Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Overemotional Robot posted:

Has anybody else had trouble with Automatic Variants only working on some creatures but not all? The draugr in my game have variants, but I'm not seeing anything with farm animals and stuff. However, I'm also getting a mix of low and high textures so it may be an issue of something getting overwritten.

One of the options when running AV is to include or exclude original textures. It's set to "include" by default.

LtSmash - While you're brainstorming...what I'd really love is some way to get a bunch of models and textures and whatever the mod author named Their Cool Thing, ditch all of the crappy "I placed my Cool Thing in a completely-out-of-place trunk in the middle of the road at the gate of Riverrun", and just have the Cool Thing added to leveled lists.

Bonus points for an easy way to modify stats and slot in a semi-balanced way. It seems everybody and their brother sets Their Cool Thing to be either Ebony or Daedric. Sometimes I just want a good variety of steel weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Ynglaur posted:

LtSmash - While you're brainstorming...what I'd really love is some way to get a bunch of models and textures and whatever the mod author named Their Cool Thing, ditch all of the crappy "I placed my Cool Thing in a completely-out-of-place trunk in the middle of the road at the gate of Riverrun", and just have the Cool Thing added to leveled lists.

Bonus points for an easy way to modify stats and slot in a semi-balanced way. It seems everybody and their brother sets Their Cool Thing to be either Ebony or Daedric. Sometimes I just want a good variety of steel weapons.

Yeah totally both on The List™ I'm kinda thinking I might be able to import esp's not in the load order (probably in the skyproc folder like AV) and pull the weapons and armor out of them. Then put them as new records into the patch and extract any needed assets from the mod's bsa and pack a new one for the patch (assuming there is a BSA tool I can run from the command line through java). No worrying about the author making stupid choices of what else to bolt onto their gear pack.

Stats are easy to modify and I intend to let you set specific ones on an object or copy all of them from something else, like a vanilla weapon, once I get the new xml setup going. The hard part is making it user friendly. My UI skills are basically non-existent and once you get past a couple check boxes it turns into the poo poo that is the current lli UI.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

seorin posted:

They're not time limited, but they should go away when you lose them from getting hit. If they're sticking around no matter what you do, without you having to heal again to restore them, that shouldn't be happening.

Yeah, that's what's happening. I can get around 150 extra hit points, and if I don't cast any healing spells while they're depleted they'll slowly regen back up. An easy workaround would be to disable health regen, since I'm honestly not technically competent enough to figure out what's making it go wrong. Or just try to not deliberately break the game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Technogeek posted:

What version of Mod Organizer are you guys running?

1.1 beta, downloading the newest version of SPERG.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Grondoth posted:

Yeah, that's what's happening. I can get around 150 extra hit points, and if I don't cast any healing spells while they're depleted they'll slowly regen back up. An easy workaround would be to disable health regen, since I'm honestly not technically competent enough to figure out what's making it go wrong. Or just try to not deliberately break the game.

My guess is that Skyrim got busy with other things and forgot a script was running. The script adds and removes health buffs to achieve the effect, so if the script stops doing that, you just have a health buff. Try removing the perk and seeing if the buff goes away. Then try re-adding the perk and see if things work properly (whether the buff previously went away or not).

Other than trying to remind Skyrim there's a script it should be paying attention to, I don't really have a good way to fix it. These "bugs" that occur due to scripts that randomly stop running or just skip steps are the main reason I've been avoiding updating SPERG. I'm not good enough to fix a bug that occurs from scripts (in whole or in part) simply failing to run. I kind of wish I could find another explanation because I'd sure like to fix it, but the same thing happens across dozens of different scripts with seemingly no cause. :sigh:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

1.1 beta, downloading the newest version of SPERG.

Yeah, looks like the ModuleConfig.xml in the SPERG 4 download is kind of hosed. The entire SPERG folder is set as a required install, but since it lacks a destination tag, it just dumps it into the root installation folder. This also forcibly installs the DLC patches whether or not you check those as options, but always puts them in the SPERG folder. (I'm guessing that having the SPERG folder as required with no destination also overrides the later manual destination assignments for optional files, but I could be wrong.)

The fix I came up with was to add destination="" to the folder source tag, then move the optional stuff (the uncapper config and DLC patches) into an "Optional Files" folder which was only referenced under optionalFileGroups. For ease of manual installation, though, it'd probably be best to also move SPERG.bsa, SPERG.esm, and SPERG.esp into that folder and remove the file source tags from requiredInstallFiles. You could also assign each of the optional files their own folder if you want to go that route, but again, that would really only be worth it for ease of manual installation.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I swear my experience modding this is like an onion of problems. Each time I fix a layer there's a tougher, more annoying underlying layer of issues. Now I've got to figure out which or what combination of mods causes poo poo like this:

(Notice the FPS up in the top left while looking at different parts of the city.)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Could be poorly optimized textures. You using a texture pack?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bethesda High-Res DLC Optimized (Hybrid+Vanilla Normals), because it seemed any other decent texture packs want >1GB VRAM (or I'm remembering incorrectly). I have a Radeon HD 6850 1GB. I'm also following the STEP DDSopt guide for optimizing the Vanilla/HRDLC stuff with DDSopt currently, to see if that helps any.

Also I tried using ENB, but Skyrim closes immediately upon running when I try, for some reason.

More edit: I'm gonna optimize SkyrimHD Lite and see if that helps any too.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 30, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I remember a werewolf mod that added a lot of perks and bonuses to both human and wolf form, meaning lycanthropy was extremely powerful...but it was also very unreliable and you'd have a chance of hulking out depending on physical health, the moon, combat damage and so on. It was enjoyable for me because I can recall the sheer terror at seeing "you feel a primal rage inside you..." in the corner of my screen as I was shopping, desperately going gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress not now not now not now not now oh god :gonk:

Problem is I think the mod had a generic enough name that I bring up three hundred or so mods that similarly buff the werewolf form without drawbacks. Anyone know what I mean?

Burns
May 10, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

I remember a werewolf mod that added a lot of perks and bonuses to both human and wolf form, meaning lycanthropy was extremely powerful...but it was also very unreliable and you'd have a chance of hulking out depending on physical health, the moon, combat damage and so on. It was enjoyable for me because I can recall the sheer terror at seeing "you feel a primal rage inside you..." in the corner of my screen as I was shopping, desperately going gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress not now not now not now not now oh god :gonk:

Problem is I think the mod had a generic enough name that I bring up three hundred or so mods that similarly buff the werewolf form without drawbacks. Anyone know what I mean?

Moonlight Tales I think.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ah, nailed it yeah. MT was the one. :)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I installed and used MO, then later tried out NMM out of curiosity, then uninstalled it. Unfortunately, the download button for MO is gone now, stuck on NMM after linking the Nexus account. It's not terribly painful dragging downloads into the MO folder, but is there a way to fix this?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I'm about to go retro. Skyrim was my introduction to TES and I really enjoyed it, and I bought Oblivion during the holiday sale for some paltry sum. Is there a thread somewhere deep in the archives or elsewhere which carries recommended mods for Oblivion? SPERG and IA and Apocalypse among others improve Skyrim so much that I can't imagine there not being mods that I should simply have before even bothering with the vanilla game for Oblivion, but there is nothing less appealing to me in my mind than sifting through thousands of detritus mods that make females wear rings daintily or give rich Imperials fedoras or whatever else.

vv thanks dude! I notice there's no big "fix" like SPERG, aside from the total conversion Nehrim. That might bode well, or badly! Haha

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 30, 2014

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Go more retro, get Morrowind!

But really, the thread you want is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3310676

Do note that every link in the sub-OP is broken, you want to use http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/

Edit:

:itwaspoo:
VVV

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 30, 2014

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Paramemetic posted:

I'm about to go retro. Skyrim was my introduction to TES and I really enjoyed it, and I bought Oblivion during the holiday sale for some paltry sum. Is there a thread somewhere deep in the archives or elsewhere which carries recommended mods for Oblivion? SPERG and IA and Apocalypse among others improve Skyrim so much that I can't imagine there not being mods that I should simply have before even bothering with the vanilla game for Oblivion, but there is nothing less appealing to me in my mind than sifting through thousands of detritus mods that make females wear rings daintily or give rich Imperials fedoras or whatever else.
Skyrim and Morrowind are pretty good with just basic patches and, in the case of Morrowind, maybe some graphical stuff if you want. Oblivion is a bit of turd sandwich and needs a lot of mods to make it fun IMO, so if you don't want to sort through that I suggest you take Black Pants advice and go more retro to TES3.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I literally need 250+ ESP files to make Oblivion bearable to play these days. Not much happening on the Oblivion modding front either, would have loved to see a final single ESP version of FCOM or whatever.

Nehrim is sweet though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh that sounds superb, downloading now.

On that note, are there any recommended or does anybody have a favorite Vampirism mod? The Dawnguard stuff was kinda underwhelming IMO. I don't want to hulk out into vampire mode like Buffy, I want to be addicted to blood and sneaking around murdering people to satiate my bloodlust.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

vv thanks dude! I notice there's no big "fix" like SPERG, aside from the total conversion Nehrim. That might bode well, or badly! Haha

Actually there are fixes but they are ususally much bigger.

The biggest one I remember (and I'm pretty sure still is) is FCOM, which is basically a combination of a couple big rebalance mods out there. It is a mess to install and a mess to play with as well, you can do fine with installing only parts of it if you like.

Denarius
Feb 25, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

On that note, are there any recommended or does anybody have a favorite Vampirism mod? The Dawnguard stuff was kinda underwhelming IMO. I don't want to hulk out into vampire mode like Buffy, I want to be addicted to blood and sneaking around murdering people to satiate my bloodlust.

The best one I've tried is Better Vampires, its highly customizable and might take a little bit of effort to find the best configuration for what you want it to do. For example, on the whole blood-addicted thing, you have the option of toggling on a blood meter that vampire powers deplete and then you have to feed regardless of time, or you can just turn it off it that seems annoying. You get gradually better permanent buffs and abilities as you feed, so drinking blood is encouraged more than to just survive.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Using the Wolf Follower mod, and...well.

It's so TINY. :byodood:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody else have graphics modding experience by following this guide?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/

All I wanted to do was make all these changes and also run Frostfall. That's it. But nope, now I crash to desktop every time I launch, and even when I disable all plugins save for Skryim.esm and Update.esm.

I ran BOSS and it recommended TES5 cleaning on Update.esm. I followed the instructions on doing that, ran BOSS again, and the file shows clean. BOSS does still say

quote:

Update.esm Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

Don't know if this is significant or not. I have no idea what a Bash Tag is or how to implement that suggestion.

Am I hosed and should just start over with a clean install? Spent like 5 hours downloading and installing all this stuff via NMM and am really just quite frustrated now. Is there a simpler way to get good graphics improvement using far less plugins and overwrites? I'm fearing that maybe I overwrote the wrong files when installing (even though I followed his order and instructions to the letter.)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's called Mod Organizer which simplifies overwrites immensely. You don't even need to redownload any of them, just drop the stuff you downloaded through NMM into the Mod Organizer 'download' folder. You will want to clear out your Skyrim folder though.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Make_Skyrim_Vanilla_Again

And a Bash tag is just a thing for WryeBash for making bashed patches.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So you guys prefer MO over NMM? Is NMM likely the reason things went awry? From what I understand of NMM, it also handles logging files that have been overwritten and replacing them after the mod's uninstallation.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It does, but MO doesn't actually 'overwrite'. Rather, it if two mods are enabled that have conflicting files, there is a priority system which is what decides which of the mods' files are used. And you can change that by just dragging the mod up or down.

Rather than NMM's 'double click a mod and it copies the files into the Skyrim directory' system, MO has three steps: you download a mod, it goes into the Downloaded list. Double clicking extracts the mod, runs installers and such, and puts it in the 'available mods' list. Then from -that- list you 'activate' them to put the mods' files into the file structure magic MO does.

Yep.
VVV

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 31, 2014

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh that sounds quite handy. From what I can gather, if I wanted to get fancy with load order in NMM, merely switching the plugin order isn't enough. I would actually have to deactivate mods in order going back to a point, then reactivate in the new order (as opposed to MO's drag and drop interface) if I'm understanding you right? If so, MO does sound like the better option.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

I discovered a massive bug that was keeping lots of enemies from spawning with ASIS. The camp down the hill from helgen was a bit more exciting than it was last time I stopped by.

So I ran away.

And then I found some bandits who didn't realize there were wolves in the forest.

And then I crashed.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948

LtSmash posted:

I discovered a massive bug that was keeping lots of enemies from spawning with ASIS. The camp down the hill from helgen was a bit more exciting than it was last time I stopped by.

Haha this reminds me of the time that 30 Imperial Soldiers spawned inside one small section of a dungeon. AOE spells have never been more fun!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Siets posted:

Don't know if this is significant or not. I have no idea what a Bash Tag is or how to implement that suggestion.

It's nothing you should worry about. It's just merged patch stuff that if you're not running anything that completely messes with spawns / new items it won't matter.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

With SPERG added to the mod exclusions the new asis build stopped crashing. I found some necromancers having a disagreement with some giants.

The wilds of Skyrim are full of elk!

And also overrun with mudcrabs.

Silent Moons Camp was full of jerks who didn't want to share their moon enchantments.

Several other bandit camps had some trouble from the randomized spawns being hostile to bandits.

All my buffs are from npcs buffing themselves and it getting me too/instead. Anyone know if that's a SPERG thing? A script called SPESpellRepeater was spamming the hell out of my logs too from npcs being in unloaded cells with their spells still active. ASIS exclusion lists probably need to be made tighter since before a lot was just falling through the cracks.

I posted the new build on the asis comments section. Please give it a spin. You won't get the crowds I did unless you crank the spawn rates.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LtSmash posted:

I posted the new build on the asis comments section. Please give it a spin. You won't get the crowds I did unless you crank the spawn rates.

I'm looking for it but not finding it? Could you post the links here too? :)

Edit: Found it, but it's still pretty buried there.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 31, 2014

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

It took a few years, and there has been some previous iterations that were not nearly as good, but finally This Mod exists now.

This Mod ? Alternative Crafting System - I dont want to be a blacksmith

A Mod that lets you pay a smith to make (also temper ) items for you at a cost if you have the materials, and that recognizes stuff from other mods.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
After a lot of nonsense, I have found that the cause for my crazy FPS problem is CBBE. :psyduck:

I don't remember having any problem with it like this in the past though...

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Siets posted:

Oh that sounds quite handy. From what I can gather, if I wanted to get fancy with load order in NMM, merely switching the plugin order isn't enough. I would actually have to deactivate mods in order going back to a point, then reactivate in the new order (as opposed to MO's drag and drop interface) if I'm understanding you right? If so, MO does sound like the better option.

Yeah MO never actually touches the Skyrim data folder. Every mod is stored in its own completely separate folder, and then MO makes a virtual folder when you launch Skyrim that MO convinces Skyrim is actually the Skyrim\data folder. So none of your mods actually ever live in the same folder, which makes it easy to swap things in/out and change the order.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That is what makes MO so great - you can also just run Skyrim through steam to play it completely unmodded if you're just using MO.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Black Pants posted:

After a lot of nonsense, I have found that the cause for my crazy FPS problem is CBBE. :psyduck:

Maybe the beachball tits have too many polys?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

melon farmer posted:

Yeah MO never actually touches the Skyrim data folder. Every mod is stored in its own completely separate folder, and then MO makes a virtual folder when you launch Skyrim that MO convinces Skyrim is actually the Skyrim\data folder. So none of your mods actually ever live in the same folder, which makes it easy to swap things in/out and change the order.

Wow, that's a much better design. Going to work on making the switch tonight. Thanks for the clarification.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Black Pants posted:

Maybe you need more leather spandex so the intense hi res body sweat textures covering those beech balls isn't being rendered? Let us know how it turns out.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Petah posted:

Haha this reminds me of the time that 30 Imperial Soldiers spawned inside one small section of a dungeon. AOE spells have never been more fun!
That's the beautiful thing with ASIS: you could go into an enemy building and there might be three low-level soldiers for you and your follower to mop up, or there might be fifteen including three Bandit Chiefs. Who knows?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Crow posted:

Maybe you need more leather spandex so the intense hi res body sweat textures covering those beech balls isn't being rendered? Let us know how it turns out.

poo poo, you're right. :ohdear: I'll post the screenshots when I get my cinematic ENB set up just right and can find an appropriate waterfall to stand under.

• Locked thread