120- 7'x18"x24". Anyone want to check my math?

I figure with a tank that old we'll probably want to strip the old silicone and reseal it. Still a good deal? Guess I'll know more about the condition tomorrow.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Man, Castaign. Talk about a nightmare. Glad to hear you avoided total catastrophe. So, the bryopsis has pretty much disappeared after going through all 16 fl oz of the Tech M coupled with a few weeks of lights off. I had to manually remove strands and clean the glass and back wall but with the lights on it hasn't made a return in a week so far. I haven't done a single water change since I started cycling since I wanted to keep the magnesium levels up and there's no bio load in the tank (RIP turbo snails). Now a new hair algae strangled my chaeto and bloomed in the tank, but it seems very easy to keep under control and I'm assuming the chaeto dying off fueled the initial growth. The new algae has long, soft green strands that don't branch and are clear of any feathering which is why I assume it isn't the bryopsis. I have a new bottle of Tech M coming in tomorrow, so the plan is 25% water changes weekly for a month while keeping the magnesium levels up. Then some larger changes to get magnesium back to normal, a test for ammonia/nitrates and my first fish!

Those long strands sound like bryopsis after the feathers fall off. At least, that description sounds like the bryopsis I had after the magnesium is elevated. You want to keep the levels elevated until those strands disappear too or the bryopsis will come back after a couple of months. After thinking about it for a while, the next time I get bryopsis in a tank I'm just going to take the rock out and light it on fire. The same goes for aiptasia.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Russian Dollies posted:

Not a Tech series. According to him, it was bought by his brother in 1993. Also, with the dimensions I was given, I'm pretty sure it's a 155 gallon not a 120- 7'x18"x24". Anyone want to check my math?

I figure with a tank that old we'll probably want to strip the old silicone and reseal it. Still a good deal? Guess I'll know more about the condition tomorrow.

It's probably an Oceanic 135 at 72"x18"x24". Any indication if it's reef ready?

Twenty years is a long time for silicone so a reseal is a good idea. That may lower the awesomeness of the deal since it is a pain in the rear end scraping old silicone but as long as the structural seams are still good, it isn't a difficult job. Hopefully 'it needs to be cleaned' just means micro algae film on the glass and not coralline encrusted everywhere. That's another PITA.

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

Wandering Orange posted:

It's probably an Oceanic 135 at 72"x18"x24". Any indication if it's reef ready?

It was used as a reef tank, but it's not drilled. He used a hob and sump setup. I believe he said the glass was 5/8" inch thick. If that's true it should be easy enough to plumb it.

We actually have a secret hidden room in the basement of our house, and we're talking about running the plumbing through the wall into that room and setting it up for all the aquarium gear. That's a ways off though.

Edit: He has also offered to frag off some coral for us from his 180 once we get this set up. I'm kind of excited to get over there and see what he has. :)

Russian Dollies fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 17, 2014

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013
Mantis shrimp's super colour vision debunked

quote:

Mantis shrimp's super colour vision debunked
One of the animal kingdom’s most complex eyes is really quite simple.

Jessica Morrison
23 January 2014

Mantis shrimp don’t see colour like we do. Although the crustaceans have many more types of light-detecting cell than humans, their ability to discriminate between colours is limited, says a report published today in Science.

Researchers found that the mantis shrimp’s colour vision relies on a simple, efficient and previously unknown mechanism that operates at the level of individual photoreceptors. The results upend scientists' suspicions that the shrimp, with 12 different types of colour photoreceptors, could see hues that humans, with just 3, could not, says study co-author Justin Marshall, a marine neuroscientist at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia.

When the human eye sees a yellow leaf, photoreceptors send signals to the brain announcing relative levels of stimuli: receptors sensitive to red and green light report a lot of activity, whereas receptors sensitive to blue light report little. The brain compares the information from each type of receptor to come up with yellow. Using this system, the human eye can distinguish between millions of different colours.

Rainbow connection
To test whether the mantis shrimp, with its 12 receptors, can distinguish many more, Marshall's team trained shrimp of the species Haptosquilla trispinosa to recognize one of ten specific colour wavelengths, ranging from 400 to 650 nanometres, by showing them two colours and giving them a frozen prawn or mussel when they picked the right one. In subsequent testing, the shrimp could discriminate between their trained wavelengths and another colour 50–100 nanometres up or down the spectrum. But when the difference between the trained and test wavelengths was reduced to 12–25 nanometres, the shrimp could no longer tell them apart.

If the shrimp eye compared adjacent spectra, like the human eye does, it would have allowed the animals to discriminate between wavelengths as close as 1–5 nanometres, the authors say. Instead, each type of photoreceptor seems to pick up a specific colour, identifying it in a way that is less sensitive than the human eye but does not require brain-power-heavy comparisons. That probably gives the predatory shrimp a speed advantage in distinguishing between different-coloured prey, says Roy Caldwell, a behavioural ecologist at the University of California, Berkeley.

Michael Bok, a biologist at Lund University in Sweden who studies vision, says that the work is an important step towards understanding the incredible complexity of the mantis-shrimp eye. “The next step, really, is to figure out what these visual signals tell the brain and how the brain uses these signals.”

Nature doi:10.1038/nature.2014.14578

Fast visual processing does seem like a nice evolutionary advantage instead of seeing lots of colors. It's easy to understand how the former could be helpful to a predator whereas color differences would be helpful for something with really specific food preferences which doesn't seem to be the case for mantis shrimp.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Castaign posted:

I had a shop like this and they closed. If I were you I'd be telling everyone I knew to buy a tank from that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I'm hoping someone here can help me with this. I'm looking for an old article or forum post about a guy who found a 8-10 foot long bristle worm in his tank so I can show it to a friend, and despite somehow stumbling upon it a few times over the years, can't find it anywhere. Any ideas?

• Locked thread