Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Univers Condensed (bold of course) would be alright - it's a bit old fashioned but it's legible and would fit well with the style of the numbers.

(Melbourne can have Comic Sans since that fits their style.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Having each club with a different font would be kinda cool.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
port adelaide would just get their players to tag their jumpers with a spray can

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
The reason I don't really want it is because football jumpers have no shoulders and therefore less room for the name at the top, so they use a crappy condensed font that makes it awful to read.
gently caress the back sponsor off the jumper (it'll never happen) and put it below the number and I can probably deal with it.

I like what a lot of baseball teams do where they only wear names at away games. Theory being fans at home know who the players are, fans away do not.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Having each club with a different font would be kinda cool.
Yeah but you know it's going to go the way of the EPL (which isn't a bad precedent, they actually commissioned a bespoke typeface for that) since you've already got the AFL logo on the numerals. Some of the soccer clubs still use a different font for Cup and European competitions.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

pkid posted:

I like what a lot of baseball teams do where they only wear names at away games. Theory being fans at home know who the players are, fans away do not.

That would go down well at Hawthorn, it'd double the number of jerseys they can flog.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
So I logged in for the first time today and see 50+ unread posts in the football thread and I'm thinking holy poo poo Campbell Brown must have beaten Guy McKenna to death or something and then I get in here and it's children arguing about the minutiae of jumper design.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
We really need the season to start.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

There's been no actually really new jumper designs (I think the Dees replacing the stars with the club logo's about as racy as it got) so we had to amuse ourselves somehow.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
we also got rid of the little collar from last year (which i actually liked)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know I would actually prefer it if we went MORE American not less. I'd rather over the top game day advertisements and cheerleading over the sponsorship logos we have plastered all over the jumpers now. The problem is that isn't going to happen. We will get the names jammed on there with the logos and gradually we will get the ridiculous game day advertising as well. The jumpers are already too crowded. Kill the ads and put the names there fine but it is going to be disgusting with both.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Lace-up jumpers. Bring'em back!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

thepokey posted:

Yeah I can whip out my phone and check a player's number that I don't know, but maybe I'm sitting on lvl 1 and a player runs by and I can clearly see the name printed too, which saves me fishing my phone out and missing something. It's not that big a deal.

HAHA. A working wireless connection at an AFL match? Stop making poo poo up.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I like player names on jumpers. When I feel like bashing some poor oval office after too many beers at the footy, i'll target a fan wearing the guernsey of a player I hate the most.

Windmill Hut fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 31, 2014

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Windmill Hut posted:

I like player names on jumpers. When I feel like bashing some poor oval office after too many beers at the footy, i'll target somone with the guernsey of a player I hate the most.

I was at a relative's 50th in Mackay whom had just returned from a second honeymoon in the states and themed the party as red white and blue. I wore my Bills jersey, number 94, Mario Williams. I think I ended up explaining to a dozen of the dense fucks that it wasn't my name, no my surname is not Williams, no I'm not American, yes I've heard of league, no it's not good, gently caress off in a cyclone you cane chewing hick.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I like the names being on the back. It makes it easier than trying to remember which new rookie player on your team is #46 and which is #47, and it also helps when I see an opposition player who I just can't place. And if the only argument against it is "it might look stupid, and will be ineffective at a distance" then there's not really any argument against it.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Ultimatefooty is up.

This will be the nominated keeper league at year's end.

http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/229829/
10 teams
p/w: goontasm
DRAFT TIME: 21st Feb 7:15pm, 1min per pick.

DETAILS

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like the idea of having names on the back because I'm a darn casual who pretty much only watches games on TV due to there being no AFL in my city ever and I don't even know the names of most of the players on the team I go for, also it will help me identify which players have beards and thus need to be on my Supercoach team.

PS is there an AFL Twitter address, I need to ask them for a comprehensive list of bearded AFL players.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

This would be fine in my opinion.. as long as they changed it to papyrus.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Looks dumb. Seriously, there's gently caress all room up top, this isn't like a hockey or gridiron jersey. The text will have to be so small that it's going to be illegible even from ground level. As was said this is clearly a TV thing, but when guys are running East-West on the telly you won't see the nameplates anyway. We've gone this long without them, don't see why it's a necessity to introduce them now to be honest.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 31, 2014

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Chairchucker posted:

I like the idea of having names on the back because I'm a darn casual who pretty much only watches games on TV due to there being no AFL in my city ever and I don't even know the names of most of the players on the team I go for, also it will help me identify which players have beards and thus need to be on my Supercoach team.

PS is there an AFL Twitter address, I need to ask them for a comprehensive list of bearded AFL players.

https://twitter.com/SimmosBeard

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

Nutsngum posted:

This would be fine in my opinion.. as long as they changed it to papyrus.

Yeah that would be fine, but the name is taking up the most prime bit of real estate on the back for sponsorship.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lol
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-31/pies-sack-recruiter

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

xcore posted:

HAHA. A working wireless connection at an AFL match? Stop making poo poo up.

You know the weird thing is before last year I'd have thought the same. Then last year I started getting not too bad Internet at games. Friends would be battling with their phones at half time and I'd generally have a decent connection. Not sure what witchcraft was behind it.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

So here's the first pass at my supercoach team.

Structure for the team is as follows
BACKLINE - Premium, Premium, Potential Premium, Mid-Pricer, Rookie, Rookie, (Rookie, Rookie)
MIDS - Premium, Premium, Premium, Potential Premium, Potential Premium, Rookie, Rookie, Rookie, (Rookie, Rookie)
FORWARDS - Premium, Premium, Potential Premium, Mid-Pricer, Rookie, Rookie, (Rookie, Rookie)
RUCKS - Premium, Mid-Pricer, (Rookie, Rookie)

edit: obligatory Daw mention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ83Gip2uWg

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 31, 2014

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The cheating never ends

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What is the likelihood of ASADA coming down on some of the Essendon players prior to the season anyway? Nothing has stirred on that front, it's all been in the front office.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
He only got caught because he used his work email to do it too. What a bright spark.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

What is the likelihood of ASADA coming down on some of the Essendon players prior to the season anyway? Nothing has stirred on that front, it's all been in the front office.

No one can say for sure. The various media pundits keep nominating dates (by Australia Day was the last one, now it's just before round 1) but they've been wrong since the AFL did it's thing just before finals. The word on BigFooty (yeah, I know) seems to be either that Dank is the last guy left to interview and if they haven't called him in by now they probably won't, and if they haven't found anything incriminating enough to recommend charges by now they never will; or that ASADA are sitting on a big pile of incriminating evidence and are waiting for something before they release it all and ban half of Essendon's list. It depends on who you ask.

I think this is the latest non-Caro/Robbo piece on the topic:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/asada-has-its-work-cut-out-for-it-in-proving-a-case-against-essendon-players-20131220-2zqr9.html

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
You'd imagine they would want to interview dank before laying charges so they don't get completely blindsided by something, gently caress knows why they havent yet if they are going to though, given they supposedly have powers to compel him to appear now.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

You know the weird thing is before last year I'd have thought the same. Then last year I started getting not too bad Internet at games. Friends would be battling with their phones at half time and I'd generally have a decent connection. Not sure what witchcraft was behind it.

Yeah prior to 2013 I could never get a data connection at the footy but last year I never had a problem except at games with over 80k in attendance. Something has improved a lot at the g.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

You'd imagine they would want to interview dank before laying charges so they don't get completely blindsided by something, gently caress knows why they havent yet if they are going to though, given they supposedly have powers to compel him to appear now.

They have compelled a couple of others but Dank made the big fuss about taking them to court because he could be forced to incriminate himself which is against the law or something. If the record keeping at Essendon is any indication any 'documents' he produces will be sauce and pie smeared napkins with some scribbles on them.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah, that makes sense that they would leave him till last, since now if a court rules against their use of new powers they have at least done all the other interviews.

It doesn't seem like you would be able to use not incriminating yourself as a reason to avoid interview completely, more an individual question by question type thing but :shrug:

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

TG-Chrono posted:

Ultimatefooty is up.

The only fantasy AFL (or fantasy sport of any kind) I've played is Supercoach. Anyone mind giving me a brief rundown of the differences between that and Ultimate Footy, if any?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

tnimark posted:

The only fantasy AFL (or fantasy sport of any kind) I've played is Supercoach. Anyone mind giving me a brief rundown of the differences between that and Ultimate Footy, if any?

Ultimate footy involves drafting an actual team from the actual player pool and managing a list. You score based on the performance of your players. The main difference is that no team has the same players, each team is unique based on how you drafted and you can trade/delist/list players as you wish with no limitations per week. It's pretty much the same as any Yahoo/ESPN fantasy league for other sports. In my opinion it's way better than supercoach because it's an actual competition instead of rankings against teams that are all pretty much identical. Oh and there's no salary cap.

Supercoach draft last year was utter poo poo and I recommend staying the gently caress away from it.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 31, 2014

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

These are pretty good videos. They certainly reinforce that Majak is an absolute beast in the gym. He did some impress looking stuff like benching poo poo tons of weight but that bit where is squatting with the weight hanging between his legs is awesome. The weight barely moves side to side or back and forth. His core strength must be off the charts for that. The media guy tries it and it's all over the shop.
His show muscles are good but it looks like his go muscles are even better.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
That's odd, he doesnt look much like Nic Nat in that video at all.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Ultimate footy involves drafting an actual team from the actual player pool and managing a list. You score based on the performance of your players. The main difference is that no team has the same players, each team is unique based on how you drafted and you can trade/delist/list players as you wish with no limitations per week. It's pretty much the same as any Yahoo/ESPN fantasy league for other sports. In my opinion it's way better than supercoach because it's an actual competition instead of rankings against teams that are all pretty much identical. Oh and there's no salary cap.

Supercoach draft last year was utter poo poo and I recommend staying the gently caress away from it.

Yeah I did Supercoach draft last year and I agree, it was a goddamn mess. I've just been having a look at the Ultimate Footy FAQ and it looks way better. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
I'm 95% sure Ultimate Footy just uses the Yahoo infrastructure for their website so it doesn't surprise me that it's the best-working draft site.

• Locked thread