Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Gaz-L posted:

I seriously never got the point of those UK only shows. I mean, it didn't take long for us to realise nothing would ever happen on the shows, lest the US audience feel cheated, and the matches were rarely that special. Sometimes it even seemed deliberately half-assed, because you'd usually get the 'heel and manager in handicap match' gimmick.

The only advantage to ordinary PPVs I can think of is the ability to have them at a normal time over here and still be live.

One Night Only (1997) featured a fairly significant title change when HBK defeated the Bulldog for the European title. Owen vs Vader was a good match as well. I have never seen Bret vs Taker from this show but I have heard good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bret/Taker was very good in my opinion but it is tainted by the non-finish. Better than Summerslam most certainly.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Poison Jam posted:

gently caress you I'd forgotten about that. I mean seriously, I think that I should send you my therapy bills.

Here's a question, after watching OSW Review with the Jake Roberts/Randy Savage angle where the cobra bites Randy (eventually), were there any complaints about it? It does seem to be something that shouldn't be on a kids wrestling show and I'm wondering if there was any fallout then or did parents groups only unleash their ire during the attitude era when a lot of it was just trash tv?

It wasn't that bad -- you know what was traumatic on a kids show, was when Outlaw Ron Bass cut Brutus Beefcake's forehead open with a spur in the middle of the ring. That was some rough crap as a tike.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

No kidding. That giant red X made it seem like he'd chopped Beefcake's face off or something.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Hockles posted:

Was the ladder match at Armageddon (featuring exploding Joey Mercury face) the unannounced one or was it the MNM vs Hardys?

Armageddon 2006 had the 4-Way Ladder match (Hooliganz vs. MNM vs. The Blue Bloods vs. The Hardyz). Teddy Long announced it during the PPV, and nobody had a chance to buy the show for that match. Without that match, the PPV lineup looked like rear end, and they must've known it. Why you don't advertise that match ahead of time, I have no idea.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Was Buff Bagwell ever likable or good at anything? If not, how did he stay employed so long? All I remember was hating his stupid hat, his stupid face, and his stupid "not gonna do the jay oh bee" worked shoots.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Halloween Jack posted:

Was Buff Bagwell ever likable or good at anything? If not, how did he stay employed so long? All I remember was hating his stupid hat, his stupid face, and his stupid "not gonna do the jay oh bee" worked shoots.

Buff was the stuff, and the girls just couldn't get enough

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Halloween Jack posted:

He was an amaerican male.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

I honestly don't know about Marcus Alexander Bagwell and his 37 tag team partners (Scorpio, Patriot, Scotty Riggs, and there must be others. Firebreaker Chip, maybe?). I get the impression he was a competent worker, but his personality didn't really come through (maybe that's a good thing) as WCW wasn't super promo heavy on low-end midcard tag teams who primarily appeared on WCW Saturday Night.

Then he got Buff, I guess, and joined with Scott Norton to form the nWo #2 tag team: Vicious and Delicious. Norton was always awesome, and as best I recall, put in all the good stuff. Bagwell mostly wore top hats with various catchphrases and posed.

His Buff Blockbuster was a neat move, though.

After Norton disappeared, Bagwell became really really awful, involving his mom, Lex Luger, and all kinds of ridiculousness. For one fleeting moment, he had a ton of sympathy for his neck injury he suffered in ring. While somewhat serious, he recovered sooner than advertised. I remember his cover being blown by someone on a board I read seeing him walking just fine at church or something. Buff came back to TV in a wheelchair, and Hogan pushed him over to get heat (which I guess he desperately needed?? gently caress him). Then it was all a big ruse or something, I changed the channel.

That's more than I ever want to talk about Buff Bagwell or his crappy straight-to-home video movies.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You kind of summed it up. Buff was honestly pretty good as a guy everyone just wanted to murder. It really worked when he had someone like Norton to hide behind while he pranced around like a douchebag.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

As odd as it seems today, back in the 80's and 90's, Wrestling promotions actually booked to try and attract a female audience. Buff fit the "hot country boy" role to a T. Factor in that he was also a Georgia boy, and a well known state high school athlete and he did draw well. He could cut a promo and had tons of charisma.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Didn't Buff have his mom call out sick for him once.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

She was his agent!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

It wasn't that bad -- you know what was traumatic on a kids show, was when Outlaw Ron Bass cut Brutus Beefcake's forehead open with a spur in the middle of the ring. That was some rough crap as a tike.

oh man this was the first time i was scared for any wrestler the X reallly didnt help because all you heard was brutus screaming and the commentators calling for it to be stopped whatever "it" was

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I would say that right before he got his neck broken, he was starting to look better in the ring (particlarly when eh worked Japan). A drat shame.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Where did the "it is not wise to troll me" gag come from?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ZDar Fan posted:

Where did the "it is not wise to troll me" gag come from?

eugene jerome having a mental collapse

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Armageddon 2006 had the 4-Way Ladder match (Hooliganz vs. MNM vs. The Blue Bloods vs. The Hardyz). Teddy Long announced it during the PPV, and nobody had a chance to buy the show for that match. Without that match, the PPV lineup looked like rear end, and they must've known it. Why you don't advertise that match ahead of time, I have no idea.

During that period Vince had some bug up his rear end about trying new things on PPV to be unpredictable.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Supreme Allah posted:

Didn't Buff have his mom call out sick for him once.

Yeah, JR had a story about that one during one of the roundtables.

There was also some :wtc: angle that led to a Buff's kayfabe mother on a forklift pole match.

http://blip.tv/mues/rope-break-judy-bagwell-on-a-pole-6719938

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Red posted:

Buff came back to TV in a wheelchair, and Hogan pushed him over to get heat (which I guess he desperately needed?? gently caress him). Then it was all a big ruse or something, I changed the channel.

That's more than I ever want to talk about Buff Bagwell or his crappy straight-to-home video movies.

The injury was caused by Rick Steiner giving him a top rope bulldog during a match they were having. Rick put him down wrong and it was serious enough that everyone from the locker room broke character to check on him. Doctors said he was lucky to have survived and he may be lucky to train again in six months.

Fast forward 6 months Buff heals better than expected and Rick calls him to the ring to apologize. Now Buff was getting tons of sympathy and a huge ovation from the crowd so this makes what happens next even harder to understand. Rick apologizes and things are well but then Scott Steiner comes out and attacks his brother.

Then during the attack Buff gets up easily from his wheelchair and starts double teaming Rick with Scott(the Steiners broke up months before at this point). Buff then proceeds to rip his shirt revealing an NWO shirt underneath. Bam! Then Buff proceeds to do nothing of worth since until his big RAW match for WCW duing the InVasion angle. Ugh.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Never forget that Buff's mother was a tag team champion in WCW, long before Russo ever set foot in the company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

The injury was caused by Rick Steiner giving him a top rope bulldog during a match they were having. Rick put him down wrong and it was serious enough that everyone from the locker room broke character to check on him. Doctors said he was lucky to have survived and he may be lucky to train again in six months.

Fast forward 6 months Buff heals better than expected and Rick calls him to the ring to apologize. Now Buff was getting tons of sympathy and a huge ovation from the crowd so this makes what happens next even harder to understand. Rick apologizes and things are well but then Scott Steiner comes out and attacks his brother.

Then during the attack Buff gets up easily from his wheelchair and starts double teaming Rick with Scott(the Steiners broke up months before at this point). Buff then proceeds to rip his shirt revealing an NWO shirt underneath. Bam! Then Buff proceeds to do nothing of worth since until his big RAW match for WCW duing the InVasion angle. Ugh.

Thus denying Buff Bagwell his status as The Rock.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Manwithastick posted:

Wasnt it like the time that Jacqueline lost her top during the match making only 1 of 2 ever intentional booby bearings?

There was a Raw (probably somewhere around '98-'99) with a woman in the crowd holding a sign that said something like "Hey Hunter! Suck These!" pointing to her boobs. She lifted up her shirt after HHH told her to "show us the goods!" but they black barred it. I'm pretty sure this happened again on Sunday Night Heat the next week. This infuriated my parents quite a bit, who until that point were fine with us watching a tv show about guys fake beating the hell out of each other.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

MassRafTer posted:

Thus denying Buff Bagwell his status as The Rock.

Not saying he would've been huge but the sympathy push had momentum. Of course Buff had to gently caress it up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

Not saying he would've been huge but the sympathy push had momentum. Of course Buff had to gently caress it up.

In an interview with Alvarez he was pretty bitter about the turn because if he stayed face he said he would have been The Rock. Not the next Rock or as big as the Rock, he would have been The Rock. How did Buff gently caress it up? He didn't book that turn. He hosed up a lot during his career but that wasn't on him.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Ohhh I thought that was his choice? Woops my bad.

He would have hosed his push up anyways with him being Buff Bagwell and all.

ColeM fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 31, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MassRafTer posted:

During that period Vince had some bug up his rear end about trying new things on PPV to be unpredictable.

Was this the same time that referees on ECW didn't know the outcome of the matches and were told to just follow the rules like they were "supposed to?"

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It should have been Lance Storm in that completely dead match in Tacoma. :argh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

Was this the same time that referees on ECW didn't know the outcome of the matches and were told to just follow the rules like they were "supposed to?"

That came a bit later when Morrison and Miz were tagging on ECW. I think that edict came down, a few weeks later a ref had to make an unscripted three count and a few weeks after that he was fired. It was across all brands though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I always found the Buff/Steiner pairing entertaining. The little vignettes going to the gym and the old "be cops for a day" routine was good. Buff guys doing buff things. Plus "buff" is a fun word.

Buff buff buff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

I always found the Buff/Steiner pairing entertaining. The little vignettes going to the gym and the old "be cops for a day" routine was good. Buff guys doing buff things. Plus "buff" is a fun word.

Buff buff buff.

They were involved in one of the craziest cheap heat segments in St. Louis when Steiner started making GBS threads on the Cardinals.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oldpainless posted:

Buff buff buff.

As crass as this is, I can't help giggling a little bit every time someone calls him Butt Fagwell. I have the same reaction to Butt 'Shitman' Fart.

Also I am 12.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

sticklefifer posted:

As crass as this is, I can't help giggling a little bit every time someone calls him Butt Fagwell. I have the same reaction to Butt 'Shitman' Fart.

Also I am 12.

great post

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Buff buff buff.

I remember following their feud with Booker T- this must've been early 1999 so the wheels were coming off WCW as a whole but it was a nice little angle.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It should have been Lance Storm in that completely dead match in Tacoma. :argh:

Naw, it should've been DDP.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Can anyone remember a Dean Malenko promo? I can't seem to remember any.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

natetimm posted:

He didn't do much on the mic to my knowledge. All I remember of him was that if you got in the ring with him, you were gonna be a human pretzel.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

natetimm posted:

The interview he gave with Mean Gene after his loss to Jericho at Uncensored 98 is one I'll never forget. Gene kind of berates him for losing and asks where he's going from here and Dean just says "home."

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So what is the deal with Shawn Michaels "losing his smile"? Was it a storyline thing, or a real backstage thing, or some mix thereof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

So what is the deal with Shawn Michaels "losing his smile"? Was it a storyline thing, or a real backstage thing, or some mix thereof?
The official explanation is Shawn had a bad knee injury and supposedly was afraid he was done for good, the suspected reason is that he probably was hurt, but could've worked through it and didn't because he didn't want to drop the belt to Bret.