Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

FouRPlaY posted:

I've been doing some editing of stories online and I'm noticing a trend of authors mixing in character action with their dialogue. Almost like reading a movie script in paragraph form.
That's typical, yeah. The examples you gave are overwrought with melodrama and insert description too much, but the practice itself is a good tool to have: http://www.writingexcuses.com/2013/08/04/writing-excuses-8-31-combining-dialogue-blocking-and-description/

Mr_Wolf posted:

Can i ask for some recommendations of short stories people like on here? I really need to start reading a lot more than i currently am and would appreciate some new material.
Check out "best of" anthologies in any topic that strikes your fancy. The mix of styles can prevent you from getting fatigued by a single author's voice, and it's helpful to be able to understand what you like or don't like about certain stories; plus it can lead you to more work you enjoy. There are also a lot of free, legal stories online if you search from them, everything from classics to recent publications like Clarkesworld. The most recent single author collection I really enjoyed is North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

FouRPlaY posted:

My instinct is has been to bring the action together and separate it from the dialogue, but I'm seeing it a lot - enough to make me wonder if I'm out of the loop.

Anyone got any insight? Is this a thing now? Or am I just encountering a lot of terrible writers?

I think it breaks up the monotony of "'[Dialogue],' [Character] said" over and over by throwing in some action that character is preforming to indicate who's speaking: "[Character] opened the door. '[Dialogue]'" (etc.)

Those examples are just bad writing.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

Crisco Kid posted:

That's typical, yeah. The examples you gave are overwrought with melodrama and insert description too much, but the practice itself is a good tool to have: http://www.writingexcuses.com/2013/08/04/writing-excuses-8-31-combining-dialogue-blocking-and-description/

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Jagermonster posted:

I think it breaks up the monotony of "'[Dialogue],' [Character] said" over and over by throwing in some action that character is preforming to indicate who's speaking: "[Character] opened the door. '[Dialogue]'" (etc.)

Those examples are just bad writing.

Action tags are a definite thing, but it's the continual switching from dialogue to action to dialogue to action all in one paragraph that weirds me out.

And yes, the examples are terrible, but they were handy.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
I'm reading Rum Punch at the minute and really like the way Leonard does exactly what you're describing. Even the first page has a paragraph that reads: 'Man, all the photographers, TV cameras. This poo poo is big news, has everybody over her to see it. otherwise, Sunday, what you have mostly are rich ladies come out with their little doggies to make wee-wee. I mean the doggies, not the ladies.' A girl in front of them smiled over her shoulder and Ordell said 'How you doing baby? You making it all right?' He looked past her now, glanced at Louis to say 'I think i see him' and pushed through the crowd to get closer to the street. 'Yeah, there he is.'

I love how you immediately get a sense of the characters. It feels pacy too, almost like you're right there in the crowd pushing through. I swear it makes me read a little bit faster with the flow of his words.

Also thanks for the recommendation regarding short stories. Although living in the North of England this government didn't seem to think keeping public libraries open an important thing.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Mr_Wolf posted:

Can i ask for some recommendations of short stories people like on here? I really need to start reading a lot more than i currently am and would appreciate some new material.
The O. Henry Prize Stories collections are an amazing value in terms of quality/amount of short stories and overall cost.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.randomhouse.com/anchor/ohenry/

And here's an Amazon link to one of the more recent collections: http://www.amazon.com/The-Henry-Prize-Stories-2012/dp/0307947882/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Jagermonster posted:

That business school analogy is horrible.

My analogies in this thread are a pile of cat poo poo. They are terrible but they also contain parasites.

elfdude
Jan 23, 2014

Mad Scientist
Hey ya'll looking for advice on trying to write a story where a character hates themselves. The problem is I'm having a hard time coming up with a way to describe this beyond, 'they hate themselves'. Does anyone have an idea of how to convey this to the reader in a less obvious way?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

elfdude posted:

Hey ya'll looking for advice on trying to write a story where a character hates themselves. The problem is I'm having a hard time coming up with a way to describe this beyond, 'they hate themselves'. Does anyone have an idea of how to convey this to the reader in a less obvious way?

He looks in a mirror then smashes it with his fist and starts crying helpless enraged tears.

E: or do it in the things and people that are described from his viewpoint. He always takes the worst and most pessimistic view of people's motivations, things are always flawed, etc.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 30, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sebmojo posted:

He looks in a mirror then smashes it with his fist and starts crying helpless enraged tears.

Joke, right?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Seems serious to me!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

elfdude posted:

I'd say that you shouldn't "convey" that the character hates him or herself. Simply keep that in mind when you write what that character does and if it is relevant then it will be self-evident. If you're going Deep POV, then you can make every thought of the character be highly self-critical of what they do.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

But really, you need to be asking yourself things like how someone who hates themselves behaves, how they talk, the sorts of things they do. If it's important to the character it'll show up in what they do. If it's critical to their personality it'll permeate their actions.

Self-defeating behaviours are pretty common in such circumstance, but there's a lot of ways you can go with it if you stay away from needing to narrate the fact of the hate.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

elfdude posted:

I have some experience with this. I wouldn't say I'm awesome at it, but I figure that if someone hates himself, he's either looking for redemption, is just kind of waiting God out, or he's self-destructive. Either way, this is the kind of thing that gets revealed through action: Is he going to jump a little too hard into opportunities to prove himself? Will he often make life harder for himself? Does he only put in the bare minimum of effort to get by? Maybe his feelings swing from one area of the spectrum to another depending on whatever?

Either way, as mentioned earlier, characterization is as simple as "What happens when your character faces an obstacle?" This is one of those things you don't bother to describe: if you do the job right it comes out in the wash.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

elfdude posted:

Read The Tommyknockers by Stephen King and take a long look at how King writes Jim Gardener. Or Jack Torrence in The Shining. Or (to a lesser extent) Larry Underwood in The Stand.

If self-loathing protagonists are your thing, King's the man to read.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

elfdude posted:

Hey ya'll looking for advice on trying to write a story where a character hates themselves.

In what way does said person hates himself? Is it a body image issue or a self-esteem problem, or maybe a feeling of helplessness of being trapped in a situation they don't feel they are strong enough to get out of? It may be that you can look into depression symptoms but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Also:

Mr. Belding posted:

I know most writers are hapless dipshits (which is why writing advice threads devolve into worthless whining).

Considering "most" of us are "hapless dipshits" who quite likely hate ourselves, I expect you are going to get a lot of help! :v:

elfdude
Jan 23, 2014

Mad Scientist
Awesome feedback yall. Thank you you've given me numerous ideas on how to further the story.

The reason I ask is the story is centered around a boy who hates himself but the main characters are those who perceive him. I.E. what's happening in the boy's mind is supposed to be largely a mystery and is only hinted at. Worse this is a fairly short story not really meant to be a novel which would give me much more room to build a deep characterization. In a way I'm looking for concise ways to indicate this without delving into a ton of description.

Self destructive behavior - this is a good idea, the difficulty is in conveying that sort of thing in an obvious way. Several ideas do come to mind however, for example said character could work hard to accomplish or create something then destroy it, said character could purposely hurt themselves bodily either physically or mentally and said character may distance themselves from meaningful interaction or anything which requires confidence, a sort of I'm not worthy perspective.

The point in this however is that the character has value as a character, he's not simply existing in a sort of perpetual apathetic behavior.

I suppose if I had to characterize how he hates himself I would say it'd be a sense of not valuing himself. It's the feeling of absolute hopelessness. The type of person who punishes themselves. Not suicidal. Not attention seeking. Although he may desire those vaguely he wouldn't act on them as attention seeking requires valuing himself at least more than others which he doesn't do and suicide would end his torment or hatred which while attractive is not his goal in the self-loathing state either.

Think of someone who has been told all their life that they're worthless. Someone who has repeatedly run into bad luck. Someone who has failed in several different ways. Someone who has been abused in a variety of ways and circumstances.

My goal is to paint a picture to the characters observing him that evolves to reveal his internal turmoil.

Anyways, great advice so far, if anything else strikes you as you're reading this then please do contribute!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I suggest posting an excerpt in The Fiction Farm so people can give you feedback on whether the self-hating works or not.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Cross posting from the Book Barn:

Last year there was an anthology showcasing the work of authors eligible for The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, an award given annually to the best new writer whose first professional work of science fiction or fantasy was published within the two previous calendar years.

This year there's another one, and it's huge: http://stupefyingstories.blogspot.com/2014/01/announcing-2014-campbellian-anthology.html
860,000 words of fiction from 111 newly published SFF authors, all free and available for download.

While it's too late to submit work for consideration in the 2014 award year, some of you may want to take a look the eligibility info and keep it in mind for the future.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If any of you are planning to vote I want to encourage you to check out Benjanun Sriduangkaew and Brooke Bolander. I'd also encourage you to look at me, but my first pub was December 29 2011 so I'm ineligible by three days. :(

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ouch. No hope of it having been the January issue of something?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Posted the first couple of my chapters here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606189

Please be gentle.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Shageletic posted:

Please be gentle.

Why? Would you rather be a good writer or a delusional bad one?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Lord God Baby Jesus.

I've refined and rewritten this passage so many times the thing feels like an overwritten entry in a jewelry catalog.
(I swear, 8-12 hours between today and yesterday, writing, rewriting, reading, rewriting)

The TELL version:
A creepy old guy in Georgia, in the fall, wearing (distinctive) old gloves just buried a woman, hears one of his traps go off, walks through his garden that he's been maintaining for 50 years to find a possum caught in the trap.

Is this enough SHOW? Is it overkill? How can I know when it's too much or not enough?

quote:

Marvin Hill was planting a rose over his latest victim when the trap clanked shut. The noise startled him and his wire-rimmed glasses slid down the veined ridge of his nose. He pushed the glasses up with a bony finger, and when he stood he winced as each knee popped.

The afternoon sun, fractured through drops of sweat trapped in his bushy eyebrows, almost blinded him. He wiped his brow with a glove so ancient that the rawhide fingertips were almost disintegrated.

"What is it now?"

Of course there was no response from the woman he'd just buried in the shallow grave, but he asked the question anyway.

"Don't go anywhere. I'll check the traps, and then I'll be back."

He used a shovel to knock the Georgia clay from his boots and then walked along the weaving pebble path through his garden.

The sweet smell of decaying flowers and vegetables hung in the air, and as he walked towards the trap he cleared dead leaves along the path.

When he bought the house in 1960, the backyard was freshly sodded like every other house in the subdivision. Today, the only grass he hadn't dug up was a small stretch between the porch and the gate to his carport.

He followed the path to the oldest section of his garden. Marvin located his trap between two rose bushes that covered a white criss-crossed lattice.

The trap was a wire mesh cage the size of a large shoe box with metal doors at either end.

A smile creased across his face and he said, "Well well, look at you."

In the cage, a possum cowered, baring a mouthful of tiny white teeth. He'd used his traps for years to keep the garden free of pests, but he'd never caught something as big as a possum before. It looked like a giant rat suffering from hair loss. It didn't have much room and couldn't turn around in the cage.

In fact, it was a wonder how the beast had wedged itself into the trap in the first place.

"Guess we'll go with the tail then, all right?"

He pulled his gloves tight, and his right index and middle finger poked through holes in the rawhide fingertips.

"You just relax and this'll all be over in a minute."

Marvin pulled open the trap door nearest the tail. The possum growled, its teeth still bared, and it began to back out of the trap. As soon as the fleshy pink tail was out, Marvin grabbed it and pulled.

The possum clawed at the cage and hissed but Marvin was already starting to stand up, lifting the tail as he rose. The cage came up with the possum, and Marvin waited a moment until the possum lost its grip, dropping cage.

He held the animal at arms' length, looking around for something to put it in. After a moment, he rolled his eyes when it dawned on him he should've just left it in the cage.

"I'm an Idiot."

This is supposed to be trashy airport horror fiction, not classic literature (popcorn, not steak). This passage reads (to me) like a bad knockoff of Jane Eyre or David Copperfield, (SOOOO much detail crammed into every sentence).

Help me. Please. I feel like I've tried every possible way to construct every sentence,
- he pushed the glasses back up his nose with a bony finger.
- His finger, long and bony, guided his glasses back up his nose.
- A bony finger pushed his glasses up his nose.
- After pushing the glasses back up with a claw-like finger, he blah blah.

Why am I sucking so horribly at providing enough detail?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

magnificent7 posted:

Lord God Baby Jesus.

I've refined and rewritten this passage so many times the thing feels like an overwritten entry in a jewelry catalog.
(I swear, 8-12 hours between today and yesterday, writing, rewriting, reading, rewriting)

The TELL version:
A creepy old guy in Georgia, in the fall, wearing (distinctive) old gloves just buried a woman, hears one of his traps go off, walks through his garden that he's been maintaining for 50 years to find a possum caught in the trap.

Is this enough SHOW? Is it overkill? How can I know when it's too much or not enough?

This is supposed to be trashy airport horror fiction, not classic literature (popcorn, not steak). This passage reads (to me) like a bad knockoff of Jane Eyre or David Copperfield, (SOOOO much detail crammed into every sentence).

Help me. Please. I feel like I've tried every possible way to construct every sentence,
- he pushed the glasses back up his nose with a bony finger.
- His finger, long and bony, guided his glasses back up his nose.
- A bony finger pushed his glasses up his nose.
- After pushing the glasses back up with a claw-like finger, he blah blah.

Why am I sucking so horribly at providing enough detail?

Eh, they're all fine. Don't obsess. And have more paras longer than one sentence, ffs.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sebmojo posted:

Eh, they're all fine. Don't obsess. And have more paras longer than one sentence, ffs.
Oh don't even get me started on my shallow paragraphs.

I don't know what it is. Every sentence is an island. I start squishing them together and chaos sets in.

Trust me, this one passage has some of the longest paragraphs I've ever written.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think you're confusing "showing" with description. They are of course related but they aren't the same thing.

Here are some of the things that your story "shows":

-The protagonist is an older man
-Like many older people he holds onto items like gloves until they are completely warn out
-He lives in what is probably the suburban part of a city or town
-He's comfortable in the outdoors, knows his way around traps and plants and wildlife
-He's been operating out of the same location for a while
-He likes to talk to himself or to inanimate objects and animals
-He's a killer and he apparently uses his garden to hide their bodies
-This isn't his first victim

The way that you've showed these things is through your descriptions, such as when you mention that he wears glasses, has bony fingers, and knees that pop when he stands up.

I think you're provided a fine amount of detail. We have a bit of a sense of this guys personality, the way he operates and the sort of environment he's in. Rather than worrying about whether your descriptions are good enough I think you should just push ahead with your story. Once you have a first draft you can start going back and trying to figure out how to make the descriptions themselves better but so far they aren't bad (though the shortness of the paragraphs is a little jarring and strange).

"Showing" of course contrasts with "telling". In your story an example of telling would be the first sentence, where you explicitly identify that he's planting a rose over "his latest victim". There's nothing wrong with this since it propels the narrative forward, but the point here is that "showing" isn't the same as description, showing is essentially what description is supposed to accomplish, in contrast to telling which is typically handled through raw exposition.

"Marvin Hill was planting a rose over his latest victim" = telling us this guy just murdered someone
"when he stood he winced as each knee popped" = showing us that he's old enough to have knee problems

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

Trust me, this one passage has some of the longest paragraphs I've ever written.

Uh....what? Well stop doing that what the gently caress

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

blue squares posted:

Uh....what? Well stop doing that what the gently caress
Yeah, what? Those are tiny, dude. Save your paragraph breaks for bigger and more important things. Check it out:

quote:

Marvin Hill was planting a rose over his latest victim when the trap clanked shut. The noise startled him and his wire-rimmed glasses slid down the veined ridge of his nose. He pushed the glasses up with a bony finger, and when he stood he winced as each knee popped. The afternoon sun, fractured through drops of sweat trapped in his bushy eyebrows, almost blinded him. He wiped his brow with a glove so ancient that the rawhide fingertips were almost disintegrated.

"What is it now?" he said. Of course there was no response from the woman he'd just buried in the shallow grave, but he asked the question anyway. "Don't go anywhere. I'll check the traps, and then I'll be back."

He used a shovel to knock the Georgia clay from his boots and then walked along the weaving pebble path through his garden. The sweet smell of decaying flowers and vegetables hung in the air, and as he walked towards the trap he cleared dead leaves along the path. When he bought the house in 1960, the backyard was freshly sodded like every other house in the subdivision. Today, the only grass he hadn't dug up was a small stretch between the porch and the gate to his carport. He followed the path to the oldest section of his garden. Marvin located his trap between two rose bushes that covered a white criss-crossed lattice. The trap was a wire mesh cage the size of a large shoe box with metal doors at either end. A smile creased across his face and he said, "Well well, look at you."

In the cage, a possum cowered, baring a mouthful of tiny white teeth. He'd used his traps for years to keep the garden free of pests, but he'd never caught something as big as a possum before. It looked like a giant rat suffering from hair loss. It didn't have much room and couldn't turn around in the cage. In fact, it was a wonder how the beast had wedged itself into the trap in the first place. "Guess we'll go with the tail then, all right?" he said.

He pulled his gloves tight, and his right index and middle finger poked through holes in the rawhide fingertips. "You just relax and this'll all be over in a minute," he said.

Marvin pulled open the trap door nearest the tail. The possum growled, its teeth still bared, and it began to back out of the trap. As soon as the fleshy pink tail was out, Marvin grabbed it and pulled. The possum clawed at the cage and hissed but Marvin was already starting to stand up, lifting the tail as he rose. The cage came up with the possum, and Marvin waited a moment until the possum lost its grip, dropping cage. He held the animal at arms' length, looking around for something to put it in. After a moment, he rolled his eyes when it dawned on him he should've just left it in the cage.

"I'm an idiot," he said.
+ some dialogue attributions. Said is a magical, invisible word that readers never notice unless it's pointed out to them. Don't be afraid of it.

See how much better it looks? If there's a single train of action/though, you want to string it together as a single paragraph.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's an awful lot of extraneous attribution you added to a scene with a single character, though. I wouldn't have been nearly so heavy-handed with it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's an awful lot of extraneous attribution you added to a scene with a single character, though. I wouldn't have been nearly so heavy-handed with it.
Yeah, maybe. That's just a sideshow to the "Mag7 stop writing 1-sentence paragraphs what the hell" circus and revue.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

crabrock posted:

Why? Would you rather be a good writer or a delusional bad one?

Just a joke. I come here for the brutal honesty. I don't think I'm an especially good writer or anything (as seen by my thread), but I'd like to think that I have the constitution to adapt and change depending on feedback. I'd really like to. So I really need honesty (rather than passing it around my friends and getting the responses I want). But that doesn't stop it from being brutal, even though its very much necessary.

The fact that my thread is still up is anxiety producing, especially since I'm doing a first page, from the first word, re-write. Not to mention embarrassing. I just want to wipe away what I wrote, and maybe later on put up the newest version of it.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"s/he said" is more or less invisible to the reader. Lots of unattributed dialogue will actually be more jarring.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Yeah, what? Those are tiny, dude. Save your paragraph breaks for bigger and more important things. Check it out:

+ some dialogue attributions. Said is a magical, invisible word that readers never notice unless it's pointed out to them. Don't be afraid of it.

See how much better it looks? If there's a single train of action/though, you want to string it together as a single paragraph.

I have to agree with this.

Sometimes it's cool to do dialogue back and forth with no attribution if it can work, but if it's ever unclear who is saying something the illusion is broken and it's the worst thing. Not saying you've done that, but I did just a few days ago.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Excellent work mr. Muffin. Thank you for doing that. (and thank you ALL for your suggestions and thoughts on it)

I'll compare your structure to mine - I really don't know why I'm so paragraph-averse, but I'll work on it.

But the dialog at the end of some paragraphs seem just odd to me, I don't know why.

quote:

In the cage, a possum cowered, baring a mouthful of tiny white teeth. He'd used his traps for years to keep the garden free of pests, but he'd never caught something as big as a possum before. It looked like a giant rat suffering from hair loss. It didn't have much room and couldn't turn around in the cage. In fact, it was a wonder how the beast had wedged itself into the trap in the first place. "Guess we'll go with the tail then, all right?" he said.

Like that - I thought dialog (and the person's movements/reactions during that dialog) typically got its own paragraph. Since the above paragraph starts out talking about the possum and goes on to talk about how the possum was jammed into the cage, I don't understand your reason for putting the dialog into the end of it. Not saying it's wrong, I'm trying to understand why it's right.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
It should be its own paragraph. I think the Suspicious Puffin made a rare error.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Martello posted:

It should be its own paragraph. I think the Suspicious Puffin made a rare error.
He did it in the paragraph above it as well, which made me wonder if there's more to it than that.

Also,

Helsing posted:

Once you have a first draft you can start going back and trying to figure out how to make the descriptions themselves better...
Thanks, yes. Sadly, the first draft was finished on 11/29/13 for nano. And it's been revised maybe twice since then, applying a lot of what I learned in Thunderdome about my writing, (doing more show don't tell and making the characters interesting to the reader)

This is a new stab at the first chapter in an effort to put more conflict and action into it. (Originally, it started out with Marvin killing the possum and his grand daughter showing up and they leave together.)

There's more to this chapter, but after I wrote the first draft this time, (events, pacing, descriptions, general dialog) I went back and started trying to craft each sentence more concisely; fewer prepositions, tighter descriptions, fewer adverbs, getting more inside the head of Marvin and trying to write less like a script. Out of 2400 words, this poo poo is as far as I got in that before posting it here asking for help. If I waste this much time agonizing over each little sentence, I'll never finish OR I'll lose the entire idea.

For example - there's one paragraph in there about what the yard was like when he bought it 50 years ago. That needs to be in there, but really, it could appear almost anywhere in the opening scene because it's not a part of the action. I swear, I removed the sentence, read this entire passage and tried to figure out the easiest place to put it to add to the story but not stop the action. Is there an easy answer to something like that? It's a tiny piece of world-building/exposition that matters, but I don't know if it's critical to the scene. So, just, set it aside for later in the chapter? Does it REALLY matter where it appears?

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 3, 2014

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

magnificent7 posted:

He did it in the paragraph above it as well, which made me wonder if there's more to it than that.

In that one it's a little more ambiguous. It's a paragraph that starts with the speaker's action so technically you could put the dialogue at the end. Personally, I wouldn't. I don't know if there's an actual grammar rule about it, but sometimes it's okay to fudge grammar in favor of flow and style.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

How do you guys plot out your stories? Plan everything out before you start, or just play it by ear?

I find the toughest part of writing is figuring out the story. once I've got that, the words just show up.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Malloreon posted:

How do you guys plot out your stories? Plan everything out before you start, or just play it by ear?

Every writer is different here, I think. Personally, I get best results from plotting things out at a scene-by-scene level, and then updating the plan every few days as (inevitably) everything changes. "No plan survives contact with the enemy", and all that. But I know people who don't plan anything at all, or who pin everything down to one plot sentence per hundred words of finished script, or who set up characters and conflicts and let them run, or... well, you get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I write short stories as they come, organically. I start longer pieces that way but I usually have to stop and outline the rest of the plot so it doesn't go on rabbit trails.

So, like Ghostwoods said, everyone does it differently. You just have to figure out what works. There's no magic formula for plotting.

• Locked thread