Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Another Person posted:

Alright, if you guys really don't want to discuss it here, please PM me how you feel that I cannot possibly understand US gun culture, despite my own culture being almost identical to that of the US. We have the same media, get the same movies, play the same games. I am genuinely interested.

e; I am not kidding, I am inviting a PM based civil discussion about the issues of self defense, gun control, civil security, cultural identity and violence. I want to see if someone can prove to me that I could never understand the American perspective on weapons.

E: ahahahahahahah, the interview actually discusses this entire position of perspective and being able to understand something outside of your experience at the end too. Please, really, listen to it guys. Thanks again HolePisser.

I'm sure the literal insane man who lives in a shack in the woods makes some perfectly salient points applicable to my urban lifestyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I just came back, did brad not kill the guy up above?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
This is like the Anti-Brad boss. This is great.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

uPen posted:

I just came back, did brad not kill the guy up above?

He did once but no one remembers if he respawns or not.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

randombattle posted:

I wish I could remember if that guy respawns or not.

He doesn't respawn.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

So I bet today's going to be 2 straight hours of him dying in the swamp.

Well, replace swamp with prison and I was right.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Oh Brad has this then. Man I wish he had gone into that fight with out killing the guy he would have never figured it out.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dezinus posted:

This is like the Anti-Brad boss. This is great.

Brad keeps trying to lame it out against bosses that actually have ranged options and it always goes spectacularly poorly

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Someone just sent this to Jeff on Twitter and... I have no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nGWEb5QxGA

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Came here to post that. I feel like my brain is melting.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
http://fiverr.com/greatgigsguy3/do-a-testimonial-video-at-my-desk-with-monitor

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Crowbear posted:

Someone just sent this to Jeff on Twitter and... I have no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nGWEb5QxGA

This is the best video.

I can't even believe it exists.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
An explanation, spoiled for the people who'd rather not: I'm pretty sure both people take commissions for things to read off into a camera. I know the first dude does, at the very least. Couldn't find the second dude.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The rabbit hole is deeper than I thought :stonk:

http://www.japanator.com/rog-and-tyrone-the-inadvertent-spokespeople-of-anime-31332.phtml

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

flatluigi posted:

An explanation, spoiled for the people who'd rather not: I'm pretty sure both people take commissions for things to read off into a camera. I know the first dude does, at the very least. Couldn't find the second dude.

yeah /a/ found these guys and have been paying them to say dumb stuff for a few months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gdsdqu5XWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07ugR9edds

"Pardon my lewdness, but I wouldn't even hold hands wiv your waifu"

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
My favorite part of podcasts with Drew is when he drops the Tailspin "ooh wee ooh" whenever someone mentions anything related to Tailspin.

This week I think Jeff said "dovetail" and he did it. I don't think anyone pays attention to Drew's asides during podcasts, but he gets some good ones in there.

EDIT - "It's pronounced Nike."

The Machine fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 31, 2014

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Machine posted:

My favorite part of podcasts with Drew is when he drops the Tailspin "ooh wee ooh" whenever someone mentions anything related to Tailspin.

This week I think Jeff said "dovetail" and he did it. I don't think anyone pays attention to Drew's asides during podcasts, but he gets some good ones in there.

EDIT - "It's pronounced Nike."

Drew secretly tells the best jokes on the podcast.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

quote:

Gordon also mentioned that due to the popularity of the anime-themed video requests, he decided to check out some anime himself. He told me that he watched "Wake Me Up When September Ends" and plans to watch more. I can only assume he meant an anime AMV, which (frankly) is adorable.

The internet is a beautiful place sometimes.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

wa27 posted:

He got me last week with the "b-b-beef or pork" Cafe 80's BTTF2 reference.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Another Person posted:

E: incidentally, so you don't think I am some crazy gun nut or something, defending this idea of protecting yourself, here is my stance. I am british (no guns allowed), have held a gun three times in my life through being in the cadets, did not like it. I refused to go to the firing range and shortly left after that. I thought it was crazy that my dad had a sickle under his bed to prevent thieves, despite the fears of my own of being broken into. I have a sketch written down somewhere in my flat about how ludicrous the entire security culture is about security cameras.

My home was burgled about 9 months ago and the thieves were about 12 feet from me while I slept when they grabbed my wallet (thankfully not my car keys that were on top of it), and almost certainly were watching me through a window as I go to bed pretty late. I still have no desire whatsoever to own a gun. Really the biggest pain in the rear end was that I was moving the next week and had to get new everything, also that my cat, who is the best cat, might have mauled the upstairs cats. Crazy libertardians wanting to shoot anything and everything like the Castle Doctrine "dev" are crazy people. 99% of the time crooks just want your petty cash and easily fenced electronics, not to kill your pregnant wife and 2 kids.

But far more importantly, to re-iterate, and this is the important part: not only is that guy a crazy person, he makes lovely games and has idiotic opinions on game pricing and Castle Doctrine will wither on the vine in about a month when there's no new blood to sustain a multiplayer dependent game that gets more expensive, to say nothing of it being stupidly balanced.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

wa27 posted:

I wouldn't call them secret, but no one on the podcast listens to him.

Jeff takes the cake for secret facial expressions on camera though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jeff always seems very aware of how he's showing up on camera. Like last week's UPF he would tilt himself to try and stay upright on the screen as Vinny was messing with moving everyone's faces around.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Jeff always seems very aware of how he's showing up on camera. Like last week's UPF he would tilt himself to try and stay upright on the screen as Vinny was messing with moving everyone's faces around.

They have a preview monitor, but it's primarily used by Jeff for stuff like that. Drew gets some good looks into the camera though.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

IRQ posted:

My home was burgled about 9 months ago and the thieves were about 12 feet from me while I slept when they grabbed my wallet (thankfully not my car keys that were on top of it), and almost certainly were watching me through a window as I go to bed pretty late. I still have no desire whatsoever to own a gun. Really the biggest pain in the rear end was that I was moving the next week and had to get new everything, also that my cat, who is the best cat, might have mauled the upstairs cats. Crazy libertardians wanting to shoot anything and everything like the Castle Doctrine "dev" are crazy people. 99% of the time crooks just want your petty cash and easily fenced electronics, not to kill your pregnant wife and 2 kids.

... but in the interview he literally states he does not own a gun, does not want one, and has only touched one once. He doesn't want to shoot anything. By providing such a graphic, almost Hotline Miami level, depiction of violence and paranoia, he is intentionally making you question and think about it. Letting you, the player and builder, get killed by your own traps is alone providing an idea of how stupid these defence worries are. I'm just going to give up, because nobody is going to look at the drat interview to actually understand the point the dev is making. I'm just going to say that it is anti-security. He addresses it around here from this point through the next couple minutes, if you really want to jump to the bit I am talking about. He is taking a negative stance, the point of view he takes is that these concerns are entirely trumped up.

"... after going to the gunshop and looking at a gun and talking to my wife it just seemed like a bad idea."

I agree that the game getting more expensive is silly though.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
This man is married!?!?!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
With three kids.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Another Person posted:

... I don't want to go into some big politics debate here because this is a games forum and my daytime life is discussing politics, but how is wishing to protect your kids and pregnant wife from a dog in the countryside hosed up? As someone who grew up in the countryside in a house that was next to a farming/outerwear goods shop that was constantly getting robbed (like, monthly), I grew up in constant fear of people breaking into my house as a young child. They were on the same property as each other and the risk was 100% there. My dad even had a part time role of having to go into that shop when it was getting robbed to deactivate that alarm and get rid of thieves. /I had seen thieves and I knew everytime that alarm went off my dad would have to go out there and risk the thieves. The game is coming from the same security paranoia and fear that the guy who presented Infamous: Second Son is coming from.
Its hosed up because its an escalation of violence in such an extreme capacity in regards to something from my own personal experience is such a minor hiccup. I'm sure if I lived in the middle of nowhere like he apparently does it would be a major issue for me but comparatively speaking its not exactly on the high list of issues. Hell even your life story is a minor hiccup to me. Why the hell did he contemplate getting a weapon if he didn't want to escalate?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So someone brought up this trade-in info: http://content.microsoftstore.com/en-us/offers/thewestchester?WT.mc_id=PromoEmail_XboxTradeIn_BM_1-30-14_Hero_FullEmail#offer-trade-console

Basically, you get a 100 dollar reduction towards a Xbone if you trade in...well, here's the quote:

quote:

For a limited time, bring in your PS3, Xbox 360 S or Xbox 360 E and receive $100 of Microsoft retail store credit.

This is the official Microsoft store, keep in mind.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tae posted:

So someone brought up this trade-in info: http://content.microsoftstore.com/en-us/offers/thewestchester?WT.mc_id=PromoEmail_XboxTradeIn_BM_1-30-14_Hero_FullEmail#offer-trade-console

Basically, you get a 100 dollar reduction towards a Xbone if you trade in...well, here's the quote:

This is the official Microsoft store, keep in mind.

I think it's rather telling that my first thought was I'd rather have my PS3.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its hosed up because its an escalation of violence in such an extreme capacity in regards to something from my own personal experience is such a minor hiccup. I'm sure if I lived in the middle of nowhere like he apparently does it would be a major issue for me but comparatively speaking its not exactly on the high list of issues. Hell even your life story is a minor hiccup to me. Why the hell did he contemplate getting a weapon if he didn't want to escalate?

Pressure - he didn't personally want to escalate, but his wife felt unsafe, he perceived a possible risk to his children, he saw his neighbours being broken into, these issues, when combined with the influence of the image popular culture forces onto him - the image of a 'manly protector of the house', pushed him to look into it. Societal pressures push a lot of people into decisions they don't want to do - look at peer pressure, for example. What actually happened is he looked at the statistics of risk though, and discovered the low probability of danger, the low successes of self-protection and so on.

It is literally all discussed in the interview.

If anything at all, I would say that the game is anti-self defence. The repugnance at the violence and escalation you are feeling is entirely intentional - he is intentionally drawing a disgusting picture for you to look at. Like the violence in Hotline Miami was supposed to make you feel dirty, the killing in this game serves to do the same. Building an overly complex home to protect your money and family is supposed to feel crazy - he is using this intentionally.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 31, 2014

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

uPen posted:

I think it's rather telling that my first thought was I'd rather have my PS3.

Recently my roommate was shooting footage for his job at a pawn shop and entered some contest they were having at the time and won his choice between a PS3 and an Xbone. He, of course, picked the PS3.

A couple of weeks later he got a call from the police saying that it was a stolen console and he ended up having to give it back. The pawn shop didn't have another PS3 in stock so they offered him the Xbone or the next PS3 that comes in. He's still waiting on a PS3.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Ahaha, wow, MS are doing a real screw move there, aren't they? A discount for ditching any sense of loyalty. Capitalism, man. It's hosed.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Another Person posted:

Pressure - he didn't personally want to escalate, but his wife felt unsafe, he perceived a possible risk to his children, he saw his neighbours being broken into, these issues, when combined with the influence of the image popular culture forces onto him - the image of a 'manly protector of the house', pushed him to look into it. What actually happened is he looked at the statistics of risk though, and discovered the low probability of danger, the low successes of self-protection and so on.

Just as a side note he did buy a weapon so apparently he did succumb to the pressure.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Another Person posted:

Pressure - he didn't personally want to escalate, but his wife felt unsafe, he perceived a possible risk to his children, he saw his neighbours being broken into, these issues, when combined with the influence of the image popular culture forces onto him - the image of a 'manly protector of the house', pushed him to look into it. What actually happened is he looked at the statistics of risk though, and discovered the low probability of danger, the low successes of self-protection and so on.

Dude why do you keep going on about this? He is a weird self absorbed guy who makes lovely games and has strange opinions. It doesn't matter if he buys a gun or keeps a rusty dog beating stick as a weapon. The point is that he does it. Did you make the interview or something cause like every post is reminding people this exists.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 31, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I am just particularly interested in security culture. I think it is all ludicrous, and this game happens to be relevant. I'll actually shut up now.

VV You can kill kids. Most games do not allow that because it is hosed up. That is what I meant. VVV

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Another Person posted:

By providing such a graphic, almost Hotline Miami level, depiction of violence and paranoia

I don't know if you've seen footage of the game because it's absolutely nowhere near Hotline Miami in terms of its depiction of violence.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trade in your PS3 and save $100 on an Xbone, or keep your PS3 and buy a next-gen console for the same price. Wonderful.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The real issue with The Castle Doctrine is that it's not very fun.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Another Person posted:

I am just particularly interested in security culture. I think it is all ludicrous, and this game happens to be relevant. I'll actually shut up now.

No it isn't. It is not relevant because no one designs their whole house to be a death trap that they have to run first. It's not applicable in anyway because you are not defending your house. It's like looking at Pokemon as a guide for pet care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I am talking about the general message, not the literal idea of the game, haha. I know nobody has a pit right after their front door like some Home Alone throwback. I just think it is interesting considering I have thought about the topic in-depth before. This is absolutely my last post on the topic though, please don't respond with something I can respond back to, hah. I could very well happily talk about it for a while because I have similar experiences as a child, etc. I understand it is boring and dumb and poorly executed though. Sorry for the derail guys.

• Locked thread