Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Crossposting from the A/T Airline Ground Operations thread before I actually go through with it. I'm still fairly new to frequent travel and gaming the rewards programs in general.

canoshiz posted:

So... Frequent flyer reward credit cards, worth it? I was thinking about getting one of the United MileagePlus cards for the bonus miles and lounge access. I do lots of international business travel (maybe a round trip from the states to Asia every two weeks) and can expense big ugly hotel bills on it for fat mileage bonuses. Just wondering if it's generally worth the $400 annual fee. If this isn't really in the scope of this thread, feel free to ignore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

oxsnard posted:

ATL mess delayed my flight out of Tulsa. Can't get back to Denver now because of the 10-15 inches we'll be getting overnight. Flight out tomorrow morning was canceled and I'm rebooked for the afternoon. God willing I'll make it home then. DIA will be humming again with a few hours of cleanup bit it looks like Atlanta has hosed flights across the Nation.

You're not kidding. I was flying back from Vegas to SLC and the 8AM flight was delayed an hour and a half. Turned out one of the flight attendants originally scheduled for that flight went over on hours and they were scrambling to find a replacement. Apparently she (and presumably quite a few others) due to the shuffling having to happen as a result of ATL. A ton of people were pissed but I got lucky and was able to get on that flight, saving me a few hours at the airport.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

One particularly good FF reward card right now is AA's World Elite Mastercard. Nonwaivable $450 annual fee, but perks include Admiral's Club access, no foreign transaction fees, and the big one: 100k miles after $10k spend in 3 months.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

air- posted:

100k miles after $10k spend in 3 months.

Uggghhhhh. I had vowed to quit and then this happens. (Thanks!)

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

sellouts posted:

Sure what's your question about it?

Platinum is great but depending on your routes upgrades may range from likely to impossible. With credit cards now giving a free bag and early boarding in most cases the biggest benefit is 2x RDM if you care about that sort of thing.

How does the challenge specifically work? If I'm doing two transcontinental trips in the next three months am I basically a lock for it?

e: Also usually I do united, and have some miles there -- I gather the challenge is unique to american?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

semicolonsrock posted:

How does the challenge specifically work? If I'm doing two transcontinental trips in the next three months am I basically a lock for it?

e: Also usually I do united, and have some miles there -- I gather the challenge is unique to american?
Be aware that challenges on American are usually based on points, which is the number of miles flown multiplied by .5, 1.0, or 1.5 depending on fare class.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep. So your flights had better be in a good fare class!

All the details: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Fare class distinctions are part of why I went with Delta for my loyalty program, since the only impact fare class has on your miles earned is extra miles for the most expensive fares. Work requires me to buy the cheapest ticket available and if I went in asking for an "M" fare when an "S" fare was available I'd just get laughed at. For me the fare class is largely transparent, so it feels like an arbitrary punishment to earn fewer miles just because I was sold a ticket in a lower fare class. If the airline doesn't want me to buy cheap tickets they shouldn't make them available.

Of course, Delta does use fare class for same day confirmed schedule changes, which is complete bullshit. But that's another story.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I personally find the whole fare class system useless as a passenger, and needlessly complex. About the only distinctions I make are:
- How nice is my seat?
- Can I refund with or without a penalty?

Beyond that I have no idea if a Y fare is better or worse than an N fare, or whatever.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

I personally find the whole fare class system useless as a passenger, and needlessly complex. About the only distinctions I make are:
- How nice is my seat?
- Can I refund with or without a penalty?

Beyond that I have no idea if a Y fare is better or worse than an N fare, or whatever.

This is why the fare class system works so well. 98% of people don't know the difference or care about them. They buy a seat, and get a seat. The fare class system was basically setup to prevent the people in this thread (myself included) from gaming the system. That is why so many bonuses, challenges, upgrades, etc are dependent on them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

My problem, though, is that I don't always know what I'm getting, short of reading a multi-page contract every time I book. "Oh, I'm sorry. This fare class was only refundable if you were changing to a different flight going to the same destination. Since you're adding an intermediary leg, you have to pay a bajillion dollar change fee on addition to the fare difference."

Either give me a simple menu, or provide an actual description of what I'm getting.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thoguh posted:

Fare class distinctions are part of why I went with Delta for my loyalty program, since the only impact fare class has on your miles earned is extra miles for the most expensive fares.
AA does not give you fewer or extra miles for certain fare buckets. For most people, the points (fare) system is just an alternative elite qualification system that you can ignore.

That said, Delta factors in fare classes when determining who gets an upgrade. AA does not (except that Y/B gets priority).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

AA does not give you fewer or extra miles for certain fare buckets. For most people, the points (fare) system is just an alternative elite qualification system that you can ignore.

Yep. It's a way to fast track paying Y/J/F passengers to status. That's all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I spent last year traveling what felt like 340 days. Realistically, it was somewhere between 280-320, but getting "home" on Friday just before midnight only to fly out Sunday hardly counts. I loved it. Now, I'm in a much more stable situation and it's also great. Since I'd been missing the road, I'm back on it for a quick month taking care of business (everyday!). I'm getting some weird conflicting guilt feelings. It wasn't supposed to be a mammoth trip, but some shipping delays and a meeting kinda shuffled things around so I'm not dipping my toes in, I'm back in a big way. It was supposed to be four travel heavy weeks with some stops back home with the wifey and my kittens. Now it's just all road. Part of me is loving it but part of me doesn't find "Home Sweet Hilton" the same anymore.

Any advice for these sorts of feelings? I never had them before, one place was as good as another.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thoguh posted:

Flyertalk is the worst because it is generally a bunch of smug rich people bragging to each other and their moderation policy of only being allowed to say nice things turns it into a self reinforcing circle jerk most of the time. It is a great place to find out info but I always feel like most of the posters there need to get punched in the face more often. I stop in to read it every once in a while but I very rarely post there because of how ridiculous the threads are.

I've been on FT for years and this is generally the reason I use MilePoint now. I will say that it greatly depends on the forum/thread that you're dealing with as some of them are great (like the Alaska Air forum) and some of them are horrid dogshit (AA, UA, and to some degree WN forums). There is still no better place on the Internet to find details about SPG hotels than FT, though.

taco show posted:

I'm on FT only because many members are super spergy so they have awesome, intricate spreadsheets and good tips and discount codes once you wade through the BS. I once, out of curiosity, went to a meetup and the members are just as insufferable in real life.

I put on an event once a year for frequent travelers and, thankfully, the douche quotient is very low. I have been to other events where that is an issue, and holy poo poo the drama of trying to get people to pay their fair share of a check. If you want to give it another try, come party with us next year. :)

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 4, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

That said, Delta factors in fare classes when determining who gets an upgrade. AA does not (except that Y/B gets priority).

Indeed. Generally speaking, if upgrades are your primary concern, AA is a great program (for now). If you really like the ability to change your flight within 24 hours and use miles on Star Alliance carriers (though that just got a fuckload more expensive in premium cabins), United is the place to be. If you want to get there, pretty much on time, and don't care about the rest of it, Delta looks awfully nice these days.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Shbobdb posted:

I spent last year traveling what felt like 340 days. Realistically, it was somewhere between 280-320, but getting "home" on Friday just before midnight only to fly out Sunday hardly counts. I loved it. Now, I'm in a much more stable situation and it's also great. Since I'd been missing the road, I'm back on it for a quick month taking care of business (everyday!). I'm getting some weird conflicting guilt feelings. It wasn't supposed to be a mammoth trip, but some shipping delays and a meeting kinda shuffled things around so I'm not dipping my toes in, I'm back in a big way. It was supposed to be four travel heavy weeks with some stops back home with the wifey and my kittens. Now it's just all road. Part of me is loving it but part of me doesn't find "Home Sweet Hilton" the same anymore.

Any advice for these sorts of feelings? I never had them before, one place was as good as another.

I get this all the time. I used to do a TON of miles, and now I do half, (but still > 100k) and I really miss it. Oddly enough, I will not travel for a few weeks over Christmas and the night before going again, I absolutely dread it. I wish I had some good advice, but getting back on to the road again, and ideally having an upgrade clear makes things a lot better.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm stuck at SJC for four more hours so I bought the day pass to the ANA lounge. It's pretty nice- quiet, not crowded, hot food, decent booze selection- totally worth the $35

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've flown quite a bit, especially over the last year, but almost exclusively for private trips, and always on the cheapest tickets available (within reason.) I got into the frequent flyer program a bit late, so I don't have that many miles/points.

Now, I'm curious about lounges. I have a nine hour layover in Doha in a couple of months, and I really, really wouldn't mind a shower and a quiet place to chill/use the WiFi for a bit. Are these options available to us plebs? For a fee, of course, I'd be willing to shell out a bit for the privilege. Can you pay in miles? How much would it be, then? It doesn't have to be ultra-super-duper-luxurious-one-masseuse-per-foot kinda places, just someplace quiet and nice with some WiFi and maybe a few refreshments + ideally a shower.

Edit: Ah, hmm. A little googling + actually reading the post above me yields that a six hour stay can be had for £25 if prebooked.

bolind fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 10, 2014

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

bolind posted:

I've flown quite a bit, especially over the last year, but almost exclusively for private trips, and always on the cheapest tickets available (within reason.) I got into the frequent flyer program a bit late, so I don't have that many miles/points.

Now, I'm curious about lounges. I have a nine hour layover in Doha in a couple of months, and I really, really wouldn't mind a shower and a quiet place to chill/use the WiFi for a bit. Are these options available to us plebs? For a fee, of course, I'd be willing to shell out a bit for the privilege. Can you pay in miles? How much would it be, then? It doesn't have to be ultra-super-duper-luxurious-one-masseuse-per-foot kinda places, just someplace quiet and nice with some WiFi and maybe a few refreshments + ideally a shower.

Edit: Ah, hmm. A little googling + actually reading the post above me yields that a six hour stay can be had for £25 if prebooked.

You can pay for lounges with the exception of Intl' First Class Lounges, which are for, well, Intl' First Class Passengers only and VIP status types. Most run about $50 USD, and I haven't seen an option to pay with miles. For a 9 hour layover that would be well worth the price, and it looks like Qatar Airways has quite a few in Doha.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Not sure about that airport, but most lounges don't have showers available. However, some airports have hotels on site (though outside security) which charge a reasonable hourly rate. Hyderabad's is great for a quick shower or nap.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bolind posted:

Just as an FYI, Most programs have a form where you can, within a year or so, retroactively claim your miles, so long as you can dig up your ticket info.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Not sure about that airport, but most lounges don't have showers available. However, some airports have hotels on site (though outside security) which charge a reasonable hourly rate. Hyderabad's is great for a quick shower or nap.

Some airports that cater to transit passengers have standalone showers. Like Dubai, it's just like the bathrooms, but a free shower room. And Hong Kong has a "shower and relaxation lounge" which was a few bucks and just gets you a shower.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Wow, I never knew that. Most of my travel is domestic US carriers, but I'll keep this in mind.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ynglaur posted:

Wow, I never knew that. Most of my travel is domestic US carriers, but I'll keep this in mind.
I can't speak to the other carriers, but American has showers in the lounges from which they operate long-haul International flights.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

I can't speak to the other carriers, but American has showers in the lounges from which they operate long-haul International flights.

They have showers in a majority of the lounges except older and smaller airports.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Yeah, Delta is the same. I've showered in the main Detroit and Atlanta Skyclubs after long red-eyes.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm ashamed to call myself a frequent traveller at this point. :cripes:

At least I have the meager excuse of always flying out of a regional that's not a hub for anybody, but still...

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ynglaur posted:

At least I have the meager excuse of always flying out of a regional that's not a hub for anybody, but still...

Heh, it happens. Showers are harder to come by in the US for sure; only the sCO United Clubs have them at IAH and EWR, and some AA and DL clubs as noted above, but that's about it. It makes the Senator Lounge at IAD quite the paradise.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Prebooked a six hour stay at the Oryx Lounge in DOH. £25. It seemed to be the only lounge available for monkey class passengers. There's a little unresolved issue about whether I'll arrive/depart from the same terminal and how much hassle that'll add to the project, but we'll see. I'll report back about how it went (in a couple of months' time.)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Hey at least you fly planes. I just ride in regional buses all the time to different factories :cripes:

bolind posted:

Prebooked a six hour stay at the Oryx Lounge in DOH. £25. It seemed to be the only lounge available for monkey class passengers. There's a little unresolved issue about whether I'll arrive/depart from the same terminal and how much hassle that'll add to the project, but we'll see. I'll report back about how it went (in a couple of months' time.)

I guess if you are tired or don't like moving yeah then lounges are cool. But isn't 6 hours enough to take a shuttle to downtown, have a nice meal at a restaurant/cafe, and then get back to the airport? From what I remember, DOH to downtown is not far.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

caberham posted:

I guess if you are tired or don't like moving yeah then lounges are cool. But isn't 6 hours enough to take a shuttle to downtown, have a nice meal at a restaurant/cafe, and then get back to the airport? From what I remember, DOH to downtown is not far.

First, I arrive when it's bedtime in my head (and also in DOH), so something resembling a night's sleep would be nice. Additionally, I'm just transiting through, so I'd rather not deal with visa/immigrations etc. (I hear it's a royal bureaucratic pain in the rear end in Dubai, for instance.)

I just learned that the new Doha airport is scheduled to start operating around the time of my flight, so curious where I'll land and what'll happen. Oh well, we'll see.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

First, I arrive when it's bedtime in my head (and also in DOH), so something resembling a night's sleep would be nice. Additionally, I'm just transiting through, so I'd rather not deal with visa/immigrations etc. (I hear it's a royal bureaucratic pain in the rear end in Dubai, for instance.)

Wait, what? UAE is really welcoming for tourists. Americans can just go in and go out. I think American airports/visa are leaps and bounds more annoying than other places in the world.

Anyways, It's going to be a nice lounge.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just found this thread again. I hit DM on Delta last year in like eight months or something, but this year my schedule/responsibilities have changed a bit so I have no idea where I end up. The new system-wide upgrade system for Delta is a hell of a lot better than the old SWUs which had the worst fare class restrictions on earth.

Does anyone know anything about AA's status match program if any? Considering making the jump.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just found this thread again. I hit DM on Delta last year in like eight months or something, but this year my schedule/responsibilities have changed a bit so I have no idea where I end up. The new system-wide upgrade system for Delta is a hell of a lot better than the old SWUs which had the worst fare class restrictions on earth.

Does anyone know anything about AA's status match program if any? Considering making the jump.

Call up their customer service, you have a great shot as a DM. They were being very aggressive in going after 1Ks on United last year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Belldandy posted:

Call up their customer service, you have a great shot as a DM. They were being very aggressive in going after 1Ks on United last year.

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I've heard that they only match to Platinum, not EXP, which would probably be a deal-breaker for me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bolind posted:

. (I hear it's a royal bureaucratic pain in the rear end in Dubai

I was there 5 weeks ago, this couldn't be more incorrect. With or without express immigration it took 5 minutes. Exiting took even less. The worst part was the women's taxi (not misogynistic, just the worst taxi experience I've ever had by a mile. She couldn't find the burj khalifa, it's the tallest thing in the desert. )

Also if it's bedtime in your head is it the best idea to sleep? Won't that prolong your jet lag?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I've heard that they only match to Platinum, not EXP, which would probably be a deal-breaker for me.

The EXP match is all but impossible. There were some reports of them doing it last year for the first time but I'm not sure of the requirements. It's maybe worth a call. If you've got paid J or F I would make sure to mention that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

I was there 5 weeks ago, this couldn't be more incorrect. With or without express immigration it took 5 minutes. Exiting took even less. The worst part was the women's taxi (not misogynistic, just the worst taxi experience I've ever had by a mile. She couldn't find the burj khalifa, it's the tallest thing in the desert. )

Also if it's bedtime in your head is it the best idea to sleep? Won't that prolong your jet lag?

The EXP match is all but impossible. There were some reports of them doing it last year for the first time but I'm not sure of the requirements. It's maybe worth a call. If you've got paid J or F I would make sure to mention that.

I feel like if I hit DM in 8 months EXP shouldn't be too hard, yes? EXP is 100K flown miles, DM is 125K. Am I missing something?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

My understanding is that they did them specifically for UA 1K and even then only in certain markets. I agree that the likelihood is pretty remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
I am not a frequent traveller by any stretch of the imagination, but I do enjoy travel and I've been thinking.

In January I had to travel from the UK to France, and since I booked quite late it was actually cheaper to fly via Amsterdam than go direct. I've been a member of Flying Blue for 3 years now, but never clocked up more than 4 flights a year. So here I am in January, with 4 sectors, and knowing that I need to visit France at least 2 more times this year, with another few international flights possible. I've worked out that if I spend a little bit more to fly via Amsterdam I essentially double my miles and add more sectors to my yearly count.

Considering Flying Blue's Silver tier is only 15 sectors a year, I reckon I have a good shot of hitting it. A far cry from anything anyone else in this thread has been doing but hey, it's a start! So my question: is Flying Blue Silver actually worth anything or is it more a case of "Gold or go home"?