Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

iminers posted:

[–]AraduneMithara[S] 25 points 3 hours ago

treestick: While we're making a challenging game, but you won't need to grind or camp or do a dungeon for hours on end. Most of Pantheon is designed to be played in 1-2 hour increments.

So play for 1-2 hours and what... the game shuts off?

Can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

But yes, the game shuts off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

iminers posted:

[–]AraduneMithara[S] 25 points 3 hours ago

treestick: While we're making a challenging game, but you won't need to grind or camp or do a dungeon for hours on end. Most of Pantheon is designed to be played in 1-2 hour increments.

I think he means no individual content, if you have more time you can do multiple dungeons or whatever.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

G Prestige posted:

Can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

But yes, the game shuts off.

Awesome. I know where im throwing my tax return at..

Huttan
May 15, 2013

iminers posted:

No hell camps. No staying awake for days hoping for Raster of Guk to show up. Or Quillmane. Or Stormfeather. The idea is that you can get things accomplished in 1-2 hours instead of 100 hour camps and 12 hour raids. Someone made a joke account on the old monk forums called "Raster of Guk" and whenever people complained about horrible multi-day camps he'd post things like "here is a post card from the beach in Bermuda, I was waiting for you with a Corona" or sometimes taunts like "hah, you can't catch me!"

In the early days of EQ, Plane of Sky raids were weekend raids: port up Friday night, do Aviak island all day Saturday (like 12+ hours of it) and the rest Sunday. No one has time for things like that any more.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Huttan posted:

No hell camps. No staying awake for days hoping for Raster of Guk to show up. Or Quillmane. Or Stormfeather. The idea is that you can get things accomplished in 1-2 hours instead of 100 hour camps and 12 hour raids. Someone made a joke account on the old monk forums called "Raster of Guk" and whenever people complained about horrible multi-day camps he'd post things like "here is a post card from the beach in Bermuda, I was waiting for you with a Corona" or sometimes taunts like "hah, you can't catch me!"

In the early days of EQ, Plane of Sky raids were weekend raids: port up Friday night, do Aviak island all day Saturday (like 12+ hours of it) and the rest Sunday. No one has time for things like that any more.

I understand the removal of horrible camps like stuff resembling the fungi tunic camp and I think it's a good idea, but I hope there are very rare mobs like Quillmane that drop novelty items. Those are fun.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Interested in hearing about the pet class. Also I got scared when he mentioned Project1999 and someone mentioned "suing them out of existence." :negative:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
He's likely talking about this (relevant for this thread anyway):

Rogean posted:

Unless you've been hiding under a rock the last few weeks, you know that Brad Mcquaid, the creator of Everquest, Vanguard, and generally one of the pioneers of the industry, is creating a new MMO called Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

Brad has stated that the goal of his new MMO is, among other things, to bring back the great features that forged Everquest, such as the difficulty and challenge, to a new modern day MMO. Since Project 1999 has worked hard to recapture those days, the player bases between our project and Brad's new game share many things in common, and thus has gathered much interest from the devs and players.

So we are excited to announce that we will be holding a Project 1999 Round Table Discussion with the developers of Pantheon, including Brad Mcquaid, Salim Grant, and Ben de la Durantaye, to discuss their project and gather support to help fund the kickstarter. This informal / casual broadcast will happen live on Saturday, February 1st, at 7 PM Eastern (4 PM Pacific) at http://www.twitch.tv/sirkenp99.

All Project 1999 players and Pantheon supporters are encouraged to drop by, as there will be special announcements and giveaways throughout the session. Don't miss this!

See you there!

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Node posted:

I understand the removal of horrible camps like stuff resembling the fungi tunic camp and I think it's a good idea, but I hope there are very rare mobs like Quillmane that drop novelty items. Those are fun.

Yeah, agreed. Dropping cosmetic/fun items from rare spawns is a great idea. Nothing essential to your class so you don't have to spend days at a camp, but still fun nonetheless.

I can't decide what level I want to pledge at :( The $375 one is gone and that would have been the easy choice.

Ceythos
Jan 16, 2014
Brad's about to do an interview with Boogie2988 on youtube. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XrbsBt34c

Thanks again for the discussions and support, much appreciated :)

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Ceythos posted:

Brad's about to do an interview with Boogie2988 on youtube. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link:

Awesome, saw the new addon rewards and they're pretty neat, Custom Title / Mount seem the most worthwhile.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/posts/733365

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 30, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ceythos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XrbsBt34c

Less of an interview and more of a fan service.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
I'm not sure exactly how Kickstarter works, but if it's possible you should add more copies of the $45 tier. It seems to be the best value, for those not looking to break the bank.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

G Prestige posted:

I'm not sure exactly how Kickstarter works, but if it's possible you should add more copies of the $45 tier. It seems to be the best value, for those not looking to break the bank.

That's why they added the $55 tier.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Huttan posted:

None of y'all have anything on camping Faydedar for the druid epic before the patch where the spawn could be triggered. That motherfucker took like 2-3 weeks to respawn. I loving earned my Nature Walker's Scimitar, suck it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No offense but even my druid friends talk about how the druid epic was one of the easier ones. Try the SK epic.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Rasczak posted:

That motherfucker took like 2-3 weeks to respawn.

:eng101: One week, +- 24 hours.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Droid Washington posted:

No offense but even my druid friends talk about how the druid epic was one of the easier ones. Try the SK epic.

No doubt they did it after the patch where the Faydedar spawn could be triggered, where you could be prepared for it, and it was thus far easier. I wish I knew that patch was coming. I did it old school.

Did I mention that, at the time, it took 3+ full groups to kill this mob that used to spawn randomly once every 2+ weeks? You do nothing but camp this mob for weeks, only to have to scramble and assemble some rag-tag group to take down this drat thing at like 6 AM while you're kiting it around like a jackass. Does that sound easy to you?

Harettazetta posted:

:eng101: One week, +- 24 hours.

Haha bullshit, though I guess I (along with the guy before me apparently) might've somehow missed a spawn.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

Rasczak posted:

No doubt they did it after the patch where the Faydedar spawn could be triggered, where you could be prepared for it, and it was thus far easier. I wish I knew that patch was coming. I did it old school.

Did I mention that, at the time, it took 3+ full groups to kill this mob that used to spawn randomly once every 2+ weeks? You do nothing but camp this mob for weeks, only to have to scramble and assemble some rag-tag group to take down this drat thing at like 6 AM while you're kiting it around like a jackass. Does that sound easy to you?

Haha bullshit, though I guess I (along with the guy before me apparently) might've somehow missed a spawn.

Sounds easy. Think I had to kill some fish underwater and a couple other guys. THAT was tough. I had to use eye of zomm.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Druid epic was definitely considered one of the easiest ones to get, along with rogue. Sk, enchanter were probably the worst. I want to say mage and necro were pretty awful too. everyone else was kind of in the middle.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rasczak posted:

It's "easier" compared to other epics. Fay is one of the easier dragons too.

Several epics required people to kill *multiple* dragons and/or gods (almost all of them on a week long spawn like Faydedar), and if your typical guild level was over 52, you had to do the tougher ones in Kunark.

Or the clusterfuck that was Ragefire for the cleric epic.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

xZAOx posted:

It's "easier" compared to other epics. Fay is one of the easier dragons too.

Several epics required people to kill *multiple* dragons and/or gods (almost all of them on a week long spawn like Faydedar), and if your typical guild level was over 52, you had to do the tougher ones in Kunark.

Or the clusterfuck that was Ragefire for the cleric epic.

Well poo poo I guess I lack perspective then as druid was the only epic I personally did. I helped with others but it was basically "show up and kill X" from my end. Holy poo poo the EQ1 epics were ridiculous.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rasczak posted:

Well poo poo I guess I lack perspective then as druid was the only epic I personally did. I helped with others but it was basically "show up and kill X" from my end. Holy poo poo the EQ1 epics were ridiculous.

The only one that was unanimously laughed about was Rogue. That poo poo was so easy.

The next easiest would probably be considered Monk - it had a few tough parts, but where-as other epics were typically known spawn timers that your guild had to kill, this was solo-able or one-groupable mobs, but they're rare as hell spawns. People often took a week to get Raster of Guk to spawn by trading off with RL friends taking over your toon. It was like Fay where you just had to Trak - you had to keep killing mobs the entire time. Then there were 2 pipes in Kunark to get, that required you to be in a group killing mobs the entire time hoping the right mob would spawn.

After that though, it was 4 fights that you could trigger, that weren't too difficult for a typical guild. So it was tough in it's own way - but in the EQ world, it's easy, since it "just" needed a lot of a single person's time mostly (gently caress you Raster - I got a MQ from a buddy on live eventually). No competition against other guilds like you had for gods/dragons.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know beastlord came later, but I'm pretty sure I soloed the entire epic at level 55. Maybe I had help for the final fight.

I wonder why SOE didn't just give Brad a team and let him work on this MMO under their publishing? Him and Smedley seem to have a pretty good relationship. Makes me wonder if they just disagreed too much on game design, what with EQN going with Minecraft-like sanbox features and a cash shop.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 31, 2014

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's different ways a quest can be hard, but the original complaint seems to be about difficulties presented by big raid mobs being part of the quest: mobs that originally required a raid to kill, that had long respawn times and were not triggerable/spawnable as part of the quest, that were getting killed regularly by raid guilds for their other loot, and who frequently had large loot tables and thus rarely dropped the epic pieces. In those terms, the original Druid epic was in the harder half, but not the worst.

Note/Disclaimer: The only reason I remember this is because I've done or helped with all of these within the last year or two on P99. I'm not going to include stuff like Chardok Royals (quick respawn), easily triggerable mobs, or planar trash mobs (did not require a raid to kill, quick respawn).

Warrior: Red Dragon (Naggy/Talendor/Ragefire), Sev, Maestro, Spiroc Lord (Sky Isle 5 boss: repeatedly spawnable...if you knew how Sky worked)
Bard: Red Dragon (Naggy/Talendor/Ragefire), White Dragon (Vox/Gore), Trak - (red and white scales were in during classic but could both be turned in for high end items, so it's not like people had them banked in quantity)
Mage: Inny, Sky Isle 7 trash mobs (required a long raid with lots of mobs to kill to get up there, notably bee boss on 6)

Necro: Inny, CT
Wizard: CT, VS
Ranger: Inny, VS
Druid: Faydedar, VS
Paladin: Nag/Tal/Sev, Vox/Gore/Fay (the book drops were in pre-Kunark for the Fiery Avenger and used for nothing else), Sky Isle 4 turn-in

Cleric: Ragefire
SK: CT (pre-Kunark drop)

Enc: none
Shaman: None
Monk: none
Rogue: none

The rogue epic was by far the easiest, with Monk and Shaman being quite easy as well. Which epic was the hardest depended largely on your situation - if you were in a raid guild where the above mobs were getting killed regularly, some quests had very little else to do and might be pretty easy. Likewise, if you were rich, some epics had droppable or easily MultiQuestable pieces from raid mobs while others didn't. Some epics involved lots of small group content in places that it was hard to convince people to go (gently caress you Mr. SK, I am not going to the Hole AGAIN). Some epics had lovely infamous solo camps that drove many people crazy. Then there was the clusterfuck that was doing Ragefire as a Cleric - on many servers you had to be logged in, waiting for days at a time in Nag's lair for your chance to turn in your pearl. Many people considered the Mage epic to have the hardest single piece since you had to go all the way to Sky Isle 7 to get it, and many raid guilds had never even attempted Sky - like VP, it got skipped by all but the top guilds on many servers. Some people just had poo poo luck and never saw mobs like VS/CT/Inny/Trak, who all had huge loot tables, drop their needed piece even after 20+ kills.

TL;DR - waiting for FEESHDRAGON did suck, everyone but Rogues are allowed to complain about the annoying parts of their epic.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 31, 2014

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Droid Washington posted:

I wonder why SOE didn't just give Brad a team and let him work on this MMO under their publishing? Him and Smedley seem to have a pretty good relationship. Makes me wonder if they just disagreed too much on game design, what with EQN going with Minecraft-like sanbox features and a cash shop.

Because they're not doing well, just had to lay off tons of people, and shut down another 4 games. Brad wants to build a niche MMO, which SOE cannot afford to do. They want to build everything for everyone, from a company standpoint.

Not to mention, they're currently working on EQ:NL, EQ:N, and their new secret MMO (H1Z1?).

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Kicktraq is pretty accurate, yeah? I mean isn't Pantheon doomed already?

Unless they announce something insane, I suppose.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Loving Life Partner posted:

Kicktraq is pretty accurate, yeah? I mean isn't Pantheon doomed already?

Unless they announce something insane, I suppose.

The trending is interesting but ultimately near worthless at telling you if a project will fund or not. Too many projects get huuuuuge boosts the last few days.

That said, it doesn't take the kicktraq trending to see that they definitely have an uphill battle.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah. If you look at the pledges per day oftentimes the graph looks like a bathtub. Many pledges at the beginning and many at the end. So Pantheon can still make it, but it is far from guaranteed.

Extrapolation is really pretty useless. Well, not totally. The linear phase in the middle is relatively predictable in if that phase doesn't reach like 2/3 of the funding the spike at the end might not be enough. Or so.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 31, 2014

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Perhaps my experience was a little different. I most recently played on Al'Kabor (the Mac server that got shut down in November), where the bottleneck for the SK epic was the decrepit hide off the drakes in Hate. In a very good year, 2 would drop across the whole server. Likewise, the bottleneck for the Mage epic was Quillmane in SK. Because the drop rate was so terrible for the hides, I did Greenmist instead. I did make a lot of levels and plat farming darkforge armor sets for folks who wanted to try for it (mostly for folks in the progression guild who weren't allowed to use PoK until close to the end of the server).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Right, there's different bottlenecks for everyone. But it's not like AB drakes are hard to kill, especially at PoP progression. Quillmane is also not hard to do if you know how the spawn works and have a few friends to help out. The RNG loving that many people got is one of the biggest things that people didn't like about the original epics, and it sounds like that aspect will be avoided in Pantheon.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Right, there's different bottlenecks for everyone. But it's not like AB drakes are hard to kill, especially at PoP progression. Quillmane is also not hard to do if you know how the spawn works and have a few friends to help out. The RNG loving that many people got is one of the biggest things that people didn't like about the original epics, and it sounds like that aspect will be avoided in Pantheon.

He's mentioned nameds that have multiple spawn points. If those are used for epics (or whatever equivalent the game is likely to have), then hoo boy.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Breaking news, McQuaid and Garriott team up for cross-game funding:

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33758&storypage=2

Zam posted:

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Jan. 31, 2014 - Visionary Realms, Inc. is proud to announce today its collaboration efforts with Portalarium, the development studio of Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar. As an opening endeavor both Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen and Shroud of the Avatar will offer a cross-game reward for those who back both projects. The pledge reward will provide these backers with a cross-game cloak that can be worn in either game to promote a growing community. Pantheon will feature the Shroud of the Avatar symbol (Lord British' Coat of Arms) emblazoned on a cloak in their game, while Shroud of the Avatar will have a cloak bearing the Pantheon symbol.

"The opportunity to work with Portalarium is extremely exciting, not just in terms of what we can do together with our games, but also on a very personal level," said Brad McQuaid, Chief Creative Officer of Visionary Realms, Inc. "Lord British has been a hero of mine since I was a teen, and ultimately was responsible for inspiring me into the video game industry. Lord British and Portalarium continue to be an inspiration with 'Shroud of the Avatar.' It's a perfect example of how the core elements of games from years past can continue to influence and innovate in today's industry."

Richard 'Lord British' Garriott, Portalarium's Co-Founder and CEO, added: "There is no doubt that Brad McQuaid led EverQuest to become the standard bearer against which all other MMOs would be compared, and most have been patterned. Just as I hope fans are excited about the return of the King of Britannia in Shroud of the Avatar, I have no doubt that Brad McQuaid will lead Pantheon to fulfill and expand the vision he began in the earliest days of the MMO era, and grow it into the future. I for one, look forward to what I will again learn from his leadership in gaming."

McQuaid continued to say that "the evolution of how MMOs are made is happening right now. We're getting back to having the gaming community deeply involved in how the games are not only funded, but designed. A collaboration like this one only makes sense to further strengthen that growing community that involves not just the players and backers, but the developers as well."

The cross-promotion pledge tiers for both games are being added to the list of available awards starting today and can be picked up at Pantheon's Kickstarter, and Shroud of the Avatar's website.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Droid Washington posted:

Breaking news, McQuaid and Garriott team up for cross-game funding:

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33758&storypage=2

Welp, Brad's getting desperate...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Brad, you probably should look into a heavy push for your game a bit more later today or tomorrow since SOE is just now launching an alpha of EQ landmark.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

There's different ways a quest can be hard, but the original complaint seems to be about difficulties presented by big raid mobs being part of the quest: mobs that originally required a raid to kill, that had long respawn times and were not triggerable/spawnable as part of the quest, that were getting killed regularly by raid guilds for their other loot, and who frequently had large loot tables and thus rarely dropped the epic pieces. In those terms, the original Druid epic was in the harder half, but not the worst.

I remember abandoning the Necro epic because I wasn't in the guild farming CT and the right click effect on the duck staff was broken for a good year+.

Good times, good times.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

TL;DR - waiting for FEESHDRAGON did suck, everyone but Rogues are allowed to complain about the annoying parts of their epic.

As a warrior I was slowly putting together my epic. I would have tried harder for it but it just wasn't very good. I loved the look of it though, which is why I wanted it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I will donate to this, but I have two conditions that must be met.

First, there must be a quest called "You have 14 Days."

Second, there must be a giant monument where a group of heroes face off against a dragon while hiding under a bridge as a 100 foot naked human man looks on. The monument must be called "Conquest".

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Huttan posted:

I hate say this, but while you were busy growing up and getting a job, a whole new generation of people without time on their hands came about.

But these people will never experience the glory that is a game where you have to put any effort towards winning. Your everyone-must-get-a-trophy mentality is what is not only ruining the MMO genre, it's ruining the entire loving world. Because "no one has time to play anymore" everything is now designed to fit your cookie-cutter 2-hour-maximum playstyle. You can now buy your way to victory through kickstarter initiatives and cash shops, and get the best loot from all the dungeons by simply standing in line for it. You don't even have to talk to people anymore because that is a waste of your precious loving time.

All I can say is gently caress you, and your shameful mentality. If you don't have time to play MMOs then you should get back to your loving work and leave video games to the people who enjoy playing video games.

And look what you did making me get all emotional on the internet. gently caress you.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
Lord Sperg has spoken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

pertinent posted:

I hate say this, but while you were busy growing up and getting a job, a whole new generation of people without time on their hands came about.

But these people will never experience the glory that is a game where you have to put any effort towards winning. Your everyone-must-get-a-trophy mentality is what is not only ruining the MMO genre, it's ruining the entire loving world. Because "no one has time to play anymore" everything is now designed to fit your cookie-cutter 2-hour-maximum playstyle. You can now buy your way to victory through kickstarter initiatives and cash shops, and get the best loot from all the dungeons by simply standing in line for it. You don't even have to talk to people anymore because that is a waste of your precious loving time.

All I can say is gently caress you, and your shameful mentality. If you don't have time to play MMOs then you should get back to your loving work and leave video games to the people who enjoy playing video games.

And look what you did making me get all emotional on the internet. gently caress you.
This post is going to be associated with you for the rest of your time on SomethingAwful. Hope it was worth it!

• Locked thread