Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The one where Nintendo's yearly financials show them losing money, while Microsoft's Gaming Division and Sony Computer Entertainment are posting profits?

Also, since I'm curious, this is an honest question: is MS planning on selling off the Xbox One? I haven't heard any news towards that front, and Googling brings me to lovely game journalists trying to ask MS to sell it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

bushisms.txt posted:

But you can read any review and find people hemming and hawwing about how awesome Pikmin 3 would be if it was just on a regular console.

But you seem to be missing why they say that.

No one wants to buy Pikmin 3 if it's for a console that is otherwise dead. Pikmin 3 would be an awesome game to buy for a system that you already have. It's not that people hate nintendo, but they don't want to buy something that they don't think is worth it.

If Mario 3d World was for a console I already had I'd buy it this instant, but as it is I borrow my friend's Wii U and rent the game, because I have no reason to want a Wii U.

The simple fact is that most Wii U games would be better sales and accessibility wise if they were on other platforms, even if they used the exact same spec requirements as the Wii U currently has, just because people wouldn't have to throw down 300 extra dollars to play them.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

In the one where Sony didn't make a profit until 2010 and MSFT is deciding whether to sell off their $2B albatross. Where are you?

The one where Nintendo projected declines for this year and cut all their salaries then held a press event to assure people they're still trying even if it seems otherwise.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Rayman Legends had a larger color selection than NSMB and 3d Land. It also had more new models and objects made for it than NSMB Wii-U.

Nintendo isn't the only company who banks on brightly colored games, I mean there's a ton of games like that released every year from other companies on other systems like Terraway.

And its a crying shame neither of those games made some good bank :(

At least Ubisofts art framework is being put to other games.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Wasper posted:

Platinum was better off being Clover studios. Shame nobody really bought their games though.

Oh yeah I loved Viewtiful Joe too. That was a good game. They should find a way to make a third.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
That Reggie announcement would have been totally salvaged if it was only King K. Rool they were bringing back and not loving Cranky Kong. Cranky Kong? Really??

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

The one where Nintendo's yearly financials show them losing money, while Microsoft's Gaming Division and Sony Computer Entertainment are posting profits?

Also, since I'm curious, this is an honest question: is MS planning on selling off the Xbox One? I haven't heard any news towards that front, and Googling brings me to lovely game journalists trying to ask MS to sell it off.

but but but cash reserves!!!!!!!!!! loss leading!!!!!!!!! HD costs money!!!!!!!

Suspicious Dish posted:

no, and whether they do or not will have more to do with simplifying the herculean task that will be setting that company straight, and comparatively not much to do with the actual performance of the xbox division. the console is doing worse than they wanted but it's still very successful

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 31, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pixeltendo posted:

And its a crying shame neither of those games made some good bank :(

At least Ubisofts art framework is being put to other games.

Rayman Legends did good enough to still be considered a worthwhile series.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Equilibrium posted:

That Reggie announcement would have been totally salvaged if it was only King K. Rool they were bringing back and not loving Cranky Kong. Cranky Kong? Really??

Totally agreed, it'd be nice to see the classic Donkey Kong Country enemies actually come back. I don't know why Nintendo hates them so much, is it because they hate Rare or Rare owns the rights to them?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Suspicious Dish posted:

is MS planning on selling off the Xbox One? I haven't heard any news towards that front, and Googling brings me to lovely game journalists trying to ask MS to sell it off.

One of the guys who 'might' become CEO when the current one leaves once said something about how the gaming division was stupid and he'd sell it if he had the chance.

Pretty sure the quote was from like 4 years ago or something.

The GBS Xbone thread is the only reason I know.

Edit: Microsoft should sell the XBox division, and buy Nintendo.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Rayman Legends had a larger color selection than NSMB and 3d Land. It also had more new models and objects made for it than NSMB Wii-U.

Nintendo isn't the only company who banks on brightly colored games, I mean there's a ton of games like that released every year from other companies on other systems like Terraway.

People aren't hating Nintendo because they're afraid of being a child, they're hating them for the same reasons they hate Capcom, they keep loving up.

Wow colors! Wow! What a great game! Oh hey it sold less on than the Wii u version on both the 360 and ps3 combined. And Tearaway sold like 20k and is already free on PSN. Meanwhile NSMBU has the highest attach rate on the system. It's almost like you guys have no clue what people want.

DrPaper posted:

The one where Nintendo projected declines for this year and cut all their salaries then held a press event to assure people they're still trying even if it seems otherwise.

This is their first loss ever in 30 years, 2nd if you count last year, but they were saved by the weak yen.

Equilibrium posted:

Reggie hates Geoff, pretty sure that was to piss him off.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

god drat this thread just jumped from 2 stars to 3 stars rating. bushisms you've saved the thread.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Wow colors! Wow! What a great game! Oh hey it sold less on than the Wii u version on both the 360 and ps3 combined. And Tearaway sold like 20k and is already free on PSN. Meanwhile NSMBU has the highest attach rate on the system. It's almost like you guys have no clue what people want.

So one of three games for the Wii U sells really good because it has the name Mario attached to it, and sells better then Rayman? No way. Also more sales = Better than? Weren't you bitching about "CoD" clones and stuff earlier? So is it more sales = better than or not?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bushisms.txt posted:

Well you're acting like Nintendo is the only company that makes games like that.

Also Dark Souls colors for the majority are greens and yellows. The only part that's brown would be the sewer levels. Everything else is like Marble White, orange, deep reds, and dark blues. It's a game with amazing art direction and to discount it as LOLBROWNGAME isn't true. Andor Londo itself in the daylight is one of the most beautiful videogame levels ever, and this is before you get to the Princess Chamber.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

eh if theres one problem I have with the dark souls graphics is that some of the models can end up looking very plasticity and weird.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

Wow colors! Wow! What a great game! Oh hey it sold less on than the Wii u version on both the 360 and ps3 combined.\

According to VGChartz, it sold 0.27m on Wii U, 0.23m on 360, and 0.30m on PS3. So no, PS3 and 360 combined, it sold 0.53m, which is slightly less than double what Wii U sold.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Don't use VGChartz please for the love of god.

Rayman sold better on the Wii U than on the PS3 and 360 combined in the US and there's no solid data from anywhere else.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Well you're acting like Nintendo is the only company that makes games like that.

Also Dark Souls colors for the majority are greens and yellows. The only part that's brown would be the sewer levels. Everything else is like Marble White, orange, deep reds, and dark blues. It's a game with amazing art direction and to discount it as LOLBROWNGAME isn't true. Andor Londo itself in the daylight is one of the most beautiful videogame levels ever, and this is before you get to the Princess Chamber.

Nope, never said that. I have said that a majority of "gamers" don't like Nintendo, because they don't want to be considered children, which is funny when they are deciding what toyvideo game system to buy.

Space Bat posted:

So one of three games for the Wii U sells really good because it has the name Mario attached to it, and sells better then Rayman? No way. Also more sales = Better than? Weren't you bitching about "CoD" clones and stuff earlier? So is it more sales = better than or not?
Nope never said that, otherwise I would consider Halo to be a good game series. But this

The Taint Reaper posted:

People aren't hating Nintendo because they're afraid of being a child, they're hating them for the same reasons they hate Capcom, they keep loving up.

Says that people are on to Nintendo's poo poo, when clearly the sales speak otherwise.

KittyEmpress posted:

But you seem to be missing why they say that.

No one wants to buy Pikmin 3 if it's for a console that is otherwise dead. Pikmin 3 would be an awesome game to buy for a system that you already have. It's not that people hate nintendo, but they don't want to buy something that they don't think is worth it.

If Mario 3d World was for a console I already had I'd buy it this instant, but as it is I borrow my friend's Wii U and rent the game, because I have no reason to want a Wii U.

The simple fact is that most Wii U games would be better sales and accessibility wise if they were on other platforms, even if they used the exact same spec requirements as the Wii U currently has, just because people wouldn't have to throw down 300 extra dollars to play them.

This is any game for any platform, thanks for playing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ah, OK, is VGChartz that unreliable? It was all I could find from a quick Google, and I can't find any numbers claiming that Wii U outsold other systems elsewhere. Sorry.

So, I'm going to say that given official sales numbers from other companies about how their cross-platform games have sold that it would have sold better on the other platforms. I'm genuinely interested if anybody can find any evidence about this, though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Suspicious Dish posted:

What universe are you in where this is true?

bushisms is probably referring to this

bushisms.txt posted:

If someone could find the updated one that'd be great.

They've only posted a loss this year, as last year was only a drop from their estimations but not a loss because of the weak yen.

Too bad nobody gives a gently caress when when the gaming division is literally a tiny blip of the financials of a huge corporation

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Nope, never said that. I have said that a majority of "gamers" don't like Nintendo, because they don't want to be considered children, which is funny when they are deciding what toyvideo game system to buy.

[Citation needed]

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Ah, OK, is VGChartz that unreliable? It was all I could find from a quick Google, and I can't find any numbers claiming that Wii U outsold other systems elsewhere. Sorry.

So, I'm going to say that given official sales numbers from other companies about how their cross-platform games have sold that it would have sold better on the other platforms. I'm genuinely interested if anybody can find any evidence about this, though.

Sonic Racing as well.

Also the eshop is more viable for indie developers. The Gunmen Clive dev is keeping a thread on Neogaf and showing how the eShop is making him more money than Google and iOS.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

bushisms.txt posted:

This is any game for any platform, thanks for playing.

Yes it is true for any game for any platform. This is part of what fuels purchase of those platforms sometimes. That is the power of 'exclusives'.

But people for a lot of reasons don't want a Wii U, even for those exclusives. The Wii U is particularly disliked in a way that makes 'yeah it's a good game, but gently caress the Wii U' a valid thing for most people to say.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Astro7x posted:

bushisms is probably referring to this

Too bad nobody gives a gently caress when when the gaming division is literally a tiny blip of the financials of a huge corporation

The xbone division loses them a free $2B a year, you think they don't want to figure out how to keep that money? And that's the only reason they haven't been 3rd party yet, so how is that an argument? But this isn't a MSFT thread.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Space Bat posted:

[Citation needed]

nope totally not a conspiracy theorist no sir

serious, even though you won't change your mind either way: most 'gamers' are dimly aware nintendo even exists, and you seem really really mad about that. they don't dislike nintendo, they give no shits whatsoever, either way.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 31, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Sonic Racing as well.

Also the eshop is more viable for indie developers. The Gunmen Clive dev is keeping a thread on Neogaf and showing how the eShop is making him more money than Google and iOS.

SEGA themselves said that's not true. The PC has outsold the Wii U vastly, and there are still "Pre-Order Edition" first wave copies being sold for the Wii U, so I'm not sure where you got your facts from.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

The xbone division loses them a free $2B a year, you think they don't want to figure out how to keep that money? And that's the only reason they haven't been 3rd party yet, so how is that an argument? But this isn't a MSFT thread.

How come when facts that are inconvenient to your argument are brought up you quickly jump to point out this is a thread for Wii U, not Xbone/PS4, but you freely bring them up for your comparisons until people use it against you?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

Yes it is true for any game for any platform. This is part of what fuels purchase of those platforms sometimes. That is the power of 'exclusives'.

But people for a lot of reasons don't want a Wii U, even for those exclusives. The Wii U is particularly disliked in a way that makes 'yeah it's a good game, but gently caress the Wii U' a valid thing for most people to say.

Who are these people?

Have you played a 3rd party nintendo game? They're horribly broken, and hardly receive patches. Why would anyone want to buy them? How is that Nintendo's fault?

3rd party thinks they can drop poo poo like they do on the hd twins, and just patch it later, but since families don't impulse buy, by the time the game goes on sale, MiiVerse has already told everyone not to buy it, cause it sucks.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So how important is Nintendo to everyone's sanity? Is the feeling of nostalgia that strong that one will lose all grips on reality if their childhood memories die like a scrub in a dota match?

bushisms.txt posted:

MiiVerse has already told everyone not to buy it, cause it sucks.

You need to own a Wii-U in order to read mii verse.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bushisms.txt posted:

It loses them a ton of money, but at the expense of the XBox and Microsoft becoming a household name and in the living rooms of millions of homes.

I bring it up because Nintendo can't afford to do that kind of shenanigans an because of that they are much more conservative in everything that they do.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

DrPaper posted:

How come when facts that are inconvenient to your argument are brought up you quickly jump to point out this is a thread for Wii U, not Xbone/PS4, but you freely bring them up for your comparisons until people use it against you?

Where are your facts? All I've seen is people calling me a lovely poster and caterwauling about how lovely Nintendo games are and how no one wants them so they should go third party. Bring me an actual argument that isn't your personal feelings, something that's thought out longer than the tip of your dick.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Who are these people?

Have you played a 3rd party nintendo game? They're horribly broken, and hardly receive patches. Why would anyone want to buy them? How is that Nintendo's fault?

3rd party thinks they can drop poo poo like they do on the hd twins, and just patch it later, but since families don't impulse buy, by the time the game goes on sale, MiiVerse has already told everyone not to buy it, cause it sucks.

Yeah, so Nintendo not having enough units to make games profitable + having a lovely internal infrastructure for patching is the third parties faults, not Nintendo's. GOD don't 3rd party people realize if they make good games for the Wii U eventually it will sell and make them profit a few years later?!? Why are they being so selfish and betraying Nintendo!?!?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Crowbear posted:

Huh, they're citing "delayed development." Weird.

This that means it is canned since the Wii U had failed to develop a proper install base.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Bring me an actual argument that isn't your personal feelings, something that's thought out longer than the tip of your dick.

bushisms.txt posted:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

bushisms.txt posted:

Who are these people?

You're pointing out the results as being a reason.

3rd party games on nintendo systems tend to be poo poo because they tend to sell like poo poo compared to the effort to make the ports, because Nintendo insists on being unique special snowflakes with proprietary pieces in every console so they can assure their stock holders they own everything.

Wii U batman runs badly because the Wii U runs so much differently than any other console, because of Nintendo. This means it doesn't sell. This means it doesn't get DLC or patches. This means it's a bad game on the Wii U.

Wow. Amazing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Raged posted:

This that means it is canned since the Wii U had failed to develop a proper install base.

Doesn't explain the cancellation of the 3DS version.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Pretending that the last 50 replies didn't happen... Something that baffles me about the investor briefing is that Iwata stated an intention not to follow the "trends" followed by the other consoles. Exactly what is he talking about? Trends imply fads or superficial gimmicks, and any design choices that the next gen consoles share are sensible reactions to the growing industry. They're powerful, multifunctional, developer friendly. What about this is so undesirable? Iwata has said that multiplatform games are turn IPs into nothing but commodities, so maybe that's it? He hates the idea of a Nintendo console that actually lets peole play popular cutting edge games? In that case why charge an amount for the Wii U that forces people to buy only one console? No one is going to give up GTA6 for the privelege of playing Nintendo IPs. There comes a point when choosing to be unique means choosing to be incompetent. They can offer a budget console, or they can compete properly. They can't release a full priced console without the basic features that are expected in modern technology. The Nintendo Difference isn't enough when the machine is full price. What I don't understand is why they consider themselves so incapable of releasing a console that can compete with the others. They are a small company with only 5000 consolidated employees, but why can't they expand their size and resources? Why can't they attempt to grow through competence?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bushisms.txt posted:

Where are your facts? All I've seen is people calling me a lovely poster and caterwauling about how lovely Nintendo games are and how no one wants them so they should go third party. Bring me an actual argument that isn't your personal feelings, something that's thought out longer than the tip of your dick.

You're doing the same thing you're accusing him of doing. :psyduck:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Taint Reaper posted:

So how important is Nintendo to everyone's sanity? Is the feeling of nostalgia that strong that one will lose all grips on reality if their childhood memories die like a scrub in a dota match?

You need to own a Wii-U in order to read mii verse.

I would probably buy a lot less video games if Nintendo wasn't around.

And no you don't

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

DrPaper posted:

Yeah, so Nintendo not having enough units to make games profitable + having a lovely internal infrastructure for patching is the third parties faults, not Nintendo's. GOD don't 3rd party people realize if they make good games for the Wii U eventually it will sell and make them profit a few years later?!? Why are they being so selfish and betraying Nintendo!?!?

Yep, third parties saw before the Wii U released that it was going to bomb, so they put no effort into the ports. Which makes no sense considering the Wii is one of the highest selling consoles of all time. Support didn't get pulled to January, but lovely launch ports and half year old ports with no patches for full price, when value packs of the entire series are coming out for less. How come no one is buying the game?!? Nintendo sucks!

• Locked thread