Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

160bpm living.

https://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/watch-me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lol that Burial selfie

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Settling down to some Dark Souls 2

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uCaNkBlhU8

New Rainer Veil EP.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone
Cult Music 002.5 (remixes) are forthcoming. If anyone in here wants to snag it on wax, you better start stalking their twitter. Pretty pumped for it, dunno if it'll be on 180 gram vinyl though.
Pretty excited to see the play fights remixes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0iL0SdB1iw

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Where does one procure Cult Music on vinyl?

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Where does one procure Cult Music on vinyl?

You have to stalk their twitter and buy a copy within 48 hours of it being available. Other Music NYC is where 002 was sold in the states, I think for the UK they do it on cult music.co.uk.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

They've been knocking around a while now, but I think 2014 is gonna be huge for Oil Gang. I was listening back to Mumdance's Rinse set and caught this upcoming tune from JT The Goon called Garden of Eden that just murders it.

It's the first track from the Boxed Takeover show on Rinse back in the Fall: https://soundcloud.com/oil-gang/oil-gang-boxed-takeover-rinse

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

They've been knocking around a while now, but I think 2014 is gonna be huge for Oil Gang. I was listening back to Mumdance's Rinse set and caught this upcoming tune from JT The Goon called Garden of Eden that just murders it.

It's the first track from the Boxed Takeover show on Rinse back in the Fall: https://soundcloud.com/oil-gang/oil-gang-boxed-takeover-rinse

I think 2014 is gonna be huge for that entire end of the scene, given all the hype that's been building up about it over the past wee while.

2014 is also going to be a make or break year for the whole 'Deep Tech' scene. Still a bit too much in the way of filler material (digital-only, no entry barrier yadda yadda my usual complaints. It is probably the first UK scene where the beginnings of the sound has been so uninspiring) but as the sound gets hammered out I'm definitely liking more and more of what's coming out of it.

It's also been interesting seeing some of the old guard on the go within the scene too. I've mentioned Oris Jay/Darqwan reviving his RS4 moniker, but another one that has popped up over the past year or two has been Martin Ikin, aka Soul Purpose and DJ Mayhem who's been dropping Deep Tech tracks for a while know (probably best known now for his recent Disclosure remix) and who's killer track Love's Enemy which has been bouncing about for a while now in sets was finally released a few days ago. Yes it still has one of those basslines, but drat it's jackin' and a lot more 'alive' than the usual fare.

Available on the HMV of the online music world that is Beatport, probably best to stick to Youtube until it comes up on an actual decent record store - or if the U.N. finally read my demanding letters on vinyl, CD or anything else loving real (will never, ever happen).

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

Cult Music 002.5 EP is going on pre order today on the site. I believe it's going to be sold on CD instead of vinyl this time around. Some fresh Compa from J:Kenzo's rinse fm segment https://soundcloud.com/compauk/compa-i-cant-forgive

Pre orders opened

Champ Baldoon fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 7, 2014

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I think 2014 is gonna be huge for that entire end of the scene, given all the hype that's been building up about it over the past wee while.

2014 is also going to be a make or break year for the whole 'Deep Tech' scene. Still a bit too much in the way of filler material (digital-only, no entry barrier yadda yadda my usual complaints. It is probably the first UK scene where the beginnings of the sound has been so uninspiring) but as the sound gets hammered out I'm definitely liking more and more of what's coming out of it.

What exactly do you mean by deep tech. One thing that I've gotten sick of is the somewhat cookie cutter issue thats happening.

Commercial electro house had the standard for how things would be done (white noise craziest drops hard electro etc whatever it gets loud and obnoxious) im sure you guys know what i mean when i say that poo poo all sounds the same.

I feel like this is happening in the deep/new-jackin scene as well. Like so many people are just making buildup breakdowns into gorgon city drops (that one wompy bass synth that keeps being used, think rip groove.) Im staying away from that sound with my stuff but i dont know its just a little sad that thats happening.

But it could just be my taste that makes me think thats kinda lame. Just sum thoughts!

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Blowdryer posted:

What exactly do you mean by deep tech. One thing that I've gotten sick of is the somewhat cookie cutter issue thats happening.

Commercial electro house had the standard for how things would be done (white noise craziest drops hard electro etc whatever it gets loud and obnoxious) im sure you guys know what i mean when i say that poo poo all sounds the same.

I feel like this is happening in the deep/new-jackin scene as well. Like so many people are just making buildup breakdowns into gorgon city drops (that one wompy bass synth that keeps being used, think rip groove.) Im staying away from that sound with my stuff but i dont know its just a little sad that thats happening.

But it could just be my taste that makes me think thats kinda lame. Just sum thoughts!

By that I mean the whole 4/4 London/Radford/Audio Rehab/Recess thing. Whatever it's called, they keep in calling in Deep House but is it gently caress.

Anyway, yeah that's just what I was saying up above. Still a lot of generic crap with the halfstep bassline thing, still a lot of tunes that just plod along doing nothing for five minutes, but then more and more things I think just have been getting that texture to them, those wee drops of colour in the monochrome, that flourish that just makes your ears prickle up a bit. At least I think so.

I've mentioned it before but that digi six packer release that AudioRehab put out last year is a good example I think. Those two Kismet tracks on that slay the rest as despite it generally works to the framework they've got other elements going on - some bleeps here, a new wee element that came in after the bridge or whatever - that give them a bit more character and make them more interesting to me. If only everything going on was trying to be that little bit smarter and cooler about things.

It's still a bit of an annoying and enigmatic scene to me, you go listen to a Mark Radford mix and you'll go, "yeah that sounds pretty loving groovy" but then individually you might listen to the tracks and many are just way too plain and boring. But - and testament to the DJ for sure - if he wrangle out these wee bits from seemingly nothing then to me it's promising. gently caress knows if it'll do anything but, as I've been saying half the same poo poo for about two years now - longest holding pattern ever?

One of the best to appear fairly recently has been Low Steppa who's on that ride but brings in a more metallicy Garagey vibe that pumps up the energy and keeps it moving.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I said it before but Mark Radford's show has always been utterly boring to me. Back when Rinse had the Saturday lineup of MA1 -> Perempay and Cure -> Rads I would listen for 4 hours then turn it off after Perempay signed off. Gimme Dappa, Funkbutcher, Gorgon City, etc. over that boring rear end tech house anyday.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
New Pinch & Mumdance on Tectonic. Now I know they've been floating about on dub for a wee while now, but wuft, Turbo Mitzi is a total banger. Ice cold hardcore stormer from which I keep on picking up the ghost of a Unique 3 record. Pick it up.

It's a week for LPs too, with Untold's newest on Hemlock is just heavy duty, while the wonderful ClekClekBoom records is also at it again, this time with French Fries debut LP. Offbeat Bass a la Parais.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

DJ Joe Nice & Digital Mystikz at U Street DC tomorrow. Supposed 4 hour set from the Digtial Mystikz. Probably going to drop a lot of dubplates and their entire catalog.

Edit: vibes were unreal last night. Easily the best show I've ever been too. Joe, mala, and Coki have such stage presence and can really hype a crowd and so many dubplates. Pretty unforgettable night.

Champ Baldoon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 21, 2014

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

New Pinch & Mumdance on Tectonic. Now I know they've been floating about on dub for a wee while now, but wuft, Turbo Mitzi is a total banger. Ice cold hardcore stormer from which I keep on picking up the ghost of a Unique 3 record. Pick it up.

Gah this has been stuck in my head all week. Such a cool track. Plus I've got a soft spot for tunes named after pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_367r2SRZb4

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

DMZ this sunday in new orleans. Gonna be wicked.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

It's really weird (or maybe it isn't) that the only Euro/UK electronic acts that seem to hit up US locales other than NYC/SF/LA/occasionally Chicago are dubstep or have had that on their resume in the past. I can still hold out hope that one day Night Slugs/ClekClekBoom/Hotflush type acts start hitting the interior.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Mike_V posted:

It's really weird (or maybe it isn't) that the only Euro/UK electronic acts that seem to hit up US locales other than NYC/SF/LA/occasionally Chicago are dubstep or have had that on their resume in the past. I can still hold out hope that one day Night Slugs/ClekClekBoom/Hotflush type acts start hitting the interior.

The promoters behind those dubstep nights have been putting these on for years now, so I'm sure it'll take some time to get that steam built up as well.

I'm really loving jealous of Reconstrvct having a Keysound takeover in March by the way. Also Sub.Mission 7th anniversary is stacked (Mala, Goth-Trad, Kahn, Commodo, Gantz)
http://subdotmission.com/events/submission-7-year-anniversary?_=1393524861436

Butterz at SXSW has me pretty hype though :yayclod:

http://subdotmission.com/events/aus..._=1393524854212

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
What's with all the Bear references in EDM recently?

Like Bear//Face, and others, including some song titles.

There's also a trend of bands with X and Y in their names. XXYYXX,YYXX,The XX.

WTF? What is this inside lingo?

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 1, 2014

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The 2 Bears are cool imo

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Elphiem posted:

What's with all the Bear references in EDM recently?

I've even seen DJ Yolo Bear live! It's outta control!

Mala & Coki & DJ Rashad here in SF was fun. Man we've got it good here.

Though I'm curious about what the deal is with that techno / tech house / 4/4 / whatever movement you folks were just talking about. It's definitely here in SF, and a lot of times it's these producers and DJs who used to do bass stuff. And now what they're doing is decidedly more minimal and... four on the floor. And it's all up in my Soundcloud too; same people who used to post and repost bass stuff are now posting this.

I feel like there must be some backstory or history that I'm missing that led to this. Did they just merge into whatever was going on in the four-on-the-floor world?

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Chouffe posted:

I've even seen DJ Yolo Bear live! It's outta control!

Mala & Coki & DJ Rashad here in SF was fun. Man we've got it good here.

Though I'm curious about what the deal is with that techno / tech house / 4/4 / whatever movement you folks were just talking about. It's definitely here in SF, and a lot of times it's these producers and DJs who used to do bass stuff. And now what they're doing is decidedly more minimal and... four on the floor. And it's all up in my Soundcloud too; same people who used to post and repost bass stuff are now posting this.

I feel like there must be some backstory or history that I'm missing that led to this. Did they just merge into whatever was going on in the four-on-the-floor world?

Not what you were asking, but you reminded me, the Icee Hot label/club night in your city is AMAZING. I'm obsessed with their stuff and I live in the UK.

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Anae posted:

Not what you were asking, but you reminded me, the Icee Hot label/club night in your city is AMAZING. I'm obsessed with their stuff and I live in the UK.

I'm a short walk from where they usually play on this rad Funktion One system! Also they sometimes play at a science museum's after hours events. Because science. We are pretty lucky here.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Chouffe posted:

That whole scene has been bubbling away for a good few years now. Really I guess you could say it's kind of just an ember of the post-UK Funky thing that's actually stayed alight and kept burning away since. I always figured the Circle dances had a lot to do with it, as they tended to play mix up the more straight ahead European/Deep/Techy stuff alongside the UKF stuff back when. I mean you have the likes of Kismet, Supa D etc on the scene making that kind of music, DJing etc.

Like I said before, to me a lot of it still plays things too straight and just gets a bit boring. I'll happily and without any evidence put most of the blame for that from the 'purer' House end, who I guess normally play things that way. I just want them to get a bit more grimey, a bit more twisted. Hints I keep on seeing over the past few years like I said but never seems to really take root sadly. I wouldn't say no to a bit of a bump in tempo either.

Anae posted:

Yeah I've been digging the stuff too. It's a pretty funky little label.

Anyway Livity Sound has a new remix 12" coming out, with MMM taking on Pev & Asusu's Surge, spraying the original with a glossy plastic electrofied coating. Pangea gets a hold of Vapours meanwhile and boosts the tribal flavour of the original and turning it into a stomper.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ljuxGLiZw

There are moments when this doesn't sound like poo poo.

But they're rare.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

Usual Cult Music update from myself. Zomby created a youtube channel for the label and uploaded a "showreel" that has little snippets of each song that will be on the CD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnrjC5zyeSw

Really looking forward to the Actress and Silverlink remixes if that is the second and third songs in the video. Also the blocks and escher remix was on Benji B's show so you can check that out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r5Nc4qapNY

Still waiting on Kollaps' 003 release from the preview we got of it on Benji B's show.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

fightwithcrayons posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ljuxGLiZw

There are moments when this doesn't sound like poo poo.

But they're rare.

God. There are some really nice movements within grime right now, but it has been absolutely poo poo for the most part the past 3-4 years. I wonder if it has to go through this piece of poo poo period where the MCs and producers think they need to be like rap and whatever else. I propose to take away all advanced equipment and studio space from grime artists and make them go back to pirated Fruity Loops/Acid/Logic/whatever for a while to see if that fixes thing.

Like c'mon, this was only 6 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_CFIAasgk

EDIT:

quote:

Usual Cult Music update from myself. Zomby created a youtube channel for the label and uploaded a "showreel" that has little snippets of each song that will be on the CD.

aka the entirety of each song that Zomby would make

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

FREE 18 track weird instrumental grime compilation from Boxed https://soundcloud.com/boxedldn/sets/boxed-vol-1

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

Mike_V posted:

aka the entirety of each song that Zomby would make

I think the label's 'unknown' fresh new artists are just Zomby under a different alias. It would make sense for him to do that considering his ego, he would just come out after awhile and say he was all those artists and everyone would lap it up.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Waarg posted:

FREE 18 track weird instrumental grime compilation from Boxed https://soundcloud.com/boxedldn/sets/boxed-vol-1

This ain't weird mate, listen to all those gliding squares and eskibeat fireball clicks. It's throwback grime with modern twist.

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake
If anybody's near San Francisco, there's a Butterz party at Monarch (small venue with gorgeous sound) on Tuesday, March 11.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBarj7Wnnds
Mumdance ft. Novelist, unreleased but Mumdance is putting it in some podcasts this past month. Sparse, tough grime. Please note that I've somehow managed to completely ignore the verse where Novelist is pitch-shifted ugh why would you do that

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

A new tune from me, 130bpm and taking more nods from grime and breakbeat.

https://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/chump-change-flavor

Lemme know what you guys think

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I've been going back through the BBK mixtapes for the first time in a while and they're soo good. The MCing from JME is not fully there, but the production is top notch. I want JME to start producing more again.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

God. There are some really nice movements within grime right now, but it has been absolutely poo poo for the most part the past 3-4 years. I wonder if it has to go through this piece of poo poo period where the MCs and producers think they need to be like rap and whatever else. I propose to take away all advanced equipment and studio space from grime artists and make them go back to pirated Fruity Loops/Acid/Logic/whatever for a while to see if that fixes thing.

Like c'mon, this was only 6 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_CFIAasgk

I'd settle for the videos not to feature man standing in front of the camera in a black room in an attempt to be edgy. But yeah I remember when I first heard Rebel. Weak then, weak now. Here's to another album that'll sink on release as well as another failed crossover attempt. At least Dot Rotten tricked enough folk with that Robert Miles sample to sell some units, of course then they buried his album when they realised it was poo poo. Any wonder the youth are back on the rap ting, if you're gonna knock it off might as well do it properly.

New Chronik track isn't half bad at least. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCmc4rBVVxA

Chouffe posted:

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBarj7Wnnds
Mumdance ft. Novelist, unreleased but Mumdance is putting it in some podcasts this past month. Sparse, tough grime. Please note that I've somehow managed to completely ignore the verse where Novelist is pitch-shifted ugh why would you do that

The question is why wouldn't you do that?

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

The question is why wouldn't you do that?

I'm with 28GBB on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4n5J_YWOhY

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Joseph and some others on the German Whip remix: https://soundcloud.com/pmrrecords/german-whip-remix-feat-skepta

Long shot but I heard a song the other day that was definitely grime or UK rap. Half-time flow, deep voice like Giggs but it could have been The Streets or someone with a weird pitch-shifted effect. Really slow and deep, chattin poo poo, pretty gangster. One of the lines was like "gold in my mouth so you can't see my teeth". From the sound of the production I'd guess it was from the last couple of years but I don't know. Wish I had more to go on..

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

Joseph and some others on the German Whip remix: https://soundcloud.com/pmrrecords/german-whip-remix-feat-skepta

Long shot but I heard a song the other day that was definitely grime or UK rap. Half-time flow, deep voice like Giggs but it could have been The Streets or someone with a weird pitch-shifted effect. Really slow and deep, chattin poo poo, pretty gangster. One of the lines was like "gold in my mouth so you can't see my teeth". From the sound of the production I'd guess it was from the last couple of years but I don't know. Wish I had more to go on..

Don't recognise the lyrics but the vibe that description is giving me makes me think of Chimpo, maybe with Dub Phizix production? See if this hits the spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM9wkYrpMAs

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Anae posted:

Don't recognise the lyrics but the vibe that description is giving me makes me think of Chimpo, maybe with Dub Phizix production? See if this hits the spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM9wkYrpMAs

Cool track. Not it but that's exactly the vibe though I think the beat was more hip-hop/grime than darkstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I just discovered burial and this thread recently.

This got glued to my ears as soon as my spotify radio randomly played it. The little jingle that loops through it is like voodoo to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3XFrHMKD6g
Sorry if this isn't the correct thread, some songs are just difficult to identify the genre of :shobon:

• Locked thread