Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Devour posted:

I don't think it is at all. Watching the Giger Aliens slaughter teenagers in AVP2 was infinitely more entertaining than watching that loving humanoid alien at the end of Resurrection believing Ripley was/is it's mother. Not to mention the thing looked absolutely retarded/ridiculous.

It could have been worse.

:nms::nms: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Alien-_Resurrection_-_Newborn.jpg

They edited out the vagina in post production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Pook Good Mook posted:

It could have been worse.

:nms::nms: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Alien-_Resurrection_-_Newborn.jpg

They edited out the vagina in post production

:stonklol: I wonder what made them decide to scrap this idea!

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Devour posted:

:stonklol: I wonder what made them decide to scrap this idea!

This, but legitimately, because aliens are big penis rape monsters.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Splicer posted:

AvP2 makes a lot more sense when you realise that it's actually Space Die Hard/Rambo/Commando. The Bruce Willis/Sylvester Stallone/Arnold Schwarzennegger character is that Predator dude. "Grooargh" is Predator for "I wasn't even supposed to be working today."

He was one day to retirement! :argh:

But no, I think AvP2 would have been better if they had just focused on one human group (I would have chosen the female soldier returning home) then trying to introduce several groups, and then not have enough screen time to adequately develop them all.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Serious Cephalopod posted:

This, but legitimately, because aliens are big penis rape monsters.

If it's head was one big vagina they would've rolled with it.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Pneub posted:

If it's head was one big vagina they would've rolled with it.

It says a lot about society that obvious penis imagery is fine, but a vagina is going too far.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Esroc posted:

Oh, there's something irritating about movies. Alien planets that consist entirely of one environment and alien races whose members all look identical.

There's an episode of Stargate SG-1 where they step into a stargate to return home, but there's a power surge and the team ends up in two different places. Half the team arrives home and the other half on an "ice planet" which turns out to actually be Antarctica.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Esroc posted:

It says a lot about society that obvious penis imagery is fine, but a vagina is going too far.
The regular Aliens use penis imagery, not actual penises. Various aspects of their anatomy are reminiscent of penisy things. That is not vagina imagery, it's the humalien's vagina. If the drones in Alien Resurrection had been walking around with actual giant waggly dongs they'd be getting the :stonklol: treatment too.

e: actually there's loads of vagina imagery in the Alien series. The facehugger is basically a giant vagina spider penis.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Jan 31, 2014

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Esroc posted:

When I first saw Alien & Aliens in the 90's I never thought of them as giant penis monsters until I read about it on this horrible thing called the internet in the last 10 years.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Splicer posted:

The regular Aliens use penis imagery, not actual penises. Various aspects of their anatomy are reminiscent of penisy things. That is not vagina imagery, it's the humalien's vagina. If the drones in Alien Resurrection had been walking around with actual giant waggly dongs they'd be getting the :stonklol: treatment too.

e: actually there's loads of vagina imagery in the Alien series. The facehugger is basically a giant vagina spider penis.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't think of the facehuggers. I just have an extreme disdain for misogyny so I'm prone to knee-jerk reactions regarding the subject. Though in retrospect having a vaguely dick-shaped alien head isn't quite as blatant as a massive pulsing red vagina on the aliens stomach. So I can sorta see why they changed their minds.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Esroc posted:

Yeah, you're right. I didn't think of the facehuggers. I just have an extreme disdain for misogyny so I'm prone to knee-jerk reactions regarding the subject. Though in retrospect having a vaguely dick-shaped alien head isn't quite as blatant as a massive pulsing red vagina on the aliens stomach. So I can sorta see why they changed their minds.

I read somewhere that the alien/human hybrid was supposed to originally have both sets of genitalia. Apparently that was too much for some people.

Why the director then decided to scrap the dick and keep the massive stomach vagina complete with clitoris is beyond me though.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Esroc posted:

The egg slits are labia, too, in at least on movie. Labia headed alien would be pretty boss, though.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Devour posted:

When I first saw Alien & Aliens in the 90's I never thought of them as giant penis monsters until I read about it on this horrible thing called the internet in the last 10 years.

One of my good friends still doesn't see all the rape and sex imagery in Alien. Talking about it out loud to someone who just couldn't see it made me start to wonder if I was just seeing dicks where they weren't. Turns out there actually are dicks everywhere in that movie, so I saved a lot of money on therapy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Devour posted:

You're not supposed to notice it too much when watching the film, but your subconscious will (unless you're too young), leaving you unsettled and off balance. If it was too blatant you'd just be laughing at the aliens with dicks for heads.

Esroc posted:

That's why you pick your battles carefully, as otherwise people won't listen when you have legitimate points to make!

Serious Cephalopod posted:

The egg slits are labia, too, in at least on movie. Labia headed alien would be pretty boss, though.
Pretty drat boss

Splicer has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Jan 31, 2014

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Pook Good Mook posted:

I read somewhere that the alien/human hybrid was supposed to originally have both sets of genitalia. Apparently that was too much for some people.

Why the director then decided to scrap the dick and keep the massive stomach vagina complete with clitoris is beyond me though.

It does have both sets of genitals, but the penis head is fused back into the vagina. Is an actual sentence I just wrote.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's not really the domain of this thread, but I'm of the opinion that the Alien design has become so iconic in its own right that the phallic symbolism doesn't even factor in for most people. There's no room for "this scares me and I'm not sure why, turns out it's a penis" when you've been conditioned to understand that This Alien Is Dangerous And Will Kill You.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When you hire H.R. Giger to design something you better believe a penis will be involved. In fact that's probably the main reason you call on him unless you're just really into blue and grey.

Let's take a look at Necronom IV, the Giger painting the whole xenomorph design is based on, shall we? (If we are at work, we shall maybe not.)

potentially :nws: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/H.R._Giger_-_Necronom_IV.jpg :nws:

:dong:

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

When you hire H.R. Giger to design something you better believe a penis will be involved. In fact that's probably the main reason you call on him unless you're just really into blue and grey.

Let's take a look at Necronom IV, the Giger painting the whole xenomorph design is based on, shall we? (If we are at work, we shall maybe not.)

potentially :nws: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/H.R._Giger_-_Necronom_IV.jpg :nws:

:dong:
Hmmn, yess, the scariest monster...:nws:http://www.vitadiscount.com/vitasprings/dick-balls-latex-penis-mask-california-exotic-novelties.jpg:nws:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ah yes, the Asylum version.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Watching Rocky V for the first time, the reporters are all talking poo poo about Tommy Gun. Why aren't they asking questions? They're telling him he sucks and that his girlfriend's a whore and poo poo. At least phrase that poo poo in the form of a question!

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
I think I'm the only person whose favourite Alien movie is Resurrection. It's just so gleefully disgusting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It has a soft spot for me because when I looked at the ship's crew for the first time, not knowing it had been written by Joss Whedon, I looked at the cripple and Ron Perlman's rear end in a top hat character and thought "they are so hosed." I thought for sure the captain was going to get to the end at least. So for subverting my expectations more or less entirely, it gets a point.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Esroc posted:

While the second AvP was so bad I never finished it, I felt the first one was fairly nifty. Not on par with the majority of the films in its parent franchises, certainly. But still not particularly awful. The Grid Alien was a nice change of pace to create a xenomorph with some personality rather than the faceless drones usually used. And I've always been irritated by the complaining over the Predators being big and muscular. They are members of an entire race of humanoid creatures. Why would every member of the species have the same body-type?

I vaguely remember reading some of the terrible AvP books that said it's a cultural thing. Predators are complete dicks and brutally beat each other down in order to get the best gear, spots in a hunt, or last tin of pudding. Anyone that's not a swole as gently caress dickwad probably doesn't make it out of adolescence.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Razorwired posted:

I vaguely remember reading some of the terrible AvP books that said it's a cultural thing. Predators are complete dicks and brutally beat each other down in order to get the best gear, spots in a hunt, or last tin of pudding. Anyone that's not a swole as gently caress dickwad probably doesn't make it out of adolescence.

The simpler explanation is that it's like asking why we don't see fat Olympic runners. If you're good enough to go hunting, you're fit as hell. If you're not fit as hell, you stay on the Predator homeworld and become an accountant.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was watching the new trailer for Amazing Spiderman 2 and as much as I like the costume design, I noticed his eyes/lenses were made of glass. Raimi's suit did the same thing and whenever Alex Ross paints Spiderman, he paints the eyes as lenses too.

Now, why would an amature (impossible to spell check word found!) superhero, or even an experienced one for that matter, cover one of the most vulnerable and essential parts of his body with something that could so easily shatter and cut up his eyes? Dude gets in heinous fist fights, dodges explosions and gets thrown all over the place all the time so he decides to make sure that in the event he's punched in the face or catches some shrapnel, he has the added danger of shattered glass getting in his eyes and being blinded?

A thin mesh, similar to a bridal veil, a white nylon stocking or something like that would make a lot more sense.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I was watching the new trailer for Amazing Spiderman 2 and as much as I like the costume design, I noticed his eyes/lenses were made of glass. Raimi's suit did the same thing and whenever Alex Ross paints Spiderman, he paints the eyes as lenses too.

Now, why would an amature (impossible to spell check word found!) superhero, or even an experienced one for that matter, cover one of the most vulnerable and essential parts of his body with something that could so easily shatter and cut up his eyes? Dude gets in heinous fist fights, dodges explosions and gets thrown all over the place all the time so he decides to make sure that in the event he's punched in the face or catches some shrapnel, he has the added danger of shattered glass getting in his eyes and being blinded?

A thin mesh, similar to a bridal veil, a white nylon stocking or something like that would make a lot more sense.

No it wouldn't. Those lenses could be fairly thick and made of some heavy duty poo poo. You can't really tell from the costume itself. You ever try to punch out a car window? It's actually hard as gently caress to do, and that glass is pretty thin. They could also just be plastic. Either way, the size and shape of the lenses would disperse the force of any blow against them over a much wider area of Spiderman's face as well. Actually, I think he'd be more likely to get blinded if someone punched him in the eye and all that was covering it was a sock because that's just going to hit his eye directly with no protection at all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

No it wouldn't. Those lenses could be fairly thick and made of some heavy duty poo poo. You can't really tell from the costume itself. You ever try to punch out a car window? It's actually hard as gently caress to do, and that glass is pretty thin. They could also just be plastic. Either way, the size and shape of the lenses would disperse the force of any blow against them over a much wider area of Spiderman's face as well. Actually, I think he'd be more likely to get blinded if someone punched him in the eye and all that was covering it was a sock because that's just going to hit his eye directly with no protection at all.

Pretty sure I remember seeing Toby's lenses shattered to poo poo in SM2 (or maybe SW1), but whatever. Thanks for the scientific tactical lesson as it relates to things that cover superhero's eyes. Sorry for being irrational. No, I never tried to punch out a car window, but I'm not the Green Goblin, the Lizard or Doc Ock either so maybe you have a point.

Then again, come to think of it, no you don't, and gently caress you. I'm trying to be irrational here. Where did Peter get get his "fairly thick" and "heavy duty poo poo" lenses from? Pretty sure dude was ordering bicycle shirts online and was silkscreening spandex in his bedroom on a shoestring budget. So he shaped the "hard as gently caress to break" windshield glass/plastic into perfectly shaped tactical force damage reduction lenses and sewed them into his mask, all from the comfort of this aunt's bedroom?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty sure I remember seeing Toby's lenses shattered to poo poo in SM2 (or maybe SW1), but whatever. Thanks for the scientific tactical lesson as it relates to things that cover superhero's eyes. Sorry for being irrational. No, I never tried to punch out a car window, but I'm not the Green Goblin, the Lizard or Doc Ock either so maybe you have a point.

Then again, come to think of it, no you don't, and gently caress you. I'm trying to be irrational here. Where did Peter get get his "fairly thick" and "heavy duty poo poo" lenses from? Pretty sure dude was ordering bicycle shirts online and was silkscreening spandex in his bedroom on a shoestring budget. So he shaped the "hard as gently caress to break" windshield glass/plastic into perfectly shaped tactical force damage reduction lenses and sewed them into his mask, all from the comfort of this aunt's bedroom?

He received the suit from a dance class, silk screened some webs on it, and the lenses were from a heavy two-way mirror (why a highschool ever needs a two way mirror is beyond me), he made a mask and webshooters and BAM! Spider-Man.

He has the most poorly designed and slapped together costume ever for a major superhero. It's part of the reason he's so awesome. His lenses are made of the same material as Superman's cape, which somehow doesn't get shredded in rubble all the time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

The simpler explanation is that it's like asking why we don't see fat Olympic runners. If you're good enough to go hunting, you're fit as hell. If you're not fit as hell, you stay on the Predator homeworld and become an accountant.

I would love to see a Predator accountant.

TV show, but in American Horror Story: Murder House, is there a reason Moira wants her body to be found so badly, other than it might give her mom some closure? I doubt any other bodies from the ghosts, save Violet and the exterminator, are left in the house somewhere, and everyone else is still stuck, so her body being unearthed wouldn't do her any good escaping the house.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

BiggerBoat posted:

Then again, come to think of it, no you don't, and gently caress you. I'm trying to be irrational here. Where did Peter get get his "fairly thick" and "heavy duty poo poo" lenses from?

Dude bought a pair of military (or motorcycle, or snowboarding) goggles from the local surplus store and sewed the lenses into his mask?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I would love to see a Predator accountant.

I would watch the poo poo out of an Office Space remake set on Predator Homeworld.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

cyberia posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of an Office Space remake set on Predator Homeworld.

"This stupid loving printer won't work!"
*sets off nuclear bomb*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with both sets of Spider-Man movies is that they just kind of hand wave away how Peter gets the "hero" suit. Neither one looks like something hand made or from just off the shelf pieces.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MrJacobs posted:

He received the suit from a dance class, silk screened some webs on it, and the lenses were from a heavy two-way mirror (why a highschool ever needs a two way mirror is beyond me), he made a mask and webshooters and BAM! Spider-Man.

He has the most poorly designed and slapped together costume ever for a major superhero. It's part of the reason he's so awesome. His lenses are made of the same material as Superman's cape, which somehow doesn't get shredded in rubble all the time.

Catwoman's suit was pretty slapdash, yo.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Morpheus posted:

"This stupid loving printer won't work!"
*sets off nuclear bomb*

*Predator flips open wrist-detonator*
"PC Load Letter? What the gently caress does that me-*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM*

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The problem with both sets of Spider-Man movies is that they just kind of hand wave away how Peter gets the "hero" suit. Neither one looks like something hand made or from just off the shelf pieces.

Wasn't it adapted from his wrestling uniform in Spider-Man 2002? Or am I mixing that up with something else?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Wasn't it adapted from his wrestling uniform in Spider-Man 2002? Or am I mixing that up with something else?

Nope, his wrestling uniform was sweatpants, longsleeve shirt, ski mask, and gardening gloves.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Not to say it isn't handwaving but I recall a brief montage in the first Tobey Maguire Spidey film where he improves the suit. Unless I'm imagining it... I have a distinct memory of at least him drawing improved designs in a notebook or something before they show the new suit, so it's not just voila new suit but they definitely didn't cover the crafting process thoroughly, my guess would be due to time concerns for a summer action flick.

I understand the budget concerns of how he afforded the suit, because a constant theme in the trilogy is how broke he is. Was he selling photos to the newspaper at that point? It would help with the cost issue a little bit, at least.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Byzantine posted:

In Ultimate Spider-Man, his costume was actually just a wrestling costume that was made for him.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

muscles like this? posted:

I think it was in the Cameron draft of the script and one of the few bits of it I found myself really liking, but there was a point in the story where Peter had been Spidey long enough to become popular and needed a new Spider-Man costume.

As such, he ended up buying a knock-off at a costume shop that the script I think says is better than his homemade one.

Which, all things considered, is sort of a fun element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think it was in the Cameron draft of the script and one of the few bits of it I found myself really liking, but there was a point in the story where Peter had been Spidey long enough to become popular and needed a new Spider-Man costume.

As such, he ended up buying a knock-off at a costume shop that the script I think says is better than his homemade one.

Which, all things considered, is sort of a fun element.

Oh man that would have been great. Sort of reminds me of that one time in the comic where a lady gave him a reward in the form of a check made out to "Spider-man" but he couldn't cash it because he didn't have proper I.D.

• Locked thread