Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
poo poo yeah time to conquer a new world teeth first. :allears: Toriko is a true man of the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

pinegala posted:

Edit: jokes aside, the optimism and redirection of attention back to actual food in this chapter was refreshing. I have the suspicion (and hope) that Toriko's attitude in the last few chapters is actually paralleling Shimabukuro's - maybe this new arc will breathe some new life back into the manga.

I thought the Cooking Festival arc was great. It set up an epic course for the future of the story, and managed to turn Midora into an interesting character. The amount of twists and plot-dump might have been a bit much for some, which is understandable.

Toriko is apparently going solo into Gourmet World, so I wouldn't expect the pace to slow down any time soon.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Loving the hugeness scale. The fork was almost as long as the Dragon's neck, but then could be pinched between that Devil's two fingers, but then he was so tiny that Chaugnar faugn there barely noticed stepping on him, who was in turn snack-sized for the flying dinosaur.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I wonder if all of the Four King's cool animal buddies have King counterparts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

They did mention that the largest Mother Snake (Quinn/Queen's species) wraps around the world. I can also buy the idea of a giant Daruma Horse. I'm having trouble imagining an uber-powerful version of Kiss, but his species being called Emperor Crow implies one is out there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Sunny's snake definitely, not sure about Coco's crow or Zebra's daruma horse though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
http://toriko.wikia.com/wiki/Eight_Kings

This article lists four of the eight (Battle Wolf, Mother Snake, Emperor Crow, and Derous (the dragon Komatsu's knife comes from)) but doesn't cite chapters. The picture does appear to include a snake and a bird, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 28, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

They did mention that the largest Mother Snake (Quinn/Queen's species) wraps around the world. I can also buy the idea of a giant Daruma Horse. I'm having trouble imagining an uber-powerful version of Kiss, but his species being called Emperor Crow implies one is out there.

iirc Kiss and Quinn are really young as well so maybe they have adult counterparts with ludicrous CLs?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Zebra's horse is so preposterous already, I don't know. The thing is already bigger than a city.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chinaman7000 posted:

Zebra's horse is so preposterous already, I don't know. The thing is already bigger than a city.

In the Gourmet World, size and scale get thrown out the window. In just this last chapter, there was a turtle with what amounted to an entire castle on its back and it was easily dwarfed by other creatures in the wild.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

In the Gourmet World, size and scale get thrown out the window. In just this last chapter, there was a turtle with what amounted to an entire castle on its back and it was easily dwarfed by other creatures in the wild.

I was wondering if the the volcanos at the demon's feet were actually normal sized volcanos or not.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

alkanphel posted:

I was wondering if the the volcanos at the demon's feet were actually normal sized volcanos or not.

They're bite-sized.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cody Banks posted:

I thought the Cooking Festival arc was great. It set up an epic course for the future of the story, and managed to turn Midora into an interesting character. The amount of twists and plot-dump might have been a bit much for some, which is understandable.

Toriko is apparently going solo into Gourmet World, so I wouldn't expect the pace to slow down any time soon.

It would have been nice if they had spaced out the flashbacks a bit, though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The last chapter mentioned that the new arc would start on Weekly Jump 10. Was it printed already or something, because it's been a whole month...?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Plutonis posted:

The last chapter mentioned that the new arc would start on Weekly Jump 10. Was it printed already or something, because it's been a whole month...?

I thought that was to come out kinda this week or next week?

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
Jump issue 8 was released yesterday, so issue 10 should be released Feb 4th, so the scanlated chapter will probably come out around next Wednesday/Thursday. Jump takes off 2 weeks around Christmas/New Years, but we got the chapter that.came after that break earlier than usual this year, so that's why it'll be over a month between chapters.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
If you aren't watching the anime, we are on the Sani vs Tommy Rod fight. It is pretty fricken sweet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sonata Mused posted:

If you aren't watching the anime, we are on the Sani vs Tommy Rod fight. It is pretty fricken sweet.

What?! Man that feels so recent, I guess the Fest arc was just that long. Gotta go back through the anime and watch some choice moments, I haven't had the time to follow it since the Melk arc I think.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What?! Man that feels so recent, I guess the Fest arc was just that long. Gotta go back through the anime and watch some choice moments, I haven't had the time to follow it since the Melk arc I think.

I binged watched it. From memory, they managed to keep somewhat but not too far behind the manga with some occasional but decent filler. Kinda awesome, gotta admit.

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
I wish I could bump this thread with an actual translation rather than this:

http://www.mangabird.com/toriko-264?page=3

But aw man Toriko's back :haw:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Time Skip out of no where

Did not expect that. Feels sort of weird coming off of what happened before this.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

H.P. Grenade posted:

I wish I could bump this thread with an actual translation rather than this:

http://www.mangabird.com/toriko-264?page=3

But aw man Toriko's back :haw:
I took a look at the first few pages and said "Nope, I'll wait for a real translation."

Then I went, read Beelzebub, and came right back because goddamn it I needs me some Toriko. And drat what a chapter. The scales were already insane before, they seem to have gotten even crazier now. Can't wait for the inevitable flashbacks to figure out how the hell we went from entering Gourmet World to Toriko of the Apes featuring Komatsu. Also, Capsule Corp! That ought be interesting.

Also, anyone else catch themselves thinking, "Man, Komatsu's grown up!" but then remembered he's like in his twenties? That's always weird.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wow, it's been a while. Did not expected a one-year skip. And want to know how the hell did Komatsu got rescued from the Bishokukai.

Mountain Eating Pelican and Caveman Toriko are cool, though!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, Komatsu wasn't changed that much but all the little changes add up to him looking kinda weird now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Better translation is up by the way. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/221068/toriko_ch264_by_hi-wa-mata-noboru

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So I think it is very clear that this is a honeymoon.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
We don't get to see the daring rescue of the princess? I had to go double-check to see if I'd somehow missed a bunch of chapters. We better get a flashback! :argh:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well to be fair, dude was allowed to go free anyways if Midora wasn't in anyway lying. Perhaps they just saved us from having to read a "I'M HERE TO SAVE YOU" "But i'm allowed to leave anyways, let's go" chapter by doing this.

Edit: Not sure if this counts as spoilers or not, so I just slapped on some safety tags just in case.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Really don't like Komatsu's plastic surgery. Oh well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like to think of the muscle harem as a really, really long ongoing joke because I get the impression they'll probably set Toriko/Komatsu up with the poor beleaguered perfume girl and Setsuno's apprentice in the end. It seems pretty obvious but the shock when it does happen after an entire series of comedy food battles and homoerotic imagery/tension will be pretty funny.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

That capsule makes me think they're going back to a human world that has forgotten the taste of food.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm a bit surprised Toriko is actually bringing that egg back to the starving masses rather than eating it all himself.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Deki posted:

I'm a bit surprised Toriko is actually bringing that egg back to the starving masses rather than eating it all himself.

He needs to fatten up the population before eating them

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Wow.

That is my reaction.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013
It is literally raining volcanoes. Who the gently caress even thinks up poo poo like that?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Deki posted:

They are trying to pretend that Toriko possesses empathy even though he spent a year stuffing his face with the most delicious food imaginable while most humans were living through an unprecedented famine. Actually, this is completely consistent with the christmas story where they feed people one day of the year.

Toriko has a very weird moral code which no one else seems to share.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Toriko: Gumdrops, Marshmallows, and a chance of Mountains

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Serious Frolicking posted:

They are trying to pretend that Toriko possesses empathy even though he spent a year stuffing his face with the most delicious food imaginable while most humans were living through an unprecedented famine. Actually, this is completely consistent with the christmas story where they feed people one day of the year.

Toriko has a very weird moral code which no one else seems to share.

It's the Why Doesn't Reed Richards Cure Cancer conundrum applied to food.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AnonSpore posted:

It's the Why Doesn't Reed Richards Cure Cancer conundrum applied to food.

Actually it isn't, the goal is God which is supposed to cure all the worlds ills.

We Better Get a FLASHBACK on that timeskip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Toriko: Sunny with a chance of Mountains

Fixed it for you

• Locked thread