Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Dex posted:

Yeah hmm it's almost like benny's the kind of weirdo broken child who would try to take his parents to court over comic books or something.

This laundry list of inadequacies is the exactly why I suggested Benny may be better off just filing for disability. No matter how simple or repetitive a boring, easy job might seem to the average person, for Benny it will always hypothetically be that shopping carpark full to capacity with buggies flyinng everywhere.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

vxskud posted:

I have trouble believing you can't get even a little work through a temp agency, I've worked for several over the years and most of the time they had a place for me within a few days at most.

The turn over at those places is staggering.

This has not been my experience or the experience of others I know who have tried to temp.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

BrainParasite posted:

This has not been my experience or the experience of others I know who have tried to temp.

It must be very location-dependent. Where is Benny located?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Starter Wiggin posted:

As the one year anniversary approaches, I thought I'd take stock of what I've accomplished since Benny's has begun his journey. In the last year I have completed my AmeriCorps term of service, applied to countless jobs, been offered 7, accepted 1 and am moving states this week for my new job.
Come on Benny, give us some good news for the anniversary, we've all earned it.

Yeah, it's weird to think about. In this last year, I moved, quit my old job, got a new job, got a raise at the new job, and got married to boot.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Lol goons will use any loving chance they get to talk about their lovely lives and the mundane things they accomplish in them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Minimalist Program posted:

Lol goons will use any loving chance they get to talk about their lovely lives and the mundane things they accomplish in them.

I stayed at my job and got a green card. Three citizenships, coming up.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mellophant posted:

It seems like you're sabotaging yourself on purpose by this point.

Oh yeah right, like Benny could do anything on purpose. I think this thread is a testament to his inability to succeed in the most basic of fashion.

Benny - that's the ticket! Stop trying to be successful, and start intending to fail. With your uncanny ability to gently caress up whatever you set out to accomplish you should fail out of attempted unemployment and into a Fortune 500 CEO position in about a week.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

'finally a chance to make this thread about me' - every goon in every thread

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

That drat Satyr posted:

This landry list of inadequacies is the exactly why I suggested Benny may be better off just filing for disability. No matter how simple or repetitive it might seem to the average person, for Benny it will always hypothetically be that shopping carpark full to capacity with buggies flyinng everywhere.

Benny is not going to be getting disability in the US for being a dipshit.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

It is kinda mean spirited.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Wangsbig posted:

'finally a chance to make this thread about me' - every goon in every thread

Well I don't know about you but I'm not like this at all

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Benny update?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I've applied to eight more jobs. I called the first twenty jobs and about a fourth have active positions open. I marked them down and I'll continue to call them on a weekly basis.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 31, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Benny the Snake posted:

I called every company on my 20 list and about a fourth have actual positions open.

I have no idea what this sentence means.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"I called 20 companies on a list I made, and .25 of them had positions open"

I think? Why is it only a list of 20, I don't know.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

He's called 20 companies and 5 of them have positions available.

I mean, it's Benny-esque, but I didn't think it was that un-parseable :shrug:

nerve posted:

I think? Why is it only a list of 20, I don't know.

Because that's the bare minimum required to get unemployment benefits.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I shouldn't have to put any effort into parsing it, he's supposed to be a loving writer.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I shouldn't have to put any effort into parsing it

shouldn't, and yet

Benny the Snake posted:

Wouldn't I have to of majored in business for that?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He still hasn't told me what kind of comic books we're talking about here.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

I shouldn't have to put any effort into parsing it, he's supposed to be a loving writer.

Seemed perfectly clear to me; a loving fraction is effort? Would him describing it a one quarter have helped you enter it into a calculator and yield the correct answer of 5? Should he have described it as 25% instead?

It seems absurdly nit-picky to me, unless he's writing this for grade school children.

Edit: I read it again and realized my brain autocorrected half of the unparseable bits. 20 list? Benny, what the gently caress dude. Do you read or think about what you write?

Blitter fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 31, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Blitter posted:

Seemed perfectly clear to me; a loving fraction is effort? Would him describing it a one quarter have helped you enter it into a calculator and yield the correct answer of 5? Should he have described it as 25% instead?

It seems absurdly nit-picky to me, unless he's writing this for grade school children.

The running punchline here is he claims to be an English major yet routinely makes atrocious grammatical errors.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Blitter posted:

Do you read or think about what you write?

There's only so many times I can quote "have to of", and yet it's always relevant.

But it's okay, because it's online writing, so the answer to that question is "no".

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Keep trying Benny, you're doing what you're supposed to.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
we need a chart of jOBS APPLIED OVER TIME because this is getting unfuckingreal

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Benny really does live in the armpit of California, though. The only way it could be worse is if he lived in Bakersfield or Riverside.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Blitter posted:

Edit: I read it again and realized my brain autocorrected half of the unparseable bits. 20 list? Benny, what the gently caress dude. Do you read or think about what you write?

Exactly. Also a strange choice to use numerals for twenty but type out 1/4 in the same sentence.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

natetimm posted:

Benny really does live in the armpit of California, though. The only way it could be worse is if he lived in Bakersfield or Riverside.

Doesn't he live up near the Pomona area? Calling that the "armpit" of CA is a stretch.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny, is your mom letting you keep your comic books in the house?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Doesn't he live up near the Pomona area? Calling that the "armpit" of CA is a stretch.

California's pretty big, there's a lot of armpit if you don't have a car and don't live in in the area that has proper mass transit.

I don't actually know where Benny lives, but I do recall him saying it was pretty backwater.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

California's pretty big, there's a lot of armpit if you don't have a car and don't live in in the area that has proper mass transit.

I don't actually know where Benny lives, but I do recall him saying it was pretty backwater.

He lives pretty close to LA, it's not nearly as backwater as he's making it out to be.

E: VVV I could have sworn he mentioned leaving near the Pasadena/Pomona area, but gently caress me if I'm searching through 88 pages, I got work to do.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I thought he went to Chico state. North of Sacramento and south of Redding.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
He lives in Chino and went to Cal Poly Pomona

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

nerve posted:

This is correct. I've helped him look for job listings on Monster, and that's the area.

Not to encroach on Benny's privacy, but he's talked with me about the comics he enjoys. He's mentioned liking Scott Snyder and Brian K. Vaughan, particularly his comic "Saga" - and he gave me this link to get me to check it out: http://io9.com/10-reasons-you-should-be-reading-brian-k-vaughan-s-sag-756300575

So... they're comics, but in my opinion not really something great enough to write home about, unless there's something I've completely missed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nerve posted:

Hah! I was right after all. Well, close enough at least.

I'm sure Chino sucks, but calling it backwater and "the armpit of CA" is going way too far. The kid's an hour away from Los Angeles proper, he has tons of loving opportunities if he would learn to drive and get a car.

I just plugged it into Google Maps. From Chino to the Staples Center (heart of downtown LA) is literally a one hour drive, and that's including LA's traffic. Don't blame his location on his lack of options, he has tons.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 31, 2014

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

That drat Satyr posted:

This is correct. I've helped him look for job listings on Monster, and that's the area.

Not to encroach on Benny's privacy, but he's talked with me about the comics he enjoys. He's mentioned liking Scott Snyder and Brian K. Vaughan, particularly his comic "Saga" - and he gave me this link to get me to check it out: http://io9.com/10-reasons-you-should-be-reading-brian-k-vaughan-s-sag-756300575

So... they're comics, but in my opinion not really something great enough to write home about, unless there's something I've completely missed.

Saga is legit awesome and easily Brian K. Vaughan's best work (Pride of Baghdad, Y The Last Man). Liking Saga has absolutely nothing to do with being Benny. Saga is a brilliantly fun and exciting story about two aliens in a terrifyingly dangerous world wracked by genocidal civil war whose most daunting task is raising a baby.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Hell, he could stand by the loving Home Depot, practice his Spanish and maybe get some day laborer work. His English might be awful, but he's obviously, based on just his writing and posting, ESL.

Of course, he'll have to make sure he doesn't hit the foreman's car with a wheelbarrow.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

kizudarake posted:

His English might be awful, but he's obviously, based on just his writing and posting, ESL.

I have no idea where you got that from.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

kizudarake posted:

Hell, he could stand by the loving Home Depot, practice his Spanish and maybe get some day laborer work. His English might be awful, but he's obviously, based on just his writing and posting, ESL.

Of course, he'll have to make sure he doesn't hit the foreman's car with a wheelbarrow.

He's not fluent in Spanish, he said so earlier. English is his first language, he's just not very bright. Some people just aren't! I think this thread would be a lot shorter if goons could accept that.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
A whole year and the only things that have transpired on the job front are the boss's wife getting whacked in the head with a pan and a car getting hit by a shopping cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

kizudarake posted:

lol if you think Benny can handle any sort of physical labor.

• Locked thread