Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Who's going to buy them? Aren't they bigger than every other publisher save Microsoft or Sony?

Microsoft will sell Xbone off after milking it for a bit, then buy nintendo and break into the Japanese market with the MicroNintensoft 1080, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Midee posted:

Nowhere to go but up! :shepface:

Also can't stop lmbo at this:

Yeah god drat, if that's the same attitude the board has and it's not just that neogaf poster buying their spin 150%, well, uhhhhh.....

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 31, 2014

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
This is the perfect time to buy Nintendo stock. They aren't going anywhere in our lifetime and all of this doom and gloom is silly considering their position in the handheld market, their overall track record (when they hit success, it is always huge (ds, gameboy, nes, snes, wii), that they have survived similar situations multiple times, and that even if poo poo hits the fan, they can always go third party.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

da anime bulldog posted:

This is the perfect time to buy Nintendo stock. They aren't going anywhere in our lifetime and all of this doom and gloom is silly considering their position in the handheld market, their overall track record (when they hit success, it is always huge (ds, gameboy, nes, snes, wii), that they have survived similar situations multiple times, and that even if poo poo hits the fan, they can always go third party.

What makes you think their stock is going to go back up? Right now it keeps dropping and is almost at its lowest point in its history.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

da anime bulldog posted:

They've survived a similar situation exactly once. And by 'survive' I mean 'by a literal miracle stave off disaster for about 6 years without actually correcting, or even recognizing, any of the underlying problems'. The handheld market is shrinking, they don't seem to be willing to drop consoles, and they're now apparently going to be investing massive resources in the health and fitness device market which is stuffed with heavy competition by people who actually know what the gently caress they're doing.

I mean it's not guaranteed that they're going to implode but it's looking increasingly likely pretty much by the day. If you have money to burn then that's up to you but recommending someone invest in them now is just :laffo:

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

da anime bulldog posted:

I throughly agree it is a good time to buy Nintendo stock. I suggest everyone does this then hands over the stock to me and I will sell it outright with the promise of buying you back an equal amount of shares within 2 years time, PLUS a percentage fee on every share sold. That way you get your 'gains' from the stock a long with a little extra. You can't lose.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I said come in! posted:

What makes you think their stock is going to go back up? Right now it keeps dropping and is almost at its lowest point in its history.

It will probably go up slightly just from the amount of zealous Nintendo fans each buying a small bit of it consecutively.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm imagining an alternate future where all of the fans own Nintendo, like the Green Bay Packers.

The Year of Tingle

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
To be fair Nintendo's stock is getting such a beating that you would probably stand to make some money if you bought it now and they even had just a single mediocre quarter. Everyone's expecting Nintendo to do incredibly poorly over the medium term (and it probably will) but if it even does only sort of poorly it'll probably jump up a bit.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

I'm just as disappointed in Nintendo as anyone else here (their "plan" makes no sense and shows that they are STILL out of touch with what is wrong with their system), however, what makes people think the market for serious handheld gaming systems is dying? Because of lovely mobile games? I feel as if they'll always be a market for an actual handheld gaming system though it may shrink as parents keep buying their children tablets.

Also this is one situation where the fans would legitimately have a better direction to go with the system than the actual brass.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When does Nintendo's next big AAA game come out?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The handheld market is shrinking, not dying. It will always be around but by the end of this generation hardware sales are going to be down more than 100 million from the last one.

I said come in! posted:

Does DK count? If not then Mario Kart in May.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Nintendo's handhelds have done progressively worse since the GBA haven't they?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

The DS was absolutely gigantic. It's a very close second on the best selling video game system of all time list.

The 3DS is selling worse than the GBA and significantly worse than the DS, though.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

A cool drat horse posted:

I'm just as disappointed in Nintendo as anyone else here (their "plan" makes no sense and shows that they are STILL out of touch with what is wrong with their system), however, what makes people think the market for serious handheld gaming systems is dying? Because of lovely mobile games? I feel as if they'll always be a market for an actual handheld gaming system though it may shrink as parents keep buying their children tablets.

Also this is one situation where the fans would legitimately have a better direction to go with the system than the actual brass.
It's not that anybody thinks the handheld market will go away. It's that the 3DS is selling worse than Nintendo expects (likely partly due to mobile gaming), and even though missing sales targets still means 13.5M for the year, that isn't good enough to prop up Nintendo, especially with the Wii U. The handheld market is shrinking though it definitely won't go away, and if Nintendo is forced to rely on that handheld market, then they'll have to be a considerably smaller company than they are now.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

DS was bigger than GBA. 3DS is smaller than both DS and GBA.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Perhaps Nintendo should release something handheld size with a storage/controller/hdmi dock and unify their platforms/VC/online. Swap games out for when you're on the move. That's what I'd do if I was Nintendo, but I don't know what I'm talking about.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

waffle posted:

It's not that anybody thinks the handheld market will go away. It's that the 3DS is selling worse than Nintendo expects (likely partly due to mobile gaming), and even though missing sales targets still means 13.5M for the year, that isn't good enough to prop up Nintendo, especially with the Wii U. The handheld market is shrinking though it definitely won't go away, and if Nintendo is forced to rely on that handheld market, then they'll have to be a considerably smaller company than they are now.

I'm not sure how big a problem that would be, though. I would imagine with the WiiU being HD and all, more than half of their company resources are dedicated to it anyhow.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I'm not sure how big a problem that would be, though. I would imagine with the WiiU being HD and all, more than half of their company resources are dedicated to it anyhow.
Well, it would be really different from now is all and would lead to them overall making fewer games. I do think that's the most likely path they'll take, though--a handheld system with mostly Nintendo exclusives and hopefully a decent back-catalog of Nintendo games.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I said come in! posted:

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: 21 February for the West (13 February for Japan)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: 21 February for the West (13 February for Japan)

Okay, this game looks really cool. I love Donkey Kong Country anyways. The SNES games were all really really excellent.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

A cool drat horse posted:

There'll always be a market for good games playable on the go, but it may not be a market that sustains dedicated portables on the Nintendo model, and nothing about Nintendo suggests they are able to easily change their model. And even if it does, it may be a smaller market, leaving Nintendo painfully smaller since they are also losing their handhold in home consoles.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really don't want to see games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing go away. I think those titles could be very successful on other mobile devices.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Why Nintendo refuses to develop Pokemon MMO exclusively for Wii U is beyond me. It would sell as many as they could make.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

zenintrude posted:

Why Nintendo refuses to develop Pokemon MMO exclusively for Wii U is beyond me. It would sell as many as they could make.

- It would be horrifically expensive to do right
- It would take forever and a day to make
- Online functionality is hard
- It wouldn't sell nearly as well as a lot of people seem to think, especially on a home console
- MMOs have been dying for a while now. People are kinda sick of 'em

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Pokémon series introduced plenty of online functionality starting with the DS games, so I don't see what would be improved by making it an MMO.

Besides, you'd think a Dragon Quest MMO would be a surefire hit in Japan, but even on the Wii and Wii U it didn't really do that well. That mobile version of Dragon Quest Monsters on the other hand...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zenintrude posted:

Name two MMOs made after World of Warcraft that would support this claim.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pokemon already sells like gangbusters as-is, and most certainly offers a more efficient ROI than the extremely risky and upkeep-heavy MMO business model.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Name two MMOs made after World of Warcraft that would support this claim.

All those poo poo phone games that make fuckloads of cash, like Clash of Clans, they aren't MMO's in the sense that you have a dude you control running around, but they are in the sense that you're sharing a persisted world and people throw money at it like like their lives depend on it. You could certainly do a Pokemon like that (set up your own gyms, pokemon breeding and poo poo, etc etc).

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The handheld markets in the US and Japan are diverging pretty quickly. Handheld sales in Japan are still up, and from what I've been told apparantly smartphones aren't really a big thing there, they still use flip phones, so mobile gaming is almost entirely on handhelds, although that might be changing slowly. In the US meanwhile smartphones are eating the 3DS' lunch.

Because of this I think the chances of them doing actual mobile games is essentially zero, the market for them in Japan is not big enough to realistically threaten the 3DS, so it would be for the benefit of the US and Europe alone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemming posted:

All those poo poo phone games that make fuckloads of cash, like Clash of Clans, they aren't MMO's in the sense that you have a dude you control running around, but they are in the sense that you're sharing a persisted world and people throw money at it like like their lives depend on it. You could certainly do a Pokemon like that (set up your own gyms, pokemon breeding and poo poo, etc etc).

Pokemon already allows most of that in the game itself, aside from the "set up your own gym" part which wouldn't be meaningful different from just battling a guy without the badges part.

icantfindaname posted:

The handheld markets in the US and Japan are diverging pretty quickly. Handheld sales in Japan are still up, and from what I've been told apparantly smartphones aren't really a big thing there, they still use flip phones, so mobile gaming is almost entirely on handhelds, although that might be changing slowly. In the US meanwhile smartphones are eating the 3DS' lunch.

You've heard entirely wrong. Japan is going to smartphone gaming really really hard. That is why companies like S-E and Capcom are pushing for smartphone games.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't get how a Pokemon MMO is significantly different to the current game, except for making the P2P elements more direct by letting you see other people. It would just be pokemon with a ton of random people walking back and forth in every grass patch, and a big schism between people with maxed-out perfect-stat teams and casual people who historically just had fun beating the E4 alone.

You can already catch a shitload of Pokemon across the world in the existing games, including those that require trades, certain times of day or seasons, etc. An MMO just adds an ugly layer of humanity over the top where you have spammers clogging up chat and you probably couldn't catch a Zapdos without 4,000 playtime hours and 400 Pikachu tails.

Story events where you had to do a triple battle with two strangers to catch a legendary or something could be neat though. But the archetypical battle system is already there and very well covered in the normal games without MMO trappings over the top.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You wouldn't even need a full blown MMO, but a natural progression of the 3DS Pokemon online features could be to have lobbies like the friend safari where multiple players can just catch Pokemon or trade/battle anyone else in that particular lobby without needing friend codes and junk like that.

It makes sense in my head.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pokemon doesn't need to be an MMO, just make it a game for mobile devices with microtransactions. There are terrible microtransaction games on mobiles that are making tens of millions of dollars a day. The ones doing this too are similar to Pokemon, they are just low budget games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

You wouldn't even need a full blown MMO, but a natural progression of the 3DS Pokemon online features could be to have lobbies like the friend safari where multiple players can just catch Pokemon or trade/battle anyone else in that particular lobby without needing friend codes and junk like that.

It makes sense in my head.

You can already do that in X/Y. You can literally just battle random people while connected to the internet and even friend them afterwards.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You've heard entirely wrong. Japan is going to smartphone gaming really really hard. That is why companies like S-E and Capcom are pushing for smartphone games.

Hrm, in that case they might actually do it. That's interesting. I guess they're even more screwed than I thought.

vvvvvvv
It's smartphones eating their market.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Crowbear posted:

The 3DS is selling worse than the GBA and significantly worse than the DS, though.

Wow really? That sucks. The 3DS is Nintendo's finest piece of hardware to date and they can't even sell the thing... WTF?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

icantfindaname posted:

Because of this I think the chances of them doing actual mobile games is essentially zero, the market for them in Japan is not big enough to realistically threaten the 3DS, so it would be for the benefit of the US and Europe alone.

Smartphone gaming is booming super quickly in Japan. It's already fairly big there (Smartphone game revenue passed flip phones a couple of years ago) but they expect like 70% of people to have smartphones in a few years or something like that. I don't remember the exact numbers.

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Wow really? That sucks. The 3DS is Nintendo's finest piece of hardware to date and they can't even sell the thing... WTF?

They're selling it just fine. The GBA and DS were both crazy popular though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Smartphones, bro... smartphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Pokemon doesn't need to be an MMO, just make it a game for mobile devices with microtransactions. There are terrible microtransaction games on mobiles that are making tens of millions of dollars a day. The ones doing this too are similar to Pokemon, they are just low budget games.

You can't just "make it Microtransaction." you have to redesign the entire game around it and that would involve removing a lot of features. You drat well couldn't have unlimited easy Pokemon breeding and infinite trading in a game where you wanted to sell things to the player after the fact.

• Locked thread