Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah. Radiation goes deep and knocks out small but important things. I guess it's theoretically possible to imagine something radioactive enough to kill in the very short-term, minutes or tens of seconds, but like Bad Munki says, anything putting out that much radiation would almost certainly be hot enough in the traditional sense to fry you first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want one.

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

I want one.

The hell is that???

JasonRiverwind
Feb 2, 2009

Derek of the Andes posted:

The hell is that???

God damnit man, haven't you ever seen a woman.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The hell is that???

It looks like a pretty big bobcat to me. I could be wrong though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

I want one.

I'm the :catdrugs:

And I would guess it's a lynx and not a bobcat. They're close relatives but lynxes have really big paws and tufts on their ears.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
A Canada Lynx at a rehab center in Colorado.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

joat mon posted:

A Canada Lynx at a rehab center in Colorado.

Drug use isn't "bad-rear end".

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Skrill.exe posted:

Drug use isn't "bad-rear end".

Yeah, but there's a certain courage in asking for help? :shobon:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah. Radiation goes deep and knocks out small but important things. I guess it's theoretically possible to imagine something radioactive enough to kill in the very short-term, minutes or tens of seconds, but like Bad Munki says, anything putting out that much radiation would almost certainly be hot enough in the traditional sense to fry you first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1#Incident_and_response posted:

With one entry per person and a 1 minute limit, a team of 5 men with stretchers recovered the operator who was still breathing; he did not regain consciousness and died of his head injury at about 11 p.m. Even stripped, his body was so contaminated that it was emitting about 500 R/hr.

SL-1 is probably the largest non-nuclear explosion radiation dose anyone has ever received, and the operator pulled alive from the reactor still died from the physical trauma rather than the radiation exposure.

Edit: Since this is the bad-rear end thread, also from the above wiki link:

quote:

Post-accident analysis concluded that the final control method (i.e., dissipation of the prompt critical state) occurred by means of catastrophic core disassembly: destructive melting, vaporization, and consequent conventional explosive expansion of the parts of the reactor core where the greatest amount of heat was being produced most quickly. It was estimated that this core heating and vaporization process happened in about 7.5 milliseconds, before enough steam had been formed to shut down the reaction, beating the steam shutdown by a few milliseconds. A key statistic makes it clear why the core literally blew apart: the reactor designed for a 3 MW power output operated momentarily at a peak of nearly 20 GW, a power density over 6,000 times higher than its safe operating limit.

CommanderApaul has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Jan 29, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

About 50 Grays, or about 5 times Louis Slotkin's exposure (died after 20 9 days) and about 10 times Harry Daghlian's exposure (died after 29 25 days) to the "Demon Core" (in separate incidents).

(IANANP)

e:

Deeerrrrpp. My reedin comperhenshun not sew gud.

The scientists who were working with this demon core were pretty badass. Just winging it.

Also naming a piece of plutonium a demon core is quite badass.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not trying to be pedantic, but I kinda took the "dead instantly" bit from the photo as "Oh, gently caress, you are gonna die from radiation poisoning and there is nothing you can do. No hope left."

Sorta a sciencey version of that fist of the north star "You are already dead" bit. Probably with less cranial explosions though.

I'll admit even with that, it's still wrong since there's about a 5 min window of "not hosed" to "yep, hosed."

Also... KITTY!!!! :kimchi:

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Not trying to be pedantic, but I kinda took the "dead instantly" bit from the photo as "Oh, gently caress, you are gonna die from radiation poisoning and there is nothing you can do. No hope left."

Sorta a sciencey version of that fist of the north star "You are already dead" bit. Probably with less cranial explosions though.

I'll admit even with that, it's still wrong since there's about a 5 min window of "not hosed" to "yep, hosed."

Also... KITTY!!!! :kimchi:

Yeah that's how Medusa worked IIRC. You accidentally made eye contact with her while you were walking to the kebab joint and over a month you just slowly turned to stone from the toes up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I thought it was a euphemism for a boner.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Strudel Man posted:

Depends on the sort of radiation. Microwaves could kill you PDQ.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I seem to recall a story about how when radar was first invented, the operators out in the field would get cold and so they'd go stand in front of the antenna for a little bit to warm up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I recall a (possibly apocryphal) story about why you NEVER loving ignore the signs people leave on gear: dude was repairing a microwave-based broadcast antenna, turned it off, completely disconnected it from the power, left several signs indicating that repairs were in progress and it should loving stay off. Someone switches it on. Dude comes down, kicks the living poo poo out of the guy who switched it on, then expires within a day or two. That's a relatively low-power antenna.

There's a reason they build phone masts on the tops of really tall structures...

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

thespaceinvader posted:

I recall a (possibly apocryphal) story about why you NEVER loving ignore the signs people leave on gear: dude was repairing a microwave-based broadcast antenna, turned it off, completely disconnected it from the power, left several signs indicating that repairs were in progress and it should loving stay off. Someone switches it on. Dude comes down, kicks the living poo poo out of the guy who switched it on, then expires within a day or two. That's a relatively low-power antenna.

There's a reason they build phone masts on the tops of really tall structures...

His own fault. Lock out/tag out is a two step process, not just posting signs. :colbert:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

lenoon posted:

Wouldn't a sufficient amount of radiation kill you instantly? How much of a dose would be required?

Theoretically, yes, but unless you find a way to teleport yourself into an actual ongoing nuclear reaction your death won't be instantaneous. Quick, but not instant. It's been a few years since I worked on a reactor so I'm too rusty to start breaking out equations and poo poo, but even if you were in the reactor compartment of an operating nuclear submarine, you still wouldn't die instantly (albeit very, very quickly).

Source: I worked on an actual nuclear submarine.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

lenoon posted:

Wouldn't a sufficient amount of radiation kill you instantly? How much of a dose would be required?

Getting shot in the head with an industrial cutting laser would probably do it. For ionizing radiation it's probably a bit different but if you stuck your head in an high-energy beam line you might die immediately.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Dusseldorf posted:

Getting shot in the head with an industrial cutting laser would probably do it. For ionizing radiation it's probably a bit different but if you stuck your head in an high-energy beam line you might die immediately.

Not always..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

God drat is it hard to get epilepsy medication in Russia.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

These are amazing.

This might as well be what our money should look like with how fast the value of it is going down.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

I seem to recall a story about how when radar was first invented, the operators out in the field would get cold and so they'd go stand in front of the antenna for a little bit to warm up.

The myth has always been that the microwave was discovered by RADAR researchers who stood too close the transmitter and discovered that the chocolate bar in their pocket had melted.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Devout Christian posted:

This might as well be what our money should look like with how fast the value of it is going down.

People would take us seriously if we started putting "Death" on our currency.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Devout Christian posted:

These are amazing.

Inflation is actually pretty low now. :confused:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Son of a bitch is still alive. :stare: I wonder if they ever gave in on the disability.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

I'm sure this guy will win pretty much every scar/war wound boast:

"I got stabbed in the chest"

"I took a bullet to the head"

"...I took a loving particle beam to the face"

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Thanks for the discussion on the effects of radiation there! Really answered my question, awesome.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Someone already mentioned the Demon Core in passing, but I think that it and the researchers of the Manhattan Project deserve a link of their own in this thread:

quote:

On May 21, 1946, physicist Louis Slotin and seven other Los Alamos personnel were in a Los Alamos laboratory conducting an experiment to verify the exact point at which a subcritical mass (core) of fissile material could be made critical by the positioning of neutron reflectors. The test was known as "tickling the dragon's tail" for its extreme risk.It required the operator to place two half-spheres of beryllium (a neutron reflector) around the core to be tested and manually lower the top reflector over the core via a thumb hole on the top. As the reflectors were manually moved closer and farther away from each other, scintillation counters measured the relative activity from the core. Allowing them to close completely could result in the instantaneous formation of a critical mass and a lethal power excursion. Under Slotin's unapproved protocol, the only thing preventing this was the blade of a standard flathead screwdriver, manipulated by the scientist's other hand. Slotin, who was given to bravado, became the local expert, performing the test almost a dozen separate times, often in his trademark bluejeans and cowboy boots, in front of a roomful of observers. Enrico Fermi reportedly told Slotin and others they would be "dead within a year" if they continued performing it.
While lowering the top reflector, Slotin's screwdriver slipped outward a fraction of an inch, allowing the top reflector to fall into place around the core. Instantly there was a flash of blue light and a wave of heat across Slotin's skin; the core had become supercritical, releasing a massive burst of neutron radiation. He quickly knocked the two halves apart, stopping the chain reaction and presumably saving the lives of the other men in the laboratory, though it is now known that the heating of the core and shells stopped the criticality within milliseconds of its initiation.

Old school science was crazy hardcore.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

lenoon posted:

Thanks for the discussion on the effects of radiation there! Really answered my question, awesome.

It's not really our job to google for you and apparently nobody in the thread is a nuclear physicist.

(edit)

If you're being sincere sorry I'm a douchebag but that came across snarky to me.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Jan 31, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think he was being sincere. I know I read a ton of stuff on reactors that were linked to on Wikipedia from here.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I thought he was sincere too. And if he wasn't, I am: that was an interesting discussion.

Also,

13Pandora13 posted:

and apparently nobody in the thread is a nuclear physicist.
Not surprising because apparently those guys routinely get irradiated to death.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I thought he was sincere too. And if he wasn't, I am: that was an interesting discussion.

Also,

Not surprising because apparently those guys routinely get irradiated to death.

I wouldn't be surprised if an A/T thread would pop up: Ask me about dying from a lethal dose of radiation. You've got two days and I have nothing better to do than answer your questions!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

thespaceinvader posted:

Depends on the sort of radiation. Microwaves could kill you PDQ.
I wouldn't really consider that to be 'radiation,' for our purposes here. Radiation in a nuclear context generally refers to ionizing radiation, which only really encompasses the upper UV spectrum and above in EM waves.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Guy doing his best Simon Belmont impersonation.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, whipping unarmed peasant conscripts with a chain is so badass.

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

The hell is that???

Doritos cheese flavored corn chips.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah, whipping unarmed peasant conscripts with a chain is so badass.

No for you see, it is the police, the ultimate evil in this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Babe Magnet posted:

No for you see, it is the police, the ultimate evil in this world.

While the officers in those pictures were probably not involved in the worst of it, I can understand his frustration and desire to lash out.

This guy is the leader of the Automaidan mobile protest caravan in Ukraine, and he is a major badass for standing up to a dictatorship-in-the-making.

He was kidnapped, beaten and mutilated for eight days after being kidnapped during a protest, and witnesses claim he was taken by uniformed individuals. The police refused to help his family when he stopped returning calls. Another protester, Yuri Verbytsky from the EuroMaidan protests, was kidnapped from a hospital on the January 21st and was found dead in a forest the day after. Police were similarly unhelpful.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/automaidan-leader-bulatov-found-alive-after-eight-days-of-disappearance-335912.html

poo poo is seriously hosed up in Ukraine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-protest_laws_in_Ukraine

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Jan 31, 2014

• Locked thread