Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caiman posted:

Why the hell hasn't Berbarian Sound Studio been released on blu-ray in the US?

Obama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

I completely forgot TVs like that exist. I'm blown away that TVs can even do that - just take... whatever, and make it 3D. How does it know how to get the depth-of-field right, or what to make "the background" and what's "the foreground" on the fly? That's some seriously science-fiction poo poo right there.

Then again I have trouble convincing myself we don't live in "the future" sometimes. Go ahead, say the words "It is the year 2014" out loud and see if it feels like you just said the opening lines to some sci-fi movie.

My cousin has a 60" version of one of these TVs. He thinks its the bees knees but whenever he shows it off to me it makes me nauseous and want to fall over. its loving awful.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wish I hadn't pre-ordered and got my copy a week ago :(

Yeah, that's some bullshit. If I contact Amazon do you think they'll refund us or give us a ticket or whatever?

milkfat
May 6, 2003
Moo.

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, that's some bullshit. If I contact Amazon do you think they'll refund us or give us a ticket or whatever?

I have come to find that Amazon will do almost anything to make a customer happy. It is just easier for them to agree with you then to waste time and money trying to argue. I would give it a try if I were you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xenomrph posted:

I emailed Amazon's customer service about it because Harlock said that worked. They ended up getting back to me within the hour and said they'd send me a promotional email by the 2nd, and if I didn't receive one by then, to email them again about it.

I'm not sure if they're going to email me a PDF of the coupon that I can print out or what the deal with that is, but it's cool they're going to send me something.

I was gonna post about that in this thread earlier but I haven't actually received that promotional email yet so I was gonna wait until I had all the details to do so.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

caiman posted:

No idea but it is on netflix streaming.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I emailed Amazon's customer service about it because Harlock said that worked. They ended up getting back to me within the hour and said they'd send me a promotional email by the 2nd, and if I didn't receive one by then, to email them again about it.

I'm not sure if they're going to email me a PDF of the coupon that I can print out or what the deal with that is, but it's cool they're going to send me something.

I was gonna post about that in this thread earlier but I haven't actually received that promotional email yet so I was gonna wait until I had all the details to do so.

I also emailed Amazon customer service after reading about Harlock's experience, and they told me they could not honor the promotion for me, but said I could reorder/return my current bluray in order to qualify, and then also gave me a $5 credit. I'm kind of annoyed by this but also don't think it's really worth the effort of returning just to get another $2.50. I guess if I want to see the new Robocop I'll just have to setting for the $5 matinee.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's weird that you both had wildly different experiences. When I first emailed about it, they weren't even aware of the promotion. All I did was email them the T&C of it and asked if I qualified, and they just refunded me no question.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

caiman posted:

It worries me when that happens, as it sometimes points to studios buying the remake rights and holding back the original so as few people see it as possible.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Lawrence Of Arabia - $7

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Y1YK0I?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B008Y1YK0I&adid=131EJJDFXF4WJDS27ZCZ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

No regrets about buying it for a lot more. This is one of those movies where I'll sit 4 feet from the TV.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

If you don't own this loving buy it. It's one of the most gorgeous transfers I've ever seen on blu-ray, for an absolutely incredible movie. I bought this at full price and could not even begin to regret it. $7 is a steal.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Son of a bitch, looks like I missed out on Lawrence of Arabia. It's up to $18 on Amazon now. :(

Harlock posted:

That's weird that you both had wildly different experiences. When I first emailed about it, they weren't even aware of the promotion. All I did was email them the T&C of it and asked if I qualified, and they just refunded me no question.
Where can one find the terms and conditions? This seems like a pretty solid route, I figure I'll get my ducks in a row before shooting Amazon an email. Thanks!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 31, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Buy it anyways

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's sold out on Amazon and it's now available for that price through another seller. I imagine the price will be the same when they get more stock in. Amazon UK is selling it for £7 too so it must be a global change. I bought the US one as it's £1 more for nicer looking packaging and I'm in no rush to get it, cheers for the heads up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Xenomrph posted:

Son of a bitch, looks like I missed out on Lawrence of Arabia. It's up to $18 on Amazon now. :(

Where can one find the terms and conditions? This seems like a pretty solid route, I figure I'll get my ducks in a row before shooting Amazon an email. Thanks!
On the Robocop page, under promotions it says this:

Special Offers and Product Promotions
The RoboCop $7.50 Movie Ticket Offer Here's how (restrictions apply)

Click on 'here's how'

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon still has the collector's set for $59, which is a great price:
http://www.amazon.com/Lawrence-Anni...0th+anniversary

While it's as big as a laserdisc box, the discs come in a regular plastic case. And you get an actual 70mm film frame.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Godfather collection is $17 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_341930_112237380_pe_stripe_1/

It's the Coppola Restoration and I don't know what that is. Is there anything I should know about it?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Godfather collection is $17 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_341930_112237380_pe_stripe_1/

It's the Coppola Restoration and I don't know what that is. Is there anything I should know about it?

Back in 2006, the first two films were restored and the third remastered in 4K. All with Coppola and Gordon Willis involved. They're pretty much flawless. Even the sound was restored - original mono and new 5.1 tracks from the stems.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Back in 2006, the first two films were restored and the third remastered in 4K. All with Coppola and Gordon Willis involved. They're pretty much flawless. Even the sound was restored - original mono and new 5.1 tracks from the stems.

Yeah, they look amazing considering the source (nearly destroyed negative for Godfather 1) and going from the old DVDs to the new Blu-Rays is a big jump.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Masters of Cinema upcoming releases for Q2:

Nashville (1975, Robert Altman)
Too Late Blues (1961, John Cassevetes)
If.... (1968, Lindsay Anderson)
Harold and Maude (1971, Hal Ashby)
Ace in the Hole (1951, Billy Wilder)
Boomerang! (1947, Elia Kazan)

Criterion already has most of these out in Region A except for Boomerang! (Fox had a DVD) and Too Late Blues (Olive Films released it last year).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

One major change: the first movie was sort of neutral before but now everything's very warm

Can't remember if they did the same to 2 or 3

Kinda bothers me, but my TV can change color temp so whatever. Otherwise, it's awesome

edit: VVV I'll fully admit that I'm in the wrong I'm just so used to the neutral tone that warm feels wrong to me now

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 31, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

One major change: the first movie was sort of neutral before but now everything's very warm

Can't remember if they did the same to 2 or 3

Kinda bothers me, but my TV can change color temp so whatever. Otherwise, it's awesome

That's how they originally looked. A lot of the previous editions had all sorts of color tweaking.

This is a good article on the restorations:
http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/May2008/PostFocus/page1.php

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah, they look amazing considering the source (nearly destroyed negative for Godfather 1) and going from the old DVDs to the new Blu-Rays is a big jump.

There's a great mini-documentary in the set on the restoration process, too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Casablanca/African Queen - $11.49

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AMSM9BI?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00AMSM9BI&adid=0SN821XNV9MK33PR927K

African Queen blew me away the first time I saw the Blu-Ray. Fantastic transfer.

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon still has the collector's set for $59, which is a great price:
http://www.amazon.com/Lawrence-Anni...0th+anniversary

While it's as big as a laserdisc box, the discs come in a regular plastic case. And you get an actual 70mm film frame.

Price on this one dropped to $44.99

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 1, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
drat, those are both great deals. Old movies with good transfers on blu-ray are just fantastic to watch. Ben Hur is probably one of my favorite looking blu-rays.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

That's the most recent restoration and it looks amazing so buy it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More Twilight Time announcements...

Thunderbirds Are Go/Thunderbird 6 Double Feature (1966/68, David Lane) - May 13 [from MGM]
Rollerball (1975, Norman Jewison) - May 13 [from MGM]
Fate is the Hunter (1964, Ralph Nelson) - May 13 [from Fox]
Two Rode Together (1961, John Ford) - May 13 [from Sony]

The Mechanic (1972, Michael Winner) - June 10 [from MGM]
The Train (1964, John Frankenheimer) - June 10 [from MGM]
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957, John Huston) - June 10 [from Fox]
Ressurected (1989, Paul Greengrass) - June 10 [from Film Four]
The Man from Laramie (1955, Anthony Mann) - June 10 [from Sony]

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 2, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

All of Image's Handmade Films titles are OOP including Time Bandits, The Long Good Friday, and Mona Lisa. All of which, as well as a few others were formerly licensed to Criterion on DVD and laserdisc. Time Bandits already has a 2K restoration and was utilized for the recent UK Blu by Arrow. The US disc is terrible quality - extreme DVNR and 1080i.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957, John Huston) - June 10 [from Fox]

I love this film, but... should I be worried that Twilight Time is doing it?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Red posted:

Yes and no. Twilight Time only puts out print runs of 3000 copies, so some titles you really need to grab it on the pre-order date. However, they get the transfers from the studios, so they're pretty consistently great. Pretty much anything licensed from Sony is top notch 4K origin.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Red posted:

It just means that you will be paying a premium price for a pretty barebones product if you decide to purchase it. I know some of their releases have been substandard but that's not the norm. I think they are mostly just boring and the limited edition thing is aggravating.

I missed out on the Golden Voyage of Sinbad because I couldn't fit it into my budget for a bit and then it sold out. :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

Yes and no. Twilight Time only puts out print runs of 3000 copies, so some titles you really need to grab it on the pre-order date. However, they get the transfers from the studios, so they're pretty consistently great. Pretty much anything licensed from Sony is top notch 4K origin.

leokitty posted:

It just means that you will be paying a premium price for a pretty barebones product if you decide to purchase it. I know some of their releases have been substandard but that's not the norm. I think they are mostly just boring and the limited edition thing is aggravating.

I missed out on the Golden Voyage of Sinbad because I couldn't fit it into my budget for a bit and then it sold out. :(

How often are they available on Amazon?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blazing Saddles: 40th Anniversary Edition - May 6

Early word is that it's basically the same except with a new Mel Brooks featurette and DTS HDMA 5.1 instead of DD 5.1. No new transfer.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Out of curiosity, what would be the cheapest region free bluray player I could get?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cool, Amazon finally sent me the $7.50 promotional credit from the Robocop Blu-Ray :) It's not a coupon I can use to see the new one in theaters, but it's $7.50 off any item I order from Amazon. Just as good!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cool, Amazon finally sent me the $7.50 promotional credit from the Robocop Blu-Ray :) It's not a coupon I can use to see the new one in theaters, but it's $7.50 off any item I order from Amazon. Just as good!

I'd say that's better because now you can actually get something that isn't terrible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I'd say that's better because now you can actually get something that isn't terrible.
Haha well I was gonna see the new Robocop in theaters anyway. Since I don't have the coupon, I'll just use the AMC gift card I have instead. And I'll the use that $7.50 on Amazon to buy Only God Forgives on Blu-Ray because I've been meaning to do that for a while anyway.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be the cheapest region free bluray player I could get?

I tried looking for one a bit ago and it seems like they have to be hard modded and typical price seems around $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
If you're handy with a soldering iron (or know someone who is) modchips for LG/Panasonic/Sony/etc. are a little under US$50 including shipping.
http://rattlebyte.com/Shop.php?lang=en&cat_id=1

You could pick up a Sony BDP-S5100 for $80 at Amazon and with a modchip you're under $130.

You could even keep it under $100 if you picked up one of the used or refurbed Panasonic BD77s on Amazon, and that modchip only requires a single wire (and the solder point actually has an unused pin next to it, so you can be a little sloppy and bridge the two.)

I have a fairly old Panasonic BD60 I modded many moons ago, still works like a champ and it wasn't too difficult for an amateur like me.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 4, 2014

• Locked thread