Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

White Dog Eggs posted:

Irritating man with an irritating haircut makes a stupid iOS guitar thing which is apparently good for learning guitar on even though it's not a guitar, or something. To be honest, I didn't finish the video.

They want three hundred loving dollars for that thing, are you kidding me??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Irritating man with an irritating haircut makes a stupid iOS guitar thing which is apparently good for learning guitar on even though it's not a guitar, or something. To be honest, I didn't finish the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4F4yR2nEs

So his sales pitch is he's too stupid to figure out how to play guitar like a normal person so trust him that he made a plastic toy which accomplishes the same task?

e: hahaha seriously i can't get over how much of a solution in search of a problem this dumb thing is

like people get started with rock band and apparently it comes with number stickers for the frets, since markers and side dots are apparently too difficult to comprehend, but jesus this is a whole new dimension of dumb

e2: and the very thing that twat is complaining about- durr you have to play a g chord for weeks it don't sound like so songs i know, then the promotional video is the program showing you how to make basic chords

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 30, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

a tactile midi guitar seems like a pretty cool thing to me

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

Tell him that the internet thinks he's wrong, because there's nothing quite as terrifying as tuning an E string using the pegs while you're holding it up in the proper position and guitar tuners would solve that problem.

e: I love listening to guitarists complain about tightening their E strings. Hey listen, at least it's not inches away from your face, plus with wodden pegs you usually need to overtighten it because most pegs are going to slip a bit after you let go. And if you use peg drops it's just as bad, instead of the peg slipping, you really have to muscle it to get the peg to move and you're worried when you finally do get it to move you're going to overshoot your target and snap the string. Plus the shorter length means it'll snap sooner. That string has a lot of tension.

I've actually got a cut on my face from over-tighening an E string earlier today, don't use speedtuners with electric screwdrivers.

Manky posted:

They want three hundred loving dollars for that thing, are you kidding me??

comes along bort posted:

So his sales pitch is he's too stupid to figure out how to play guitar like a normal person so trust him that he made a plastic toy which accomplishes the same task?

e: hahaha seriously i can't get over how much of a solution in search of a problem this dumb thing is

like people get started with rock band and apparently it comes with number stickers for the frets, since markers and side dots are apparently too difficult to comprehend, but jesus this is a whole new dimension of dumb

e2: and the very thing that twat is complaining about- durr you have to play a g chord for weeks it don't sound like so songs i know, then the promotional video is the program showing you how to make basic chords

Jamstick!!!! iPhone!!! Light!!!! Expression!!! Hairgel!!! HYBRID GUITAR SLASH DJ ENVIROMENT!!! IT'S GOT REAL FRETS!!! hkjkghkjkghkkjghjg

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

a tactile midi guitar seems like a pretty cool thing to me

It's not a bad idea really, they should make a 12-fret version and make it something else other than another lovely iPhone/iPad toy.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

White Dog Eggs posted:

They need to make a Djentstick, a guitar for douchebags.

JACK_ATTACK
Jul 26, 2005

comes along bort posted:

takamine also used to make electric guitars

My cousin had one of these! It looked even better/worse though:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Harry in Rio posted:

They need to make a Djentstick, a guitar for douchebags djouchebags.

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

He's not wearing cutoff BDU shorts.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO SPERG!

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Harry in Rio posted:

They need to make a Djentstick, a guitar for douchebags.

Well as luck would have it:

This is the Djentstick, one stringed fretless low tune instrument i've made myself featuring an active EMG81 pickup thru a Line 6 Pod XT.
All the audio was recorded only using the Djentstick!
Believe it or not!
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhOYflyfOPM

Dec 26, 2012

well at least hes happy to be here

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

here's more hand painted awesomeness from ebay

[IMG].[/IMG]
I mean seriously, SERIOUSLY is that meant to be Hendrix

btw it's not even a strat body it's an Ibanez

Fair Hallion fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 12, 2015

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Concatenation posted:

Well as luck would have it:

This is the Djentstick, one stringed fretless low tune instrument i've made myself featuring an active EMG81 pickup thru a Line 6 Pod XT.
All the audio was recorded only using the Djentstick!
Believe it or not!
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhOYflyfOPM

yeah that's pretty cool but I feel like you'd get better tone out of it if you used a stick of balsa wood instead.

Blutnerd
Jul 22, 2007

Monoton und Minimal

Fair Hallion posted:

Maybe it's supposed to look like Hendrix if you dug him up today.

D:URPLE HATE

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Fair Hallion posted:

Dec 26, 2012

nailed it

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

There is an old violin ("not fiddle, violin") player who drinks at one of the pubs I got to, I like to wind him up by taking about putting guitar tuners on his violin, for some reason it works him into this charmingly inept old-man rage "Guitar tuners on a violin??? I'd sooner let you put tits on my dog, at least I'd get some use out of them you stupid bugger". He still goes up on open mic nights too.

wtf is this guy talking about

"i wanted to play guitar so bad as a kid i started every year from the time i was 6 to the time i was 9"

started what man? started loving what?

"i spent a lot of time practicing things that didnt sound AT ALL like music. you play a D or a G chord for WEEKS, and it just doesnt sound like anything you signed up for"

1. what the gently caress do you think music sounds like?

2. weeks, seriously? maybe im misremembering what it was like when i started playing guitar but if youre spending weeks, plural, just practicing ONE chord, you might have retard brains and idiot fingers.

3. what the gently caress did you think you were signing up for? H chords?

im p. sure this guy doesnt know what a guitar is and spent his childhood practicing music on his moms dildo or something

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah the guy sounds like he's either literally retarded or he's trying to scare the poo poo out of anybody thinking about learning guitar but oh wait this dumbass plastic toy will be your musical savior just hand over your checkbook.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So I totally have this old knockoff Nashville Tele made by Agile or one of those companies before they had to change the headstocks (it has some kind of hybrid Tele/Strat mess). It actually sounds OK, but it's butchered by a poor paint job someone did on the back of it at one point.

What I'm saying is that I'm probably going to sand and refinish it and this seems like the best thread to ask what amazing/awful thing I should do to it.

Somewhere I have a etched metal pickguard for a tele covered in rustic filigree bullshit I might dig up and throw on it. If someone knows where to source really kitchsy hardware please also tell me. In addition I can get a pick guard for it in pretty much any color featuring any variety of etches (because I'm friends with laser havers).

I should get a pic of my Mando in here if I can get one. It's got a pickguard made out of an old fancy metal serving platter (large metal pick guards give mandos a really neat sound if you know what you're doing).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

man thats gross posted:

wtf is this guy talking about

"i wanted to play guitar so bad as a kid i started every year from the time i was 6 to the time i was 9"

started what man? started loving what?

"i spent a lot of time practicing things that didnt sound AT ALL like music. you play a D or a G chord for WEEKS, and it just doesnt sound like anything you signed up for"

1. what the gently caress do you think music sounds like?

2. weeks, seriously? maybe im misremembering what it was like when i started playing guitar but if youre spending weeks, plural, just practicing ONE chord, you might have retard brains and idiot fingers.

3. what the gently caress did you think you were signing up for? H chords?

im p. sure this guy doesnt know what a guitar is and spent his childhood practicing music on his moms dildo or something

I think part of his complaint was that you have to do boring finger exercises and you never get to play any songs when you first start playing music. So basically what he wanted was for someone to tell him where to put his fingers so he could play Stairway instead of actually learning how to play the drat thing. Ignoring the fact that boring exercises is how you get good enough to play the music that you like.

Also he's just a loving idiot in general.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
yay namm

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Since I'm a loving dinosaur that only plays outdated 6 string varieties, can someone explain to me how you play a simple barre chord on that 9 stringed monstrosity?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Tempus Fugit posted:

Since I'm a loving dinosaur that only plays outdated 6 string varieties, can someone explain to me how you play a simple barre chord on that 9 stringed monstrosity?

Being 6'3" or taller

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Tempus Fugit posted:

lmao who plays chords

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tempus Fugit posted:

it ain't for playing chords:ssh:

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If someone knows where to source really kitchsy hardware please also tell me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251070653525
(also see his other items)

then there's
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400488881613

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Tempus Fugit posted:

You don't. I have an 8-string and the bottom 2 strings are purely for chugs or for extending chords by an octave; it's tuned to EAEADGBE so you can play a chord and barre over the extra strings to give a fifth and an octave below the original root. It's an interesting different sound but takes a bunch of effort not to have it sound like mud with distortion. 9 strings, though.. What would the 9th be tuned to, C#?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
yeah c#

funny thing is schecter/ibanez/etc. are actually late to the game (ibanez had a prototype rg9 at namm last year)

these have been available for at least a couple years now:

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

comes along bort posted:

it ain't for playing chords:ssh:

God I'm old :ughh:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Those 9 and 10 string guitars are amazing. You just know the only people who would even entertain the idea of buying them are metal teens and pre teens who would only play the lowest two strings from the 7th fret down anyway.

Aww man a 9 string guitar thing about how heavvvvvyyyy the music would be.

*picks up guitar*

*pong pong djrrang pong pong pong krnk. krnk krnk. krnk ponnggggg* aw yeeeeaaaahhh

*kills self*

e: ok I hear it now wow I'm old too.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
at least schecter wised up a little made it 28" scale, which is still a little short for the low c#. especially since it ships with a .90

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
time to pour a pitcher of lemonade and grab my shotgun cause it's time sit in the rocking chair on my porch and yell about teenagers

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

time to pour a pitcher of lemonade and grab my shotgun cause it's time sit in the rocking chair on my porch and yell about teenagers

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

Teenager:"Hey, can you do me a Sinister Gates guitar?"
Me:"What? You mean Cemetery Gates, like Pantera?"
"No man, Sinister gates, he's the guitarist in Avenged Sevenfold"
"That's a stupid name. £800"
"Huh, that's a lot of money, will it be exactly like his?"
"Probably, what does he play?"
*hangs up*

I am not very professional sometimes.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
To be fair it is a really stupid name.

Also it's spelled Synyster. :smug:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Synyster's Schecter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
shoulda agreed to do it sight unseen and replaced that stupid bat head logo inlay with the batman logo

• Locked thread