Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
How the gently caress are people so loving stupid?

I mean that's not willful ignorance, that's straight up loving stupidity. Do these people have jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Wow. I had to take a look for meteorological sake...it's just the soot from the lighter making it black. :psyduck: And it's clearly melting in the video.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

At least the people in the comments of the video are smart and calling out her BS.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
FAKE SNOW BURNS LIKE PLASTIC IS CHEMTRAIL-SPRAYED NANO-PARTICLES 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrpQ9Pf6hCI

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Well thats a level of nuttiness one up from the usual "SNOW=GLOBAL WARMING IS A SCAM" type conspiracy.

God drat it, the madness never ends.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pd187 posted:

FAKE SNOW BURNS LIKE PLASTIC IS CHEMTRAIL-SPRAYED NANO-PARTICLES 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrpQ9Pf6hCI

He totally put on his best hunting bandana and ball cap for the video.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
On the subject of conspiracies, I completely forgot there are actually "Free Jahar!" people until today when it was in the news for the Feds seeking the death penalty.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Amused to Death posted:

On the subject of conspiracies, I completely forgot there are actually "Free Jahar!" people until today when it was in the news for the Feds seeking the death penalty.

Isn't that just more a case of people going crazy over a killer than some kind of conspiracy? It's hosed up as hell but didn't people like Ted Bundy have similar fans for the same hosed up reasons?

Though with the Free Jahar crowd I guess there's a(n un)healthy mix of government conspiracy he-was-set-up-false-flag-attack Alex Jones types in there as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God I hate this kind of poo poo

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/monsantocorn.asp

People share that image all over facebook and because it already plays into GMO IS KILLING US fears people have. You can't even post snopes articles anymore because the right says George Soros runs it, and the left claims its owned by corporations.

Anti-gmo is a religion now, its not based on anything even remotely factual and is all faith and doctrine.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
All that Snopes has accomplished, ultimately, is to make people add "this has BEEN VERIFIED BY SNOPES" to their faxlore forwards.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Miss-Bomarc posted:

All that Snopes has accomplished, ultimately, is to make people add "this has BEEN VERIFIED BY SNOPES" to their faxlore forwards.

Which is sad, because actual snopes articles will cite sources and other hallmarks of actual research. Oh and the person who posted it said, when that snopes page actually said "I try to keep an open mind, but anyone who disagree with it is just a tool of Monsanto". Yea, that's not keeping an open mind.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
My favorite is when you bother to check the snopes article on anything that says verified by snopes, it probably says the exact opposite.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

As someone who lives in a snowy state, this "FAKE SNOW!!!!" conspiracy stuff is hilarious to me. Newborn puppies handle their first interactions with snow better that these people do.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Which one of you Goons is trying to monetize this thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VmpDQs3WA0

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

RagnarokAngel posted:

My favorite is when you bother to check the snopes article on anything that says verified by snopes, it probably says the exact opposite.

Most people miss what the point of Snopes is. It's meant to be a source of reference about urban legends and Internet folklore and will debunk things where it can. Snopes isn't a source of scientific validity.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The "Let's mock the South" thread in GBS has thrown up a few up these people.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

SnowedOutAtlanta on FB is a goldmine:

It's been a while since I read something that literally made me say out loud, "Are you loving retarded?"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I can't believe how many people on my Facebook are falling for this plastic snow poo poo. It's absolutely unbelievable. I've never even lived in a region where it snows (have only been around it on vacation) and even I didn't fall for this crap

Like you'd have to just be incredibly gullible or have never been around snow before

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It probably does have contaminates in them that are harmful to people, but guess what, that's what you get for lax environmental regulations for decades.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

twistedmentat posted:

It probably does have contaminates in them that are harmful to people, but guess what, that's what you get for lax environmental regulations for decades.

This has nothing to do with environmental regulations, it's a whole other :can: and you'll only find a trace amount of chemicals in precipitation. Trace amounts of chemical in frozen water do not make it burn like plastic or styrofoam.

QuarkJets posted:

I can't believe how many people on my Facebook are falling for this plastic snow poo poo. It's absolutely unbelievable. I've never even lived in a region where it snows (have only been around it on vacation) and even I didn't fall for this crap

Like you'd have to just be incredibly gullible or have never been around snow before

These people don't even understand the fact that water has a high specific heat so of course it will take a loving while for the snow to melt. Even under a flame.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Protocolsoftheeldersofzion.jpg

ThePeavstenator posted:

This has nothing to do with environmental regulations, it's a whole other :can: and you'll only find a trace amount of chemicals in precipitation. Trace amounts of chemical in frozen water do not make it burn like plastic or styrofoam.

These people don't even understand the fact that water has a high specific heat so of course it will take a loving while for the snow to melt. Even under a flame.

I was trying to suggest a plausible reason for the snow turning black. Something thats in the snow that comes from industrial polution reacting to the high heat makes more sense that nanomachine chemtrail fallout to make you an athiest.

Also, I love how the images of the snow saying "it doesn't melt!" clearly show the counter where the snow is place wet, as if the snow was MELTING.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

Protocolsoftheeldersofzion.jpg

I was trying to suggest a plausible reason for the snow turning black. Something thats in the snow that comes from industrial polution reacting to the high heat makes more sense that nanomachine chemtrail fallout to make you an athiest.

Also, I love how the images of the snow saying "it doesn't melt!" clearly show the counter where the snow is place wet, as if the snow was MELTING.

It's turning black because of soot adhering to the ice before it can melt.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This. It's the same poo poo that coats the inside of a glass candle holder with a wick, or any piece of glass you hold a lighter to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Duh on my part. I was over thinking it just like these guys were, though mine at least was coming from a more sane place.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

twistedmentat posted:

Direct mail was pretty popular among the right wing nutbars in the 80s and 90s before the internet was available, but I really doubt direct mail did anything but keep the flame alive. No matter how many "Whites are superior and gold is good" pamphlets Ron Paul put his name on (but had nothing to do with) he mailed out to people in cabins it would never have the impact as one lovely geocities webpage.

It established the framework for how conspiracy theories are developed and propagated today, which the internet conspiracy subculture is built upon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hah, what the gently caress? I like how the death camps for REAL AMERICANS aren't coming, but have already happened. Also George is gonna take your guns! Run Skeeter and Billy Ray! Run with your Bushmasters from the little stocky jewish guy! He'll get your with his Satanic Kabbala Magic!

comes along bort posted:

It established the framework for how conspiracy theories are developed and propagated today, which the internet conspiracy subculture is built upon.

True, but you had to be aware of their existence to get in on it. With the internet today, you can literally stumble upon it. Though to give credit where credits due, it did form the base of what we have now, both in message and packaging; lots of confusing images that make innocuous things look scaaaaaaaary.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about that Seifeld graphic is the lower left "All seeing eye" bit is from an episode where they were making fun of new age stuff.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

The pink triangle thing is such insanity because it was a symbol of gays murdered in Nazi concentration camps.

You'd think if the diabolical NWO was going to start throwing them around it would be a prelude to mass murder of gays if anything.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sorry to be a bit late to the party, but I was just reading through the JFK assassination stuff a few pages back and thought I'd chime in real quick: to anyone who's curious, I'd highly recommend reading through Tim Weiner's book Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA (and his follow-up Enemies: The History of the FBI while you're at it). Entirely based off declassified CIA documents and firsthand interviews with retired staff.

Anyways, chapter 21 (pp. 256-271) is all about CIA's investigation into the assassination and THEIR DERAILMENT of the Warren Commission. As has been mentioned before, CIA did know that Oswald had previously attempted to contact the KGB but never followed up on it. During their investigation, they also discovered not only that the FBI had numerous records of Oswald trying to get in contact with Cuban officials and had altercations with anti-Cuban protestors, but that the feds had neglected to share any of this info with them. They then decided (in cahoots with the FBI) NOT to share any of this, or the fact that they tried on multiple occasions to assassinate Castro themselves, with the Commission in order to cover their own asses and not spark World War 3 by having the Commission come to the conclusion that it was a state-approved political killing. So while they may not have had a hand in it, they definitely thought that the buck did NOT stop with Oswald (as in, they thought it was Castro, not the Ruskies).

In fact, cliche as it may be to say, the only "real" conspiracy involving CIA is that they are or ever have been effective. Overall, from it's formation to present, they literally have an operational success rate in the low teens percentage-wise. It's pathetic, and they've left TONS of worldwide damage in their wake.

site fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 2, 2014

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

site posted:

Sorry to be a bit late to the party, but I was just reading through the JFK assassination stuff a few pages back and thought I'd chime in real quick: to anyone who's curious, I'd highly recommend reading through Tim Weiner's book Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA (and his follow-up Enemies: The History of the FBI while you're at it). Entirely based off declassified CIA documents and firsthand interviews with retired staff.

Anyways, chapter 21 (pp. 256-271) is all about CIA's investigation into the assassination and THEIR DERAILMENT of the Warren Commission. As has been mentioned before, CIA did know that Oswald had tried to previously attempted to contact the KGB but never followed up on it. During their investigation, they also discovered not only that the FBI had numerous records of Oswald trying to get in contact with Cuban officials and had altercations with anti-Cuban protestors, but that the feds had neglected to share any of this info with them. They then decided (in cahoots with the FBI) NOT to share any of this, or the fact that they tried on multiple occasions to assassinate Castro themselves, with the Commission in order to cover their own asses and not spark World War 3 by having the Commission come to the conclusion that it was a state-approved political killing. So while they may not have had a hand in it, they definitely thought that the buck did NOT stop with Oswald (as in, they thought it was Castro, not the Ruskies).

In fact, cliche as it may be to say, the only "real" conspiracy of CIA is that they are or ever have been effective. Overall, from it's formation to present, they literally have an operational success rate in the low teens percentage-wise. It's pathetic and they've left TONS of worldwide damage in their wake.

Oh the CIA is both nefarious and hilariously incompetent. I doubt anyone disagrees with that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

site posted:

Anyways, chapter 21 (pp. 256-271) is all about CIA's investigation into the assassination and THEIR DERAILMENT of the Warren Commission. As has been mentioned before, CIA did know that Oswald had tried to previously attempted to contact the KGB but never followed up on it. During their investigation, they also discovered not only that the FBI had numerous records of Oswald trying to get in contact with Cuban officials and had altercations with anti-Cuban protestors, but that the feds had neglected to share any of this info with them. They then decided (in cahoots with the FBI) NOT to share any of this, or the fact that they tried on multiple occasions to assassinate Castro themselves, with the Commission in order to cover their own asses and not spark World War 3 by having the Commission come to the conclusion that it was a state-approved political killing. So while they may not have had a hand in it, they definitely thought that the buck did NOT stop with Oswald (as in, they thought it was Castro, not the Ruskies).

In fact, cliche as it may be to say, the only "real" conspiracy of CIA is that they are or ever have been effective. Overall, from it's formation to present, they literally have an operational success rate in the low teens percentage-wise. It's pathetic and they've left TONS of worldwide damage in their wake.

Thanks for the recommendation. The Mitrokhin Archive has some interesting information on the JFK assassination. According to that book, the KGB tried to frame various Americans as the ones who told Oswald to do it, because they feared the knowledge that a lone communist killed the President would lead to another era of McCarthyism. They faked some evidence convincingly and the CIA spent a while pursuing leads against people who'd never had contact with Oswald.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

site posted:

In fact, cliche as it may be to say, the only "real" conspiracy involving CIA is that they are or ever have been effective. Overall, from it's formation to present, they literally have an operational success rate in the low teens percentage-wise. It's pathetic, and they've left TONS of worldwide damage in their wake.

The conspiracy theorist will tell you that this is only because it's the image the CIA wants to have, and it's so good at covering up its successes that we've simply never heard of them. Wiener addresses this point at the end of the book if I remember right, but none of the nutters being talked about in this thread are going to be swayed by it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Todays big bucket of crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAlq0maKf2o

weed

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. The Mitrokhin Archive has some interesting information on the JFK assassination. According to that book, the KGB tried to frame various Americans as the ones who told Oswald to do it, because they feared the knowledge that a lone communist killed the President would lead to another era of McCarthyism. They faked some evidence convincingly and the CIA spent a while pursuing leads against people who'd never had contact with Oswald.

And thank you for this recommendation. I had come across the name earlier in the thread but hadn't investigated what it was until now. I'll have to take a look at it. The Tim Weiner book gives several instances where the KGB ran circles around CIA (evidently the Soviets were excellent at intelligence work), so I have no doubt that they would do something like throw red herrings out here as well. It's just ironic it was for more-or-less the same reason CIA was covering it up as well.

Spakstik posted:

The conspiracy theorist will tell you that this is only because it's the image the CIA wants to have, and it's so good at covering up its successes that we've simply never heard of them. Wiener addresses this point at the end of the book if I remember right, but none of the nutters being talked about in this thread are going to be swayed by it.

The worst part about this is that it is the image CIA wants to promote. And since they're right for once, it gives the crazies more reason to fall down the rabbit hole.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk-Q9GVvTc0

cross-posting from TFF.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people?

First off. How did this idiot sneak past the Super Bowl? One of the most heavily guarded places in the world.

Did he actually get a press pass of some sort?

Second off, what kind of an attention seeking jackass interrupts someone after a major accomplishment? Dude just won the Super Bowl, and was named MVP to boot. How the hell would this idiot like it if I interrupted his wedding or something of that nature to preach about FEMA DEATH CAMPS!? or some other batshit insane bullshit only morons believe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd like to imagine that guy was taken into the bowls of the stadium and stuffed into a locker, high school style.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

twistedmentat posted:

The more I think about that interview with the ancient languages expert I listened to a few weeks ago

I know this is the conspiracy thread, but I wanna see that vid :allears:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk-Q9GVvTc0

cross-posting from TFF.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people?

First off. How did this idiot sneak past the Super Bowl? One of the most heavily guarded places in the world.

Second off, what kind of an attention seeking jackass interrupts someone after a major accomplishment? Dude just won the Super Bowl, and was named MVP to boot. How the hell would this idiot like it if I interrupted his wedding or something of that nature to preach about FEMA DEATH CAMPS!? or some other batshit insane bullshit only morons believe.
This reminds me of a RedLetterMedia review. Rich Evans (one of the RLM guys) plays a stranger who wanders in and joins the review, and is totally normal throughout, but at the end puts on a tinfoil hat and starts shouting "9/11 was an inside job!" and runs off. And the other guys go: "Was he planning to do that the entire time?" And actually, that's not far from what these guys do.

FuzzySkinner posted:

He could've faked a press pass. It looks like he had a lanyard. It's probably not as hard as it seems. A lot of what we consider to be security is more security theatre that won't necessarily deter a committed activist or agitator (or terrorist, for that matter).

You raise an important point about the people who do this. You have to see them as people who've entered into a cult-like state where they've become detached from the world around them, but are at the same time existing in a state of intense calm and purpose which allows them to plan ahead and go about their daily lives. Martin Scorsese's "Taxi Driver" is the best representation of this that I've seen.

Think about this guy. On Friday he was driving home from work, and stopped to get a sandwich for dinner or something to take back to his apartment, and he was otherwise quite normal to the girl or whoever who made his sandwich, but he was also thinking in the back of his mind about his upcoming plans to interrupt a Super Bowl press conference by shouting "9/11 was perpetrated by the government!" There's all kinds of people bopping about who are otherwise quite normal but have all these sick thoughts swimming around inside their heads.

So when we think "how could this crazy person get access," the answer is that he *already* went through all the emotional disorder and chaos that got him into the conspiracy movement in the first place. So he's able to function quite rationally even though he's committing irrational acts.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

I know this is the conspiracy thread, but I wanna see that vid :allears:

It was not a vid, but a podcast called Exploring Pseudoastronomy from Dr Stuart Robbins. It was the last 2 episodes.

The thing that struck me about that video is that he somehow was able to get that close to the player. If he wanted to assault him with a gun or a knife he could have done a lot of damage before he was grabbed by security.

• Locked thread