Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pacheeco posted:

Test model for the Czech Hedgehogs I built and am finally painting. Need input on how far to take them. Good enough for the table? Change color to an olive drab? Hit it with some kind of wash even though there's not much texture or geometry for the wash to adhere to? I don't need master-class level painting on these, they're just terrain and I have about 30 of them to paint so I'd rather keep them quick and simple but I'm wondering if I'm overlooking a really easy step to make them look better.

I'd be happy to see those on the table! I might just weather the bottom a little bit with mud or dirt or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

SRM posted:

I'd be happy to see those on the table! I might just weather the bottom a little bit with mud or dirt or something.

Which paint companies make decent "mud in a bottle" that isn't the same color as the hedgehog itself? Or is there an easier DIY method? "Weathering/environmental effects" is an area of painting that I haven't delved into yet.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 30, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pacheeco posted:

Which paint companies make decent "mud in a bottle" that isn't the same color as the hedgehog itself? Or is there an easier DIY method? "Weathering/environmental effects" is an area of painting that I haven't delved into yet.

Vallejo has Earth Texture pastes in Black Lava, Dark Earth, Brown Earth, Desert Sand, Red Oxide and uncoloured, none of which are the same colour as the hedgehog. I have the Dark Earth one, seems pretty good to me from a quick test run.

Grime without full on mud texture, the new citadel typhus corrosion will do the job.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 30, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

If you want a dry / dusty look to your weathering rather than say thick gloopy textured mud, get yourself some pigments, they always do the trick. Plenty of tutorial videos out there too :)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hell, even just lightly drybrushing on some tan color makes good dust. Just do it strategically around the bottom, and maybe in areas where dust would pool.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
How do you guys manage painting when moving parts like doors and turrets are involved?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Paint them separately and glue them in later when possible (e.g. sensor pod on Tau hammerhead) or if it's just a rhino door, slap it in there and just paint it.

e:

I don't often toot my own horn, but I'm really pleased with how this turned out, so cross-posting!

ijyt posted:

Oath Complete!

This month's jurnal is the glow on the cannon frame from the warpstone, and in the barrel.

It's such a bitch to properly light a model when it has so many shadowy crevices.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 31, 2014

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Do a slightly heavier lining around the door. Either a slightly thicker line, or a darker color. This'll bring it out more, make it appear a separate part from the surrounding material.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

ijyt posted:

I don't often toot my own horn, but I'm really pleased with how this turned out, so cross-posting!

This is really great. I think the added OSL on the sides of the cannon helps give it a more glowing feel. Well done

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ijyt posted:

In the first pic I thought that the rat with the telescope had a massive lens for a face, which I think would've been a pretty great idea :kimchi:

Regardless, you should be pretty proud of this. Its amazing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Painted up a Techmarine for my Ultras over the last two days. I started timing it out and realized it's taking me forever to paint these guys, but I'm pretty happy with the results! I'll do up Servitors and/or a Thudd Gun for him eventually:

And here we have the Mirror, Mirror version of this Techmarine:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Ooh, awesome glass effect on the lenses and buttons.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh man those tiny lenses totally gave me that "ooh shiny" reaction little kids get.

Zhent posted:

This is really great. I think the added OSL on the sides of the cannon helps give it a more glowing feel. Well done

Business Gorillas posted:

In the first pic I thought that the rat with the telescope had a massive lens for a face, which I think would've been a pretty great idea :kimchi:

Regardless, you should be pretty proud of this. Its amazing.

Thanks a lot! Lens faced Skaven would look pretty great, especially for a Clan Skyre warplock engineer.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 31, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Lich Lord Terminus is the most miserable loving model I've had to put together in a long time.

Who thought metal wings with a single tiny tab as a contact point was a good idea?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

And here we have the Mirror, Mirror version of this Techmarine:

Hnnngghh, those are so good. And that Techmarine is one of my favorite models, along with the old Iron Priest model.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Lich Lord Terminus is the most miserable loving model I've had to put together in a long time.

Who thought metal wings with a single tiny tab as a contact point was a good idea?

Are you pinning them?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are you pinning them?

I snapped a drill bit and chipped another.

So, yes. Yes I did. I pinned every single part of the loving model, save the head and the leg armor. Then I filled in gaps with brown stuff jut so be on the safe side.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

I snapped a drill bit and chipped another.

So, yes. Yes I did. I pinned every single part of the loving model, save the head and the leg armor. Then I filled in gaps with brown stuff jut so be on the safe side.

I just looked up that miniature and :sbahj:

You're a braver man than I.

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

Speaking of pinning, I think I'm going to buy a dremel or something dremel-esque to make pinning easier. Does anyone have suggestions for specific models I should look into?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I would get something with a cord, otherwise it shouldn't matter much. A flex shaft is nice as well but not a requirement

Be careful, though. When I have used them for making holes for pins or magnets it can be difficult to secure the mini and keep the drill from skipping and ruining details. If you are primarily working with plastic just stick to hand pin drill.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

EAThief posted:

Speaking of pinning, I think I'm going to buy a dremel or something dremel-esque to make pinning easier. Does anyone have suggestions for specific models I should look into?
Be sure you get an adjustable head instead of the lovely switchable sizes. Lots of time saved.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

EAThief posted:

I have the Dremel Stylus and it works well for my needs. The battery life lasts for a long-rear end time in between uses, and I have to recharge it maybe once a month at the worst. Fits pretty comfortably in my hand, which is the main selling point for me as my hands can cramp up after a while.

I really, really suggest picking up a pack of 1/32" drill bits if you do a lot of small pinning, or like to do a lead hole before using a larger bit. They have a tendency to snap.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Slimnoid posted:

I have the Dremel Stylus and it works well for my needs. The battery life lasts for a long-rear end time in between uses, and I have to recharge it maybe once a month at the worst. Fits pretty comfortably in my hand, which is the main selling point for me as my hands can cramp up after a while.

My problem with these kinds of battery devices is that after a year or two the battery just won't hold a charge any more and then you have to rebuy the same device. Planned obsolescence in the most annoying of ways. This isn't an iPhone, I still have corded drills from my grandfather that do the job just as well as anything I could go buy today. You also never need to worry about running out a charge or it weakening if you are working for long periods, which may not be an issue if all you ever do with it is pin a few miniatures at a time.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

My problem with these kinds of battery devices is that after a year or two the battery just won't hold a charge any more and then you have to rebuy the same device. Planned obsolescence in the most annoying of ways. This isn't an iPhone, I still have corded drills from my grandfather that do the job just as well as anything I could go buy today. You also never need to worry about running out a charge or it weakening if you are working for long periods, which may not be an issue if all you ever do with it is pin a few miniatures at a time.

Weird. I got mine used (and free) and have had it for almost two years without a single problem.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, just crack it open, pull out the battery, and buy a replacement from an electronics supply. If you can do some basic soldering, know not to discharge capacitors across your fingers, and it's possible to open it without breaking it, that's a cheap option.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Slimnoid posted:

Weird. I got mine used (and free) and have had it for almost two years without a single problem.

My Dremel Stylus battery died after 13 months, right out of warranty.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Slimnoid posted:

I lost five pounds putting him together.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

Probably a disciple of the twisted mind that designed Nekima:

(that's a 50mm base, the whole mini is metal; I love that mini but whoever designed it deserves a kick in the nuts; also, pic/paintjob not mine)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Oath thread crosspost time!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Probably a disciple of the twisted mind that designed Nekima:

(that's a 50mm base, the whole mini is metal; I love that mini but whoever designed it deserves a kick in the nuts; also, pic/paintjob not mine)

See I had less of a problem with Nekima. I pinned and assembled that model in under 3 hours on a bet (and loving won thankyouverymuch).

Terminus is on a whole other level of annoying.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Leperflesh posted:

Also, just crack it open, pull out the battery, and buy a replacement from an electronics supply. If you can do some basic soldering, know not to discharge capacitors across your fingers, and it's possible to open it without breaking it, that's a cheap option.

This. The batteries inside are just rechargeable AAs. Or if you are feeling like you don't or can't handle it, take it to a Batteries Plus or Battery Giant (in the us) and they will do it for you much cheaper than replacing the unit.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
More Infinity Frenchies:

These scenic base dudes were a lot of fun to do.

He's like "oh, a flower!".

Family picture. I've got a duplicate Metro so I think I'll do a conversion later.

JJ Abrams' infinity.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Quick question, what's better for attaching Army Painter tufts, superglue or PVA?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Pierzak posted:

Quick question, what's better for attaching Army Painter tufts, superglue or PVA?

I'm using superglue or cyanoacrylate. I like the one that's like a gel.

Edit: though I use the Silflor brand ones, I think they might be the same before repackaging and extortioning.

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 1, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Crossposting from the oath thread (with a bit of Army Painter tuft attached by superglue gel :v:)

NTRabbit posted:

"I'm going to maul you"

OSL around the grenade

OSL around the port on the gun

First time I've tried some flock on a base

OSL light from the gun port shining on his side

Deadzone is all about independent characters, so all my Marauders are going to be as individual as you;d expect from a professional mercenary force - uniform as a base, with with some extra personal flourishes, like Red-Left and "der Panzer" here

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Can anybody ID this model and/or the parts used to kitbash it?

I need it

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The base model is Captain Cato Sicarius, the open hand is from the Terminator Librarian kit I imagine, and the head and weapon look like something third party, maybe Kromlech or Maxmini.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

The base model is Captain Cato Sicarius, the open hand is from the Terminator Librarian kit I imagine, and the head and weapon look like something third party, maybe Kromlech or Maxmini.

Agreed. SRM knows his man dolly parts.

Also that is a sick rear end red on that armor.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Hand is a missile launcher arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Crosspost from the oath thread. Too much OSL, or not enough?

• Locked thread