Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

spog posted:

How do you solve India's population crisis?

Built a cheap car for the masses that slaughters the occupants in a low speed accident.

Isn't this the current owner of Jaguar and Rover? :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

BraveUlysses posted:

Not to dissuade a wide-eyed engineering student, but should you go into automotive engineering you will find that ease of maintenance is not a priority when it comes to corporations designing cars. Corporate life as an engineer is not nearly as exciting as you might hope.

That's why I said "part of me." A very small part. The part that thinks I could convince the suits that a car designed around ease of maintenance would sell better. The stupid part.

Plus there's no way I'd actually give up on robotics. Because robotics is the best field. :c00lbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

How do you solve India's population crisis?

Built a cheap car for the masses that slaughters the occupants in a low speed accident.

I was in an accident almost exactly like that last year in a Yaris, so it's sort of kind of a similarly capable car.

Walked away with a couple bruises, was playing hockey 36 hours later. Go go safety standards. :whatup:

(on the other hand, insurance still totaled the car, unibody is a blessing and a curse)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

The Nano shouldn't really be compared to a normal passenger vehicle, it's so cheap it's meant to cross the divide between being on a scooter/motorcycle/rickshaw and a car. While I certainly wouldn't want to be in a collision in one, I'd rather that than getting hit on a scooter.

But people won't drive one with the same caution as on a scooter. People will see a small car and drive it like one. False sense of security or whatever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Splizwarf posted:

Isn't this the current owner of Jaguar and Rover? :laugh:

Also one of the biggest IT outsourcing firms. The Nano is pretty indicative of their attention to detail in everything they do.

(Tata is an absolutely humongous company that is literally involved in everything)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That's why I said "part of me." A very small part. The part that thinks I could convince the suits that a car designed around ease of maintenance would sell better. The stupid part.

Plus there's no way I'd actually give up on robotics. Because robotics is the best field. :c00lbert:

Keep going with it! It sounds far more interesting than what I'm stuck doing.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Also, what kind of :spergin: motherfuckers were arguing about thousandths of a degree?

Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-Lu0nknfA

From experience you might have just answered your own question. :laugh:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Yeah, the stupid part for sure, unfortunately. This is the same auto industry that's almost universally moved to "zero maintenance" (read: has no chance at lasting much beyond 100,000 miles) automatic transmissions.

Designing a car to be maintained would be seen by the beancounters as a waste of money up front and a loss of service dollars down the road.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

jammyozzy posted:

From experience you might have just answered your own question. :laugh:

Thousandths of a degree do matter in turbines. I didn't get it, either.

Disclaimer: I'm not a jet engine engineer, but I watch a lot of AgentJayZ on YouTube.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Thousadths of a degree don't matter in anything because they would be "impossible" to measure accurately anyway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Also, what kind of :spergin: motherfuckers were arguing about thousandths of a degree? I know precision is important in something that spins at thousands of RPM surrounded by exploding jet fuel, but I can't think of ANY instance where a few thousandths of a degree would make any actual difference.
The entire tolerance window was 0.0115°. Yeah.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BraveUlysses posted:

Not to dissuade a wide-eyed engineering student, but should you go into automotive engineering you will find that ease of maintenance is not a priority when it comes to corporations designing cars. Corporate life as an engineer is not nearly as exciting as you might hope.

My dad, who is a mechanical engineer, and has done his own auto work since he was a teenager, has bitched about automotive engineers almost every time we've done major work on anything newer than my '70 Cutlass. He's done mostly aerospace stuff for the last 20 years +. We both understand the realities of assembly lines and costs, but I tend to agree when it's some dumb little thing that ends up making us spend another hour or more because they couldn't move the loving bolt or whatever 1/4". Or some little plastic bit that ALWAYS breaks because they save 10 cents not making it out of metal. Or, my favorite, riveting and/or staking everything together instead of using god-damned bolts and screws.

I know, cars are designed to be built, not taken apart, but drat...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Thousadths of a degree don't matter in anything because they would be "impossible" to measure accurately anyway.

Clearly you don't do anything related to: navigation, precision CNC, silicon and IC work, turbine blade design, astronomy, or anyfuckingthing related to aerospace or optics. It's just three decimal places out. Also....

Do you really think the world is that simple?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Clearly you don't do anything related to: navigation, precision CNC, silicon and IC work, turbine blade design, astronomy, or anyfuckingthing related to aerospace or optics. It's just three decimal places out. Also....

Do you really think the world is that simple?

First, until about two months ago my major was actually Aerospace Engineering, so I actually know a fair bit about several of the things you mentioned. Not a ton, but enough to get myself in trouble.

Second, show me something that will accurately measure a thousandth of a degree.

edit for clarification: I'm not trying to be a dick. I've just done several google searches and have yet to come across a device that purports to measure angles with such accuracy.

edit for content: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gKoJeHYaZQ#t=2m25s

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 1, 2014

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Tactical Bonnet posted:

First, until about two months ago my major was actually Aerospace Engineering, so I actually know a fair bit about several of the things you mentioned. Not a ton, but enough to get myself in trouble.

Second, show me something that will accurately measure a thousandth of a degree.

edit for clarification: I'm not trying to be a dick. I've just done several google searches and have yet to come across a device that purports to measure angles with such accuracy.

This is an article describing the mechanism in the planned Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA) to measure gravitational waves via laser interferometry. The instrument is designed to steer incoming laser beams through a range of several hundred micro radians with very high tolerances for angular jitter (nano radians/Hz).

To put things into perspective for those who don't want to read the walls of text that I've linked, the LISA mission will put satellites into orbit separated from each other by about 5 million kilometers with lasers pointing between them. If one of the lasers is off by "just" 0.001 degree it will miss the other satellite by 50 miles. It should be noted that the program was scaled back a bit after NASA pulled out so you would now only be off by 10 miles.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 1, 2014

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Jitter and measuring whether an actual object is .001º out of spec are not the same thing.

Also that is all cool as poo poo. Thanks for the good reading.

Also also, Space is orders of magnitude different from anything that will be happening within the atmosphere(which is what we were discussing).

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 1, 2014

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Jitter and measuring whether an actual object is .001º out of spec are not the same thing.

Also that is all cool as poo poo. Thanks for the good reading.

Also also, Space is orders of magnitude different from anything that will be happening within the atmosphere(which is what we were discussing).

Google "autocollimator".

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Yadda yadda yadda BROKEN STUFF:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Longinus00 posted:

Google "autocollimator".

That both is awesome and makes me glad I will never work with anything requiring that much precision.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Devyl posted:

Yadda yadda yadda BROKEN STUFF:

:drat:

I'm sure that was a pants-making GBS threads couple of seconds.

Subaru? What's left of the bell-housing looks vaguely familiar...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

The entire tolerance window was 0.0115°. Yeah.

That's why we have seconds. 41,5 arcseconds, to be exact.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That both is awesome and makes me glad I will never work with anything requiring that much precision.

It's not crazy. We have to level our equipment tables that grind lenses by using instruments like that.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I believe the word I used to describe it was "awesome."

Tractor pulls are also awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km2ktOaV5kk

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That's why we have seconds. 41,5 arcseconds, to be exact.
Most drawings we get use decimal degrees, with DMS measurement as a reference.

This was on a particularly important feature, in generally you'll get a couple of degrees either way as a tolerance.

You know how rscott and others moan about the disconnect between drawing offices and what's actually happening/possible? This is the kind of thing he's talking about.

As to how you measure it, it's actually pretty easy - you find your senior metrologist, say "measure that", and run the gently caress away.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Terrible Robot posted:

:drat:

I'm sure that was a pants-making GBS threads couple of seconds.

Subaru? What's left of the bell-housing looks vaguely familiar...

Honda. Follow-up to the kid who shattered his flywheel I posted about earlier.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I believe the word I used to describe it was "awesome."

Tractor pulls are also awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km2ktOaV5kk
Yes they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsjRvYnjDUE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just spent half an hour of my life I'll never get back watching tractor pull videos.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You're welcome.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Some high school kid's 2000 Chevy Blazer comes in on a hook with the complaint of sudden and complete loss of brakes. Aside from the empty master cylinder, I figured I'd start with the dirtiest wheel first:

I think I see the culprit...

A dangerous mix of youthful ignorance and gross negligence. :negative:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Slavvy posted:

I just spent half an hour of my life I'll never get back watching tractor pull videos.
:getin:
http://www.tractorpull.co.nz/

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Needs more failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnCywohEjWQ
Aparently, there is a class that is garden tractor lawn mower size, there is one at 0:58.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's everything from kids classes where you run basically souped up lawn tractors to the superheavy classes where you have machines with 3-4 supercharged V12s, quad gas turbines, etc all fuelled by money and madness.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We had an order once for some bolts for a guy running an Allison engine on his tractor, so it appears to be a thing in the UK as well.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

New Zealand is looking even more appealing.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

InitialDave posted:

We had an order once for some bolts for a guy running an Allison engine on his tractor, so it appears to be a thing in the UK as well.

yep, there is a tractor pulling association and they do 'events' at most of the agricultural shows - I go and watch most years at one local to me, some crazy poo poo gets 'raced'. Theres one with a turbine engine from a helicopter, a few running russian 40+ litre diesels, and the noise is just. fantastic. :D

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

New Zealand is looking even more appealing.

i saw a super truck race thing here too one time

e: it was cool because one of the trucks did a mean burnout not by dropping the clutch, just by giving it gas and slowly starting one set of wheels turning

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Super trucks occasionally come here yeah. They're speed limited at pukekohe IIRC to avoid overly fast entry speeds into the hairpin at the end of the back straight.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
The town my University is in hosts the tractor pull national championships or something like that, and I could hear those engines roaring 10 miles away while standing in wal-mart. Loud just doesn't cover it.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Not so much a mechanical failure, more of an oddity. I'm pretty sure at least one of the cats / heatshields on the wagon is completely ruined judging by the horrible clattering my exhaust makes everywhere I go. Considering a replacement cat is $365 for the cat alone, I've let it run for a while now. But driving home a week or so ago, suddenly the exhaust was making a horrible racket that sounded like someone threw a bucket of marbles in a washing machine. I started to worry a bit, thinking the cat had finally completely blown to bits, but performance was still fine, so I just rode it out the last ten minutes home scratching my head all the way while getting some pretty :stare: looks passing people.

Got underneath and took a look...

Lo and behold, a squashed coke can had caught the draft of the car as it passed over it, flung up from the road, and jammed itself between the tailshaft and the floor. It made me :psyduck: trying to figure out the odds of it flying up and actually lodging itself in there hard enough not to fall out, considering the road home isn't exactly smooth. It was wedged in there real good. Took me a minute or two to reef it out.

E: Speaking of coke cans, it reminds me of a friend who bought a shitbox Datsun 180B. It was a $500 run around while his Cherokee was in getting major surgery done after blowing a trans. He couldn't be without a car for the time the mechanic needed the Jeep, so he picked up the first side of the road special he saw with the intention of selling it / scrapping it when the Jeep got back on the road.

Driving along one night suddenly the rear end starts to shake and the motor starts coughing badly, like it was losing fuel. Suddenly there's a massive 'WHOMP' sound and something is dragging out the rear end. He pulls over, jumps out and see's a trail of debris behind the car. He picks a piece up and it's a coke can, covered in some sort of black tar glue poo poo. More coke cans. Wire mesh. Coat hanger wire. There is a stream of poo poo behind the car for a good 200 metres. He looked under the back and sees the fuel tank laying on the ground, covered in more of this black sticky tar crap. The straps that hold the tank in had rusted through, so rather than replace them, the PO just jammed a bunch of wire, cans and mesh under the arse end to hold it in, then sprayed body deadener type crap all over it to hold it in.

H1KE fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

TrinityOfDeath posted:

The town my University is in hosts the tractor pull national championships or something like that, and I could hear those engines roaring 10 miles away while standing in wal-mart. Loud just doesn't cover it.

Are you a Falcon?

I was in the area deploying traffic counters a few years back, the day before pull weekend the roads were a constant parade of clapped-out 3/4-ton pickups rolling coal onto the camper trailers they were pulling behind them.
Woo! Hope you enjoy sleeping in soot! (though I bet they didn't mind..)