Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

Does anyone here use Root Explorer for their file browser? The last time I tried it was right after they made the move to a Holo interface and it was quite broken for me. I can't remember the exact ways it failed but I do remember trying it and then getting it refunded within the fifteen minute window.

Now it looks like it's grown up quite nicely. It looks good, seems to work well, and adheres to Android UI guidelines as far as I can tell. I've been trying out the free non-root version but I think I like it enough to buy it but I was wondering if anyone had any criticisms of it before I do. If anyone has OS X Mavericks and can confirm it works with the SMB shares I'd appreciate it even more but I'm sure that's a long shot.
I've been using it since back in the Froyo days and have always been pleased with it. Can't comment on the Mac OS SMB shares, but it's fine with the SMB shares on my Linux set top box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

I've been using it since back in the Froyo days and have always been pleased with it. Can't comment on the Mac OS SMB shares, but it's fine with the SMB shares on my Linux set top box.
Well I know it works with Linux SMB shares since I've had to use MacPorts Samba3 since Lion to get ES to connect to them. It's not like I'm having to reconfigure my network shares often but it would be nice to not have to edit the configuration file manually to do it.

I guess if I have the time I can always rip out MacPorts and if it doesn't work do a Time Machine restore but if I can avoid that I'd like to.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

TraderStav posted:

:facepalm:

Yes, it worked exactly as desired. Now I feel like a dummy for not doing a test run. I just didn't remember a snooze at 5:45am!

Is Baconreader the best reddit app? I'm irritated it takes like three clicks to hide a post and you have to hit the thumbnail to load instead of just the line. Alien blue on the iPhone really nailed it.

I used to use BaconReader but I switched to RedditSync and only kept BR around because it supported multiple accounts. Once RS added that feature I deleted BR (paid for both of the pro version). RS recently had a whole redesign and it's pretty fantastic. I had one issue that the dev cleared up pretty much immediately. You can swipe a post to hide it and there are a few different layouts you can try.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
By the way every reddit app on ios and Android have the worst names

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
What are some recommended games for when I'm on the can? I have candy crush and pixel dungeon installed already.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

calandryll posted:

What are some recommended games for when I'm on the can? I have candy crush and pixel dungeon installed already.

Puzzle and Dragons works perfect for this. :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

calandryll posted:

Worms 2: Armageddon is pretty great:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.worms2armageddon.app

Necessary SA browsing app mention:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ferg.awfulapp

Also, there is an android games thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483273&pagenumber=299&perpage=40

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 27, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Woops double post

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rusty! posted:

I presume you mean data partition? The thing that's eating the system partition is TouchWiz.

Best thing you can do is back it up and use Odin to steal space from the built in SD card and give it to data.

I was about to do that for the missus, but she got a cheap GS3 instead.

Actually, as it turned out, the space was being eaten by a gig of log files.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ilysespieces posted:

I used to use BaconReader but I switched to RedditSync and only kept BR around because it supported multiple accounts. Once RS added that feature I deleted BR (paid for both of the pro version). RS recently had a whole redesign and it's pretty fantastic. I had one issue that the dev cleared up pretty much immediately. You can swipe a post to hide it and there are a few different layouts you can try.

Yup, this is what I'm looking for. Elegant simplicity. I'm not a reddit power user. Just want to quickly and efficiently look at some front page stuff and hide away the shite.

Thanks!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Reddit News is great and works pretty well.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm finding the stock Music player on the Moto X and N5 to be a bit lackluster for my audiobooks. I REALLY like the fact that I can tap into my Google music library so adding them is a real cinch but I'd really like something that has buttons for skip ahead/behind 10/15 seconds or so for when I miss something. I also found that it lost my place when I switched to listening to some music. What's the best recommendation to replace and keep those key features?

Thanks!

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

calandryll posted:

I've been playing the crap out of Hay Day. It's one of those fremium farmville clones, but it's done very very well.

Have a poop, grow some wheat.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

calandryll posted:

There's an Android thread in Games with a lot of suggestions. The OP might be way out of date though.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

There's an Android thread in Games with a lot of suggestions. The OP might be way out of date though.

It is.

What's a good media player for video stuff? I'm using the free version of MX player but it gets choppy playing mkv files so I don't want to drop money on it in the hope that the paid version is better. It could be that my files are jacked up, but I think it's just the format. This is on a nexus 5 for what it's worth.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mkv isn't a format. It's a container with stuff in it, so performance is gonna depend on the stuff - codecs, bitrate and so on. Did you try using the different decoders (s/w, h/w, h/w+) if you can?

I like dice player too, I think that sometimes plays things smoothly that MX chokes on, but it all depends on the stuff. Worth a try anyway (and it's worth keeping around for the floating window mode if you're into that)

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's a good plaintext note syncing app? I've been using Evernote but it feels way overkill for my needs (and it's stopped syncing for no apparent reason). I prefer working in plaintext anyway so I just need something simple that'll sync to Dropbox and maybe Box or SkyDrive.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Karthe posted:

What's a good plaintext note syncing app? I've been using Evernote but it feels way overkill for my needs (and it's stopped syncing for no apparent reason). I prefer working in plaintext anyway so I just need something simple that'll sync to Dropbox and maybe Box or SkyDrive.
Why not Keep?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
That's definitely an option, but I'm fond of the idea of seeing each note as a .txt file that I can open on my PC with my default notepad application. Keep wouldn't be as much use to me offline as actual files.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Karthe posted:

That's definitely an option, but I'm fond of the idea of seeing each note as a .txt file that I can open on my PC with my default notepad application. Keep wouldn't be as much use to me offline as actual files.
Then just use any file browser's text editor to manually create files and something like DropSync to automatically upload them to the cloud. Most file browsers also include a widget to launch a specific folder/file so you can do that quickly.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karthe posted:

If you use Chrome you can install the Keep plugin to access and create notes offline and they just sync up whenever you next connect:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-keep/hmjkmjkepdijhoojdojkdfohbdgmmhki/related?hl=en

I keep it pinned on my taskbar.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Tunga posted:

If you use Chrome you can install the Keep plugin to access and create notes offline and they just sync up whenever you next connect:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-keep/hmjkmjkepdijhoojdojkdfohbdgmmhki/related?hl=en

I keep it pinned on my taskbar.

You can do the same thing with the android app, btw

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

It is.

What's a good media player for video stuff? I'm using the free version of MX player but it gets choppy playing mkv files so I don't want to drop money on it in the hope that the paid version is better. It could be that my files are jacked up, but I think it's just the format. This is on a nexus 5 for what it's worth.

I've been using BSPlayer. MX Player would struggle playing some files both over wifi and off my OTG cable'd SD card, but BSPlayer never had any problems.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I use Keep a ton because I'm constantly jotting notes, which later get fleshed out in Drive. I really wish you could filter them by color. Also, being able to pin a single "note" to a home screen as a widget would be fantastic.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Does anyone with SwiftKey notice that it just flat out refuses to learn some words. Particularly cuss words and some other random things such as names (in my case "Jenn" and "Endymion") despite how often I might type those names in and force it to take what was typed?

Hell, I even have a phone contact of Jenn so I have no clue why it can't seem to get this right. It's driving me nuts and I'm close to wanting to ditch it for another keyboard solution.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
SwiftKey in general seems pretty shaky for the last few weeks. It forgets words it definitely has learned before and sometimes simply ignores that it's supposed to support different languages at the same time.

It's still great, but I used to like it better before all that strange behavior started.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Yeah, the automatic correction is kinda finicky, especially when swiping. Curse words will be in my suggestions when tapping, but never when swiping.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
When SwiftKey acts up and doesn't learn new words or forgets words it definitely has learned before try to delete its app data/cache. Happened to me a couple of times and this always fixed it.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Speaking of SwiftKey, does anyone have issues with it 'remembering' that it is your default keyboard after phone restart?

Every time I reboot my phone, I have to re-set it as my default keyboard, which is getting annoying.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MentosMan posted:

Speaking of SwiftKey, does anyone have issues with it 'remembering' that it is your default keyboard after phone restart?

Every time I reboot my phone, I have to re-set it as my default keyboard, which is getting annoying.

What kind of phone do you have? This was a bug on Samsung devices that had certain versions under 4.2 IIRC. It was fixed in most major samsung models such as the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 with software updates.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

MentosMan posted:

Mine does this after every update, but not on reboots.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

bronin posted:

When SwiftKey acts up and doesn't learn new words or forgets words it definitely has learned before try to delete its app data/cache. Happened to me a couple of times and this always fixed it.

Wow, that did the trick. This is going to save me so much frustration.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Got myself a phone, and am keen to download a bunch of apps :woop:.
Grabbed the Awful App, Audible, Kindle, DI-FM, and Steam so far.

Is Facebook's official app fine?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mister Macys posted:

People in here will say it's not because they're still stuck in some 2011 time warp, but yes it's fine.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

People in here will say it's not because they're still stuck in some 2011 time warp, but yes it's fine.

Yeah, it's not amazing but it isn't shittastic like it used to be.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Mister Macys posted:

Give it a try and if you don't like it, check out Klyph (3rd party Facebook app).

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

TraderStav posted:

I'm finding the stock Music player on the Moto X and N5 to be a bit lackluster for my audiobooks. I REALLY like the fact that I can tap into my Google music library so adding them is a real cinch but I'd really like something that has buttons for skip ahead/behind 10/15 seconds or so for when I miss something. I also found that it lost my place when I switched to listening to some music. What's the best recommendation to replace and keep those key features?

Thanks!

I really like Smart Audiobook Player, though I don't use Google Music so I don't know about the syncing bit. Basically you point it to a folder and it scans subfolders for books, automatically merging multi-file books and keeping tracking of where you were. I assume you could just point it to the appropriate place for syncing. In the full version it has 10 second forward/back skip, multiple bookmarks, adjustable playback speed, various other options. I don't remember how much I paid for it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I have a silly little thing I'd like to get my phone to do. I'd like to set up an icon I can poke to play horns.aiff. Anybody have a suggestion on how to accomplish this?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
It's not exactly an app question, but this is probably the most apt place to ask. Is there a way to make it so that Android does NOT show the unlock interface immediately when I press the power button to bring it out of sleep? I would prefer it to not show the number pad/dot grid/whatever until I do a swipe action for unlocking the phone, and show my full lockscreen widget instead. Or to put it another way, how the iOS lock screen works.

To visually illustrate, this is what it looks like when I press the power button:

What I would like it to be (I currently have to drag the unlock dot grid down):

Is there a way to do this? My Google searches have proven unfruitful.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's possible but it requires root. Either GravityBox or a CM-like ROM.

• Locked thread