Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Studio posted:

The real issue with The Castle Doctrine is that it's not very fun.

I should rent out my skills as a prophet because as soon as I heard the guys talking about it on the podcast I correctly guessed that it would devolve into people making traps that are completely impossible to figure out beyond guessing the right path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fallom posted:

I should rent out my skills as a prophet because as soon as I heard the guys talking about it on the podcast I correctly guessed that it would devolve into people making traps that are completely impossible to figure out beyond guessing the right path.

This is what the tools are supposed to be for, to break the 'puzzle' such that you can work through it logically. Unfortunately you lose all your tools even if you don't use them and you've got no idea what tools you want before you enter the house.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The problem with tools is that eventually people learn to work around spending a few thousand on tools. For example saws are garbage if you just add a layer to your walls. There are some situations where you'd want like 10 dog foods, and other times where you just need a pistol round. The tools don't really make the game more interesting besides punishing bad designs.

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS
Sep 5, 2013

by XyloJW

Studio posted:

The problem with tools is that eventually people learn to work around spending a few thousand on tools. For example saws are garbage if you just add a layer to your walls. There are some situations where you'd want like 10 dog foods, and other times where you just need a pistol round. The tools don't really make the game more interesting besides punishing bad designs.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Fallom posted:

It looks about as much fun as playing as a low level creature on stage 15 of a tower defense game.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Arms_Akimbo posted:

It looks about as much fun as playing as a low level creature on stage 15 of a tower defense game.

That is an oddly specific example, hah. But yeah, I get what you mean. The puzzle design aspect of it, when left to people who don't design proper puzzles, just results in a buttload of boring combination locks or a horde of dogs. Just butting your head onto walls trying to get through.

e: I really like Patrick's new Spelunky avatar, but I feel that to complete the effect Chris Remo needs one too now. Make it a real competition.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Another Person posted:

... but in the interview he literally states he does not own a gun, does not want one, and has only touched one once. He doesn't want to shoot anything. By providing such a graphic, almost Hotline Miami level, depiction of violence and paranoia, he is intentionally making you question and think about it. Letting you, the player and builder, get killed by your own traps is alone providing an idea of how stupid these defence worries are. I'm just going to give up, because nobody is going to look at the drat interview to actually understand the point the dev is making. I'm just going to say that it is anti-security. He addresses it around here from this point through the next couple minutes, if you really want to jump to the bit I am talking about. He is taking a negative stance, the point of view he takes is that these concerns are entirely trumped up.

"... after going to the gunshop and looking at a gun and talking to my wife it just seemed like a bad idea."

I agree that the game getting more expensive is silly though.

The problem with this, and a problem with a lot of games with this kind of message is you're really actually validated in being a crazy violence/security nut in this game. Every other person is trying to get your money, and they will all gladly kill your wife to loot her corpse if given the opportunity. You have to defend your house or else you'll get hosed by everyone else. People WILL invade. If he is trying say it's wrong he shouldn't have tried to make the point in a game where every crazy step you take is necessary.

EDIT: Sorry for replying after you dropped this, didn't notice that before replying. I will say though this is less about the guy and more about the wider validity of portraying violence as bad in a game that mechanically encourages violence.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 31, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh man, I just realized that Jeff pronounces NES like N-E-S but SNES like Sness. Make up your mind, Jeff! :argh:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

404notfound posted:

Oh man, I just realized that Jeff pronounces NES like N-E-S but SNES like Sness. Make up your mind, Jeff! :argh:

Those are both the correct pronunciations so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Xbox1 - PS3 discount thing is curiously reminiscent of the early marketing of the Commodore 64, where you'd get a $100 trade-in for any other computer. Of course that worked out pretty well for Commodore, with the C64 being the best-selling home computer ever and all.
(You also got places that would sell you a new $70 ZX81 along with the C64 then immediately take it back for the $100 trade-in value.)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I wonder what Microsoft would do with any potential donated PS3s they got. Destroying them is just wasteful.

e; it's cool higsian, I pm'd my response to you, in agreement in some way

Another Person fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 31, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

uPen posted:

This is what the tools are supposed to be for, to break the 'puzzle' such that you can work through it logically. Unfortunately you lose all your tools even if you don't use them and you've got no idea what tools you want before you enter the house.

There's no figuring out the logic to a madman's maze when you can barely see a few tiles at once, to the point where it's just as impossible to figure out where you should use your tool as it is to figure out which path you should go down.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Higsian posted:

The problem with this, and a problem with a lot of games with this kind of message is you're really actually validated in being a crazy violence/security nut in this game. Every other person is trying to get your money, and they will all gladly kill your wife to loot her corpse if given the opportunity. You have to defend your house or else you'll get hosed by everyone else. People WILL invade. If he is trying say it's wrong he shouldn't have tried to make the point in a game where every crazy step you take is necessary.
Hell its even a dumbing down of the issue a lot of the inane crazy security measures have nothing to do with the premise of the game. Sure the Castle Doctrine is kind of strange but its just a small subset that this developer seems to be ignoring. Hell I don't even know how you could parody it correctly as real life typically does such a great job of it like what happened with Aqua Teen Hunger Force. That seems like it fits more in line with the whole Hotline Miami aesthetic than the game.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
What happened with Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I'm kind of interested now. I've never really seen it before because I never watched loads of Adult Swim stuff outside of Venture Bros.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

wa27 posted:

Drew secretly tells the best jokes on the podcast.

"I'm dressed as a speedbump!" still cracks me up everytime I think of it.

DannyHibiki
Feb 8, 2001

Once you POP, you can't STOP!

Gordy posted:

What happened with Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare
People thought some lite brite signs of the mooninites were bombs (????) and they were blown up by the cops.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Samopsa posted:

That's definitely his angle, the name alone implies that. IS IT RIGHT TO KILL AN INVADER TO PROTECT YOUR MONEY (and your wife and kids)?! YOU ARE THE MAN OF THE HOUSE IN A DOG EAT DOG WORLD :byodood:

Ok so here's the story about Jason Rohrer. He's a rich kid and so is his wife, so they decided to embark on some retarded voluntary poverty thing and force their kids to be poor with them. They soon learned that poverty actually leads to a pretty lovely life but not before Jason's wife was bit by a dog in the ghetto, which inspired him to create castle doctrine. Obviously after that they decided to draw on more of their trust funds and move to a nicer neighborhood.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DannyHibiki posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare
People thought some lite brite signs of the mooninites were bombs (????) and they were blown up by the cops.

Wow, no idea how I didn't hear about this. Weird.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Another Person posted:

Wow, no idea how I didn't hear about this. Weird.

It was a pretty funny thing when it happened

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Looks it. Even though it was probably well meaning when they sent out the bomb squads to sort them out, imagine being the shot caller behind it and the ridicule they faced for it, hahah.

At least it is probably not as bad as being the guy who was the shot caller for space pizza.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Al! posted:

Ok so here's the story about Jason Rohrer. He's a rich kid and so is his wife, so they decided to embark on some retarded voluntary poverty thing and force their kids to be poor with them. They soon learned that poverty actually leads to a pretty lovely life but not before Jason's wife was bit by a dog in the ghetto, which inspired him to create castle doctrine. Obviously after that they decided to draw on more of their trust funds and move to a nicer neighborhood.

No you see he's a super genius because he made a retro side scroller that showed how your life is meaningless because you will never accomplish anything that makes a difference and the only thing relationships do is block you from going places. :shepface:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

randombattle posted:

No it isn't. It is not relevant because no one designs their whole house to be a death trap that they have to run first. It's not applicable in anyway because you are not defending your house. It's like looking at Pokemon as a guide for pet care.

It'd make a great gameshow, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fobwashed I think is the guy who made the Patrick Spelunky sprites, and he's also a master of making gifs on the spot for key moments. If you don't have him followed, he's one of the folks who are worth following for that.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/fobwashed/images/

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
This guy could sell a million more copies of his 'vision' if he stripped out the blood, and titled it "Home Alone". Do you know how many people who don't play games, but cherish that movie, would purchase and play it?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
God damnit brad, how do you ask if anyone knows Octodad's secret right after Jeff and Vinny discuss it with the villain character right on screen shouting about it!

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

Carecat posted:

God damnit brad, how do you ask if anyone knows Octodad's secret right after Jeff and Vinny discuss it with the villain character right on screen shouting about it!

Man's gotta sleep. Hater

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Carecat posted:

There's some times I wonder if Brad is... OK.

That was one of those times. I mean it was right there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

uPen posted:

Those are both the correct pronunciations so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Correct but gently caress anyone who pronounces the NES as the "Ness."

It's just not right. :colbert:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

"Nez"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I never even realised that that pisses me off. But it has every time.

And I still hate the way Vinny says "forward". ("foh-wurd")

KoB
May 1, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Ness

Super Ness

:smugdog:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Grondoth posted:

There's some times I wonder if Brad is... OK.

That was one of those times. I mean it was right there.
I noticed that a lot of that behavior makes perfect sense if you imagine him just constantly looking at everyone he's talking to (or his phone) instead of the screen.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Plus he literally just said he wasn't listening to the dialogue

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alouicious posted:

Plus he literally just said he wasn't listening to the dialogue

He wasn't listening to the dialogue, or the 2 minute long conversation Jeff and Vinny were having about the question he asked right before he asked it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheJoker138 posted:

He wasn't listening to the dialogue, or the 2 minute long conversation Jeff and Vinny were having about the question he asked right before he asked it.

Come on, man! It's on honest mistake! One that happens in like....over half the quicklooks starring Brad.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
The funniest part about Patrick's talk about how slow the trickle of Virtual Console games on the WiiU is when he mentions he's just going to buy Mario Kart over the weekend because it's easier.

Super Mario Kart isn't even out on the WiiU VC yet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Come on, man! It's on honest mistake! One that happens in like....over half the quicklooks starring Brad.

I'm not really annoyed by it. I find it pretty funny that he seems to have the worst case of ADD I've ever seen. Dude just can't pay attention to anything for longer than a couple of minutes at a time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of weird that they all got together for that Blackguard QL and then proceed to show two battles and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Something amazing happened on the dota 2 stream.

• Locked thread