Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there a way to disable Safari's "Power Saving" click to play?
I already have ClickToFlash installed and this is on a tower besides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Is there a way to disable Safari's "Power Saving" click to play?
Safari > Preferences... > Advanced > Internet plug-ins > Stop plug-ins to save power

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
VM talk: I never use the Fusion features of making Windows applications appear on the dock or such, but I just prefer VMware since I can easily migrate my VMs to my Windows machines at home in a pinch.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jeeves posted:

VM talk: I never use the Fusion features of making Windows applications appear on the dock or such, but I just prefer VMware since I can easily migrate my VMs to my Windows machines at home in a pinch.
Are you using Windows VMs? I've been wondering if there's activation/DRM issues when moving a VM around.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Safari > Preferences... > Advanced > Internet plug-ins > Stop plug-ins to save power

Speaking of this is there any way to add exceptions. There is a list of sites that start automatically but I have no idea how they got there. There also seem to be some issues like sometimes it doesn't show the notification that something has stopped and clicking on it doesn't work.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I'd like my Time Capsule backups to only happen twice a day or so (as opposed to hourly). Does anyone know if this definitively works?

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/02/change-the-time-machine-backup-schedule/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lexicon posted:

I'd like my Time Capsule backups to only happen twice a day or so (as opposed to hourly). Does anyone know if this definitively works?

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/02/change-the-time-machine-backup-schedule/

I just use Time Machine Editor instead of writing out all that stuff, works great and I edited my Time Machine to back up one in the morning and once at night. Pretty much works on all Time Machine-enabled OS Xs.

Caveat is that you have to turn Time Machine off in the control panel.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

japtor posted:

Are you using Windows VMs? I've been wondering if there's activation/DRM issues when moving a VM around.

None from what I've seen on WinXP / Win7. It thinks it is pretty much the same hardware. I only saw it install a different driver for a Core 2 Duo versus i5 base Mac.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

jeeves posted:

None from what I've seen on WinXP / Win7. It thinks it is pretty much the same hardware. I only saw it install a different driver for a Core 2 Duo versus i5 base Mac.

Your windows can request a new activation if you change a lot the VM configuration, I don't remember the exact changes that trigger a deactivation, but it happened to me in the past. IIRC there is a "tolerance" with changes (ie, just adding more memory won't trigger it, but adding more memory and changing the virtual network card and something else COULD do it).

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Is there an alternative to MacTheRipper that works on 10.9?

Just looking to decode DVDs, not transcode video.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

admiraldennis posted:

Do you want an ISO or just the streams? MakeMKV is what I use for Blu-Ray ripping, and I believe it does DVD as well if you're feeling nostalgic.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

admiraldennis posted:

MacDVDRipperPro is what you want if you don't mind spending $25. It gets regular updates (last was yesterday!) and works for me on 10.9.1. You can even download a free trial that lets you rip 5 DVDs before nagging you.

Scroll through their website and watch the DVD follow your focus :)

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Both of these look super useful, thanks dudes!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

admiraldennis posted:

I use this and like it: http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Apologies if this should go in Haus of Tech Support, but I have a question about OS X Server.

I work for a small video production/post house, with less than ten employees, and we're pretty much a Mac-dominated business. As assitant editor, I'm in charge of most of our hardware, but I've never had training for system administration or I.T. or anything. That said, I've been charged with getting one of our spare Mac Pros (an early '09 model) to act as a server for the office. For now, its primary function will be to serve as a unified Calendar server. My predecessor began this process over a year ago and got fired before it really got off the ground, and I'm fairly out of my element here.

I started doing research and the Mavericks version of OS X Server seemed like the best way to start. So I installed Mavericks and the newest OS X Server. It previously had Mountain Lion and OS X Server Mountain Lion installed on it, so during the upgrade it carried over the previous server settings, but this machine wasn't being used for server purposes yet. It was basically just sitting there. Since the machine was previously tied to the business owner's personal Apple ID, I started by making a new Apple ID and changing the name of the server to reflect that. Now the host name is companyname-server.local and computer name is CompanyName Server. Then I flipped the switch for Calendar service to ON. Aaaand that's as far as I've gotten. I think I'll have to get a new DNS certificate for people to access it outside of work, but for now, intranet service would be fine. Eventually they'd like to be able to view/edit the calendar from home via iCal/Calendar on home laptops or with their iPhones/iPads.

I've hit a brick wall and I'm not sure what to do next. Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial or maybe feel up to consultation over skype or facetime?

Thanks!

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 29, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I used to use RipIt but it chokes on some of the newer releases; it also hasn't been updated since August of 2012. MDRP was updated yesterday.

RipIt might be good for older stuff picked up from a bargain bin.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DammitJanet posted:

Apologies if this should go in Haus of Tech Support, but I have a question about OS X Server.

I work for a small video production/post house, with less than ten employees, and we're pretty much a Mac-dominated business. As assitant editor, I'm in charge of most of our hardware, but I've never had training for system administration or I.T. or anything. That said, I've been charged with getting one of our spare Mac Pros (an early '09 model) to act as a server for the office. For now, its primary function will be to serve as a unified Calendar server. My predecessor began this process over a year ago and got fired before it really got off the ground, and I'm fairly out of my element here.

I started doing research and the Mavericks version of OS X Server seemed like the best way to start. So I installed Mavericks and the newest OS X Server. It previously had Mountain Lion and OS X Server Mountain Lion installed on it, so during the upgrade it carried over the previous server settings, but this machine wasn't being used for server purposes yet. It was basically just sitting there. Since the machine was previously tied to the business owner's personal Apple ID, I started by making a new Apple ID and changing the name of the server to reflect that. Now the host name is companyname-server.local and computer name is CompanyName Server. Then I flipped the switch for Calendar service to ON. Aaaand that's as far as I've gotten. I think I'll have to get a new DNS certificate for people to access it outside of work, but for now, intranet service would be fine. Eventually they'd like to be able to view/edit the calendar from home via iCal/Calendar on home laptops or with their iPhones/iPads.

I've hit a brick wall and I'm not sure what to do next. Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial or maybe feel up to consultation over skype or facetime?

Thanks!

Who provides your company email? Setting up OS X server on an old workstation to provide calendaring isn't ideal.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Caged posted:

Who provides your company email? Setting up OS X server on an old workstation to provide calendaring isn't ideal.

Bluehost.

It may get used for more than that at some point, but the idea is that the server machine will then become our business manager's main desktop as she's primarily responsible for scheduling/bookings. So when she makes changes, iCal on all our other machines should update to reflect those changes, etc. That's really all we need it to do for the time being. I have no doubts that it's not an ideal solution, but I'm trying to just get it working to get them off my back (as well as learning some new skills). :)

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 29, 2014

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've got a bunch (~200 gig) of high quality mp3 recordings that I want to archive and reduce in size. I know I can drop them into iTunes and do it that way but its a bit of a pain, but is there a drag and drop solution or something?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

I've got a bunch (~200 gig) of high quality mp3 recordings that I want to archive and reduce in size. I know I can drop them into iTunes and do it that way but its a bit of a pain, but is there a drag and drop solution or something?

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone else been running into thunderbolt Ethernet adapters that won't come up when waking from sleep? So aggravating.

japtor posted:

There isn't. The virtual hardware doesn't change.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah that's what I figured but wanted confirmation.

DammitJanet posted:

Bluehost.

It may get used for more than that at some point, but the idea is that the server machine will then become our business manager's main desktop as she's primarily responsible for scheduling/bookings. So when she makes changes, iCal on all our other machines should update to reflect those changes, etc. That's really all we need it to do for the time being. I have no doubts that it's not an ideal solution, but I'm trying to just get it working to get them off my back (as well as learning some new skills). :)
I figure Caged might be suggesting what I'm about to suggest, use an external service like you do with email (if not just the same service if applicable). Your manager's use doesn't need to be on the same machine as the server at all (and for various reasons probably shouldn't be) so that's kinda moot.

With that out of the way...I have no experience with OS X Server so can't help you out :eng99:.

But if you're willing to use whatever random service, she'd just make a calendar for herself and the rest of y'all Calendar apps would be subscribed to it with the right link shared around. If everyone needs edit access that's possible too but will vary depending on service I think.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
As much as I hate asking a question I imagine has been asked a million times: How can I make Adobe reader not perform terribly? Reading textbooks on a 2013 MBA is almost impossible because of lag.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Binary Badger posted:

I used to use RipIt but it chokes on some of the newer releases; it also hasn't been updated since August of 2012. MDRP was updated yesterday.

Didn't notice/realize that. Thanks for the tip.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Oceanlife posted:

As much as I hate asking a question I imagine has been asked a million times: How can I make Adobe reader not perform terribly? Reading textbooks on a 2013 MBA is almost impossible because of lag.

Why do you need Adobe Reader?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

benisntfunny posted:

I imagine he's using a PDF textbook that's locked into it. I had to suffer through that same experience during my last semester of school as well.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

benisntfunny posted:

I would be very happy to never use it again.

Which reader would you recommend?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cyne posted:

I imagine he's using a PDF textbook that's locked into it. I had to suffer through that same experience during my last semester of school as well.
I remember having to deal with that once. Ended up just doing some print loophole to get an unprotected PDF out of it though :v:

(Unfortunately none of my other books throughout my program were available through the same store :saddowns:)

Oceanlife posted:

I would be very happy to never use it again.

Which reader would you recommend?
If you don't need anything particular in it, try the built in Preview app?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
There's this one loving form I use for Dungeons and Dragons that doesn't render right in Preview. So I have Adobe Reader installed for that and only that. And it sucks balls.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Anyone else been running into thunderbolt Ethernet adapters that won't come up when waking from sleep? So aggravating.

Yeah, I've been having this very problem on a new 13 inch rMBP. Seems to be a problem with using a static IPv4 address at work, and it only occurs when I'm on battery. It is definitely aggravating. If you have multiple Locations set up under Preferences > Network you can toggle between them to get the adapter to wake up without having to remove it and plug it back in. Please post if you find a better solution!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Without much ado posted:

Yeah, I've been having this very problem on a new 13 inch rMBP. Seems to be a problem with using a static IPv4 address at work, and it only occurs when I'm on battery. It is definitely aggravating. If you have multiple Locations set up under Preferences > Network you can toggle between them to get the adapter to wake up without having to remove it and plug it back in. Please post if you find a better solution!
I wrote a en4 down && en4 up script for that user, but it's a retarded problem to be having in 2014

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 30, 2014

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Thanks, this worked perfectly.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

japtor posted:

I remember having to deal with that once. Ended up just doing some print loophole to get an unprotected PDF out of it though :v:

(Unfortunately none of my other books throughout my program were available through the same store :saddowns:)

If you don't need anything particular in it, try the built in Preview app?

There's also a suite of software called DeDRM that'll strip off DRM off protected PDFs so you can read it in whatever PDF reader you like and maintains the metadata, TOC, page numbers, and whatnot. Just doing that to not have Adobe Reader installed is worth it as is using Skim instead.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Is there anyway to get my MacBook to stay connected to the wifi when its sleeping, in the manner of a tablet? Constantly resetting the wireless when I wake the laptop is getting annoying. I don't think Power Nap is enough; it happens even when the computer is plugged in and I have Power Nap on when its plugged in.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

wdarkk posted:

There's this one loving form I use for Dungeons and Dragons that doesn't render right in Preview. So I have Adobe Reader installed for that and only that. And it sucks balls.

Tried skim?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Text I enter in the form looks offset to the field it was entered in, making it really hard to read tables. That's the same thing preview does.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
I'm currently trying to log in to the Apple discussions forum, but keep getting stuck in a loop at this point:

I can enter anything in the Username field, and it just returns me to the same form, with variants of "username is already taken" or "An account utilizing this email address already exists" error messages.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

wdarkk posted:

Text I enter in the form looks offset to the field it was entered in, making it really hard to read tables. That's the same thing preview does.

This is because Skim uses the native OS X PDF renderer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

Is there anyway to get my MacBook to stay connected to the wifi when its sleeping, in the manner of a tablet? Constantly resetting the wireless when I wake the laptop is getting annoying. I don't think Power Nap is enough; it happens even when the computer is plugged in and I have Power Nap on when its plugged in.
You shouldn't have to do that (it should just connect automatically), might be some other random wireless issue you're dealing with...in which case I have no clue what to do other than wait for 10.9.2. For now maybe try going into System Prefs-Network and remove and manually add the wireless network, making sure to check the save password/remember network box(es?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Switzerland posted:

I'm currently trying to log in to the Apple discussions forum, but keep getting stuck in a loop at this point:

I can enter anything in the Username field, and it just returns me to the same form, with variants of "username is already taken" or "An account utilizing this email address already exists" error messages.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I ran into something like this with an older AppleID that I wanted to start using again that was never transitioned from a username/password to an email/password. Might be something similar. I had to actually call Apple support to fix it.