Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Gonna be a shame when As Nodt dies. Kubo really outdid himself with that design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
I agree. I dig the horror-ish, creepshow factor.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Woozey posted:

Weren't the pills distributed via teleportation of some kind? Where Byakuya actually was at the time may not have been a problem then.

Yes pills were sent to everyone with a bankai. (people with hollow powers may not need a pill.)

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
One of the pills was sent directly to Omaeda and not Soi Fong if I recall correctly.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Wasn't Soi Fong incapacitated at that moment so she wouldn't have been able to take it anyway?

I'm sure Byakuya got his since one of the first things As Nodt says is "I miss my Senbonzakura" which really implies that he doesn't have it anymore.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Honest Ray posted:

I mean, no offense, but how can you not remember these things?

And people say Kubo can't remember anything.

I realize that is her brother's name, but when I try to recall him I come up with nothing.

Actually given time now I feel like I remember something where some guy died horribly but there's so many of them now nothing really has weight to it. Then, some of them come back and it's like "psh I was fine, flesh wound bro"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man if you were talking about almost anyone else I'd understand, but Byakuya was pretty much the main villain of the arc that made Bleach famous. You not remembering him says more about you than Bleach.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah I have no idea what to say to someone who forgot a character who was the main villain of the best arc, then got fights in both the Hueco Mundo arc and the Fullbringer arc, then wait he also got a fight in this arc and was one of four people who went to Upper Soul Soceity. He's gotten major screentime. I almost understand if you don't remember who Omaeda or Isane are but you must have slept through most of Bleach.

Not that anyone could blame you.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well.
It could lead to a bit of intrigue, if Kubo has much foresight at all.

Urahara would show up after the wars done and one of the zero squad confronts him, talking about how something teleported into the king's realm. Urahara would play coy as always, Kubo shades the gently caress out of his face and smirk.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It'd be interesting if Rukia won not by hitting Äs Nodt with a bigger stick (so to speak), but just by bluffing until he shits his pants.
It'd be clever and something someone with ice powers would do.

Speaking of ice powers, whatever happened to Buzzbee?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Ice Powers = bluffing

I'm not seeing the correlation.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

tsob posted:

Ice Powers = bluffing

Ice powers have always been woefully ineffective so every time it gets busted out it a bluff to conflate style with power.

(Aaroneiro was killed with a stab in the head, don't go there :nyd:)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

TheHan posted:

It'd be interesting if Rukia won not by hitting Äs Nodt with a bigger stick (so to speak), but just by bluffing until he shits his pants.
It'd be clever and something someone with ice powers would do.

Speaking of ice powers, whatever happened to Buzzbee?

Bazz-B managed to avoid execution because Cang-Du (who stole Hitsugaya's bankai) insisted on finishing the short white haired bastard off. So he's still around somewhere.

tsob posted:

Ice Powers = bluffing

Probably relating to ice-cold = emotionless = can bluff on the fact that having no emotions means having no fear at all.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I want Rukia to defy the shounen manga gods and bust out her upgrade first and take someone down like it's One Punch Man, instead of the bullshit 'oh you beat my power and then powered up, I will power up a SECOND time haahaha'.

The whole 'whoever powers up first loses' thing is dumb.

Let Rukia pull a Kenpachi and wipe out As Nodt without a single bit of trouble.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Advice posted:

Yeah I have no idea what to say to someone who forgot a character who was the main villain of the best arc, then got fights in both the Hueco Mundo arc and the Fullbringer arc, then wait he also got a fight in this arc and was one of four people who went to Upper Soul Soceity. He's gotten major screentime. I almost understand if you don't remember who Omaeda or Isane are but you must have slept through most of Bleach.

Not that anyone could blame you.

TBH the arcs I remember the most are Hueco Mundo, Aizen, bits and pieces between that and fullbringer....and this recent stuff.

Ironically I don't have the same issues with say like Berserk or naruto or whatever.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I want Rukia to defy the shounen manga gods and bust out her upgrade first and take someone down like it's One Punch Man, instead of the bullshit 'oh you beat my power and then powered up, I will power up a SECOND time haahaha'.

That would be pretty anti-climatic for As Nodt. During the initial invasion, he was literally the only Sternritter that wasn't a Buckbeard to get a decisive victory against a captain. Everyone else just stared at each other and traded blows offpanel. Okay yes Old Man (I'm guessing he's C, I wonder where he's been) got one of Kyoraku's eyes when he let his guard down, but that's about it.

And yes, the "Your ultimate power-up is worthless" reversal where the person who held out on using their final power-up loses almost always happens abruptly like that. But I don't see Rukia pulling a "fuckin' boring."

Then again, it would get us past this part faster, so I'm all for it. :v:

*edit*

Best example of power-up fail::shepface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh1gvf3LX1U
And the icing on the cake is the subversion of the failed attack concealing smoke. :allears:

And yes you could argue it's not a subversion at all and falls right in line with the "first to play their hand loses" but SHUTUP

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 31, 2014

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Didn't rukia already power up by going to Shikai? She calls sode no shirayuki to block the spikes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Bleach Manga Thread 15: YHWACH's Witnesses.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Darth TNT posted:

Didn't rukia already power up by going to Shikai? She calls sode no shirayuki to block the spikes.

Nah, we've seen her Shikai before. Power ups in shounen verse is 'sudden gain of power we haven't seen.' So if she pulls out Bankai before As Nodt goes into his supermode (I forget the name of it) then she'll lose by the law of 'he who shows his power first loses'

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

KittyEmpress posted:

Nah, we've seen her Shikai before. Power ups in shounen verse is 'sudden gain of power we haven't seen.' So if she pulls out Bankai before As Nodt goes into his supermode (I forget the name of it) then she'll lose by the law of 'he who shows his power first loses'

Vollstandig I believe

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

tsob posted:

Ice Powers = bluffing

It could go the Medaka Box route, and Rukia uses her ice powers to keep a cool head to better bluff As Nodt.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't care that we've seen it before, but I'd like Rukia to legitimize her place as a strong heir of the Kuchiki clan by busting out some form of White Imperial Sword.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Since it's at least a day after Renji and Rukia landed, where is Ichigo? Is he still in transit? He's been falling for a over a day? I wonder if he's had a nap on the way down.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The_Frag_Man posted:

Since it's at least a day after Renji and Rukia landed, where is Ichigo? Is he still in transit? He's been falling for a over a day? I wonder if he's had a nap on the way down.

Who?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
He had to take the stairs for some reason. Essentially, he's still running down snake way.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Ichigo's done that so many times already. It would be hilarious if, just when things were starting to look grim, someone says "Don't worry, Ichigo will be here any moment, and he'll wipe the floor with you guys! Just you wait! You'll see!" and then for once it turns out he'd already gotten there and been defeated without anyone realizing. :krad:

Granted that requires things to get grim before Ichigo shows up, which doesn't seem likely.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zogundar posted:

Best example of power-up fail::shepface:
Holy crap that is so well animated. I feel like i'm watching something closer to a movie than a serials by today's anime's animation standards..

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Bisse posted:

Holy crap that is so well animated. I feel like i'm watching something closer to a movie than a serials by today's anime's animation standards..

Early Bleach is legitimately one of the best shonen animes out there.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SerSpook posted:

Early Bleach is legitimately one of the best shonen animes out there.
Until the end of the rescue arc. Things looked like they would have been great -- The reveal of Aizen as the main villains was great but then the series lasted way too loving long and there was a lot of stuff that dragged on for no reason. The Huco Mundo arc didn't need to happen at all, could have skipped straight to the Winter War or whatever and been alright. Orihime isn't even of any significance anymore anyway.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
It's probably better for pacing that we didn't dive right into the a Winter War, and it probably built it up more that we spent a lot of time getting there, but Hueco Mundo was a pretty awful arc. Specifically the fights against pointless and newly introduced double digit Arrancar.

The Grimmjow fight is probably my favorite in the entire series, though. So much buildup and a totally satisfying payoff, especially with the extreme desperation felt after realizing Ichigo went through all that training to just barely best Grimmjow who's like the fifth strongest lackey of a superstrong madman. The moment when Nnoitra shows up, the moment when Kenpachi shows up, the whole last leg of that arc is amazing and on par with Soul society in my opinion.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Advice posted:

It's probably better for pacing that we didn't dive right into the a Winter War, and it probably built it up more that we spent a lot of time getting there, but Hueco Mundo was a pretty awful arc. Specifically the fights against pointless and newly introduced double digit Arrancar.

The Grimmjow fight is probably my favorite in the entire series, though. So much buildup and a totally satisfying payoff, especially with the extreme desperation felt after realizing Ichigo went through all that training to just barely best Grimmjow who's like the fifth strongest lackey of a superstrong madman. The moment when Nnoitra shows up, the moment when Kenpachi shows up, the whole last leg of that arc is amazing and on par with Soul society in my opinion.

Yeah the triple digit arrancar fights and constant running away from Ulq was dragging that arc down. It's a whole arc that transforms Ichigo from the Super Confident punk to a punk rear end bitch who is scared of himself.

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 2, 2014

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Kubo should have just let Chad, Ishida, and Renji fight the various Espada rather than having the captains come to save the day. Each of them had been pretty well established during the soul society arc.

Since none of them really accomplished anything that arc was almost nothing but fanservice as the payoff.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zogundar posted:

example of power-up fail::shepface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh1gvf3LX1U
And the icing on the cake is the subversion of the failed attack concealing smoke. :allears:

And yes you could argue it's not a subversion at all and falls right in line with the "first to play their hand loses" but SHUTUP

I had forgotten how awesome letzt still was. I remember hoping that Ishida would reach that level through the story naturally. The form is powerfull enough to do it, i mean he trounced Mayuri with bankai while poisoned. Unfortunately he appears to only have gotten weaker.
It is fun to see the first time spirit subjugation was used.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

the series lasted way too loving long and there was a lot of stuff that dragged on for no reason.

Pretty much the only problem that bleach has really had is the pacing. All of those things that seem like they didn't need to be there at all would be fine if they just didn't take so long to get through. I really hope that when the manga is done they go back and animate it all without having to worry about pacing, so we don't get a scene from the manga that should occupy 2 minutes of an episode being stretched to 10, I totally understand why the anime was like that(because otherwise you get too close to the manga and risk running out of material to animate) but it made for lovely viewing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

lohli posted:

Pretty much the only problem that bleach has really had is the pacing. All of those things that seem like they didn't need to be there at all would be fine if they just didn't take so long to get through. I really hope that when the manga is done they go back and animate it all without having to worry about pacing, so we don't get a scene from the manga that should occupy 2 minutes of an episode being stretched to 10, I totally understand why the anime was like that(because otherwise you get too close to the manga and risk running out of material to animate) but it made for lovely viewing.
Well the other issue is that a whole chapter of Bleach can be told in about 10 minutes of an Anime because sometimes it's just one single conversation or one single part of a fight that doesn't last long :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, one of the Soul Society chapters that always stood out to me just because of how cinematic it is but also how short a time period it covers is at the end of the Renji and Byakuya fight, because the entire chapter covers a space of a few seconds where Renji decides to get back up and try and hit Byakuya again. I think it's probably the one he manages to scratch him. It's presumably 18 pages, but realistically only covers a few seconds of time and even with dramatic pausing and other directorial flourishes should only cover maybe 30 seconds or so tops. And that's with a lot of flourish. There's probably quite a few other chapters in fights that should realistically only cover a couple of minutes tops.

Edit: Having just read the chapter again it's not quite as brief as I had recalled because there is both a one and a half page flashback and a cut to Rukia at the end that could add another minute or two, but it's still only 3 minutes or so of content tops.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 2, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

lohli posted:

It's pretty much the biggest downside to Bleach.
Even the Manga's pacing is horrid at times. Seriously it should have been a fortnightly release from the get go.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hueco Mundo's biggest problem was how loving long the Szayel fight dragged on. It had a halfway decent payoff with Mayuri but my god, everything prior to him showing up is just useless fluff.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That's the single worst fight I can think of in any medium off the top of my head. I don't even care how good the end of the fight is in most people's estimation, it's length and how completely pointless the majority of it is taints it beyond redemption to me. In my mind it drags on for like 20+ chapters. I'm assuming it's something more reasonable like 5 to 10, but whenever I think of it it seems as interminably long as Mayuri's final trick on Syazel.

Maybe that's the point? Maybe Kubo meant to do it and it's all a really weird but effective piece of art direction. It's still not worth it though. God drat did that stretch suck. It was enough to actually put me off Bleach for a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Don't really see the problem with Szayel's fight. Was mostly going on alongside other things. Pre-Mayuri it had a bit of Ishida trickery & cool quincy stuff and enough wtf moments to be kept relatively engaging (Shinigami voodoo dolls and Arrancar cannibalism anyone?).

With Mayuri it was 1) hilarious, 2) still weird and 3) Szayel got a satisfyingly nasty end for such a sick motherfucker.

I'll take a Szayel fight anyday over Hitsugaya bragging about another big ice attack that'll do nothing but temporarily freeze someone who will escape.

• Locked thread