Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Sagebrush posted:

yeah man it was giving each citizen household 6x salt tablets that bankrupted the country. totally. that poo poo doesn't just grow in the ocean you know!

:edi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Process

The Purification Rundown usually takes several weeks. As well as spending time in saunas, people are required to do light exercise including calisthenics, treadmills, and other similar activities.[citation needed]

The program consists of a course of doses of vitamins (niacin in particular), long periods in a sauna, exercise, and consumption of a blend of vegetable oils, in the belief that the subject will sweat out the toxins and replace the oils in the body's fatty tissues with the vegetable oil.[14] Clear Body, Clear Mind recommends that participants maintain their normal diet throughout the procedure, supplemented with fresh vegetables.[15]

The program requires its participants to ingest the following at regular intervals:

A multi-vitamin cocktail, the main ingredient of which is Niacin. Clear Body, Clear Mind recommends initial doses of 100 mg, increasing to 5,000 mg over the course of the program.[7] This contrasts with the medically recommended level of about 15 mg: larger doses can have severe, even potentially fatal side effects.[7] The participant is told to expect toxic symptoms due to the release of poisons or radiation from their body fat.[16] Thus the effects of Niacin overdose, which include skin irritation, flushing, dizziness and headache, are interpreted as a positive effect of the rundown.[7][16][17]
Mineral supplements, including calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, manganese, copper, iodine and potassium.[18]
Up to half a cupful of pure oils per day.[14]
CalMag", a drink which Clear Body, Clear Mind describes as a solution of calcium gluconate, magnesium carbonate and vinegar in water, in such proportions that the mix has twice as much elemental calcium as magnesium.[19] This is taken up to three times per day.[14]
Enough liquids to replace the fluids lost in the sauna.[15]

Hubbard specified that each participant must complete a daily report form, listing the amounts of vitamins, minerals, Cal-Mag and other fluids taken, which is reviewed to make sure they are complying with every aspect of the program.[20]

The cost of the program was reported as about US$2,000 in 1990[2] $1,790 "with discounts" in 1996[17] (though another 1996 source claims around $4,000 for a four-week programme),[16] $1,200 in 1998[13] and $5,200 in 2009.[21]

The book Clear Body, Clear Mind contains a disclaimer which states that the program is not a medical treatment.[7] A similar disclaimer appears in the Hubbard Communication Office Bulletins noting that the treatment is not a medical process but a purely spiritual activity.[7] Hubbard recommends that the participant should sign a waiver noting that the program is not medical treatment.[7]
Promotion

The Purification Rundown is promoted as having physical and mental benefits such as lowering cholesterol, relieving pain, and improving memory. Scientology's promotional materials claim it can boost IQ by up to 15 points.[7] Scientologists are strongly encouraged to take part in the program as a necessary step in their spiritual progress.[1][13] Scientology promotes the Rundown to the public as a "detoxification" program, while it also works with allegedly non-religious but Scientology-affiliated groups such as Narconon to offer this program as a treatment for addiction and high levels of stress. Conditions that are said by Scientologists to respond to the program include cancer, AIDS, heart problems, kidney failure, liver disease and obesity.[22]

In a January 1980 announcement, Hubbard told his followers that a nuclear war was imminent and that the Rundown would enable them to deal with heavy fallout.[23] He warned that only those who completed the program would survive.[23]

The Church of Scientology unsuccessfully tried to have the Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Hubbard for his invention of the program.[23][24]

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Old dudes wanking off over college fanfiction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slobbovia

Fav bit:

Talk Page posted:

There are countless real nations with shorter entries

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Triskelli posted:

Fav bit:

man, and i thought Diplomacy was worthless!

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Russell Johnston (right) shares a joke with David Steel at the Liberal Party Assembly in 1987

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WorkingPeer posted:

Russell Johnston (right) shares a joke with David Steel at the Liberal Party Assembly in 1987

i used to comb my hair like the guy on the left. pretty sure my teeth were smaller, though

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

WorkingPeer posted:

i'm the bizarre artifacting around steel's head

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

quote:

Breasts were the mammary glands of mammalian species and some reptomammals, and were normally a distinguishing feature of the female of the species. Males did have breasts, but they were far less developed than their female counterparts due to the sexual dimorphism.

quote:

Aayla Secura using her breasts to impress a Gossam guard.

quote:

As in many other comic books, female characters are sometimes depicted with breasts on the verge of being disproportionately large. However, breast size is only ambiguously canonical, as characters that appear in both comics and movies typically have smaller breasts in the movies, whose canonicity overrides that of the comics.

:laffo:

e: holy hell

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Beard
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Virginity

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz
"Evar Orbus and His Galactic Jizz-Wailers"

Troglyfe fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 30, 2014

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

and some reptomammals

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

do eu books really get into breast feeding scenes? i can't imagine where that would be interesting or relevant to anything

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

theflyingexecutive posted:

do eu books really get into breast feeding scenes? i can't imagine where that would be interesting or relevant to anything
lmbo l@@k at this fuckin' prude

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

american version is if you stop breastfeeding you explode

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Triskelli posted:

Fav bit:

The Goondom of Phumpha was the land of one of the first new ethnicities to be added after the game was expanded through the science fiction fan network

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Carthag posted:

Goondom of Phumpha

moooooooods

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

grrm challenges american norms

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i hate hate hate hate hate how the star wars and star trek wikis write everything in the past by convention but then have articles like that where it makes zero loving sense to do so. i guess in the far, far future when these articles are supposedly being written, no one has beards or breasts or virginity any more

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 31, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's like the shitfest that happened with bradley manning / chelsea manning where the wikipedia editors went and changed all the pronouns when she made the announcement, and there was a huge fight, but they decided to keep every pronoun female and now the context of it all is really hosed up and confusing because it makes like she was openly a woman while she was in the military and when she was doing all that stuff

eg this, taken out of the greater context

quote:

she joined the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, and trained for deployment to Iraq.[32] In the fall of 2008 while stationed there she met Tyler Watkins, who was studying neuroscience and psychology at Brandeis University, near Boston.

doesn't even hint that she was an active duty male soldier dating a man before DADT was repealed

i know that it would be wrong to refer to her as a him at all now, but if you're going to use this article as a reference, it's needlessly confusing, i'd say even tantamount to rewriting history

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i hate hate hate hate hate how the star wars and star trek wikis write everything in the past by convention but then have articles like that where it makes zero loving sense to do so. i guess in the far, far future when these articles are supposedly being written, no one has beards or breasts or virginity any more

the first words of star wars are 'long, long ago' ffs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't care and also the star trek and doctor who wikis do the same thing and one of them is clearly set in the future and the other is set in nondeterministic time

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

yes that's what's wrong with those articles!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theadder posted:

yes that's what's wrong with those articles!!

it is!!!!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Eegah posted:

the first words of star wars are 'long, long ago' ffs

gently caress you i'm biting

it's A LONG TIME AGO YOU FUCKER

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
[i]fuk yesyes ii

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i ain't fixin that

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Rhode Islanders refer to drinking fountains as "bubblers," (pronounced bub-luhs.)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%F0%9F%91%AF

these unicode wiki pages never get old

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

gently caress you i'm biting

it's A LONG TIME AGO YOU FUCKER

that is why you are full of fail

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathcore

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Stoner Slude Metal

see also, Stoner Doom Metal

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendocore

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Moombahcore is a style of hardcore with 110 bpm and fuses brostep, techstep, breakcore, gabber deviating from moombahton. Characteristics of the genre include chopped vocals, technoid and dubstep-influenced bass sounds, and extensive build-ups.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Orbi posted:

brostep

According to a BBC review of his 2012 album Songs, the record was a muddled attempt by Rusko to realign his music with a "Jamaican inheritance" and distance it from the "belching, aggressive, resolutely macho" dubstep produced by his imitators.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
in 2050 every band will be a genre unto itself

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

all the good bands already are :smug:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

i enjoy some post-chill noise punk personally, but a lot of my favourite bands like T∑RR∞R, ۩, ░▒▒░ and βαρλσϻεϯ, are starting to sell out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

steamcore

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Abneypark2011.jpg

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
im pretty sure ive heard them and im pretty sure theyre extremely god awful

the only steampunk music you need is the decemberists

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

im the guy holding his guitar like a weapon

if i was in his shoes i'd be ready to take the lives of my band members and myself too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

transfatphobic posted:

the only steampunk music you need is clockwork angels
:awesome: