Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
I got into Unsounded late, and I'm still trying to find this in the many, many pages of story I've missed, but...

What's up with Hamsteak? I was under the impression she was just a crooked cop on the take from a criminal. But fighting with Elka it sounds like she thinks SHE is on the 'good guy' team here? I get that the city is supposed to be closed entirely soon, and people may be up in arms about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

VictorGrunn posted:

I got into Unsounded late, and I'm still trying to find this in the many, many pages of story I've missed, but...

What's up with Hamsteak? I was under the impression she was just a crooked cop on the take from a criminal. But fighting with Elka it sounds like she thinks SHE is on the 'good guy' team here? I get that the city is supposed to be closed entirely soon, and people may be up in arms about that.
Stockyard probably promised the guards he'd do something to keep the town open.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Stockyard probably promised the guards he'd do something to keep the town open.

And that something is almost certainly tied into the first silver scheme.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Haha, that beatdown in the background.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The structure of magic in this comic is really cool. Swapping the properties of your armour for your enemies to gain an advantage :allears:

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

VictorGrunn posted:

I don't think she thinks she's the good guy, just that the people in her city are getting screwed over. Which they kind of are: the city is going to be disbanded, and all its inhabitants sent elsewhere. They don't get a say in this happening, the Crescian central government dictates it because Cresce has a managed economy.

The Peaceguard serves the Crescian central government directly, so Hamsteak is just working out all her frustrations about losing her home and her job on Elka. She IS corrupt and on the take - she may be interested in trying to leave Cresce rather than be reassigned, but she would need money to do so, and Crescians don't use "money" as the other countries understand it and the money Cresce issues is worthless anywhere else. Stockyard would probably be her only option for getting her hands on real money, so she may be on his payroll somewhat unwillingly and blame the Crescian government's city closure for her own actions.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/world/index.php/Cresce

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When did these guys show up before? I can't remember them at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

When did these guys show up before? I can't remember them at all.

Very beginning of the chapter.

Also Elka's gonna get shanked if she doesn't stop gloating.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks like Hamsteak isn't down for the count yet. I guess Elka becoming a large ham motivated her to show that nobody beats her largeness and hamitude.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Cat Mattress posted:

Looks like Hamsteak isn't down for the count yet. I guess Elka becoming a large ham motivated her to show that nobody beats her largeness and hamitude.

I'm a bit worried that Matty is nowhere to be seen in the past 2 pages while everyone else is. Hostage situation upcoming?

Edit: I guess not. Though it also looks like Hamsteak really does think she's on the side of angels here.

VictorGrunn fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 21, 2014

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Heh, poor Elan keeps running into the worst situations for someone with a heart condition. First there's what amounts to an EMP to his magical pacemaker, then Elka straight up attacks him out of nowhere to steal his police badge, and now, Elka flips out on him when he's already doing something sneaky.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch08/ch08_66.html

Doesn't seem like she excused her.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I really like how this particular scene developed: how often in a story does two cops putting kids in a jail cell for their own good ever get set up so that the cops are obviously sane and reasonable? Like, there's still LOADS of room for this to backfire horribly, but their logic was both sound and humane, one of the two kids in question basically agreed with it*, and they have a really rational plan if one of the biggest possible issues (angry dad) comes along.

*Cultural thing, yes, but he's also spent the last however as someone's prisoner, so there was legitimate reason for him to freak out if he was going to.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Eh, I kinda just want to get back to the lion-girl and her attack zombie.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Drakyn posted:

and they have a really rational plan if one of the biggest possible issues (angry dad) comes along.

I also like how the plan to deal with Quigs is 'If he shows up and wants his boy, give him his boy. And then try to cut a deal with him.' Proper priorities from the level-headed guy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So, about the new pages; AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, um, Christ :stonk:

What the hell is Starfish's little operation for?

Or is it interference by that freaky kobold cannibal(?) guy?

E: had my wires crossed, typed the wrong name.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 31, 2014

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Tollymain posted:

Yeah, um, Christ :stonk:

What the hell is Quigley's little operation for?

Or is it interference by that freaky kobold cannibal(?) guy?

Its not Quigley's, he was just a hired goon. This is Stockyard's game, at the behest of some other power no doubt.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Seems pretty clear now why agony-infused first silver (I think that was what they stuffed inside the kidnap victim?) isn't something you want smuggled into your country if you can in any way help it.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 31, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slashrat posted:

Seems pretty clear now why agony-infused first silver (I think that was what they stuffed inside the kidnap victim?) isn't something you want smuggled into your country if you can in any way help it.

They stuffed first silver into the victims. It became agony-infused later, for obvious reasons.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I wonder if the recent pages have anything to do with Elsa's mention of core leeches? Missing their organs seems like a pretty vital flesh aspect and the khert can't affect first materials, so maybe the slavers cart is like one reality-bending glitch with the core leeches constantly trying (and failing) to remove the silver carriers.

...Christ.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
The Khert recognizing people as people is necessary for them to be people and for their bodies to work. On the one hand the silver must be fooling the Khert into thinking their missing organs aren't missing for them to still be alive. On the other hand, the first silver itself also messes with the whole recognizing them as people part and so their very existence.
The people in that cart are simultaneously not-dead/people and dead/not-people... Yeah, that can't be fun.

Happy Yeti fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 31, 2014

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
...Well, I guess it's good that Jivi didn't save that kid.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I don't think First Materials keep the khert from working since the khert is what makes Existence work, it just keeps you from Tricking the khert which is how you do (normal) magic. So I don't think whatever's happening follows the normal rules, pain magic evidently must be special.

Edit: well looking at the wiki it looks like first materials can still be permanently enchanted so no this could still be the same rules as normal magic, I just don't think its working like you guys think it is.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 2, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
If I've understood Ms. Cope's explanation correctly, first materials contain their own version of the khert, like a sort of mini-world. Khert lines from the outside world don't go in, and the ones inside don't go out. So you can enchant them by working with their internal khert lines, but also they resist any magic that tries to effect them via lines in the outside world.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
On a rather different note:

Sette :3:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sette's going for a world record of how many times a person can be stone-cold busted in a single morning.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Wait is that his phylactery? What's supposed to happen if he learns of it?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
"I'm a wright, not a magician." Oh, Duane. :allears:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Jackard posted:

Wait is that his phylactery? What's supposed to happen if he learns of it?

We're not really sure what it is, but it is something that allows Sette to control nighttime Duane. If he learns of it he'll be even more pissed off I imagine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gally posted:

We're not really sure what it is, but it is something that allows Sette to control nighttime Duane. If he learns of it he'll be even more pissed off I imagine.

It was also given to her by Bastion "Death Is The Gods' Crime" Winalils, who most likely had a hand in Duane's resurrection. Phylactery sounds like a pretty solid theory.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Yeah, I think its safe to assume that magic thing has his daughter's blood in it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Duane :allears:.

"Then why did you-"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Lyin' aint' about lyin', it's about pickin' the best world and livin' in it no matter what. :allears:

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Holy hell, today's page was excellent, I did not see that coming. Alive Duane's face on dead Duane was just such a punch in the gut after getting his full story.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Yeah, looks like Sette is a really good lying teacher.

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat
God drat, what a great page today. :allears:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

bigbigtruck posted:

God drat, what a great page today. :allears:

Yep, pretty much.

This comic is so dark in so many ways, so "inside, you're still that grinnin' wanker in green knockin' down bullies" is... really heartwarming, basically.

(Link to current page.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Good lord, that speech gave me goosebumps (mostly because I just got out of the shower and was still drying off, but still.) Also it says a lot about Sette: we know that her larger-than-life swagger is built on a foundation of repression and willful denial of how awful her life is. No wonder she's the best at lying :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Gabriel Pope posted:

Good lord, that speech gave me goosebumps (mostly because I just got out of the shower and was still drying off, but still.) Also it says a lot about Sette: we know that her larger-than-life swagger is built on a foundation of repression and willful denial of how awful her life is. No wonder she's the best at lying :smith:

Yep, Great page all around. Says both a lot about Sette and a lot about Duane as well.