Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

xcheopis posted:

More library books! Anthology of Chinese Literature by Cyril Birch (2 volumes), Hyperbole-and-a-half, and a few from Eva Ibbotson. These ought to get me through the next week!

I missed the release of Hyperbole and a Half? I'm broke As poo poo right now and ordering the hell out of it, anyway.

Also, picked up a used copy of Storm front to dip my toes in the Dresden Files. The first chapter is looking super promising. Which is good because I need a fair bit of silly escapism right now. Then on to some Vonnegut to brood before tackling my backlog of not comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

I missed the release of Hyperbole and a Half? I'm broke As poo poo right now and ordering the hell out of it, anyway.

I'm really enjoying it. I don't think it's as hilarious as Let's Pretend This Never Happened but that's a pretty high bar. New comics and old! ("go to the motherfucking bank like an adult!") My one complaint is that the comics had to be reduced for the book size. Boooo!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I just found out a small local publisher (Dragonfall Press) has closed its doors, so I've decided to track down the rest of their books and read them all as a part of my reading challenge this year. I now have Catalina, Once Upon A Time There Were Elephants, Strangeworld, The Airmen and What The Dead Said.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I got House of Leaves for Christmas, and a day later my Kindle got run over and destroyed so it's all I have available to read now. It's almost like the book wanted me to open it.

I'm only five chapters in, so it hasn't become hugely complex yet (which people warned me about), but it's already scary as hell. Staying up late to read it by candlelight in the big, empty old house we are staying in probably hasnt helped...

m1chelin man
Jan 6, 2014

by angerbeet
began Ernest Hemingway: A Life Story by Carlos Baker

so far very good, takes you from birth to death. very comprehensive.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut.

"Make love when you can. It's good for you" - Vonnegut in his 1966 introduction. It'll be a quick read and Vonnegut is always fun.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson. I already read The Haunting of Hill House and loved it, and so this collection has surprised and impressed me with just how different it is so far. She still displays a mastery of suspense and the ability to observe the poignancy of small details and character quirks, but then some of these stories are very, very difficult for me to really understand.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just found The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx in an op shop, and I just began All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

LordPants posted:

I just found The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx in an op shop, and I just began All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy

If Gulag Archipelago isn't enough depressing Russian literature for you, check out In the First Circle by Solzhenitsyn. I think it's his most interesting work, and the differences in editions are pretty astounding.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. My wife tossed me a copy out of left field as a present. So far Onkonkwo is a big strong grunt of a warrior man stewing over his lazy artsy father with foreshadowing that he is going to wind up somewhere between. A Nigerian fable written from 1959 may not be a quick read, but promises to be a good study of human nature.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I really enjoyed Things Fall Apart and I hope that you do too.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It is pretty good and I will be ~ 1/3 of the way through it by the time I tuck into bed.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I just picked up Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. King's stuff lately has been pretty good so I'm looking forward to starting it tonight.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
The Sound and the Fury. loving hell, this book is depressing (I just finished Benjy's part).

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Neuromancer by William Gibson.

I love the BBC radio play and am looking forward to reading the novel.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just finished Falling Free and am now starting Shards of Honor. I've heard so much about the Vorkosigan Saga, that I figured I give it a shot.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Started up The Darwin Elevator which is really enjoyable so far due to the audiobook's Australian narrator.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 12, 2014

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Reading Les croisades vues par les arabes (The Crusades through Arab Eyes) by Amin Maalouf. A fascinating and refreshing spin on the crusades.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Just started Faulkner's The Reivers this morning. Been looking forward to this one, it's supposed to be a lighter read than, say, The Sound and The Fury or Absalom, Absalom! He won a Pulitzer for it, too.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Sewer, Gas and Electric by Matt Ruff

OWLS! gave me a copy and has been yelling at me to read it. Looking forward to finally getting to it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I had a long-ish airplane ride back on the 19th, and on a friend's recommendation I picked up WOOL by Hugh Howey. Read most of it on the flight, finished the rest a few days later. In return I bought my friend copies of A Canticle for Leibowitz and On The Beach, two of my favorite post-apocalypse novels (I kinda have a thing for the genre).

Will likely be picking up the Shift prequel book (with all three collected Shift stories) soon, if I can find it locally and easily.

ondskapenslord
Dec 18, 2013
I just started reading "Sudden Terror", a book written by a detective that worked on the case of the infamous east area rapist aka the original night stalker. I was facinated by the case after reading the wikipedia article and watching a couple of short documentaries on the case. Larry Crompton writing isn't that good, but the subject it self is interesting enough.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Just started A Fire Upon the Deep and quite enjoying it. The blend of a fantasy world in a Sci-Fi universe is quite intriguing.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

minidracula posted:

I had a long-ish airplane ride back on the 19th, and on a friend's recommendation I picked up WOOL by Hugh Howey. Read most of it on the flight, finished the rest a few days later. In return I bought my friend copies of A Canticle for Leibowitz and On The Beach, two of my favorite post-apocalypse novels (I kinda have a thing for the genre).

Will likely be picking up the Shift prequel book (with all three collected Shift stories) soon, if I can find it locally and easily.

I really liked Wool and found Shift to be highly readable too. And I LOVE On the Beach. So A Canticle for Leibowitz is bumped to my next read thanks to you, after I finish The Idiot and The Gone Away World. (The latter I don't know what the gently caress's going on, while the former is strangely compelling)

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Just began "A Test of Wills" by Charles Todd. I was in the mood for a mystery and we had this one sitting around. Funny, it was written by a mother/son writing team--I couldn't even imagine what hellish nightmare writing a book with my mom would be...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

tonytheshoes posted:

Just began "A Test of Wills" by Charles Todd. I was in the mood for a mystery and we had this one sitting around. Funny, it was written by a mother/son writing team--I couldn't even imagine what hellish nightmare writing a book with my mom would be...

We had them at my store a while back and they're super-cool people and seem to get along really well. Haven't read any of their books, though.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
That's awesome. I love my mom to death, but the sheer amount of nitpicking would send me over the edge.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I just started Richard Ellmann's biography of James Joyce. I've been meaning to read it for a while and Joyce would've turned 132 this weekend, so I figured it was as good a time as any. It's good so far, a ton of information but it reads pretty easily, not at all as scholarly as I thought it would (I kind of half expected it'd be like reading a thesis). It's making me want to go dig out my copy of Ulysses, but that's in storage until the summer.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The Metamorphosis by Kafka.

Haven't read anything from him before, this is reminding me of the movie Naked Lunch so far.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
Hit up the public library for the first time in a while, grabbed Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs (by Chuck Klosterman) and Adam Copeland on Edge. Probably buying Catching Fire next time I open the Kindle app on my phone.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
Simon Morden of the Petrovitch series has just come out with a new book, Arcanum. It's pretty good so far!

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010
Having been impressed with how good Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies were, both of which I read this past January, I'm trying more female-authored, Man Booker-winning, historical fiction in The Luminaries. I was enthralled by Wolf Hall- I didn't want it to end. And luckily it was a good 600 pages, and it's sequel was more of the same, in the good way. So far, The Luminaries is getting me just as hooked. Is there anything better than the feeling of enjoyment the act of reading a new, good book brings?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Stavrogin posted:

Is there anything better than the feeling of enjoyment the act of reading a new, good book brings?

No. It is the best feeling. (And I had it reading Mantel, too.)

For me it's a feeling of relief, like "oh gently caress thank god I have something to read for the next X amount of time." And it's contrasted to that horrible time in between, when you're looking and looking, trying new authors that are just sorta, eh, alright I guess, but nothin' like the last one, until you finally find one who can really hook you. Bonus points when you discover this author you've just fallen in love with -- but had never heard of before -- has an already-existing large body of work.

Edit: for relevant content, I just ordered Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England by Judith Flanders and What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew: From Fox Hunting to Whist-the Facts of Daily Life in Nineteenth-Century England by Daniel Pool. I have a bunch of books on Victorian England, but they're all broad strokes about political shifts and major events. I just want to know random weird details about daily life. How much did X cost? What was the schedule like for such-and-such kind of profession? Etc.

Both non-fiction, so I suspect I won't have that feeling of fresh discovery, unless either Pool or Flanders end up being the next Peter Ackroyd or Bill Bryson.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 6, 2014

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

I just picked up The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett today. I'm not sure if it is the best place to start with Discworld but it has been a fun read.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Double post. Still reading the same book.

Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014
I'm starting on Metro 2033. I bought it at the same time I bought City of Thieves by David Benidff. I also bought War on Our Doorstep: The Unknown Campaign on North America's West Cost by Brendan Coyle, because I'm boring and love reading history books.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He Drank, and Saw the Spider by Alex Bledsoe.

I've been meaning to read it since I bought it, but since I just finished a re-read of the previous 4 books, figured I'd go ahead and start this one.

I like this series. It's sort of a detective series meets old fantasy swordplay. There aren't elves or anything, it's just set in mythological olden could be middle age england but it's totally not cause of reasons that ~HANDWAVE~.

The... gently caress I can't really call him a hero, the protagonist is a semi broken down sword jockey, who gets hired by people to do stuff or find out stuff, and mysteries happen around him. It probably helps that both me and the author think of Jeffrey Dean Morgan when we have the mental picture of who would play him in a movie.

The series is pretty well written and has its twists and turns, but for the most part it's really enjoyable.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I just started I'm Dying Up Here, William Knoedelseder's look at the LA standup comedy scene in the late 70s. It's an interesting read so far, but each chapter feels like a separate newspaper column, only sort of related to the next.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
I just started Insurgent by Veronica Roth. It's the second book of the Divergent series. I'm about halfway through and i'm beginning to realize its much worse than the first one, which I loved. It lacks depth..

Seems to me like she just wanted to push out another book for more money.The plot is erratic and feels dreamlike, beause every chapter I find myself somewhere new with no idea of how I got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010
Having devoured three recent Man Booker winners (Wolf Hall, Bring Up the Bodies, and The Luminaries), I'm jumping back in MB history to read both of J.G. Farrell's winners, The Siege of Krishnapur and Troubles, which works perfectly as I collect Knopf's "Everyman's Library" clothbound series, and they recently published these two together. Three birds with one stone!

• Locked thread