Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Maybe this is too simplistic, but wouldn't basically any white candidate for Team D lock up Ohio? Going from that it seems like the Republicans have a huge task in winning Virginia, Florida and Nevada/Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

menino posted:

Maybe this is too simplistic, but wouldn't basically any white candidate for Team D lock up Ohio? Going from that it seems like the Republicans have a huge task in winning Virginia, Florida and Nevada/Colorado.

Tell that to president kerry.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's even a decently progressive white male Democratic Senator from Ohio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvmKstQMIEo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation

Joementum posted:

There's even a decently progressive white male Democratic Senator from Ohio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvmKstQMIEo

He's light years better than either of my senators.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

Everything they have both done in public life makes it clear that Schweitzer is better than Clinton on pretty much every issue so unless you think he's been bullshitting since 2005 when he became governor and for the 8 years he was governor, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. And just because someone is a blue state senator doesn't mean they are worth anything. Look at my state of NJ for example. If anything they are more likely to come out of a corrupt political machine.

Has Clinton been shilling as hard for coal as Schweitzer has?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation

computer parts posted:

Has Clinton been shilling as hard for coal as Schweitzer has?

He's for cap and trade and I'm not sure she is... At least he's for it now. Granted that they are both pretty bad on climate change.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 31, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Hillary will also clean house in the Midwest. Ohio, PA, and Michigan would be solidly out of play for Republicans. She probably will make North Carolina go back to being uncompetitive but Florida should also be easier to win.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

mcmagic posted:

Tell that to president kerry.

2004 != 2016

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Ironically enough the only candidate I can think of who would put KY into play is Clinton. They loving love the Big Dog down there and HRC cleaned house in the '08 primary.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I grew up in Kentucky and used to canvass down there - there is a reason that Hillary trounced Obama in Kentucky in 2008 and it's deeply related to how well "Uncommitted" performed in 2012.

Where did that "Big Dog" thing come from anyway? I feel like it sprung into existence around 2012 and I can't recall it ever being a thing before.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Warszawa posted:

I grew up in Kentucky and used to canvass down there - there is a reason that Hillary trounced Obama in Kentucky in 2008 and it's deeply related to how well "Uncommitted" performed in 2012.

Where did that "Big Dog" thing come from anyway? I feel like it sprung into existence around 2012 and I can't recall it ever being a thing before.
John Stewart I believe

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
If Hillary does end up getting the nomination, I can't even imagine how amazing Bill's DNC speech will be. :allears:

And politics aside, I kind of want to live in a world where we get Bill Clinton, First Husband.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Warszawa posted:

It's from the 2000 election. First mention is by Joan Walsh at Salon followed shortly (and obviously) by MoDo.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Slate Action posted:

If Hillary does end up getting the nomination, I can't even imagine how amazing Bill's DNC speech will be. :allears:

And politics aside, I kind of want to live in a world where we get Bill Clinton, First Husband.

Obama's speech too. It will be a hell of a contrast to be able to put him up there when the last Republican President has been disappeared since he left office.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have this weird hope that Obama's last speech leaving office will be him nodding, clearing his throat and going, "You try working with these loving clowns." before dropping the mic and walking calmly to Marine One with Michelle and the kids.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Joementum posted:

It's from the 2000 election. First mention is by Joan Walsh at Salon followed shortly (and obviously) by MoDo.

I thought it was referring HRC's interview where she called him "a hard dog to keep on the porch".
http://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/aug/02/clinton.usa

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

dusty posted:

I thought it was referring HRC's interview where she called him "a hard dog to keep on the porch".
http://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/aug/02/clinton.usa

That's actually a reference to a George HW Bush campaign speech from August, 1992.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Joementum posted:

That's actually a reference to a George HW Bush campaign speech from August, 1992.

Dammit - trumped by 7 years

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
A lot of people keep saying things like "there's no better candidate", "we can't get someone that ISN'T a corporatist", "well it's not like we'll find someone who was against the war", all sort of what-are-the-alternatives sort of stuff being said, but...

Isn't Elizabeth Warren running?

Isn't she, like, better than Clinton in basically every way?

I could understand, maybe, people saying they would be supporting Clinton because they thought she had a better chance in the general, but Warren is one of the few people I feel like I might actually like if she were elected.

Mind you, I'm mostly opposed to Clinton for many of her actual policies, which I find insultingly bad (ban video games and criminalize flag burning! Get rid of those pesky laws reigning in police and three letter agencies so they can do whatever they want more easily!). She's always struck me as the sort of Democrat who is a Democrat solely because they believe they will be more successful with a (D) next to their name instead of an (R), but their actual opinions could comfortably be found in either party. I just... haven't ever seen a reason to like her, most of all. What has she ever actually accomplished that would indicate hope for a Clinton presidency?

But Warren has opposed the wars, is at least open to drug reform and rescheduling, wants to raise taxes on the wealthy, and other good things right?

And wasn't she was somehow polling at 8% in that poll listed earlier, despite most people outside of MA probably having no idea who she is?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

A lot of people keep saying things like "there's no better candidate", "we can't get someone that ISN'T a corporatist", "well it's not like we'll find someone who was against the war", all sort of what-are-the-alternatives sort of stuff being said, but...

No, she isn't.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

No, there are no signs that she is that I'm aware of. She is in a position of remarkable power to make progress on her main political goals right now as a Senator, has no chance to win the Presidential election, and faces the same Catch-22 situations Obama does if she actually won in some fantasy world.

quote:

Isn't she, like, better than Clinton in basically every way?

She is better on a major issue that is important to us here, but she can't win the election and has shown no distinction as a leader outside of that particular area. Clinton is a more distinguished leader.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FuriousxGeorge posted:

No, there are no signs that she is that I'm aware of.

It's not just that there are no signs she's running, she's announced that she isn't.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Bicyclops posted:

It's not just that there are no signs she's running, she's announced that she isn't.

It's not just that she's announced that she isn't (this would be the default position of any non-joke candidate) it's that she signed on to a letter with every other Democratic women in the senate backing Hillary.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Howard Dean's going to bring that 2003 magic back, I can feel it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Dean actually got asked about running on the last Real Time and he was like "ehheheheheh never say never, but, uh, yeah I don't see that happening" or whatever. He strikes me as a guy who's pretty much done with the pain of elected politics.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What was 'Hillarycare' anyway? Is there a brief rundown so I could compare it to the PPACA?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

The Entire Universe posted:

What was 'Hillarycare' anyway? Is there a brief rundown so I could compare it to the PPACA?

It was a watered-down sort of universal healthcare. Not single-payer, but HMOs and other managed-care organizations would've been much more regulated to make sure proper service levels were met. All employers would've been mandated to provide coverage options. By still allowing multiple private insurance providers in the game, the regulatory costs would've been massive, and this was one of the rallying cries against it.

Every so often, some Democrat puts up legislation that re-authorizes Medicare, only it takes out the words "age 65 or over" or whatever the magic phrase is, and would basically turn the US into a single-payer nation. Nothing ever comes of it.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 31, 2014

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Elizabeth Warren is never running, and if you think she is, you're naive/dumb. Plus, she does more good in the Senate than on a quixotic presidential campaign.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The only conceivable leftist who might be running from a "real" political position of any relevance would be Sanders, who's openly flirted with the idea but even he has more or less admitted it would just be to draw attention and get conversations started about certain topics.

Of course, he wouldn't be running as a democrat, either, so it wouldn't be a primary challenge.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe this time the Draft Gore movement will get somewhere.

Also I don't think John Edwards has ruled anything out as of yet.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

Maybe this time the Draft Gore movement will get somewhere.

Also I don't think John Edwards has ruled anything out as of yet.

And maybe Herman Cain will run again too.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

The Entire Universe posted:

PPACA is virtually a copy of the then-GOP alternative to Hillarycare. HEART Act I think it was? I can't look it up now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Arrowsmith posted:

PPACA is virtually a copy of the then-GOP alternative to Hillarycare. HEART Act I think it was? I can't look it up now.

No, it isn't.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
After Obama the thing I want absolutely most out of the next nominee is someone with some god drat fight in them who will call out the horrors we've been witnessing for the last 6 years for what they are. I really bought Obama's 08 pitch about being able to bring opposition on board and it turned out to be the wrongest I've ever been about anything in politics. I knew Republicans were scum back then but I never thought they'd actually aggressively sabotage their country for YEARS on end.

I'm not saying Hillary is or isn't this person, but another 2008 idea that seems hilariously stupid in hindsight is that Hillary carries baggage in the sense that Republicans already hate her. They will hate anybody we put up with a white-hot frothing rage, there is nothing to gain by picking somebody they don't pre-hate. It's all they have, their entire platform and identity. The people who loving hate Democrats beyond all reason or comprehension.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Breaking on NYTimes, Christie knew about lane closings, according to the Port Authority. That should pretty much eliminate him from 2016.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013
It's just so weird because that's what you'd have to assume, because how in the hell could he have not. Then on the other hand how could he be so dumb to just straight up lie when it was an impossible story to bury and the truth was certain to come out. I guess if you assume the truth would sink you anyway, go for the hail mary?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gimme the smoking gun. I'm at half-mast here Wildstein, help a brother out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

enbot posted:

It's just so weird because that's what you'd have to assume, because how in the hell could he have not. Then on the other hand how could he be so dumb to just straight up lie when it was an impossible story to bury and the truth was certain to come out. I guess if you assume the truth would sink you anyway, go for the hail mary?

It's a common trait among powerful people - they honestly think they can bluff their way out of it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

So the field is not something like Paul, Cruz, Bush (lol), Walker, and probably some of the book tour clowns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

So the field is not something like Paul, Cruz, Bush (lol), Walker, and probably some of the book tour clowns?

Ryan, Rubio, Jindal, ~~Mitt~~.

• Locked thread